MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance is very good there" (in 78 reviews)

• "You'll work with some truly great people" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper Management: This is probably the greatest challenge within MicroStrategy" (in 54 reviews)

• "When I told senior management that they have to" (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good company, not perfect but they are trying and it shows"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

About the company : Good colleagues and friends. Nice travels. Some employees have a long tenure, which shows there is something in this company. The company clearly tries to apply the corporate values, and it takes time obviously.
    About the product : nice vision, the product is good and you can feel comfortable selling it. Compares very well to competition. Excellent appraisal from customers.
    About vision : has been a bit hectic in the past, but looks very clear now : Customer success and satisfaction.

Cons

It's not a startup, it's not a super large group.
    Trying to grow brings some cultural and organizational changes, and it's trial and error. So many small errors can happen.
    Applying the new vision is a mix of ordering and explaining. Which is sometimes not well understood by all employees and mid-managers. Therefore, loss in translation, and loss of time to re-engage people.

Advice to Management

Invest in people and in agile methods, not only for Technology but also for Sales and other Business Units. Work environment is key to feel good (modern premises).
    Push mid-management to apply what Top Mgt tries to put in place. There are good ideas but sometimes not well implemented.
    Communicate more : it's ok to have processes, and people will buy it if you explain why, and if you show the results of the processes (stats).

"Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Any individual employee can make a difference at MicroStrategy.

Cons

MicroStrategy operates in a very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to increase investment in product innovation and marketing.

Aug 21, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I love and appreciate your positivity. The impact we can all make on this company is potentially profound and glad you are a part of it.

3. "Manager"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits. Most everyone was a professional.

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful. Other times long hours.

"A lot to like, a lot to hate"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get out of working at MicroStrategy what you put into it. It can be demanding, but that can be a good thing. Management embraces change, which rubs some folks the wrong way but does keep things interesting.

Above all else though, MSTR has what I honestly believe to be the best collection of tech talent in the DC area. You'll work with some truly great people.

Casual dress code, cool office with an on-site gym, and other perks from time to time.

Cons

Change is a constant. This can be frustrating, sometimes extremely so. Management is demanding, from the CEO on down. Bring thick skin and flexibility.

Advice to Management

Try managing upwards every now and again, rather than cascading the pressure down onto your people!

5. "Great experiences working there"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer

I worked at MicroStrategy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice and smart people to work with.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

Management change a lot. Do not like the management overall.

"Old, obsolete and irrelevant - and it shows"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice offices, Tysons has great places to shop

Cons

CEO - autocratic self-serving. Employees are treated like garbage. Very strange culture and not healthy. Product is obsolete, there are no new customers.

Advice to Management

...too late

Jun 14, 2018 – HR Manager

We appreciate the feedback, and are sorry you have not felt the recent wave of change and energy in headquarters and our offices around the world. We are old for a software company, in fact we just... More

7. "Positive and Innovative Place to Work"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

great place to work, employees are friendly and smart, awesome employee perks

Cons

nothing comes to mind, definitely have to be someone who is flexible and able to work with frequent changes

Advice to Management

none

May 22, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for such a positive review. We hope to continue to provide positive experiences and an innovative space for employees to thrive.

"Each Company Is On A Journey"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

MicroStrategy is in a very interesting space, that is secure, innovative and growing. The pay is competitive, and there is opportunity for growth... If you can weather the storms.

Cons

All companies are on a Journey of maturity. MicroStrategy is no different. The question is where is this company on that Journey? Are they 20 years down the road? Have they figured out some the lessons many companies of the same age have? Interestingly, for as long as MicroStrategy has been around they share many of the challenges that start-ups do. For example:

- Internal Communications: The organization has a deeply embedded email/helpdesk communication culture. This means if you need help or want to collaborate with others on an idea or tasks, it takes an enormous amount of effort with helpdesk requests, and multiple emails. The idea that people can pick up the phone and actually talk to each other seems a bit foreign here. I'm sure this is the reason why they are pushing harder to be more "Agile."

- Upper Management: This is probably the greatest challenge within MicroStrategy. There is a real lack of collegiality, and civil treatment of subordinates. It's not uncommon to hear people being called stupid or f-bombs being dropped on people in open environments. In short, at times its abusive. This leads to stifling of innovation and ideas out of fear.

Advice to Management

Don't take yourselves so seriously. We sell software, its not life and death, and its not saving the planet. Relax, drop the egos, treat people with respect, be ok with failure more and you'll get more successes.

May 23, 2018 – HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are on a journey, still learning and developing as a business. There are many aspects of MicroStrategy that are similar to a start-up, many of them positive. Thriving... More

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive environment, good vision, good compensation, health and dental benefits, culture, product differentiators, management, senior management commitment to success

Cons

401k benefits need improvement but are ok.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on being committed to BI (Self-service, AI, Machine learning, the Intelligent Enterprise), continue with the positive and constructive culture, continue striving to be the best

May 7, 2018 – HR Manager

It's so nice to hear from current employees who believe in our product and see our leaders are committed to success, something our CEO stressed at our Company Day last week. We're committed to not... More

10. "Consultant (Independent)"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They Pay you well and have benefits

Cons

A lot of learning everyday and pretty much none stop working

May 7, 2018 – HR Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We hope our employees feel rewarded both in compensation, and the challenging work. You'll never be bored with the ongoing growth and... More