MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "My managers have all been good and encourage a good work-life balance" (in 82 reviews)

• "Great people, casual flexible work environment" (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper Management: This is probably the greatest challenge within MicroStrategy" (in 56 reviews)

• "When I told senior management that they have to" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Starting to hit its stride --- momentum forward"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly smart, creative and passionate workforce and true belief by many, many folks in the MicroStrategy platform strength and market potential. A focus on excellence combined with a belief in face to face interaction as much as possible. Some great hires recently across the business. Culture is very results and KPI focused - truly a data driven attitude - can cut both ways but mostly positive.

Cons

Company is still working through the right mix of field empowerment and top down direction and strategy--- both are needed and leadership sometimes can lurch a bit between them or be impatient with the time and effort required to move from idea to execution to institutionalized business practice. Also work to do on moving from a pure technology to business solution focus --- and finding the right mix of both.

Aug 9, 2018 – HR Manager

It's always great to hear from a current employee. We agree -- a lot of great recent hires have joined in all departments -- our newest addition being our Chief Marketing Officer, Marge Breya. We... More

2. "associate software engineer"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

1. Top work-life balance in China
    2. Top hourly salary

Cons

1. Annoying training for product using, even for developer!

"Business Development Representative"

Former Employee - BDR in Tysons, VA
    Former Employee - BDR in Tysons, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great foot in the door at a technology company. I spent a year as a BDR (with prior work experience), and got a job as an AE at another company. I worked for all three managers, and had a positive experience. The VP is a great guy too.

Cons

Lack of ability to work from home occasionally.

"Good for early career; otherwise lack of trust"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Good challenging environment for individual contributors
    Solid product
    Learn to run a business if you are a middle manager

Cons

Upper management -- avoid this place. Executives manage via micromanagement and pitting departments against each other purposefully, misaligning and creating competing goals for each dept. Systems and data are more important than the people doing the work. Execs micromanage and demonstrate daily lack of trust for the smart people they hire. They scrutinize data to prove you wrong or to show you don't know how to do your job.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees. Give them the tools to do their jobs. Support them and align goals to create a better atmosphere of teamwork. Don't force good people to have to fight for their lives every day. Culture is everything, and this culture is no good

Nov 21, 2018 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I appreciate your perspective on the good parts of our environment and completely agree with you about culture being everything. During the past year, we have been working to better understand our... More

"You gotta love a little chaos"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people -- inspiring and smart, good company culture, people you actually want to be friends with
    - Fast-paced -- this can be a positive or negative depending on your temperament. i LOVE it because i'm never bored and the people who stick around are like me and love a little bit of chaos :) you have to be prepared for that - if you want a place where each day is the same and you always know what to expect then maybe it's not for you
    - diverse and accepting -- as a woman who has worked at a lot of tech companies i've faced discrimination and had to deal with a lot of "coder-bros" (you know the type), but people at microstrategy are wholesome and come from all different backgrounds (one thing they are slightly lacking is more female leadership at the CXO level but they're making progress), it's just nice to be somewhere where the male software developers actually listen to women's input and consider them an equal

Cons

- lower entry level pay -- you gotta WORK for it if you want a raise/promotion so if you're a person who likes to coast this won't work for you. i knew when i accepted that it wasn't as high of a salary i wanted but it just felt like such a good fit so i stuck with it and it pays off if you work hard
    - disconnect in communication from CXO level to the rest of the company, especially from technology

Advice to Management

- increase salaries to be more competitive with the market

Nov 8, 2018 – HR Manager

Thanks for the honest post. We do pride ourselves on our talented people. We also agree that we’re fast-paced. You have to be ok with the pivots of an agile technology company. If you like getting... More

6. "There's value to be had, but you have to seek it out."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great management, which support your development as a professional.
    - Good work/life balance and casual dress code
    - Requires you to be a "go-getter", there's a lot of interesting projects going on at MicroStrategy but if your role is limited in scope or does not directly interface with them you have to seek out those opportunities with other teams/management.

Cons

- 401k vesting schedule could use an adjustment, (six years).
    - Salary growth/raises do not keep pace with employee skills/market value, leads to employee turnover.

Advice to Management

- Offer more competitive benefits.

"Business Development Rep."

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

The best part of this position is that it makes you appreciate your next job, because you realize how terrible a job and managers can really be even with thick skin.

