2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
2U Co-Founder and CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Secondly, the work-life balance for me has been great" (in 23 reviews)

• "Halloween/Company Meeting are incredibly fun and boost the culture immensely" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "When things get particularly busy, you will need to pay closer attention to your work-life balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "Because the company is growing so fast, sometimes changes in your day-to-day tasks can happen just as fast" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company! Lucky to be a part of it!"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The list is too long of the many reasons why 2U is a solid company. I think everyone can agree the number one reason is the people! Everyone is beyond friendly and nice no matter what department you are in. Growth potential is amazing whether it’s within your department or to another. The benefits are outstanding and that includes PTO and all of the holidays including a week off during winter holiday! They make it their mission to make it a positive fun happy place to be and I can honestly say I love going to work everyday!

Cons

None at all. I feel fortunate to be a part of the rocket ship.

Oct 4, 2018 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We're happy to know that you feel supported by your fellow 2Utes, though, we're not surprised!

2. "Have loved the experience so far"

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great camaraderie, good training process, young culture

Cons

hard to learn all the ins and outs of the program you're working for, if you're in admissions

Oct 11, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to know that you feel a positive camaraderie with your fellow 2Utes, though, we're not surprised!

3. "Recommended"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

I enjoy my job, the culture, and the tuition benefit. It's a fun company.

Cons

Not the strongest salaries in the market.

Oct 18, 2018 – 2U Communications

We appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you're enjoying your time at 2U!

"Believe the Hype: 2U is an Amazing and Progressive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Student Success Advisor
    Current Employee - Student Success Advisor

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

1) The people. You will be surrounded by folks who are driven and committed to self-improvement and the development of the company.
    2) The innovation. There is always something new to learn. You will be a part of something big and exciting. Your role will afford you the opportunity to continuously build upon your skill-sets.
    3) The appreciation. You will be welcomed as you are and appreciated for the unique qualities you bring to the table.

Cons

1) It's important to welcome change with open arms. 2U is always looking for the best tools for the company to utilize, so you may have the chance to get adjusted to implementing several approaches to your daily tasks.
    2) When things get particularly busy, you will need to pay closer attention to your work-life balance. It's manageable, however, it requires intention and mindfulness.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, authenticity and warmth. We're lucky to have human beings who embody the company mantra of being bold and fearless.

Oct 4, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thanks for sharing your experience. We're glad to hear you're enjoying your time as a 2Ute and feel appreciated!

"Honest Review: Admissions Counselor"

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These remarks reflect solely on my experiences and perspectives with working at 2U, and although my time here has been mostly positive, I am aware certain departments and programs operate under different levels of expectations, which will significantly impact an individual's overall experience working here.

First off, this is a very young and progressive company with a very youthful culture. If you are looking for your first real-world job experience out of college, this could be the best position to set yourself up with. There is plenty of opportunities for internal growth within admissions and in other departments across the organization. I have witnessed countless people move up the ranks in this department, or transition into a new department or role altogether for a different opportunity.

Secondly, the work-life balance for me has been great. I never take work home with me, I have a lot of opportunities to myself outside of the office, and there are a ton of perks when it comes to time-off (week-long Christmas breaks, tons of acknowledged holidays, flexible PTO, and even company events and trips). There are some remote work chances for high performing members within the admissions department, however, there are limitations to the frequency you can utilize your time to work from home - once a week if you hit your previous cohorts goals.

Finally, I have been blessed to be surrounded by a very positive and supportive group of individuals within my team. My manager has become my mentor, not only for my role within the company but also when seeking life advice and direction on my development inside or outside of 2U. It is pretty cool to candidly chat with your direct supervisor about where you see yourself going in the next year, even if that is not necessarily with the company. It makes you want to work even harder for these people when you know that they actually care about you as an individual.

Cons

I am a true believer that you make the most of your opportunities in life and your happiness is derived directly from how you perceive your environment. With that being said, there are ups and downs in this role and in life, and it is up to you to dictate how you are going to allow these challenges affect you while you are here.

