ADP Software Engineer - Dealer Services Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Software Engineer - Dealer Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ADP (Portland, OR) in June 2012.

Interview

I interviewed for a position with Dealer services in Portland. I was contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a phone interview that lasted about an hour. I was shuffled through several managers because positions opened and closed, etc. In total I did three 1 hour interviews.

I was asked to do an in person interview. The people I met onsite were very courteous and the atmosphere was very relaxed. It was a panel interview but it wasn't intimidating or tense. The interviewers were very friendly and joked a lot. The department manager also very welcoming and friendly. After meeting these people I really wanted to work for the company as it seemed like a great place to work. I was very excited about it.

They decided they liked me too and extended an offer. I had given an income range I was shooting for and they were at the top end of it. The benefits seemed really good. I was stoked.

I was assigned a person who would be "coordinating" me during the hiring process. I was told that she would be performing a background check on me and after that I would be cleared to start work. My assumption was this meant the usual: check my references, former employers, and do a drug screen and criminal background check. These are all things that have never been a problem for me in the past, so I wasn't worried at all and started to plan to join this company.

The first thing that happened was, I had two days to take a drug test after receiving my offer letter. I came home from work that night, got the letter and drug test paperwork and the next day I tried to schedule it, the company told me it is walk-in only. So I drove into this facility on my lunch break and arrived about 1:30pm to find out they were closed for the day. So I immediately called the recruiter and "coordinator" and told them about this and they expressed that I needed to hurry and get this done.

The next day I am told the drug test "expired". It had been two days since the letter was SENT but In actuality I only had 1 day to take this test, which I tried to do. After a very rude lecture about revoking the offer and being told like a child that I needed to get in and take the test, I did. They gave me a "second chance" and extended it a day. Thankfully this facility was open that morning and I had to skip out of work to rush in and take this test. I passed.

Then came my "background". I have been at my current position for almost 4 years, and the last two businesses are no longer in business. I was told by my coordinator that I need to check the box "yes you may contact this employer" to move forward. I only checked no because they're out of business but I was a bit put off about being told I HAD to check this box. I've never been told to modify an application like this, but i I did.

I got a call at 6:30am by an outsourced company about getting proof of these positions because they couldn't get a hold of anyone at a business that didn't exist. They didn't listen to my explanation so I just called the coordinator. She tells me to call the IRS to get the information.

So, I spend hours on the phone with the IRS and was told that for records that old I would have to pay a $65 fee for each W2. I called my coordinator back and asked if I should go forward with purchasing this or if there was another option. I was told to LIE TO THE IRS and tell them I need a work history result for PERSONAL REASONS and they won't charge me for it. I declined. She decided that W2s would work for this, so I drove out to my parent's house and after a few hours of searching I managed to dig out my W2s going back to 2004 and faxed them in.

I was told this would do. A few days later I was told that they called my current employer and the income reported was slightly less than what I had reported on my application. My company reported the income that I had made last year, and I put down my "current rate" because that's what I make now. I got a raise last August, but because my W2 reflects 8 months at one rate then 4 months of another, the numbers didn't match up. This year's W2 will show the current rate but last years is lower.

I explained this and faxed it in and was told I would need to contact my employer and provide additional proof of my current rate. Since we have paperless payroll I needed to register an account with payroll to view my pay stubs online, and this would take a week or so to implement. The problem: I only had two more days to come up with this printout.

I was told that an offer would not be extended without this and I needed to put pressure on my employer to provide this. At this point I had had enough of this treatment and time wasting and decided to decline their offer .It was simply one thing after another and I spent so much time on it and didn't want to lie and cause trouble with my current employer in hopes that the offer would be made "final".

Interview Questions

• If you were to find something in Linux, what command would you use?   1 Answer
  • How do you view working with older technology?   1 Answer

I declined this offer because of several consecutive failures at the corporate level that left me with the impression that bureaucracy means more than their employees, and that I'm not a person but another number that must jump through hoops and dance to their every whim. The coordinator was like a gatekeeper and she threatened me several times to "yank the offer" from me and talked down to me and treated me like a child when I was putting forth a lot of effort to comply. At the end of the day instead of screening in someone they screened me out.