Cons

BE CAUTIOUS about accepting a position here. I accepted the position with the hopes of becoming an account executive, as they tell you that’s the career path usually and “almost everyone gets promoted” DON’T believe that they will tell you whatever you want to hear to accept the job. Your first week they will have you do what they call “training” it’s far from it. You watch videos that can go along with any job about how to conduct yourself at the workplace and different HR videos. You keep waiting to learn more about the product but they just give you vague responses and when it comes time to learn the product they sit you down talk to you for 30 minutes explaining the platform and then send you on your way. No other training other than that and if you ask one of the three managers for help they will either give you a dirty look doll their eyes and help you reluctantly or they will push you off until later and never answer your question hoping you will forget to ask them. So you are left there to figure out pretty much the entire role by yourself with no guidance and hoping a tenured employee will help you fill in the gaps but that’s usually hard because tenure is so low there 95% of BDR’s are there under a year and for a reason. They figure out the deal there and then find a better role. The managers hide in one office smoking their vapes all day long praying you don’t ask them anything. One manager will sit there smoking his vape everywhere he goes even in interviews, the other does nothing but sit in his room staring at his screen all day long and is the most uncomfortable person to be around, hopefully you catch him on a day he has a buzz from smoking pot or else he is just grumpy. There is one manager that does everything he can, Alex I do want to say he is a great manager and really does his best and the other managers should try learning from him as he sits down for sometimes hours helping others. This is far from a business development position, you are just a telemarketer that blasts generic pre made emails and making calls until someone answers their is no strategy involved in the way they approach potential customers and why they don’t see too much success at all with this method. When it comes to paying you out your commission they will do everything they can to not pay you and countless times I saw other employees get commission taken away for no given reason, one employee lost out on almost $1,200 dollars. They get out of that debate by asking subliminally if you like your job there. When I realized the position was no longer something I was interested in my manager tells me “in order to be successful here you have to break the rules”. That was all I had to hear to know I was not in the right place for me. There is no professional development here and in my opinion is a step back no matter where you are in your career unless you are coming from a telemarketing position. I really hope upper management can figure this out and stop the scapegoating going on there.

Advice to Management

Do your job and results will follow.

Oct 31, 2018 – Chief Human Resources Officer

There is a good bit to unpack in this post. First and foremost, there are assertions made here that warrant further investigation as you point out behavior and activities that are not in accordance... More

8. "Associate Software Engineer"

Pros

Good pay out of undergrad
    interesting work
    nice gym on site

Cons

401k and health care plan not good

Advice to Management

Give better health and 401k benefits. 6 year vesting schedule for 401k is unfair.

"Hostile environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at MSTR taught me what type of environment/culture and what type of people I'd like to work (and not work) with in the future. It was a learning experience on a personal and professional level.

The gym at HQ and the wellness programs are awesome.

Cons

Employee review/evaluation system: This was the #1 absurdity. As at least one other review mentioned, employees are rated on a scale of 1 (worst) through 5 (best). My boss let me in on the fact that team leaders were limited as to how many 5s (if any) they were allowed to dole out in a given quarter. Obviously, this is designed such that no one can achieve their 100% merit bonus! As someone who is accustomed to being a rockstar at her job, I felt slighted whenever I didn't receive the shiny 5 stars. In my first review, I was demerited as a result of not being exposed to enough of my job responsibilities up to that point in time -- and this was actually acknowledged to be of no fault of mine. In later reviews, my demerits were due to comparison to the team - my peers had already been placed in charge of larger projects prior to my hiring (and were unwilling to share much of the workload), so they received singing accolades, whereas I was left in the dust. My abilities were never factored in.

Onboarding literally did not exist: As a new hire, I was given nothing to do for months. I actually decided to work as a contractor for another company in my spare time after my requisite 8 hours in the office, just so that I wouldn't feel depressed about how under-utilized I was. I would have resigned sooner (along with the other new hire in my group) if I hadn't made a promise to myself to give it a full year.

New ideas unwelcome: When I was finally given tasks, I was kept on a short leash. I tried but was usually shot down when trying to introduce efficiencies and new ideas. I was kept at a distance and often out out of the loop. Too many cooks in the kitchen that were all very set in their ways. How could I be expected to be a shiny 5-star employee with roadblocks everywhere I turned?

Management: Unapproachable. My boss never gained trust in my abilities because she simply chose not to interact with anyone besides her favorite employees (of which I was certainly not), except on a weekly or when absolutely needed basis. I have never worked for or with anyone so unapproachable.

Negative atmosphere: While the rest of the team was mostly friendly, the overall atmosphere was unpleasant and constantly stressed. Even the friendly ones were like an old club that would head out to happy hour and exclude me regularly. I like a fast-paced demanding role, but I could do without the negativity that is clearly rewarded at MSTR.

Inflexibility: While some team members were allowed to work remotely 100% of the time and others dabbled with it frequently, I was actually denied a request to work remotely for 1 day (not even PTO), which resulted in my missing an event that I'd hoped to attend. The reason given was the desire to have a minimum number of folks from the team in the office on that day - a mid-quarter Friday during which I was, as usual, underutilized. Moreover, nothing about the job responsibilities requires presence in office. As for PTO, 15 days at a manager level is pretty weak. One of my teammates was constantly being hassled for the sometimes flexible hours she chose to work (while the work was getting done, and in her role there was no logical reason that she needed to be working within a rigid window). My philosophy simply did not align; I think flexibility should be rewarded where the work is getting done and the focus should be on the work product rather than "hours clocked".

Advice to Management

If it hasn't already been changed, take another look at the employee review system.
    Encourage team leaders to try and curb the hostile work environment.
    A focus on work product rather than stinginess as it relates to PTO and working remotely would likely be appreciated by most.

Nov 21, 2018 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I would agree that a focus on work quality and product should be at the center of how we manage our people. Our performance management system reflects our emphasis on this. We do have reviews... More

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people
    Employee wellness is a big focus and the gym at HQ is great

Cons

Leadership MUST engage more with their teams and actively listen to employees; they do great at managing up to CEO, but not down.
    Decisions are made in a vacuum with no input from broader employee base; this has created discontent and lack of trust at all levels below executive leadership.
    Executive leadership is too focused on competing with one another and being "yes" men to CEO - too much ego at the top
    Salary is not competitive
    401K vesting schedule should be revisited
    Too many meetings that add little to no value