2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great work life balance, large company but makes you feel important as an employee (in 21 reviews)

• Truly work hard play hard which I'm sure most people can appreciate (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is difficult to maintain (in 26 reviews)

• You have an opportunity to grow pretty quickly because the company is growing so quickly but also if you (in 8 reviews)

"Extremely pleased with my decision to join!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

- wonderful colleagues
    - strong leadership
    - incredible benefits (annual company meetings, work from home, beautiful offices, tuition reimbursement, nice PTO package, fantastic snacks selection)
    - amazing product and mission; we're literally changing peoples' lives through education and making it far more accessible

Cons

- constant structural changes could be frustrating to people who aren't comfortable with change

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing! and pay more attention to the talented women who work at 2U -- they should also be always considered for more senior positions (seems like it's primarily white men in charge)

2. "AWESOME COMPANY"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people! Amazing atmosphere! THEY CARE! Starting salary is great as well

Cons

Nothing for me at least

Advice to Management

N.A

3. "Amazing work environment!"

I worked at 2U part-time

Pros

great environment
    fast paced work
    respectful employees
    efficient training

Cons

None that come to mind!

"Beware"

Current Employee - Placement Specialist in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Placement Specialist in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun team building structure
    Wonderful office space
    Company trips

Cons

Favoritism
    Off the books office rules

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equal across the board although many see favoritism people are scared to speak out and whisper among themselves.

"Honestly, this is the best company I’ve ever worked for."

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, if you’re not a hard worker, then 2U is probably not for you. If you’re seeing negative reviews and it seems like the person was just complaining, it is likely they didn’t have great work ethic resulting in a miserable time at 2U.

With that said, one of the greatest things about working for this company is that you’ll always be challenged. And, as I said, if you’re a hard worker, those challenges will come with professional growth. You will always be recognized for the great work that you do and the leadership is great. They make you want to work hard.

Cons

I would say that the only area of improvement, is that this company is still very young and still going through growing pains. But that is actually a good thing to me. You have an opportunity to grow pretty quickly because the company is growing so quickly but also if you’re an out of the box thinker, your big ideas may be incredibly impactful on the organization as a whole.

Advice to Management

Our leadership is great as a whole. I’m happy to see that the focus is on the individual contributors right now. Keep doing that. The retention risks start there.

"Development a problem"

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

Cool dance parties, snacks, annual company meetings

Cons

Been here for 6 months and my onboarding was rough. No training materials and sometimes I feel pretty bad because the training has a negative effect on our phone conversations. The company is fun but needs to really take a look at their training. Sometimes we get discouraged because not all managers develop their team or even knows how. The company is growing really fast so sometimes managers just dont have time and it can negatively affect how we sell our programs. Not fair to the universities.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be more than online cookie cutter trainings. 2U has potential but middle management is questionable. Focus on more development (no clear path for my career). Also, more diversity in leadership.

7. "Admissions Counselor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy 2U because of the general company culture, but more specifically I have a fantastic team with especially great leaders, so the team you work with really does shape your experience. Also here are some positives:
    Supportive people, Encourage a Work-Life Balance, Learning Community, Healthy Competition, Great Company Culture, Strong Leaders, Free Snacks, Complimentary Coffee, Free Gym, Great Cafeteria, Friendly employees

Cons

This job is like a rollercoaster. Some seasons are overwhelming and stressful; others are boring. But, if you do your job well, you will see rewards. At times it can feel clicky, but people develop deep relationships with their co-workers so if you are open you will meet friends inside and outside of your team and department that you can grow close with.

Advice to Management

More Dance Parties :p

"Development is a huge issue for this company"

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

Snacks, annual company meetings, high caliber connections results in great PR for the company. 2U is a stepping stone and pays the bills but if you’re interested in growing your career, look elsewhere.

Cons

You need to have the “right look” to grow here, Coterie culture indeed. For those who lack the “right look”, expect to either not get promoted and/or be stuck in support positions/departments within the company. Ask for a tour if you interview and you’ll notice the divide by each floor. It’s very, very calculated and intentional. Read the reviews carefully, most are spot on. The perks aren’t worth it if you care about career development.

Advice to Management

Please develop your managers and hold them accountable. Development is so much more than sales/metrics. (Or maybe it’s not if that’s your sole focus...)

"Admission Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, fun, free food and company meetings

Cons

Backstabbing and high executive staff turnover. Also, they have issues with placing anybody who is not white into leadership roles. Women are glorified as well and because of the recent lawsuits against women discrimination they went crazy with promoting women to manager or director roles.

10. "Admissions"

I worked at 2U full-time

Pros

Great culture, people, hard to not get sucked into drinking the kool-aid

Cons

This is a sales job, admissions is sales, if you are not ready for a fast paced work environment where everything is constantly changing this will not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Develop your people.