2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company values diversity and cares about work/life balance" (in 26 reviews)

• "The annual company meeting is really fun" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "When things get particularly busy, you will need to pay closer attention to your work-life balance" (in 31 reviews)

• "Because the company is growing so fast, sometimes changes in your day-to-day tasks can happen just as fast" (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company! Lucky to be a part of it!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The list is too long of the many reasons why 2U is a solid company. I think everyone can agree the number one reason is the people! Everyone is beyond friendly and nice no matter what department you are in. Growth potential is amazing whether it’s within your department or to another. The benefits are outstanding and that includes PTO and all of the holidays including a week off during winter holiday! They make it their mission to make it a positive fun happy place to be and I can honestly say I love going to work everyday!

Cons

None at all. I feel fortunate to be a part of the rocket ship.

Oct 4, 2018 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We're happy to know that you feel supported by your fellow 2Utes, though, we're not surprised!

2. "Fast paced, high energy company"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, incredible CEO, generous pay and benefits

Cons

lack of management, no room for growth

Feb 14, 2019 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 2Ute. While you are now a 2U alumnus, you will always be a part of the 2U story and we are grateful for the contributions you made while you were here... More

3. "Great place to intern"

Former Employee - Operations Intern in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Operations Intern in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- plenty of mentorship
    - everyone is willing to talk to you about what they do and it's very easy to find and talk to someone in another department you may have interest in, even if it's unrelated to your own
    - good snacks
    - the people are really nice and easy to talk to
    - pretty cool CEO

Cons

- may sometimes be hard to see the impacts of your work since you tend to do smaller tasks for teams (but they still really help the team)

4. "Love it!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely employee-friendly and diverse work environment

Cons

None that I can think of.

Feb 14, 2019 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you're enjoying your time at 2U!

5. "I love it here!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I have only been working at 2U for a short time, I have been so happy with this company! The people make the company truly amazing. Everyone around you is nice and welcoming and always looks like they're truly happy here. I love my team and feel that I am supported and can ask any questions I need and that they are truly there to help me. There are so many things that make this company great- unlimited PTO, a yearly company meeting, free snacks and seltzers in the kitchen, Christmas break, spontaneous dance parties, a gym and cafe in the building, etc. As far as the admissions counselor role, I love it. I enjoying working with prospective students by helping them further their career goals. I come from an education background, so this has been very exciting for me and I've been having fun with it. The company is only going to keep growing, and it's really cool to be apart of this nonstop growing business. As long as you keep up with your matrix, you can take music breaks and walk around for a walk pretty much whenever throughout the day, as long as you stay on top of your appointments. Staying organized is crucial for this role because you need to have good time management skills and be able to plan effectively.

Cons

You are expected to meet a weekly matrix of numbers, including dials, meaningful conversations, and hours of talk time, but I don't see this is a con, but it may be for some. This role definitely has some sales expectations to it, so that's one thing that might push people away. As long as you're organized, the success will come. I enjoy my days being busy and don't mind being on the phones all day, yet some people might get burnt out due to the repetition of the role. Having one late day a week working 9-7 isn't exactly fun, but those very per team. Some teams may even have another late day, but it is so AC's can discuss the program information with students after normal business hours, so I understand why it is important. Sometimes you may call students all day and never actually talk to someone, causing some people in this role to get very burnt out. As long as you remain positive and understand that this is part of the role, you will be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have a great company that is not going to stop anytime soon. Keep listening to your employees and keeping them happy!

"People want to stay but there are limited opportunities"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

2U is the best place to work, hands down. The people at 2U are not only coworkers but they are friends. The atmosphere is laid back yet you are expected to give your best and most people willingly do put their best foot forward. The benefits are great and always improving. The executive leadership is trustworthy and open and I feel like Chip has the best intentions for the company and the employees. The company meetings are a blast. I hope to stay at 2U for a very long time and climb the ladder to a position to be able to support and implement positive changes throughout the evolution of the company.

Cons

-There is not a company without any cons and most people write in the section with unrealistic expectations.

2U is a great company and the grass is not always greener on the other side. If I were to leave 2u, it'd be very difficult to make the decision to do so, but these would be my reasons:
    One of the great benefits offered is receiving tuition reimbursement. Yet, upon receiving a top tier education, it is extremely difficult to move into the department that coincides with your top tier education. Why pay so much money for employers to better themselves and make it nearly impossible to be considered for even an entry level position at that company. People are leaving after their commitments because 2U does not give them the opportunity to use it there. The company is scaling so fast, realize there is great talent where you least expect it!

Internal advancement across multiple departments is skewed. In my time chatting with people across the departments and within my own, I have noticed that many decisions regarding advancement is not about being a top performer, rather, who knows your name and who you are buddies with. This is not coming from people who just expect a promotion, rather people who genuinely go above and beyond. Top performers are getting frustrated and burned out from trying to put their best foot forward [in every department]. Internal employees are gold, they know 2U's students and believe in the company's cause. Why do you think so many employees are getting picked up by our competitors? Competitors are noticing 2U employees abilities and offering the advancement externally. Don't let them steal your top performers!

