American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 19, 2017
1,418 Interview Reviews

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online took assessment test online one week later received email for a video interview. Taking my video interview today. Any advice from anyone who has gone through the process?!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   4 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   1 Answer
    • What was your best customer service experience?   3 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   14 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?   1 Answer
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)   1 Answer

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I needed to share a review, but I am only at the very beginning of the process. I applied on 05/16, got an assessment to do a few hours later and now, I'm waiting to see if I passed it to do the video interview.

Is there anyone that could share a timeline? I've seen many posts but I was wondering if there's anyone else that just applied too! Thank you!

Interview Questions

• It was mainly situationals and behavioral questions.   134 Answers

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

This is the 4th airline I am applying for and it was been the easiest video interview, but also the longest wait time between applying and getting an email for a video interview. I only just finished the interview today so I have not been called for a face to face yet, but Im hoping!

I first applied for American Airlines through the website on May 16th, got an email to complete the assessment the next day, and was invited to the video interview about 18 days after applying, on June 3rd.

I was hired by United back in September, before they realized I wouldn't be turning 21 for another 6 months. I also went to a face to face interview for jetBlue and almost got the job, and did a video and phone interview with Virgin America, so by the time I did the interview with American I felt pretty seasoned and prepared. That being said, I thought the video interview was relatively easy. To prepare I skimmed a few pages of the interviews here on Glassdoor and I wrote out each question that people said they had been asked, on a document on my computer. I wound up with around 19 questions, and I typed out all of my answers just to make sure I'd have something to say.
    On top of knowing what you're going to say, I DEFINITELY recommend researching the company a lot (all of this studying helps helps with the face to face if you get it as well). Know how long the company has been around, important achievements, hubs, fleet size, number of destinations, values, etc. If you know all of this it will be easy to casually throw a few facts into each of your questions so that they know you are serious about the career and you researched it. I have also been watching every flight attendant video I could find online for years, so make sure you watch flight attendant vloggers or tips on youtube if you're not sure exactly what they looking for or how you should act.

Another tip is to dress as if you are already a flight attendant. It's okay if you can't afford a $100 blazer, or if you don't have access to a dress suit yet, but make sure you at least wear a very dressy shirt with minimal accessories, neat pulled back hair, and only one piercing in each ear (no visible tattoos or colored nail polish!!) If you do have your "uniform" already (this should include a white button up shirt, black blazer, black pencil skirt, etc. if you are a girl- this is similar to what you should wear at a face to face interview and what you would wear on the job) then definitely wear it!! If you are a girl red lipstick is always a plus too. No crazy makeup, as long as your complexion looks clear enough and your hair is neat.

The video interview itself consists of six pretty straightforward questions, and each time you can read along and there is also a man's voice reading the question out loud twice. Then you'll have 60 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to record your response. You'll also have the opportunity to test the video and sound, so don't worry!

Anyway, I have not yet gone to the face to face but will definitely try to review that as well after I go. (Confidence is key, so tell yourself you'll get it!!)

Good luck to everyone and if you don't get it on your first try don't worry! I got my first airline only to get it taken away for being too young, then I didn't get my next two airlines, and now this is my 4th and hopefully i'll get it! Just be patient and learn from your mistakes.

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city?   Answer Question
    • Can you adhere to the policy of no tattoos/piercings?   Answer Question
    • Explain your previous work experience and how it prepares you for being a flight attendant.   Answer Question
    • Name a time you dealt with a customer who was upset.   Answer Question
    • Name a memorable time you experienced good customer service.   2 Answers
    • Why American Airlines?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I applied July 16, and did the online assessment the next day. Finally received an invite 9/8 for the VI which I completed last night (9/11). Waiting for next steps. Any one else out there with same time line as me?

