Cover image for 2U

70 Comments

Tech

467.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=2U~324050
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great Benefits and the people you get to work with are wonderful!(in 113 reviews)
  • "The people you work with are great!(in 95 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and there is a lot of room for development.(in 83 reviews)
  • "Unlimited PTO; We've been working from home since the pandemic hit; they're not rushing to bring us back in the office so that's cool(in 82 reviews)
  • "being; UPTO; great CEO(in 41 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor Management they are way too young and have no clue what their doing.(in 57 reviews)
  • "Senior Leadership like Directors and VPs talk down to you like you're a child and really contribute little to the success of the business.(in 43 reviews)
  • "Low salary and no overtime.(in 37 reviews)
  • "Managers don't help you when you are struggling and create a competitive atmosphere among teams according to the registered individuals they get.(in 37 reviews)
  • "Favoritism is a critical factor in your development and opportunities.(in 20 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of 2U and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Best job of my career

Apr 22, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked for many companies and teams in the last 20 years and 2U is a special place with leaders who care. Not just in their words but in their actions. This has been a tough few years and the leaders have handled it with transparency and compassion. The mission is also so powerful and the people you work with here across the company are passionate, dedicated and caring. The benefits are also great and the culture and offices are amazing.

Cons

Every company has its challenges. Things change and the last two years were a stark reminder that the unexpected can hit any time. While balancing everything personally with work has been a challenge since COVID hit (which would've been much tougher working somewhere else) I have felt support and appreciate knowing that leadership will be honest if things change or when things get tough. I am very grateful for Chip my leaders and 2U!!!

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Culture

Nov 29, 2022 - Instructional Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Managers are dedicated, culture is good, and you are given all the resources they can.

Cons

The hardest part of this job is teaching, which is as it should be.

3. Join the 2U team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Beware! Please Read

Dec 5, 2022 - Admissions Advisor
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Base salary for entry level position; it's good pay if you are use to being paid hourly -Great benefits all around -You work with the university schedule and holidays so you get extra vacation on some days -Work from anywhere; fully remote -Weekends off

Cons

-Call center environment; 100+ dials daily plus with talk time 2+ hours -Sales job -People think they are getting information but you're calling them to sell; "cold calling" -Micromanaged and tracked KPIs from dials, talk time, interviews and assessments. They also track hourly how long you are on the phones as well -This is 100% sales job; you are expected to sell every call -UPTO only for those who hit daily and monthly goals. They try to sell it like it's not -No commission or bonuses but you get ALL the pressure from a sales job -They make it seem like it's an advisor job but really you're a sales person who sometimes advises -Most of the people that stay in this job are elderly people who stay for the benefits and steady pay -Company culture is not existent; everyone staying has the same personality just focused on sales and very blunt Everyone at the company even leadership knows it's a sales job. Only reason why it's not advertised as a sales job because when working for education it's against the law to provide any commission or bonuses to "advisors." Overall it's basically a call center where you are expected to sell on every call to people who think they are signing up to get information. This is not an admissions role but a sales one. You are pushed and pressured heavy on KPIs daily but you don't receive any commission or bonuses, at most you will get is a shoutout and that's about it. A lot of people think that the so called "advisors" are deceitful because they are so focused on meeting monthly enrollment goals that they basically allow anyone in as long as they have money. P.S if you want to experience this beforehand put your information on any university website for a boot camp (Data, Coding) like GWU, Berkeley, UMiami, or Columbia. Good luck..

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

DEI isn't important in marketing

Sep 26, 2022 - Senior Graphic Designer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility. Unlimited PTO and the ability to work remotely allowed a lot of freedom and gave me a great sense of work/balance.

Cons

After some reflection it felt like everyone there was doing just enough to maintain afloat or keep their position. The workload wasn't crazy and would be dictated depending on where we were in the school year but my biggest issue with 2U was I couldn't understand how the marketing and creative team couldn't maintain black employees. The benefits are bountiful however that clearly wasn't enough as many black/brown employees choose to leave. After George Floyd, the marketing team gathered all the black employees so we could speak freely to directors about issues that would eventually fall on deaf ears. Promises broken and after a few months DEI was forgotten about....micro aggressions continued, employees never disciplined for making black employees feel uncomfortable, hiring more of the same people making us feel even more alienated. Less and less black/brown employees being interviewed or getting jobs on marketing or creative teams leaving only a handful of us. At the end of the day, this is a company and a job. Being laid off is tough but it shows peoples true colors when you work somewhere 5+ years and your director who preaches support and loving her team doesn't even acknowledge you on your way out.

