MicroStrategy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

MicroStrategy Interview Questions

Updated Apr 11, 2017

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

Applied via a LinkedIn advertisement, had a phone screen with HR and spoke on the phone with the Hiring Manager. Made me take THREE online assessment tests and then the Recruiter ghosted me!!!!! The least they could do is send canditiates a rejection letter!

BD Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (McLean, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

DEMAND to take the test before talking to anyone. Strung me along made it sound like I had the job scheduled me to come in for the offer and called an hour before saying the position was filled. Position wasn't filled I failed the math section of a test for a sales position after being recognized and told by 3 managers that I was more qualified than some of the employees on their team and they were excited for me to be able to teach and help establish best practices. Didn't even have the respect to call me themselves. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL way of going about things.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

3 interviews on-site, each interview was about 20-30 minutes
    1) Present a coding project, explain why you chose it, show how it works.
    2) The tell me about yourself part
    3) Technical questions (I had 3 questions)
    Then they provided lunch for us

Interview Questions

• Gave different scenarios of when you would need to use different types of data structures, i.e. when would a HashTable be used and how to make sure then there is similar data, how could you have unique keys.   Answer Question
    • How to find a number in a sorted array?   1 Answer
    • Whats the difference between a regular class and an abstract class?   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process kicked off with a phone briefing by HR which was followed by an initial phone interview with one of the business development/account executive managers. After this interview you are required to take four online skill tests which if passed will grant you the opportunity to come in for four 30minute 1:1 interviews. These interviews with will be with two managers, director, and senior director.

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

Very quick. Had to do an online assessment of like 5 different subjects (Business, design, verbal, programming, and one more I think). Each online assignment takes about 20-25mins to complete. Onsite was a very good experience as everyone was super nice and friendly.

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I was flown in and interviewed with 4 people in succession (from lower-ranking to higher-ranking). The lowest ranking person was more interested in giving me the lay of the land and what life was like at MSTR. Some people seemed like they knew about me coming and asked me specifically about my relationship with the employee who referred me. Others appeared unfamiliar with my resume and picked out random lines on it to ask me about. I was pressed to express an interest in/passion for technology and business intelligence, the first of which confused me given that my experiences were related to technology. The highest-level interviewer asked me to take a topic I'd studied in-depth, tell him my conclusion, and how I arrived at that conclusion. Another interviewer asked me for an analytical writing sample. Logistics were generally good, received a reimbursement for expenses incurred during my interview, but I heard nothing for quite a long time after the interview (and I did remember to send thank you emails).

*Timeline*
    From referral submitted to HR screener: 2 weeks
    From HR screener to invite for on-site: <1 week
    From on-site to decision: >2 weeks

Interview Questions

• Why is business intelligence important? How does it impact different types of people?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in January 2017.

Interview

Got a brief phone call from the HR after applying through online. The phone call was a very brief behavioral interview with a little tell-me-about-yourself type of questions. Overall, the interviewer was really nice. After that, I got a Hakerrank online coding test link that I had to finish within 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Describe one instance or project that you disagreed with your professor/supervisor and had to adjust.   Answer Question
    • Describe a project that you worked on from beginning to end   Answer Question

Support Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy in January 2017.

Interview

I had a great positive experience with the company - talent acquisition team made it very simple and straightforward. Here are steps and time frames of the application process:
    -response after initial application and scheduling following phone interview (2-3 business days)
    -behavioral phone interview (2-3 business days)\
    -4 online assessment tests (1 business day)
    -technical phone interview (2-3 business days)
    -onsite interview (3-4 business days)
    -background check (4 business days)

The ream quickly responds to all emails and does its best to make their expectations clear. During onsite interview they give you a tour around the building and provide you with their benefits package, which is quite generous.

Interview Questions

• A car travels a distance of 60 miles at an average speed of 30 mph. How fast would the car have to travel the same 60 mile distance home to average 60 mph over the entire trip?   2 Answers

Technical Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at MicroStrategy (Tysons Corner, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process took about three weeks. I had two phone interviews and one in person interview that lasted about an hour and a half. First interview was very basic-- about myself, about the position, about the company, basic customer service questions. Second interview consisted of a little bit more about the position and company, basic customer service question, and one brain teaser. Third interview was more about me and the company, a brain teaser question, and talking about a project I did in college.

Interview Questions

• You’ve got someone working for you for seven days and a gold bar to pay them. You must pay the worker for their work at the end of every day. If you are only allowed to make two breaks in the gold bar, how do you pay your worker? (Assuming equal amount of work is done during each day thus requiring equal amount of pay for each day)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at MicroStrategy.

Interview

* I did not go through the full process. Though I felt it was still important to let anyone know what the first few steps were like.

Was contacted by a recruiter regarding this opportunity to work with node and react. Then I did the following:

1. 45 minute HackerrankX test with one small coding exercise and 19 trivia questions (multiple choice)
    2. 30 minute interview with their tech lead.
    3. ...

Keep in mind that even if you have 5+ years of experience, they will give you all the textbook questions from college (yes, recall all the sorting algorithms you may not have used on a daily basis).

Though I did not get a hunch that the results from the test mattered. I spoke with one of their tech leads over the phone, explained the usual "tell me about yourself", then get grilled with technical questions with 3 minutes to ask him about the company.

My overall impression was that you'll end up being a code monkey when you get hired there. More disheartening that I did not feel excited about what they're doing there after approximately 1.5 hours of technical grilling. We mutually agreed that this wasn't going to work out.