Interview Questions

• What interest you about moving to a new city?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you received exceptional customer service   Answer Question

Trainee Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Hi all! I wrote on here before when I just received my itinerary for the f2f back in July. I wanted to update on my experiences in Dallas and how my process went. But disclaimer: EVERYONE's experience is different and please don't stress out if you haven't heard anything back versus that experience of another person who may have gotten through quicker. I CANNOT stress that enough. The recruiters stressed that "fingerprinting" which none of us got that day of the interview does not guarantee any job offer. This process I found out takes a lot of time and every aspect is reviewed by multiple individuals (yes they actually watch your video interviews) so try and be patient. The people who interviewed us were the ones that reviewed our VIs.
    I left to Dallas and then rode on a shuttle to the AA conference and training center on the day of my interview. It was a smooth process. I was one of the few that came from the east coast and had to take two flights there. Now when the recruiters ask you how your morning went and....smile and say it was fantastic even though more than likely you're nervous and tired and hangry. This is all part of the job you're applying for. The flight there was part of the test.
    Here's another important thing. Dress professionally but try and STAND OUT. I remember walking into my interview and seeing a sea of people in the lobby all dressed the exact same. Blue jacket, blue pants, white shirt, etc. Now I'm not saying that is not acceptable because it definitely is. Wardrobe is important so I dressed in business attire except I went with a navy dress and a crisp light colored blazer and a nude strap heel. Seems weird, but believe it or not I stood out. Don't be afraid to mix things up, but definitely keep your hair back. Guys, dress professionally and keep facial hair groomed well if you have any.
    Next, be social but NOT crazy. Don't feel like you have to force things including acting overly social. Put your best foot forward and attempt to introduce yourself to the room including the recruiters. The next piece of advice I would definitely recommend is to volunteer to be the speaker of your group during the games. You don't get that many opportunities to stand out during the group sessions so this is the most crucial offer you have to get to make a statement. I volunteered to speak for my group and be sure to show off your personality as best you can. This I believe was exactly why I got singled out later on.
    Next, the group interviews. I was led into a room with two recruiters and about 5 other candidates. We were each asked the same question and got to answer one by one down the line. My advice? DON'T ramble. They are looking for a clear concise, yet personable answer that doesn't take 20 years to listen to. One person in my group kept going on and on and on and you could feel the tension cutting through the room. It was awkward. When listening to the other candidates, keep in mind...the key is to stand out. If someone is talking about a similar story or answer try to quickly tailor yours to something else. It's easy to get lost in the group if too many people are answering in similar ways. Only you know you the best. Be courteous of others while sitting and make eye contact as best you can while answering. Sometimes it's not what you say it's how you're saying it.
    Lastly, if you get called out into the hallway and led to an individual interview continue to be smiley and approachable and YOURSELF. These recruiters just want to know your purpose behind why you want to work for their company. Everyone has a purpose behind the passion, don't be afraid to share that. I had an excellent time with my recruiter and we instantly connected. Now here's the important part that I hope all will pay attention to.....I did not get fingerprinted or tested further after my one on one. They assured me that nobody that day was (own personal experience others may vary) and that I would know something within the next four days. They told me by email. They walked me out and wished me well.
    Anddd what would you know 4 days later I got an offer in an email inviting me to accept the CJO. I'm very excited and am awaiting official training dates/background screening info.
    Y'all everyone's experiences are different. Every interview session has a different layout. I can't wait to meet everyone in my future training class! My entire application to hiring process took a total of just about two months.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Don't let the reviews freak you out about the face to face. They make it very comfortable for you and you make a lot of friends. Just talk to everyone be social. Don't try to outshine everyone constantly. Shine bright when it's your turn but stay humble when it's not. Small group activity, then small group where you get asked 3 questions. Then I was asked to go to a one on one. Last I did the stand and reach and they took a copy of my passport. Hoping that's a good sign and I'll hear soon! They didn't fingerprint anyone because training isn't until march 2018. Don't believe everything you read on Glassdoor and just relax and enjoy the interview because it was an experience that's so different but fun. They did say you have a higher chance of getting into Harvard than getting this position so don't take it hard if you don't get a CJO. The fact that you got to the face to face is amazing. Good luck everyone! I put that I got an offer cause I'm staying positive and trying to speak it into existence!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   6 Answers

Customer Service Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied online and a couple weeks later got an email inviting me to a group interview.

The interview process included 2 managers and 2 potential hires. The environment was very comfortable. We went back and forth answering situational questions.

They said they were looking to bring someone on ASAP. Heard from them over a week after the interview saying that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to work with a difficult coworker, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you were working in an unsafe environment, what actions did you take?   Answer Question
    • Give us an example of a time you went above and beyond.   Answer Question