MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 77 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year (in 53 reviews)

• When I told senior management that they have to (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Good Salary
    People seem easy to work with
    Seems like they're making an effort to constantly improve

Cons

The onboarding process had a good start, but fell off once it got into specifics
    Facilities can be annoying to deal with when it comes to things like shuffle board, pool, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Great Company!"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great place to work. Plenty of variety of project work. Work with and learn from some of the best people in IT. Management does a good job of matching consultants with assignments that make best use of their talents while challenging you to expand your skill set. If you have a chance to work for this company, take it!

Cons

Lots of travel (50-75%) if your in the Professional Services organization. That can be a problem for some people but it suited me just fine.

In my case work location was split about 50/50 between working from my home office and traveling to customer sites throiughout the US & Canada.

3. "QE"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

a lot of things to learn

Cons

somtimes it is very stressful

4. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-awesome training, 6 week intensive bootcamp, with the opportunity to master the product; plenty of training opportunities- both technical and non-technical
    -opportunities to advance, and work on meaningful projects
    -put into roles where you are expected to be trusted advisor

Cons

-consultant lifestyle.. depends on engagement, but generally projects are planned well and quality of life is respected

Advice to Management

Thank you for investing in your employees, please keep that up

Apr 13, 2018 – HR Manager

It's always great to hear from former employees who experienced effective trainings and found opportunities to advance during their time at MicroStrategy. We also appreciate to hear that you felt our... More

5. "The People You Work With Are EVERYTHING"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team members that make going to work everyday fun and incredibly smart people to learn from. Managers that are willing to help you succeed.

Cons

No proper onboarding process; fell off once it got into specifics.

Advice to Management

Bootcamp is not onboarding

6. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Partner Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, and room for growth. Managers are very much willing to help you and not micromanage you. Has gotten to be a more structured company.

Cons

Really can't think of any

"Not the place for creative minds"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company perks and great benefits

Cons

Toxic culture, competitive employees, leadership is totally unapproachable. Work is directed to you - there is no room for creativity.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees and encourage the CEO to trust your ideas and expertise.

Apr 20, 2018 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I appreciate the feedback and am sorry that your experience must not have been what we are striving for here. I do think that our company perks and benefits are great - our team is constantly... More

"It's good, can be better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great location; good benefit; onsite gym; nice employ lounge; work/life balance.

Some great entry-mid level employees, smart people around, willing to help culture. But MicroStrategy is losing such people gradually, I will say a bit more in the 'Cons' section.

The transparency from leadership is increasing over the last couple of years; quarterly employee all hands meeting helps to communicate across all levels.

Cons

As a guy works for MicroStrategy for almost 10 years, I could see that there were always problems in the company and the profit was declining all these years. So why did the anger burst so fiercely in recent 3 years after the re-organization?

I don’t want to repeat the negative reviews on glassdoor. I personally agreed with some reviews and disagreed with the rest. I laughed when reading some of the hilarious reviews, I could tell many reviews were written with rage. In my mind, this was mostly because the person left that review could not adapt to change.

The old MicroStrategy had built a culture that strongly bonded employees, so once some senior leadership got changed 3 years ago; it also propagated to the entry-mid level, voluntarily: as some people work for people, not for company. And the change might have emotionally affected them that let them choose to leave voluntarily.

I don’t want to comment about which senior leadership is better, the old or the new, as I have not directly worked with either of them. But what I could tell was that many senior leadership are trying to save the company by doing what they could right now.

So yes, there is still some chaos within the company as it tries to pivot itself, and it could get people feel frustrated some times.

Advice to Management

Here is my advice about what the problems MSTR have and how to solve them (from Technology perspective)

• There was no product management, and MSTR is trying to build one but not fast enough, this is critical for the long term.

• Don’t be cheap when rewarding out-performers, give them big bonus and salary increase; and don’t let paper pushers stay around, put them on PIP and let them go.

• Try to cut E-mail forwarder positions/teams. It’s interesting to see when MicroStrategy has a few teams to just build the installation; while only one team with a few people maintaining some of the fundamental core features…

• Try to solve the pay problem: some long tenure employees get overpaid based on the work they do. It’s creating trust crisis within teams. I know demoting people means letting them go, but if a low performer is with high pay, letting them go seems to be smart choice.

"Not a bad place to work"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Room for growth if you are opinionated

Cons

They hire too much from outside. Very opinionated CEO

Advice to Management

Look more from within to promote people.

Apr 3, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad you see there is room for career growth here. One of the great things about MicroStrategy is we welcome transparency, which we hope encourages employees to... More

10. "Good pay, average leadership"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Good pay structure for consultants. Bonuses add up every quarter as long as you are billable.

Cons

Disconnected from HQ if in consulting, average leadership, high turnover