MicroStrategy Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
MicroStrategy Chairman, President, and CEO Michael J. Saylor
Michael J. Saylor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • work life balance is very good there (in 82 reviews)

• Great People to work with and always challenging assignments (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year (in 52 reviews)

• For a company that preaches transparency Microstrategy does not do a good job at all in being transparent with those not in senior management (in 29 reviews)

1. "Overall, good place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MicroStrategy has a culture where if you show a willingness to learn, or move, you can make great strides in your career path. There are quarterly surveys/reviews that give you regular opportunities to share feedback with your manager, who will hopefully work with you to make any needed changes. MicroStrategy also offers a great vacation plan and there are several other perks you can particularly take advantage of if you live near HQ. The software is innovative and an industry leader with a large worldwide presence, so you have the opportunity to work with a lot of big name companies in various locales.

Cons

Upper management doesn't always give initiatives enough time to see if they work so it can feel like you're changing direction several times a year. If you are a remote employee, it can feel as though you're left out compared to HQ - you have to value autonomy. The vision of the CEO seems to be spot on, but the timing on execution can be off - either too early or too late. It can feel like you're chasing the competition in some areas, or investing in areas no one cares about yet. Quarterly software releases may or may not be helping in that regard.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field. We're out getting direct feedback from customers on initiatives, ideas, pricing, etc. You need to be willing to take action from the feedback, not just "hear" it. ... Just as there are regular company day type activities or "fun" initiatives at HQ, encourage the field management to host similar offerings for remote workers. Oftentimes you have groups of employees clustered in a particular area and could easily do something there as you do at HQ.

Sep 23, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Your advice is on target for where we are now - I am sure you know about our initiatives to empower our Field Teams to drive business, a sense of community and collaboration, and fun for our... More

2. "Great company-"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Great employees- great pay, made lasting friendships with those that I worked with.

Cons

CEO is too involved with the day to day- affected the ability to improve systems.

Advice to Management

I hear things have changed, give people the ability to do their jobs.

Sep 23, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thanks for the review and I am glad to see that you are hearing things are changing for the better - we are working hard on that from the top down! Our goal is to make MicroStrategy the preferred... More

"MSTR software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

* MSTR HQ is in a prime location in Tysons VA, steps away from shopping mall and restaurants
    * The BI software has a great solid architecture/foundation
    * Young & Vibrant working force in the engineering department
    * Beautiful and bright office
    * Good work/life balance
    * Great team members who are brilliant and highly educated

I think the company does a great job in taking of its employees by offering affordable/great health insurance plans, the gym, free lunch/breakfast activities that happen occasionally. Although I don't know other people's compensation, I am happy with mine.

Cons

MSTR is a tech company, but from what I see, the engineering department is pretty much run by mostly non-technical people including the CTO, product owners, etc. Partly because of this reason, the company or products lack innovation badly. Most engineers I know work on fixing defects and bugs for 80 - 90% of their work time, this is necessary for delivering quality products, however, for the remaining of their time, engineers work on features that customers may never need/ask. Many features are just plain dumb and the reason why they are created is because the product owners can't keep his people idling while getting paid.

the legacy code smells and feels like a bucket of dynamite - if you change something without knowing the big picture, the entire system may crash -- boom!!!

From my experience, engineers are not encouraged to be innovative and they are **told** what defects/features they should work on from each sprint. The only opportunity I see as innovative is the hackathon that happens only ONCE a year. Compared to other companies I know, Facebook has 6- 8 hackathons a year!

MSTR should encourage its engineers to think out of the box, the product owners have no idea what makes a great software.

Favoritism is another problem I see on a daily basis, if the PO favors someone, s/he will give that person a fat bonus, which is quite unfair to those who keep their heads down and working hard.

I see no clear career path within the company either.

Advice to Management

Fire all your product owners - they are useless and counter-productive. I really hope MSTR leadership can turn the boat around before it is too late.

Sep 20, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thanks for the review and providing input on what you like and importantly on some of the cons. I do want to highlight a couple of things related to those cons that I think are important as I have... More

"Good work place that could use some improvements"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

Work-life balance
    Great coworkers-fun and friendly that you can be meaningful friends with
    Good values-everyone is friendly and transparent and it makes working relationships easy and fun
    Great starting salary
    Upper level management are accessible and friendly

Cons

Hard to move up internally within the company-HR hires externally for a LOT of the positions
    If you DO get a position internally the company (CFO) has a rep of knocking down your pay increase
    They get really excited about "Boomerangs" (people that leave and then come back) but that's really the only way to get a promotion, so it's not actually that positive.
    Some inefficient practices (getting things approved, etc)

Advice to Management

Value the growth of your employees more-HR should look at internal candidates first

Sep 15, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for the balanced perspective. I visited our Warsaw office this past week and heard some echo's of your concern about career development. Our HR team is in the midst of some work to refresh... More

"Dead end 9-5"

I have been working at MicroStrategy (More than 3 years)

Pros

For whatever reason, MSTR attracts great, talented, brilliant people. The best part about working here over the years has been my coworkers and the culture. I can honestly say that I really enjoyed my first year at MSTR. With that being said, good people are leaving (especially lately) and the culture that I speak of is DYING. Maybe instead of power playing on the 14th floor, management should focus on RETAINING these people.

