Choice Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Choice Hotels CEO Patrick Pacious
Patrick Pacious

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No benefits unless you are management (in 23 reviews)

• work/life balance is a little tough (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good place"

Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rockville, MD

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Choice was a good place to work. Great people and collaborative environment. You get to travel to their Phoenix office, which is nice.

Cons

Commute in that area is tough.

Aug 11, 2017 – Social Media Coordinator, Recruiting

We’re happy to hear you had an excellent experience at our Rockville office. The commute can indeed be tough in the DMV area, which is why we are located directly next to a DC metro station- and why... More

"Feel Like Part Of A Team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture and focus has improved greatly.

Cons

Have been growing so physical space is at a premium

Dec 5, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review. We are glad you are enjoying the culture at our Phoenix technology center. Space is definitely a premium and it’s something we are... More

3. "Franchised privately or Part of Chain?"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in College Park, GA
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in College Park, GA

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Choice Advantage system is very easy to learn and use. It is one of the better hotel systems. You also can receive discounts towards rooms that are decently priced anywhere in the country.

Cons

This job does not pay much so lay pay is a problem. You have to pay for quality workers. Training is not always sufficient or the workers are not dedicated at all times.

Advice to Management

Have to pay more for quality, experienced hospitality staff. It is a must.

4. "Decent company. Low pay, lack of caring for employees, horrible customer service"

Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Night Auditor/Front Desk Agent in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Choice Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount is pretty nice. It depends where you go and when to what discount you get. Sometimes, it's not worth using as some of the hotels offered are downright nasty.

Get to meet different people from all walks of life

Gain valuable experience in the hospitality industry

Cons

Low pay

Have to deal with occasional rude and unhappy customers no matter what you do

Because many if not all Choice Hotels are run independently, some areas offer better working environments than others. Unfortunately, mine isn't great.

Advice to Management

I wish that pay could be more than minimum wage, stop cutting costs everywhere that make the hotels look shabby, better communication with employees.

5. "Nice location"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

the pros are that you have the ability to travel and the company is big on team activities to help with employee engagement.

Cons

There are too many pockets of departments where everyone stays separate from each other

6. "Culture of learning!"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Excellent place to work and learn. Everyone is approachable to answer questions, including the CTO and CEO.

Cons

Some workers don't engage themselves enough.

"Not that Great place to work anymore"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

HR
    Lots of parties but that is changing
    Hotel Discounts
    Good Speakers

Cons

Not defined Goals
    Leaders are them self confused about what to do
    PBR Model(Plan Build Run) -- you will not get complete exposure if you are engineer. if you are on run than you are only on phone with issues with very less coding. if you are build engineer enjoy coding but no real world application issue exposure. Build Job risky as they keep moving you in projects.
    Very Vague requirement.
    Employee are encouraged to put more hour in timesheet. Promotion and your reputation quantified based on your TimeSheet hours. Encouraged to work on weekends.

Feb 1, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We value you your thoughts and will share your perspective with executive leadership. We’re glad to hear that you have enjoyed our popular employee hotel discount... More

"Going downhill with no brakes"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Work/Life balance, and WFH flexibility
    Nice office space (Phoenix/Mayo location)
    Free, shaded parking
    Awesome Whole Foods store within walking distance
    Makes a concerted effort to be transgender welcoming

Cons

Too many reorgs that never gel before a new one is put in place.
    Culture is way too loose - expected to take on teammate's work because teammate claims to be "too busy", yet said teammate will roll in at 10ish, then look at YouTube, while you're doing their work !!!!! Pointing out this situation to my team lead only got a shoulder shrug for a response.
    Rotating door at the CTO/CIO/middle management level creates high level of chaos.
    So many org changes, it can be very difficult to know who to go to for things - this started with the disastrous PBR reorg a few years ago, where any need for assistance would be treated like a hot potato: "Oh that's something Run is supposed to do"; "No, that's Build's responsibility".... many times, issues never get resolved because people are so focused on what is NOT their scope. So issues end up unresolved in a limbo-land.
    Many people are totally checked out.

Advice to Management

Don't be so tone deaf - laying people off without warning, then later on the same day, expecting all of us to come "celebrate" the loyalty program hitting a certain membership level is COLD.

Keep on top of team lead's performance, and remove them from team lead status if they don't perform, as that kills team morale when the team lead is checked out and doesn't care. Or, you end up with an entire team of people who are checked out. Get checked out employees out of the way of engaged employees.

Listen to employees when they raise risks and issues, instead of focussing solely on predetermined release dates. Don't let managers ram projects through simply because they want to meet a release date to get their bonus. So great, they get a bonus, while those of us "in the trenches" get to deal with the cleanup for shoddy work being released into production.

If you hire based solely on "good cultural fit" then TRAIN the new hire.

Stop having so much knowledge in a single person who guards their "area" jealously, because when they leave, we're screwed as no knowledge transfer ever happens (a wiki page is NOT knowledge transfer).

The corporate office, being on a different side of the country, doesn't have a good picture of what things are really like here in IT in Phoenix. Don't rely on your single point in the org to report on how fabulous and great everything is on the IT side. Pay attention to the employee engagement surveys we do constantly. Things are not good but the corporate office doesn't seem to know/accept this.

9. "Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are OK. Work-life balance is OK.

Cons

The IT team seemed to lose what made them special years ago. I haven’t had a meeting with my manager in months and that seems to be pretty consistent throughout IT. In my short time at Choice Hotels, I’ve had 3 different bosses and at the rate we seem to reorg, I’ll probably have another in a month. People are worried about their jobs and where the technology organization is headed. Favoritism runs rampant throughout IT and shortcuts are provided to the ones in the ‘inner circle.’ Be careful who you align yourself with and only tell the positive side of your project work.

Advice to Management

Put a solid plan together around IT strategy and start executing it. Become a leader in Phoenix IT again, not the joke of the Valley. The employees are smart and know that all of the status updates in our Town Halls are not the whole story. We lose faith when we’re told everything with EDGE or SkyTouch is great, when we can read the news or the defects that make it to production and know that it isn’t.

"Lots of change"

I have been working at Choice Hotels full-time

Pros

Fairly progressive IT group. Adopt latest technologies, sometimes without enough research.

Cons

Leadership gaps, collaboration across teams, stability of IT organization

Advice to Management

Decide on an org structure and stay with it.

Jan 26, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We value your perspective and have shared your review with executive leadership.