Amazon Lab126 Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Lab126 Senior Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 5, 2017

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Seattle, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied online many months ago. Recruiter called to setup phone screening which was followed by another phone screening by an engineering manager. Once that was passed, I went to Seattle for onsite interview, which was by far the worst experience.

Amazon recruiters were super nice until you go for onsite. After that, they will leave you hanging with no feedback. It has been two months since I attended onsite. So far, HR and recruiters did not even bother to tell me the results inspiteof couple of emails and phone calls asking for the updates. "Lack of courtesy" should be added as another core value of Amazon.

Onsite interview itself was very intense. I strongly believe that most of the interviewers have no clue in what they are looking for. To add more spice to the process, none of the interviewers was a hiring manager. The questions kept coming as if their only job is to ask questions, not to listen. One of the interviewers told me that he had only one year experience as program manager. He has no clue of program management, he was asking random meaningless questions.

Interview Questions

• Every interviewer will ask standard boiler plate question -- If you have specific type of scenario, how do you handle it? For example, if you have difficult project that missed deadline, how do you handle it. If one person asks these kind of questions, that's okay. Five people, one after other, asked similar kind of hypothetical questions, non-stop.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon Lab126

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Very well organized. 5 interviewers from various disciplines, SW development, HW development, Program Management. Mostly 1:1 interviews but some panel interviews. Interviews lasted the entire day. Mostly asked behavioral type questions. Remember: STAR

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Cupertino, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

I saw that Amazon had Technical Program Manager jobs available in San Francisco so I applied via the careers section on their website. I didn't hear anything for two months so I figured that they had passed on me. I then saw another posting, this time in Cupertino, so I tried again. Within a couple of days I was contacted by one of their recruiters. I've got a fair bit of experience so he quizzed me about my suitability for a more senior position that he is trying to fill. Unfortunately I didn't meet their criteria of having 50 people reporting to me within the past three years. It's interesting how short a time frame they use to decide if someone has the experience they need.

The recruiter suggested that my experience was appropriate for a Senior Technical Program Manager position so I have been interviewing for that job. I've had two phone interviews so far, one with a Senior Technical Program Manager and the second from an Engineering Manager.

The questions that they use for interviewing Technical Program Managers are a mix of project management and technical questions.

Interview Questions

• When have you mentored someone, describe the experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Amazon Lab126 (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Standard 5 person interview panel, each focusing on a different area of experience. Each interview took 30-40 minutes so about 4 hours total. Nice people, relaxed atmosphere. I wanted to join this team by the end.

Interview Questions

• What new product should Amazon create? Why? How would you sell the idea to Jeff Bezos?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated to delay my start date by 3 months so I could volunteer to work for a non-profit.