2U Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2019

3.8
2U CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek
Pros
  • "Incredibly fun environment (monthly happy hours, snacks, company meeting (great speakers and performers)(in 43 reviews)

• "Great work life balance with unlimited PTO(in 34 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lucky to call this my job"

Current Employee - Brand Marketing Coordinator in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

Inspiring and collaborative environment Opportunities for growth within departments Great leaders who know how to manage people Unlimited PTO Work from home 1 day per week (at least) Like minded people, who have a "student first" mentality Incredibly fun environment (monthly happy hours, snacks, company meeting (great speakers and performers) Salary is competitive All higher-ups are really friendly and... involved with employees

Cons

401k match could be better

2U2019-06-17

July 1, 20192U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you're enjoying your time at 2U!

2. "IT Helpdesk Associate"

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company culture is incredible

Cons

Hard to move up when you really want to. Some internal positions are already flagged for more senior team memebers.

Advice to Management

Please fight for your teams promotions

2U2019-09-25

September 30, 20192U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute! Feedback like yours is critical to us accomplishing our mission and we greatly appreciate your assessment. We are a fast-paced company and acknowledge that there is room for improvement as we continue to expand. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

"Navigating Choppy Waters"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive salaries for higher ed space - Approachable leadership - Growth opportunities for those that make a point to stand out - Friendly coworkers - On-site gym, cafeteria, and coffee bar - Fun company events and generous PTO policy - Mission driven: genuinely achieves high-level outcomes for students and partner universities

Cons

- Complicated business model in a volatile space that is subject to a lot of scrutiny from both the public and political arenas - Clumsy handling of change management (several influential and beloved Admissions leaders hastily let go without apparent anticipation of negative morale ripple effect that has since followed) - Inefficient practices and shortcuts/workarounds as commonly implemented strategies - With a... few exceptions, not many inspiring, thoughtful leaders remain within the Admissions department

Advice to Management

Take time to understand what contributions your individual employees are making; specifically those who are passionate about the business and leading in ways that positively shape culture, motivate people to come to work, and inspire others to bring their best to the job every day. As it stands, there’s currently an apparent communication breakdown at the Director/VP level, and the future is unclear in the eyes of... the majority of those in the Admissions department. Optimism once abounded. Now, uncertainty and anxiety is the prevailing sentiment. There is still the possibility of a very bright future ahead, but it hinges on how leadership chooses to navigate this very volatile time in the company’s journey.

2U2019-10-15

"Overall Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I worked at 2U for 3 years and had a great experience working with incredible people. The pro's inclue: -Amazing culture -Unlimited PTO -Good benefits package -Great location (Denver) -Collaborative environment -Mission driven -Friendly and engaging upper management -A fun place to work

Cons

-Challenging to move up in the department and can be very political. -It seems that Senior Leadership is very out of touch with the actual work that their employees are doing compared to what they are selling. -Salary does not match the actual work in Student Engagement department -Change mangement needs improvement

2U2019-10-13

October 18, 20192U Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your 2U experience. We’re growing quickly, revealing areas we need to continue to focus on, and we are continually making improvements for our employees, our university partners, and their students. Employee feedback (both current and former) is critical to hear and we welcome the chance to learn more about your time at 2U. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

5. "Overall Solid"

Current Employee - Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, Unlimited PTO, Employees perks

Cons

Current uncertainty about growth and holding leadership positions.

2U2019-10-18
  6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home, Great Culture, great management

Cons

Unwilling/No salary negotiation at hire

2U2019-10-17

"Do more with less"

Former Employee - Admission Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, and honestly just the people

Cons

PMP, raised goals but cut spending on out program and would hold the counselors accountable if they didn't hit unrealistic admission goals.

Advice to Management

Get better, overall, get better. You mass fire managers and directors to save 12 million but yet spend tens of millions on your meetings and halloween every year. I know numerous people who gave you there careers and never wanted commission which people should have received or stock but then you fire the people who gave you everything. Yet you still have no idea what you are doing.