Cons

-Hard work is not rewarded. The amount of favoritism at this place is disgusting.
    -Don't expect to advance as a woman at MSTR. It's a man's world.
    -Don't expect to be valued or appreciated.
    -Training for employees is minimal.
    -Not the best place for career growth.
    -There is no clear direction. Things are changing on a daily basis with zero consideration for your employees. A lot of departments are a mess right now.

Advice to Management

There are so many people that are unhappy right now. I would say to listen to your employees, but that piece of advice seems to constantly be disregarded. So, I guess all that is left is to follow MJS's lead and hire life coaches across the board for the execs and just become better human beings maybe.

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Since coming on board - I have been very impressed by our ability to attract amazing people. Your post does concern me as my job is about keeping our amazing people engaged, happy, and productive and... More

"Top Down Approach and Leadership"

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

* Lucrative compensation plan for Sales and Services leadership.
    * Still some amazing talent in pockets of the organization. Many have fled.
    * $600M+ in cash -- (could also be seen as a con also. Invest that money in your product and people)

Cons

* What type of culture is it where you have to paint the walls of your conference rooms and all the TV screen savers - company defined "values" - to remind employees of the company culture and how to behave during meetings.
    * Declining Revenues for last three years while the BI market has grown during the same time.
    * Stop blaming others on poor sales execution: "Declining revenues is a result of competitive noise" (Q2 2017 Quarterly Results Investor Call)
    * Autocratic Leadership and Decision Making. Decisions are made on the "14th floor" in a vacuum and then pushed down. No one will every question the leadership - only way to survive is "bend your knee" to the "king".
    * Compensation Plans are not configured for growth as there is no incentive to grow your business as long as individual P&L is profitable (high margin).
    * Aging Technology - Looks good in Demo's but doesn't help existing customers. Creation of platform and feature releases has helped demonstrate company can be agile and deliver quarterly releases. However, none of the customers can take advantage of quarterly releases because they are only supported for 6 months.

Advice to Management

* Build a "meritocracy" based culture where people are groomed for leadership roles within the organization and high performers are awarded for their hard work.
    * Incentivize people to grow and not become complacent.
    * Don't follow - be a leader (in product road map, innovation, sales execution and strategy).
    * Conduct 360 degree reviews to weed out ineffective management.
    * Build a culture that is organic and by the employees so it leads to better adoption.
    * Attract talent by including them in your success. Offer them Employee Stock Purchase (ESP) or options -- standard within tech industry.

Sep 9, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for this review and the thoughtful Advice to Management. There is a lot of substance to your post and your advice. I want to expand on that advice with a summary reflecting what we have... More

"Senior Account Executive"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Comp plan is outstanding
    - Customers love the product and if you have fans you can make tons of money
    - culture is really fun and start-up like

Cons

- BI is becoming a saturated market
    - micromanagement of the wrong stuff

Sep 1, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

Very happy to see your review and that you have enjoyed your experience. We are working on that "micromanagement of the wrong stuff" very actively and encourage you to continue to use your voice to... More

"Senior Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Any individual employee can make a difference at MicroStrategy.

Cons

MicroStrategy operates in a very competitive environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to increase investment in product innovation and marketing.

Aug 21, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

I love and appreciate your positivity. The impact we can all make on this company is potentially profound and glad you are a part of it.

"Not bad"

I have been working at MicroStrategy full-time

Pros

good team members, nice environment

Cons

not clear path to growth

Aug 21, 2017 – Chief Human Resources Officer

We are working on clarifying career paths for some of our disciplines where we think there is opportunity to better support the ongoing development of our team. I do find our team members to be... More

"This is fine..."

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at MicroStrategy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will note everyone mentions things like the gym or the freebies they delve out when morale (inevitably) hits critical levels. You may also note some of these reviews seem rather scripted.

During my time the peers were arguably the best aspect of the job, and ironically the dysfunctional atmosphere set me up for a much greater role. It's hard to find a better stepping stone if you make the most of your time here, just don't stay too long.

After the recent plunge, you won't hear many employees complaining about the lack of stock options. The massive amount of voluntary turnover has prevented widespread layoffs the past year.

Cons

The founder/CEO/President/Chairman of the Board/decision maker across every department. Senior leadership below Glorious Leader exist solely to enable his micromanaging processes and to lick his boots. The Old Boys Club is alive and well here.

While much data will be collected and regurgitated in manic fashions, rest assured that all decisions will solely be based upon opinions. Tenured department leaders pride themselves in their capacity to manipulate this fact.

Competitors that are 1/4 its age are now pulling in double its revenue.

Outside of your title, which you will need to fight for, your career will not grow here. Skills will atrophy in an atmosphere of "by orders of the king," so make use of Lynda and fight to get industry certifications.

Advice to Management

Over the long run there is a pattern of corporate bulimia, binging on executive hires, and ultimately purging when these hires don't help the company improve. Talented people (people who generate value-added work) bail long before the stock takes a plunge, worried more about their own market value, but also recognizing the slow and steady decline of a company that's has perpetually failed to reach its real world potential. After a couple cycles and finally recognizing the pattern, the employee chooses between a cushy unfulfilling job of looking busy/stressed/optimistic or to cut bait and move on.