2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great work life balance, large company but makes you feel important as an employee" (in 21 reviews)

• "Halloween/Company Meeting are incredibly fun and boost the culture immensely" (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is difficult to maintain" (in 27 reviews)

• "Because the company is growing so fast, sometimes changes in your day-to-day tasks can happen just as fast" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company! Lucky to be a part of it!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The list is too long of the many reasons why 2U is a solid company. I think everyone can agree the number one reason is the people! Everyone is beyond friendly and nice no matter what department you are in. Growth potential is amazing whether it’s within your department or to another. The benefits are outstanding and that includes PTO and all of the holidays including a week off during winter holiday! They make it their mission to make it a positive fun happy place to be and I can honestly say I love going to work everyday!

Cons

None at all. I feel fortunate to be a part of the rocket ship.

2. "Once in a lifetime opportunity"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been at 2U five years and joined prior to it going public. We've experienced tremendous growth all with incredible care for our people, culture and the universities and students we serve. There are so many opportunities for both personal and professional growth and it is so rare to be able to have that and also positively impact people's lives through the work we do.

Cons

The high growth environment is not for everyone, but I would caution anyone to read reviews about that or any of the other negative reviews and let that scare you away without first learning more. The energy is fantastic and the people at 2U are incredible. The opportunity is truly once in a lifetime both in terms of everything you can learn, professional growth and the impact you can have on student's lives.

"Love it here."

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I think about what's great about this company, it's obvious: the people. They're incredibly smart, driven, personable and fun. They're problem-solvers. They don't miss an opportunity to laugh in a meeting or ask you about your family in the hallway. We pride ourselves in the culture - which is the best I've ever seen in my 15 years of being a professional. It's also a fast-growing company so there's a lot of room to spread your wings, try new things and learn from new people. The mission is an easy one to get behind and people truly do. And finally, the CEO, Chip, is really a gem. He is incredibly sincere and personable. He knows the names of hundreds of employees and he truly cares about making this a great company and a great place to work.

Cons

One of the pros can also be a bit of a con: It's a fast-growing company so you have to be nimble and a ready for action. Because we're scaling so fast, things can change quickly, the pace can pick up unexpectedly, and so can requirements. But, if you're driven and flexible, this won't be a problem for you - it will be a plus.
    2U could be more generous with sick leave/vacation/flextime but it is generally competitive and there's generous paternity leave.

Advice to Management

Please continue to focus on the great culture at 2U so that as we grow we can not only maintain it but make it even better.

"Great place to work and have a career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You feel like you are making a difference in what you do. People care a lot about the students we serve
    Teammates and management really care about you - as a person and where you want to go in your career. Lots of opportunities to grow if you work hard. Co-workers really want each other to success. Management is willing to answer your questions.

Cons

You have to be clear about setting your boundaries around working outside working hours for yourself. They will be honored by your manager and others but it is easy to keep working.

Advice to Management

Keep the information coming - it means a lot to us how often you share updates.
    Don't forget the introverts.

"Admissions Counselor Review"

Pros

Overall, 2u is a great company to work for. The culture is great and there is a lot of room for development. I'm lucky to be on a great team!

Cons

The hours can feel long but if you are working hard and on a good team, time will go by fast. The work can be stressful so its important to take mental breaks during the day.

Advice to Management

A well trained and understanding manager makes a motivated and well functioning team!

Aug 10, 2018 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback and are glad you're enjoying your experience at 2U!

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at 2U is the wonderful culture. There's a great balance between hard work and fun. I've never worked at a place where there has been such an effort to create such a great employee experience. In addition to the culture, one of the biggest pros is the amazing people I've met since I've started working here. I also feel very lucky to work for a company where my work is appreciated and my input is welcomed and respected.

Cons

I have no cons to list.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

Talented people, thought leaders, supportive teams.

Cons

Young company, young and sometimes caddy employees.

Aug 10, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're glad to hear you are enjoying your time as a 2Ute!

8. "We've been ranked a great place to work for 4 years in a row for a reason!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2U cares. It wants its employees to be happy and takes all feedback into consideration. It welcomes and encourages diversity and diversity of thought. We have gender neutral bathrooms, business resource groups are being formed to formalize our LGBTQ+, minority, and other diverse groups. Good pay. Good benefits including a very generous tuition reimbursement benefit. Great leadership who really care. For example, at our most recent company meeting, an employee admitted to struggling with anxiety issues and asked that we be more transparent about our large team events (which we usually keep as a surprise) so she could better prepare. Our CEO took it to heart and is working on options to create a more transparent and caring environment for people with anxiety and similar issues. I also think it's pretty telling that folks felt like they could stand up in front of the entire company and talk about mental health as well as substance abuse. It manifests how one of our guiding principals "be candid, open, and honest" is really lived out. We have a very diverse board and are starting to have greater diversity in our senior leadership too. Teammates are great.

Cons

Need faster, more efficient recruiting/hiring in admissions because company growth is explosive and we need to keep up! Also we need better handling of employment referrals many of mine haven't received any sort of communication from 2U.

Advice to Management

It would be great to help people taking advantage of 2U's tuition benefit career plan for after they've received their degree. Right now, we have a lot of talented, learned people who are not putting their degrees to use. Also, better mid-level manager training. Otherwise, 2U is fabulous and so are all of you.

Aug 10, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for being 'candid, honest and open'! We are pleased to hear that you are enjoying your time at 2U. We also appreciate your feedback regarding some of our growing pains. It is valuable to... More

9. "Incredibly Place to Work"

Current Employee - Admissions Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Transparent, Energized, Good Benefits, Team Environment

Cons

There are very few complaints I have about 2U. They are thoughtful about anything that comes up and strives to make it the best place to be!

Aug 10, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your time at 2U!

"Snacks are nice"

Current Employee - Admissions in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snacks
    Annual Company Meetings
    Young atmosphere is cool

Cons

6 months in, training wasn't really ready until week 3, expected otherwise

Advice to Management

Fine tune a few things, keep the snacks coming!

Aug 10, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for offering your perspective. The feedback you provided is disconcerting and, if you are up to it, we would like to speak to you about your experience. Please reach out to feedback@2U.com... More