11 people found this review helpful

2U Response

2U Sr. Manager

While we are pleased to see you mention things like our unlimited PTO and flexible work environment as positives during your time with us, we are concerned to hear your feedback regarding management and DEI. We humbly recognize that our DEI journey is ongoing, and we are committed to continuing to improve our efforts. We strive to be a truly inclusive workplace. We are working with our leadership, managers, and recruiters to ensure our vision for a dedicated and diverse community of employees is realized. We continue to hold important listening sessions with employees across our business resource networks to better understand the global employee experience and identify ways to improve. While we understand you are no longer with 2U, if there is any additional information you’d be willing to share with us, please reach out to feedback@2U.com and reference "my Glassdoor review".

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Growing pains

Dec 2, 2022 - Program Director in Lanham, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Dominating OPM industry Lots of talented people Benefits are good

Cons

Hard to balance work and life Hustle culture Management style is very hands off in development training

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

This place is looney and everybody knows it

Nov 9, 2022 - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Can play tetris and solitaire every day and pretend like you're working - Upper management in the B2B Enterprise Sales org is oblivious - didn't work at all and still got paid monthly commission - If you want to waste your time, stay idle and not work then this is the place for you!

Cons

The Pros are also the Cons - If you're hungry, motivated and eager to advance then no need to pursue 2U any further. Their tedious, mundane sales process for any new sale is by far the silliest process I've ever encountered with a sales job so far. The edTech industry at large isn't what it seems either. Best of luck to those who don't listen to this post because you will need it.

4 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0

Big Promises, Under Delivery

Aug 30, 2022 - Senior Admissions Counselor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Remote work, Most of the people below management level are great.

Cons

Middle management (Managers, Directors, VP, and SVPs) have no idea what they are doing. This organization takes people with no management skills and puts them in management roles so that they can mold them in their vision, but have the sculpting prowess of a turtle. When you interview for the admissions department, they will attempt to avoid saying the word "sales" at all costs, but make no mistake, it is a sales role with little transferable skills afterwards. You will be promised upward mobility and you will apply to the few manager positions that open (usually 2 per quarter) only to find out they decided not to fill the role or required another manager to take double duty. You will be told one thing by direct management but something completely different by upper management and you will never get a clear answer either way. And be careful as you start to hit the 4ish year mark at the company, all of a sudden your metrics start to "look off" and you will be accused of "metric manipulation". You won't receive any warnings for this, no matter the circumstances and will be called into a meeting with HR where they won't even allow you to speak. This company comes off with great promise, a great mission that I still agree with, but it will quickly turn sour.

9 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great benefits and work/life balance but frequent chaos and turnover

Oct 27, 2022 - Senior Course Developer in Lanham, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are great and managers are generally supportive of work/life balance; positive environment to work in; a good deal of attention given to DEI initiatives; can be fun

Cons

frequent pivots from upper management leads to a lot of sunk costs and useless labor and layoffs; relationships with partners are sometimes strained; negative press can affect morale; positions are highly specialized and don't easily translate outside of industry

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Employee

Fair

Nov 24, 2022 - Instructor in Richmond, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It’s a lot of work for a little pay but dramatically helps your resume. Plus it’s good going over basics constantly.

Cons

Lot of work for low pay

11. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

The best part of this company is the culture fostered by employees

Oct 3, 2022 - Senior Student Success Advisor in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Business Resource Networks (BRNs) The BRNs are the best part about 2U! The different groups such as Black Engagement Network, Women's Alliance Network, Ability Resource Network, etc. offer educational and fun events throughout the year. This is employee (volunteer) led but in my opinion is the best part of the culture at 2U. Generally speaking, people are very supportive and kind in this company.

Cons

Benefits - The healthcare costs are expensive. - They recently changed the Unlimited PTO policy so now you have to send an email to a VP with a written reason for your request to approve your time off after you've taken 20 days. This is against the DEI they preach as a company. - They used to have an all company meeting, employee appreciation day, and send us swag. Now there isn't any of that.

7 people found this review helpful

2U Response

2U Sr. Manager

Thank you for sharing your experience at 2U. Feedback like yours is critical to us accomplishing our mission, and we are happy to hear you’re enjoying the culture, including the great people who work at 2U. We are also proud to hear about your affinity for our Business Resource Networks (BRNs) as a place of learning through events and are happy to know that you feel supported. We believe that the UPTO benefit is a powerful tool in our ability to attract and retain talent at 2U, and it empowers employees to take the time they need when they need it. We recently implemented training to help managers evaluate requests for time off and equitably make decisions that balance employee needs with business needs. The skip-level reviews of requests in excess of 20 days were implemented to ensure teams have the necessary coverage to adequately support students and partners without putting an unrealistic burden on other team members. To be clear, there is no limit to our UPTO benefit, just extra layers of approval needed after more than 20 days have been taken in a calendar year. If you would like to share more to help us to understand your experience better, please email us at feedback@2U.com and reference “my Glassdoor review.”

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,169 Reviews
</>Embed

2U Reviews FAQs

2U has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 1,266 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at 2U to a friend and 54% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, 2U employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.5 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at 2U. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

69% of 2U employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated 2U 3.9 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at 2U to be culture, coworkers, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with 2U Job Seekers