Being as though this is a metrics driven sales role, there are expectations for you to hit your numbers, with multiple enrollment periods throughout the year (3-5 recruitment cycles depending on the program you are on). At times, this can be very overwhelming, if you allow it to be. There have been moments that I allowed things outside of my control stress me out, which made this job a living hell. However, if you are self-aware, and realize that you can directly dictate what you allow to bother you, these experiences can be seen as learning opportunities. I think this can be said for any position though.

This is a fast-growing company, and a lot of departments collaborate and work together in order to achieve joint goals, however, some areas have limited bandwidth because of this rapid growth, which can sometimes slow down processes or cause a delay in tasks getting done efficiently in a timely manner. This can cause some headaches on the front end, but again, you can only control what you can control.

The last point would be the inevitable burn out from redundancies and the eventual monotony in the work we do in Admissions. This is certainly a call center/sales type of role, which involves calling hundreds of prospects a day and carrying a pretty similar conversation consistently over a long period of time in order for them to convert into an eventual student. In all honesty, this can be the toughest part to deal with because it involves so much self-motivation and dedication to mix up your conversations on a daily basis. Some people are unable to handle this sort of role because it does require a lot of creativity to make conversations fresh and new, even though the content can be very similar on a daily basis. The individuals who typically burn out here are the ones who get too caught up in a routine of the role and are unwilling to change things up to make it fresh again. Trust me though, I have been in this position a few times and have seriously questioned my ability to continue on.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain a high level of transparency with your employees. Although I have not directly felt as though I have been micromanaged within my role, I have heard from other employees this sentiment. Have faith and trust in us to do our role to the best of our abilities, and try to be selfless while you let loose of the reins a bit. The teams that seem to have the highest turnover or that are not doing too well, typically are being managed by those who are too self-involved and more worried about the bottom line, rather than the people they actually manage. Try to support, trust, and allow your employees to be creative with their work while also promoting an open and candid environment.

Oct 11, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your experience, as we truly strive to provide an excellent work/life balance and a supportive work environment for all 2Utes. Your insights into some of our growing pains... More

"High Growth Company"

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, activities, growth, management that listens, no one is left behind

Cons

Can be tedious at times, some of the metrics are somewhat unrealistic (I can help individuals get in school, but ultimately it's their decision)

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees! Our team has a check in every couple months that managers are not allowed in and we are able to talk about the strengths and weaknesses of management, then a senior AC reports to the manager. Our manager takes these meeting extremely seriously. Really love that this company appreciates their employees!

Sep 13, 2018 – 2U Communications

7. "Actual processes, team comradery, job autonomy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Plenty of autonomy
    • Work-life balance
    • Encouragement to bring ideas to the table
    • Positive team support
    • Minimal meetings
    • Real departmental collaboration
    • Genuine management support
    • Actual processes and file management in place
    • Remote opportunities
    • Tuition and 401k match benefits
    • They support company values with actionable employee offerings (volunteer days, mental/physical health benefits, employee events)
    • Paths for growth

Cons

• Pay is on the lower end of market scale
    • Family healthcare package is so-so

Advice to Management

I cannot speak for the entire organization, but the creative/marketing department is organized, collaborative and sets up its employees for success. I hope management continues to keep up with cross-communication between departments as it scales, as that can often get lost in growth. Keep up the great work!

Oct 4, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and perspective of a day in the life at 2U. We are happy to hear you are enjoying our collaborative team environment and we will continue to... More

"Best workplace of my career"

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven, smart and collaborative coworkers, challenging work, lovely work environment.

Cons

Pains inherent to most companies with rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Keep transparent communication and be realistic when it comes to YoY program growth.

Sep 27, 2018 – 2U Communications

"Overall great company!"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

The work is challenging and you feel like you are really helping students.

Cons

Growth can happen fast making the work load feel overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the support for your teams and be realistic about metrics given the growth teams are experiencing.

Sep 6, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for offering your perspective. As we continue to grow our global business, we'll keep supporting and investing in our people.

10. "AC"

Pros

Good environment, fun. Very diverse company!

Cons

Upper Management has a disconnect with the front lines

Sep 27, 2018 – 2U Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback. While you are now a 2U alumnus, you will always be a part of the 2U story and we are grateful for the contributions you made while you were here. Wishing you well!