2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company values diversity and cares about work/life balance" (in 24 reviews)

• "The annual company meeting is really fun" (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • "When things get particularly busy, you will need to pay closer attention to your work-life balance" (in 30 reviews)

• "Because the company is growing so fast, sometimes changes in your day-to-day tasks can happen just as fast" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company! Lucky to be a part of it!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The list is too long of the many reasons why 2U is a solid company. I think everyone can agree the number one reason is the people! Everyone is beyond friendly and nice no matter what department you are in. Growth potential is amazing whether it’s within your department or to another. The benefits are outstanding and that includes PTO and all of the holidays including a week off during winter holiday! They make it their mission to make it a positive fun happy place to be and I can honestly say I love going to work everyday!

Cons

None at all. I feel fortunate to be a part of the rocket ship.

Oct 4, 2018 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We're happy to know that you feel supported by your fellow 2Utes, though, we're not surprised!

2. "Senior Director"

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

Great positive culture and ever growing benefits

Cons

Fast paced and fast growing company can demand a lot at times

Dec 6, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute. While you are now a 2U alumnus, you will always be a part of the 2U story and we are grateful for the contributions you made while you were here... More

"Not the Best, but Not the Worst"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity for growth, good starting salary if this is your first full-time job, great company culture overall with supportive teammates, and decent benefits.

Cons

Very repetitive for admissions (it is a sales role after all), leadership is young. People within the company move up quickly and sometimes this is their first leadership/senior position so things can be disorganized/unstable. Additionally, a lot of the work can be done remotely. I think they should offer working remotely as an option if you've been at the company for a certain number of years.. clearly we can do the job well if we've been here for 2+ years and we don't need to be babysat. Especially with admissions or student success, the work is pretty straightforward.

Advice to Management

TRAIN NEW MANAGERS. I was told that new managers receive essentially NO training upon entering into managerial roles. Do you know how detrimental that is?

4. "Great Company"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company values diversity and cares about work/life balance

Cons

Growing company and changes occur a lot

5. "Placement Specialist"

Pros

Encouraging team members, nice gym

Cons

Never ending goals, program guidelines are too strict to sell to internship sites

Dec 13, 2018 – 2U Communications

We're happy to know that you feel supported by your fellow 2Utes, though, we're not surprised! Feedback like yours is critical and we greatly appreciate your assessment!

6. "2U Review"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, work-culture, fun company meetings and events, and pay

Cons

Micromanagement, repetitiveness of the work tasks, and poor management

Dec 6, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are committed to working with all managers at 2U so they are prepared to excel within their leadership positions. As we grow, this will continue to be a top... More

"Work, or High School?"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good company for kids fresh out of college, looking for their first "real" job.
    There are free snacks, puzzles, and plenty of company activities and field trips.
    The annual Company Meeting is a lot of fun. Lots of cheating and lots of people getting drunk and embarrassing themselves, but still fun. Halloween is fun too.
    AC is essentially a call center/sales job (telemarketing), but the pay is decent for what the job is (but not overly competitive for such a high cost of living area). But if you aren't overly ambitious and are fine living paycheck to paycheck, it is a reasonably comfortable gig.

Cons

The work culture is reminiscent of high school. It is very cliquey, and the key to surviving is to fit in.
    Advancement is nothing more than popularity contests -- the "pretty people" and "instafamous" kids are given more opportunities.
    Despite existing to provide remote education, the company is woefully backwards when it comes to remote employment. Unless you are part of the cool crowd, your chances of ever getting to work from home are slim to zero.
    Despite cool sounding job titles, a lot of the positions are nothing more than monotonous telemarketing gigs that could easily be (and probably will be) outsourced.
    Work-life balance is difficult. At 2U you are supposed to "buy in" (or more accurately "drink the kool-aid") which means your life needs to revolve around 2U. You need to hang out with other 2Uters, go to all the 2U activities, post about 2U on your social accounts, talk to all your friends about 2U, get your friends to quit their jobs and join 2U. The whole mentality is a lot like a pyramid scheme: "if we can convince other people we are happy here, maybe we will be happy too!"