2U2019-10-09

October 14, 20192U Communications

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience at 2U. At 2U, we are proud of our people-first, highly collaborative, and team-oriented culture, and this includes company-wide events. These events are a critical part of our culture and what makes 2U, 2U. The recent restructuring was done to put the student journey first. It is agile and leverages our learnings from more than 70 partners and a decade at the forefront of digital education transformation. While it’s never easy to part with colleagues, these decisions were made thoughtfully to create a stronger 2U. Our business is healthy, growing, and today, we believe no other company is better positioned to help universities serve the quickly evolving needs of learners. Employee feedback is critical to hear and we welcome the chance to learn more about your experience. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

"Management disconnect"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great office (gym, gourmet meals for cheap, unlimited snacks)

Cons

Management disconnect, slightly-phony company culture, weak camaraderie because a lot of people are remote

Advice to Management

Management checks in with its employees weekly but is quick to be much more critical than supportive. There is a lot of micromanaging and I've seen colleagues get put, somewhat unnecessarily, on what they call these "corrective action" plans (more like "Cover Management's you-know-what" plans so they can make it easier to fire you). Managers can be somewhat dishonest and unwilling to help. It seems like they want... you to not so much work hard, but work the way they want you to work. And they tell you to ask questions, but don't ask too many. It feels like admissions is the so-called "lifeblood" of the company and other departments get treated like second-class citizens. I have never worked in admissions but a lot of people seem to feel they are basically telemarketers. And while there is much hoopla over the company meeting, it feels like a lot of the stuff the company promotes is pure fluff and almost cult-like. I've always felt like the perks and the fancy office and all that stuff is meant to distract and take away from some of the core things about the company that are negative.

2U2019-10-04

October 11, 20192U Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your insights into some of our growing pains, revealing areas we need to continue to focus on, and we are continually making improvements for our employees, our university partners, and their students. One example is a required training curriculum for all people managers at every level, covering comprehensive leadership skills. At 2U, we are proud of our people-first culture and the importance of having candid, honest, and open conversations about the business. We’re disappointed to hear that you don’t feel this and think the work of your team is undervalued. We would like for every 2Ute to feel as though they can take pride in coming to work and provide white glove service to our university partners and their students. Employee feedback is critical to hear and we welcome the chance to learn more about your time at 2U. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

"Great company, great mission, poor business decisions"

Former Employee - Admissions

I worked at 2U full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, thriving company culture, strong team members

Cons

The business model is flawed, after over 70 people laid off they are still making crazy business decisions

2U2019-10-15

October 18, 20192U Communications

Employee feedback is important to hear as we continue to grow and evolve our culture. While you are no longer with 2U, we genuinely value your feedback and we would like to speak to you about your experience. Please reach out to feedback@2U.com and reference "my Glassdoor review" so we can talk.

"A lot of change but overall a great mission driven company with competitive benefits"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time for more than a year

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Competitive Salary, a lot of training for entry level positions

Cons

401 match, decent but not great benefits

Advice to Management

For team members to want to perform well and show up with a positive attitude most days, they need to like you. Focus MORE on building relationships with your team and within your team (#relationships matter) and less on technical aspects of the job (i.e. obsessing over how many dials in an hour/building another report that we could do on our own time) ALSO, please don't roll out new initiatives without thinking... through solutions to foreseen problems

2U2019-10-08

October 9, 20192U Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your insights into some of our growing pains, revealing areas we need to continue to focus on, and we are continually making improvements for our employees, our university partners, and their students. One example is a required training curriculum for all people managers at every level, covering comprehensive leadership skills. As we grow and evolve, developing managers will continue to be a top priority for our leadership. Employee feedback is critical to hear and we welcome the chance to learn more about your experience. If you are willing to chat, please contact us at feedback@2u.com and reference “my Glassdoor response.”

Found 503 reviews