American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 28, 2017
1,211 Interview Reviews

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online took assessment test online one week later received email for a video interview. Taking my video interview today. Any advice from anyone who has gone through the process?!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   13 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   3 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   Answer Question
    • What was your best customer service experience?   2 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?
      Answer Question
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)
      1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

Timeline- Applied 10/20 - Video 11/26 - F2F 2/9
    PLEASE READ! Dress as a flight attendant. I can't stress this enough, head to toe. Pull your hair back, red lips, minimum jewelry, button up top or dress, JACKET (it's business), pants or pencil skirt, tights or stockings, WEAR THEM, nice dress shoes. Look the part you are applying for!

Face to face breakdown: There are 4 tables set up in the room, 8 people at each table. You start with a writing assignment. Then you move into the group activity. You all have 5 minutes to come up with 3 things you have in common and then one thing others get to guess about you. Then it's presented in front of the other groups so they're able to guess "who's who". Smile, interact with your table, and talk to everyone. They are watching you at all times. Then they break you into other groups and go into another room to interview with 2 recruiters. They ask, tell me about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. This goes in order of how you are sitting. Do NOT say you love to travel. Figure out another way to state it. Then they ask, in any order, "a time where you handled a difficult customer service situation". Have this planned out and ready for the day. Explain the situation and how you solved it. The next part is the random card questions. They give you a card, you lay it face down until you stand up and answer it. I will post those questions below. After this is finished you head back into the room and watch a presentation, continue to smile, ask questions and enjoy your time. They will slowly start to pull people out for a one-on-one. There are 4 recruiters that have been in the room all day and then there are random ones that start pulling people. The ones that you have seen before are pulling people to take them to the shuttle, the ones that you haven't seen all day are pulling for a one-on-one. If you make it to the one-on-one you pretty much have it. They ask the basic, tell me about yourself, why do you think you're a good fit for a flight attendant, what does customer service mean to you, what are some challenges you think you'll face, how do you start a conversation with someone, what does the uniform mean to you, do you have any tattoos. When they ask you if you have tattoos, BE HONEST! I have 7....two of which are on the top of my foot. Although I was wearing black tights, I still covered them up to show that they would never be a problem. If you don't come with them covered and they ask to see them, you will not get the job. Be smart and respectful. They want to hire you but they want to make sure they can trust you to keep them covered at all times while in uniform. I was then offered CJO on the spot. Signed papers, got my fingerprints take, fitted for jump seat and reach test. Just waiting for my 'official' letter to put in my 2 weeks at current job and training starts in 3 weeks! Good luck to everyone. They told us they had 330,000 applications so to make it to the F2F is a huge step. If you don't make it the first time, get back up and try again!

Interview Questions

• Who would you pick to sit next to on a plane for 12 hours?   9 Answers
    • They last time you received an act of kindness or gave it?   Answer Question
    • What was your last social media post?   Answer Question

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

FACE TO FACE: I flew out the day before because I was coming from CA and didn't want to stress about potentially being late for the interview. Day of: I was a half hour early, and chatted with some of the other candidates. We were welcomed by a recruiter and then escorted to the interviewing room. There was about 4 tables of 7-8 we had about 45 people there. The host makes you feel SO welcome. And I'm not just saying that. I walked in with sweaty palms and felt so relaxed when he greeted me in. I also was myself! Chatted with everyone within my table. They're watching you the second you walk through that door

We start with a short writing assignment. Ranking a situation with things of most important to least important. Then we played a fun quick game. We had a short break and then we're called out on by one with different people from the room to do that group interview. It's a panel interview. We were all in a line while the 2 recruiters were in front of us. We were asked 3 questions total. First (in order), question was tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. After that 2nd question, in no order, tell as a time you had to deal with a customer who was having a challenging situation. 3rd question, we drew from a pile. Mine was: Tell us about your most recent travel experience.

Best advice is to be yourself and stay true to who you are <3
    After this we went back and watched a power point about the day in the life at AA
    Then one by one people were called out. I was about the 8th called out. And was walked into a separate room where I was given a one on one and CJO!
    As read before this really is the more relaxing part. They're so genuine and some of the nicest people I've ever met including all the other candidates. If you don't get a CJO I encourage you to reapply.
    This is an amazing company!
    After this we do a drug screen, finger prints and fitted for a jump seat and over head compartment reach test. I start training on the 6Th of March!

I hope this helps! I know I was looking everyday here on glass door.
    It's okay to be nervous! Just know you'll be in good hands! best of luck! ✈️💕

Interview Questions

• Possible random questions: Importance of the uniform? What is a quality a flight attendant should have? What does customer service mean to you? If you could be with someone on a plane for 12 hours who would it be and why?   33 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I decided to apply online last minute. I was called for an interview and then invited to do to Dallas for another interview. After I was told that they were offering my the job.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work for American?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied 2 weeks prior to receiving an email, inviting me to come for a face to face group interview, there were 6 other people for the group interview and you get interviewed by 3 managers, it lasted about 30 min. Then they emailed me a week later with an offer. All Glory to GOD!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and your previous customer service experience   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at American Airlines (Tempe, AZ) in April 2017.

Interview

I initially met AA at my university's engineering career fair on March 14; I briefly talked with them about myself, my capstone project (which my client happened to be American Airlines), and handed them my resume. A couple days later, I got an email saying they'd like to interview me. March 20, I went in for the interview which was held near my campus and lasted only thirty minutes. It was mostly behavioral questions and questions about my projects; they were reading off the questions straight from their form so it was very structured in their execution. A week after that interview, I received another email from the manager who was at the interview and the one I'd be working with saying that he wanted me to continue the interview process, but he needed to work through the "red tape" to get a job position established suitable for a recent grad. Two weeks later, I got a job link sent to me. I applied to it and let the manager know that I applied; once he found out I applied, he immediately arranged for me to come in for a second interview. April 25, I went to the Rio Salado hub and met with the team I'd be potentially working with. The structure of this interview was similar to the first one in the fact that they were just reading questions off from a form. However, this interview was an hour long, had a lot more technical questions, and there was a problem solving exercise where I had to draw an ERD diagram on the whiteboard. Two days after the interview, I got a call from the manager saying they wanted to offer me the job.

Cabin Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Two interviews, one with two Analyst. One with hiring manager. Like every interview at AA I feel like i'm at a disadvantage not being a certain race or gender. They have so many cliques in this company and since it very management heavy they can get away with ignoring skills and basing choices on more superficial criteria.