2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great work life balance, large company but makes you feel important as an employee (in 19 reviews)

• Truly work hard play hard which I'm sure most people can appreciate (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is dependent on who your boss is (in 24 reviews)

• There are some growing pains as we are going to be growing rapidly (in 11 reviews)

1. "Student Support Advisor"

Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Student Support Advisor in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. I'm confident in the future of the company and I know that if I strive for excellence, I too will share the rewards of the opportunities. Also company meetings are awesome!!!

Cons

There are some growing pains as we are going to be growing rapidly. Everything won't be perfect all the time, but there are opportunities to make my workplace better!

Advice to Management

Keep developing your leadership skills and providing opportunities to your SSAs.

2. "Placement Specialist"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

Cons

very young staff, some with limited experience

"Continuous decline"

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks
    On-site lunch
    Free parking
    Walk to metro

Cons

Management is double handed, I've seen people fired for nominal things or things the entire team is doing
    Numbers driven but doesn't apply to entire team
    High school environment lots of incrowrds
    Managers have no experience
    Overworked underpaid
    No job security I witnessed one employee who made employee of the month in one or both categories every month for over a year fired.
    High turnover I'm looking for a career within another organization. You'll continue to lose quality people that way.

Advice to Management

Be firm but FAIR lots of times standards or set or changed just to fire one person on a team and it's obvious.

"Fun place to work"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

Great company culture. Upward movement if can stand out. Growing fast.

Cons

Lots of turnover in my department. Burnout.

"Do not work here"

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

They gave some good benifits

Cons

Those benefits come at a very high cost- mainly expect to be owned and work over 40 every week and have impossible demands set upon you

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of your employees. Just because you purposefully hire only young people does not mean they all dont know what you are doing.

6. "Brand Marketing Intern"

I worked at 2U part-time

Pros

-Knowledgeable managers who look forward to moulding you as a student and future professional
    -Great atmosphere for a large company
    -Fantastic work/life balance

Cons

-Large company, not many personal relationships

7. "best work place"

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

snacks, good management , great team members

Cons

in the middle of nowhere

Advice to Management

keep it up

"Proceed with caution"

Former Employee - Video Producer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Video Producer in Arlington, VA

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work with some genuinely wonderful professors; you can learn a lot from them in the course of your work
    - The company has a good concept and makes a good product
    - A few great coworkers
    - Nice office environment, great location, reasonable pay
    - Company events and pep rallies, if you’re in to that sort of thing

Cons

- Inexperienced, ineffective managers. The primary method of management is through gathering feedback from your peers; there is almost no direct observation. They draw extremely negative conclusions from minimal evidence, listening to a handful of subservient teachers’ pets, and acting summarily. It’s deeply unprofessional and the results are apparent.
    - Comprehensive training that seems like a good thing, but in reality is far too rigid and attempts to use a one-size-fits-all approach to what should be a nuanced process tailored for each person.
    - Previous experience is not valued at all. When you are hired, it’s as if you have no work experience before 2U. If you question anything, they immediately raise questions about your “fit” and “soft skills” and start to solicit negative feedback about your from your peers. They value “fit” above all, but really just want subservience and loyalty. Expect frequent criticism over menial issues.
    - Extreme micromanagement. Every step you take is scrutinized and given zero benefit of the doubt. Worst of all, video production management’s approach to client management lacks common sense and is not always effective; the clients are too diverse for a single approach. Another case of one size not fitting all.
    - Weird cultish culture. Very self-impressed without much cause. The company meeting/conference has some fun elements, but it’s basically a creepy pep rally containing everything you’ve seen lampooned in Silicon Valley. Watching people play along is painful.
    - Haphazard future planning during rapid expansion. It’s clear that those in charge are used to small company culture, despite the aggressive expansion. Unclear how sustainable the growth will be.

Some people genuinely like working at 2U. If you “fit” with their culture, once you’re through training, you can keep your head down and focus on the good parts of the job, working with professors from all over. That part really can be rewarding. But this place has worrisome professionalism problems, and they’re so self-impressed that they’ll never confront them. This problem is likely to grow.

Advice to Management

Take a more honest view of yourself. You're making a cool product, but you're not rock stars. Try to value outside experience instead of assuming that you know everything already — you're not a small company anymore.

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at 2U part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks, friendly & hardworking individuals that genuinely love the company they work for.

Cons

Very individualized work. Office is very corporate even though no one dresses up

"Roll of the dice (Admissions)"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Admissions salary is higher than most other sales jobs. growing fast, so there are opportunities for promotion if you're in the right place at the right time. Company meeting is fun if you like getting wasted and watching your coworkers/managers cheat on their SO's.

Cons

Promotional opportunities/ happiness is 100% dependent on which team you are put on. Middle management is horrible on some teams. Expect to be micromanaged (sometimes remotely), and talked down to. Expect never-ending meetings while also trying to meet daily TT/dial metrics. Expect this to be a sales job, despite federal regulations, and to have to shimmy right up to the line of what is appropriate to get more students to pay $80k+ for a master's degree. Expect to have constructive feedback and concerns used against you, and expect work to be just like high school.

Advice to Management

Don't motivate your team with fear, it is not inspirational and does not promote success. If morale is down on the whole team, maybe look in the mirror instead of placing blame on everyone else. Consistency is appreciated. Employees fearing they will be fired while other lower-performing employees avoid repercussions altogether is bad management. Department-wide perks should not be an option, they should be extended to all teams regardless. If every team but one lets their employees work from home once per week, it hurts motivation and morale. Listen to feedback, implement feedback. Be decent human beings.