2U Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
2U Co-Founder & CEO Chip Paucek
Chip Paucek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you have the right manager/director who respect work & life balance this is a great place to work (in 16 reviews)

• Truly work hard play hard which I'm sure most people can appreciate (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Creating a proper work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Because the company is growing so fast, sometimes changes in your day-to-day tasks can happen just as fast (in 11 reviews)

"Admissions Counselor"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

Company culture is very high energy. Lots of laughs. CEO Chip is awesome.

Cons

Gets repetitive. Work-life balance is dependent on who your boss is.

Advice to Management

Many promotions are done from within. Can be a positive, but HR overlooks valuable experience outside the company. Often overlooking employees with advanced degrees and promoting employees who have been at 2U longer, with no advanced degree. Ironically, it is as if the Masters degree you gained beforehand wasn't factored into the decision at all.

"Great company!"

I have been working at 2U part-time

Pros

It's a great company culture, with a fun office environment and great people.

Cons

Salary isn't the most competitive, but I honestly think the culture makes up for a large part of it.

Advice to Management

More companies are starting to adapt similar, fun cultures. I think salary has to be adjusted to compete.

3. "Amazing place to be overall, despite growing pains"

Current Employee - Student Support Manager
    Current Employee - Student Support Manager

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn, fast paced, fun, smart people, tuition reimbursement

Cons

Growing fast, need to staff up to accommodate it

4. "Great place to learn, develop and grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2U has an incredible culture where everyone can be exactly who they are at work. People are passionate, driven and care about the outcomes of their job. This is a wonderful place for young people to start their career. Get your foot in the door and make your way to your dream career by learning from some of the most world class team members. Opportunities abound and best of all, they work just as hard as they play.

Cons

With so many young people at 2U, there is limited opportunity for mentorship from experienced experts, but if you seek them out you will gain a lot.

Advice to Management

Continue to expand the gender, race and age distribution of your executive leadership.

5. "Great workplace"

Current Employee - SSA in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - SSA in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

An amazing workplace with an idea to change the world of education. Young and driven individuals aspiring to be leaders.

Cons

Individuals are young at times that are managers and higher but doesn't have enough real world corporate training in leadership skills and structure. Therefore causing a lot of poor structure and talent development.

Advice to Management

Take more training to become a more successful leaders. More snacks please :)

"Admissions"

Pros

Amazing CEO! Great new HQ, free snacks, dress code and annual meetings. Company is growing fast, opportunities for growth will come for the "right people".

Cons

Very poor leadership, bully/harassment is pervasive. Nothing in place to enforce no ahole policy. Avoid company if you want to be treated well.

Advice to Management

Train managers, hold them accountable, you will lose talent due to poor leadership, bullying, etc. Solely focusing on numbers and not ethics is detrimental in the long run.

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lanham, MD

I have been working at 2U full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the technology, the innovation

Cons

None I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Its a great place to work.

"Pretty Solid Workplace"

Pros

When I joined 2U in 2010 there were tons of perks. Free food, lavish parties, all sorts of fun activities all of the time. Over the years they decreased but 2U still made an effort to make their employees feel valued. The CEO is really great. There was always overtime to be worked.

Cons

There's a very 'young and fun' culture so if you can't stay late due to family constraints, it's your problem not theirs. HR is TERRIBLE and there is a good bit of gossip, especially among the who's who.

Advice to Management

Replace higher ups inside HR

"Admissions Counselor"

I have been working at 2U full-time

Pros

A lot of focus is put into the culture and environment

Cons

A lot of young leadership.

"PES"

Former Employee - PES in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - PES in Denver, CO

I worked at 2U full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2U seems to treat their students and somewhat faculty pretty well overall.

Cons

Lower level management can be hit or miss. My manager was a miss. Low empathy. Some managers are just not ready to lead. They can be petty, immature, and the culture can feel like a mix of Junior High and Greek Life in a Fraternity or Sorority. There was very little trust on my team. I had a first time manager who was not equipped to lead well. I am not sure if she had the resources or just does not have the strengths of a leader naturally or a combination of both.

I've never been a part of such an unhealthy culture until I got to 2U or such unhealthy team dynamics with gossip, trust issues, and self-promotion all being prized values of the team and culture. I hope it changes for the better and maturity and culture improve.

Advice to Management

Be careful who you promote, and do not simply make great individual contributors managers. Individual performance does equate to success as a manager. Managers need to have people skills, emotional intelligence, empathy, maturity, wisdom and lead by example. Also equip first time managers with more resources and allow more feedback from their first-time direct reports. Otherwise your culture will continue to deteriorate and you will continue to not be able to hang onto good people.