Advice to Management

Snacks and puzzles and field trips are great -- for kindergarteners. Don't put such a heavy emphasis on the juice boxes and play time, give your employees perks that matter. Remote work is something that costs the company nothing, but could actually improve the lives of your employees. Focus on meaningful perks rather than the same things we got as toddlers. Let your teams grow up.
    I understand that you are trying to create a fun, hip workplace in order to attract millennials and keep them happy. But the atmosphere you have created is borderline cultish, with people sacrificing their real lives to be "better 2Uters."
    Stop hiring people based on their cool factor. You have way too many employees who were hired based on their social media impact, rather than their skills and work ethic. Make 2U more than just a hangout for kids that don't want to grow up. Make it a thriving business that allows people to live incredible lives once they the office for the day.

"Potential remains"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HQ office setting, decent people, benefits aren't bad, nature of the business

Cons

Work/life balance, too much parity between departments, bogus budget process, lack of professional development, arbitrary promotions, inability to scale

Advice to Management

Retention, retention, retention. Historically, 2U has done well obtaining talent but there is little desire to stick around among mid-level employees. The secret isn't unlimited PTO or increasing the required, forced commitment after completing a program. Reward employees, pay competitive salaries. Provide professional development, not a subpar management program conducted by mid-level managers who have worked nowhere else other than 2U. Send employees to conferences, cover professional certification and training, provide mentoring and shadowing, add job duties that can help develop a professional in the field rather than an expert in the niche industry 2U covers. Understand that some employees are worked to the bone. In one position I regularly worked 50+ hours a week and in another could have easily gotten by working 35 (there is a problem with the former, not the latter). Figure out the budget process - it shouldn't be some arduous process that no one understands and changes every year. Whoever is making the budget decisions needs to make educated decisions - listen to the requestor, they know what their department needs - not some c-suite level employee who is in the office once a week. Flexible working hours - how a technology company who specializes in distance education cannot put together a decent policy allowing flexible working arrangments is astonishing to me. Instead, you have departments on both ends of the spectrum. Diversify because it's the right thing to do and do it naturally. The efforts made thus far have seemed forced and disingenuous. Learn how to scale. How many times have departments had to "level". Stop promoting favorites or those with tenure alone. Promote where it is earned or hire externally. Otherwise, you'll keep ending up with an overload of "seniors", the title ceases to mean anything, and then you're back to square one. Increase your annual increase or bonus. Make a conscious effort to improve the technological aspect of the product provided. There is so much potential but I've watched it decline over my three years with the company. While I'm thankful for the opportunity, I am happy to have moved on. I hope that sentiment can be different for my former colleagues.

Dec 7, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are concerned to hear about your negative experience. Your insights into some of our growing pains are valuable in understanding what’s most important to our... More

9. "Admissions Counselor"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The CEO, Chip, is really great. He's very passionate and very transparent with where he stands with the vision of the company and how he plans to get there. The work perks are great - unlimited snacks, coffee machines, tea, game rooms. The annual company meeting is really fun. The work environment is pretty relaxed and the politics are minimal. It's an organization that truly welcomes anyone from any background and it's evident throughout. Overall, it's a great place to work.

Cons

The work is monotonous and it's often difficult to close (90 calls a day with expectation to close one person a week. Varies per team). However, if you persist, things come to fruition. There isn't much to complain about.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I loved my team and my manager. At times, I felt like my input was unheard at times. Other than that, it was evident that management cared about your success and growth.

Nov 29, 2018 – 2U Communications

"Admissions Counselor"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

The culture is great, benefits are generous, and the people are genuinely friendly.

Cons

There is not as much upward mobility as they say. The pay great for education, but not when compared to other DC jobs that require a Bachelors degree (Masters preferred)

Nov 29, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience, as we strive to provide an excellent benefits for all 2Utes. Feedback like yours is critical to us accomplishing mission and we greatly appreciate your... More