Advice to Management

Make more opportunities for cross departmental transitioning. See it as a compliment, people want to stay at 2U and make a bigger impact and are sometimes even willing to take a pay cut to do so! Give them that opportunity!
    Promotions are competitive for the wrong reasons. Granted, there is a lot of talent and people should not just expect a promotion... yet it is concerning when the "social butterfly" is chosen over the person with a much more impressive resume. The hiring process is so stringent to get hired into 2U, why not put the effort into making sure your management is going to drive top performance. I think everyone can agree that top performers care much more about staying at the top and leading a team to that status, whereas biased promotions are more worried about checking a box to make it to the next step. Chip- if you're listening, I can easily help implement these changes to do my part improving the company growth without expecting anything in return! Let the little guy help!

"Okay, but no need to drink the Kool Aid"

Current Employee - Workplace Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Workplace Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Currently, the best parts of 2U have been the generous time off, great office location, good health insurance, and [some] great people. Management for my team is great, very open when anyone has ideas, questions, or concerns. Additionally, they have always been willing to go to bat for any members of our team that has been treated unfairly.
    Additionally, many teams that I am not apart of welcomed me with open arms when I started and I have able to build many personal and professional bonds.

Cons

I have a number of concerns that I compiled during my time at 2U, some in regards to my role and expectations, and others in regards to overall company culture.
    First, is in regards to career opportunities and professional development. My department has little to no opportunities for growth or career advancement internally, especially if you are located outside of the HQ office in Maryland. I have been told on numerous occasions that I am outperforming my job expectations and would be well suited for other more advanced positions in the department, but there have not yet been openings or opportunities for those positions in the Denver office.
    Second, would be inequalities and unfairness in the distribution and subsequent compensation of certain tasks. Despite Denver being the second largest office, there is no presence of certain support teams, such as Events, Communications, and Benefits. Due to their absence in the office, my team has often been asked to carry out and organize many tasks, beyond general support, on their behalf. Most of these tasks are poorly communicated to my team, and we receive limited to no support from the teams we are carrying out these activities on behalf of. Additionally, my team has started to notice that much of the work we are asked to carry out on behalf of other teams would generally be the responsibility of someone of a much higher compensated role and this discrepancy has definitely led to many feelings of resentment.
    My other concerns regard the office and company culture. As many other reviews have mentioned, the culture is very bro-y, and you will feel out of place if you don't drink. Additionally, much of the senior and executive level leadership, for better or for worse, are Chip's fraternity brothers and college friends. This attitude towards hiring and rewarding friends, while not necessarily reflected in my department, is highly visible throughout many levels of management throughout the company.

I am also concerned about the culture of the company because while 2U claims to value diversity and wants to change education so that a top tier education is accessible to all, I frequently hear admissions counselors (the largest department in Denver) mocking many applicants and prospective students for their economic status, their undergrad education, country of origin, and even their accents/ perceived English speaking abilities. I find this behavior and those attitudes to be not only personally appalling but antithetical to much of what 2U claims is their mission.
    Additionally, the privileged attitudes and feelings of superiority sometimes displayed towards students by some in Admissions also extends to how some in the company treat my team and other support teams such as IT Help Desk, ranging from rude interactions, blatant disrespect of policy and protocol, to the disregard of personal work-life boundaries (No one wants to be asked pointed work questions on their day off while shopping at the grocery store or in a Lyft line on their way to a dinner). Interactions like this and the other observations about the company culture often make me feel disheartened about my place here at and do affect my morale.

Advice to Management

Listen more, be more observant. Are your employees burnt out? Are some members of your team working way more than their counterparts? Which one of them is setting standards and expectations? How are you recognizing that, how are you correcting/rewarding this?

Feb 5, 2019 – 2U Communications

The experience you shared is not what we want for any 2Ute nor is the culture that you’ve described acceptable. If you are open to it, we would appreciate an opportunity to speak with you directly to... More

8. "Best job I've ever had"

Current Employee - General Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - General Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What a place to work! The mission, the people, the culture, the benefits all add up to an amazing employment experience. Its is so great to be part of an organization that cares equally for its partners and employees. Everyone seems to be rowing in the same direction with positive energy and the common goal of extending high quality educational opportunities to every corner of the globe. I am happy to be called a 2Ute!

Cons

The only con is that there are not enough hours in the day to participate in all the great initiatives 2U offers!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Feb 14, 2019 – 2U Communications

9. "Decent place to work but pay is not the best."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perks are good and the facilities are great.

Cons

The pay is below average and the culture is cult like.

10. "Culture that can't be beat"

Former Employee - Student Support Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Student Support Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked here for 2.5 years out of college and loved my time. Company trips to Disney and South Beach, happy hours for every holiday, and amazing people to become friends with and grow professionally. The way they run as a SAAS company is lean and efficient.

Cons

Upper management was sometimes out of touch with day to day ops