Texas Instruments Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Applications Engineer Rotation Program

Texas Instruments Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview Questions

Interviews at Texas Instruments

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The process consisted of 3 interviews. The first was 30 minutes on campus after a career fair. The interviewer asked me to draw a block diagram for a system I've built before. He also asked about challenges I've faced throughout college and how I dealt with them. The second is a 1 hour webcam interview. The interviewer asked more behavioral questions similar to the first interview. For the third and final interview I was flown in to TI Dallas headquarters for a social dinner with other candidates and current members of the rotation program. The next day I attended a campus tour and two back-to-back interviews. For these I presented a project I had done before and was asked additional behavioral and technical questions. These technical questions are based on your project so don't expect to derive Maxwell's equations. Others have had to build different configurations of Op Amps or describe a Bode plot. I guess I was lucky.

Interview Questions

• You must have good examples of work that you have done in teams. That is ALL they care about. Technical knowledge can be taught. Do not be afraid to admit you or your team's failures.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Texas Instruments

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

I got an on-campus interview though my university career fair.
    1st is the brief career fair face to face 10 minutes interview and they will decide whether give you an on-campus interview or not.
    2nd is on-campus interview: General questions and behavior questions about your resume. Try to be persuasive that you know the field you are doing now.
    3rd is a web-cam interview with a manager from California. He asked some behavior questions and some technical questions as well. My advice is pleas be prepared for this one.
    After you passed the 3rd interview you will be invited to Dallas for final on-site interview and prepare a 10 mines presentation. The night before the interview you will have dinner with the people who are currently in the program now. They do not have any impact on your process but you can ask some questions like how is the final interview looks like and what are some things that TI values in this position.
    4th is an on-site interview. You will have 2 interviews with 2 application engineer managers each time. Please print your presentations for the interviewers and be ready to answer any question about the project. You should also expect some behavior and technical questions.

I got the call the same day after I did my final on-site interview and the HR told me I have 2 weeks to decide. I got the official offer letter the next day. I accepted it because the salary and benefit is really good.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are about my project. One question is about buck and boost converter.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer is really good so I did not negotiate.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Texas Instruments in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online after attending a on conference where they were hiring for mostly hardware engineering stuff. After applying, I received an email via HireVue asking me to answer a few questions and record my responses. Shortly after, I received another email asking for my availability in order to schedule a 1 hour interview with a manager from California. The next day, I received a call where they wanted to fly me out to dallas, tx for the final interview. They wanted me to prepare a 10 minute presentation describing a technical project I worked on.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were based on my project. I had 2 one-hour interviews with 2 people each. One asked me to derive the transfer function for a circuit that he designed while I was presenting. The other group asked me to solve an equation that they had on the board.   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

The overall process took 3 weeks, first round was on campus, right after the Fall Career Fair. It was basic resume screening and slight technical questions. 2nd round was via HireVue and consisted of a 1 hour interview. This interview was technical and behavioral. The third round was on site in Dallas TX where the candidates presented a small powerpoint in 2 back to back interviews. These interviews were also both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Draw the inside of a processor.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

First round is a virtual interview asking various behavioral questions. Second interview is virtual interview with current engineering managers mainly about your resume. Third interview is on site in Dallas and is interviews with more managers as well as a tour of the facility.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

This was the worst interview I have ever had in my life. The managers who interview you don't really consider your qualifications, and I sensed this right away when I shook their hands before the interview started.

To get more into the details, you have 3 interviews. The first is automated questions online. Then you have an online interview with someone who went through the program. Afterwards you are flown to Dallas for 2 interviews involving 2 managers in each. The questions were mainly behavioral questions but seemed unprofessional going into personal questions. Without getting into legal ramifications, I won't mention the actual questions here, but they were personal, and I almost felt some were illegal to be asked.

Going to TI really opened my eyes about the company. It isn't innovative, and seems like a very old company with people who have been there for years, deaf to new ideas. I heard this from other engineers who were at the company while I was there!!

I don't recommend this company if you are someone who really wants to do something meaningful. If you are satisfied with having a simple life, family, kids, house, and have some typical 9-5 job then TI is OK.

If you are wanting to do something that has meaning and gives you a purpose, I'm sure you won't find it here if the people that were interviewing you are true managers there and represent the company.

Find something you enjoy. Life is too short to work for companies like this.

Applications Engineer Rotation Program Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Texas Instruments.

Interview

Three interviews in total. The first is self filmed on webcam through the HireVue application.

The second interview is a webcam interview with an engineer at TI. The questions were based purely on my resume with many derived behavioral questions sparked by the initial questions of my resume projects. I was asked to draw the block diagrams of a few of my projects and explain them. The key with this interview is to know your projects well and be sure to be honest about your role in the project. They will only be concerned with team based projects.

The last interview is at their campus in Dallas. They will fly you there and pay for your hotel and food. The night before the interview you will go to dinner with a few of the Applications Engineer Rotation program members and have the chance to ask them questions. The next day you will have two separate interviews, each with two Applications Managers and each lasting 45 minutes. For these interviews they will ask you to prepare a short presentation on your senior design project. Again, these interviews were based purely on questions about my project and behavioral questions derived from my answers. I was given an offer they day after my last interview.

Interview Questions

• This is irrelevant as it will vary based on what you have on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

The initial stage of the interview is done through the online interview software. For the first round, you are required to answer a selection of prerecorded question from people in the position that you are applying for.
    The prerecorded question may make it seem a bit impersonal but it is important to focus and act like you are talking to a person directly since you only get one shot at recording your response

Interview Questions

• Mention a time you failed in a project.   1 Answer

Applications Engineering Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Texas Instruments (Dallas, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

Initially gave video responses to pre-recorded videos from other employees within TI.

I was then asked for a second live online interview with more senior employees and that process involved basic behavioral and technical questions based on my resume.

Finally, I was asked to fly to their Dallas campus. They give you a dinner with current Applications Engineers where you can ask them about their roles, responsibilities, etc.
    The next day I was interviewed twice by 2 senior level employees and then 2 newer employees. I was asked to show my requested presentation during both interviews during which I was asked technical questions about the project I was presenting.
    Once this was completed, I was allowed to leave and received a response the next day saying they appreciated my time and effort but I was not a close enough match for their qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Explain the purpose of bypass capacitors.   1 Answer