American Airlines Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017
1,492 Interview Reviews

2.8

Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online took assessment test online one week later received email for a video interview. Taking my video interview today. Any advice from anyone who has gone through the process?!

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First off I am not sure I would have done as well as I did on the interview if it were not for Glassdoor. It was a great resource for studying and knowing what to expect. I hope I am able to help a few others along the way!

I submitted my application August 14th and received an invitation to do the video interview on August 31st. I had 5 days to complete the interview and I did mine on September 4th. Use those days to prepare! In my video interview I was asked these questions: 1) What excites you most about moving to a new city after training? 2)Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation. 3) Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort. 4) What was your best customer service experience? 5) Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles? You have 1 minute between questions and 3 minutes to respond to each question. For the video interview, be sure to dress just as you would for a face to face interview. Also remember to look at the camera and not yourself (as you will be able to see yourself on the screen during the interview).

On September 27th I received an invitation to schedule my face to face interview, which was on October 7th in Dallas. I arrived about an hour early and sat with others interviewing for the position. I do not think there were any "hidden recruiters" watching us, but it was nice to get to know everyone because you will be spending lots of time with them that day! We were taken into a room with tables set up and 8 chairs were at each table. We had a worksheet to do and a very short writing assignment (nothing scary or intimidating - just common sense). After everyone arrived, we watched a video about American Airlines and then went into the group activity. Each table had to write down 3 things that everyone at the table had in common and then 1 unique thing about each individual. One spokesperson for the group presented it to the room, but everyone did stand up front and say there name. The rest of the room had to guess which characteristic belonged to which person. During the group activity, recruiters were writing notes on their clipboards. We were then split up into different groups for a group interview. All of us were asked the same two questions: 1) Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant. 2) Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer. Then we each chose a card and were not able to look at it until we were ready to stand up and read the question. Everyone had a different question. I was asked to tell them about my most recent travel experience. After the group interview, we watched a presentation about the job (what they do, hours, pay, benefits, etc.) and then asked any questions if we had them. Then everyone was called out of the room one by one. We were told that they were calling us out to confirm our contact information and that we would find out within two weeks if they wanted us or not. Now I can only speak on my particular experience and I did not talk with anyone else to know what happens if they did not get a job offer. I was called into the room and answered some questions one on one with a recruiter (none of these questions were confirming my contact information by the way). I was then taken to do a reach test, sit in the jump seat, fill out paperwork for a background check, and I was fingerprinted. I received my CJO 5 days later on October 12th!

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about moving to a new city after training?   4 Answers
    • Talk about a time you had to adapt to a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time you had to work as a team effort.   1 Answer
    • What was your best customer service experience?   5 Answers
    • Are you able to adhere to the policy of no tattoos, piercings, or extreme hairstyles?   2 Answers
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a flight attendant.   2 Answers
    • Tell us about a time you had to deal with a challenging customer.   1 Answer
    • Tell us about your most recent travel experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process really opened my eyes to the world of aviation and transportation. During interview, you were seated at a table of 6-8 people. Get to know these people because they are your future classmates, coworkers, froends and foes. Recruiters are watching and taking notes as they observe how you interact and listen to your peers. Games are played with the intent to observe how well you relate to others and the world in general. Each interview session has a host that will guide you through the interview and answer any questions you have. Once the recruiters have observed you in a big crowd, the will hold smaller interviews with groups of 8 people. If they decide they want you, you will be called, in no particular order, from the big room to have finger prints done and an additional one-on-one interview will be held.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about one time where you had to take the initiative and how it worked out.   15 Answers

Trainee Flight Attendant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Fort Worth, TX).

Interview

Hi all! I wrote on here before when I just received my itinerary for the f2f back in July. I wanted to update on my experiences in Dallas and how my process went. But disclaimer: EVERYONE's experience is different and please don't stress out if you haven't heard anything back versus that experience of another person who may have gotten through quicker. I CANNOT stress that enough. The recruiters stressed that "fingerprinting" which none of us got that day of the interview does not guarantee any job offer. This process I found out takes a lot of time and every aspect is reviewed by multiple individuals (yes they actually watch your video interviews) so try and be patient. The people who interviewed us were the ones that reviewed our VIs.
    I left to Dallas and then rode on a shuttle to the AA conference and training center on the day of my interview. It was a smooth process. I was one of the few that came from the east coast and had to take two flights there. Now when the recruiters ask you how your morning went and....smile and say it was fantastic even though more than likely you're nervous and tired and hangry. This is all part of the job you're applying for. The flight there was part of the test.
    Here's another important thing. Dress professionally but try and STAND OUT. I remember walking into my interview and seeing a sea of people in the lobby all dressed the exact same. Blue jacket, blue pants, white shirt, etc. Now I'm not saying that is not acceptable because it definitely is. Wardrobe is important so I dressed in business attire except I went with a navy dress and a crisp light colored blazer and a nude strap heel. Seems weird, but believe it or not I stood out. Don't be afraid to mix things up, but definitely keep your hair back. Guys, dress professionally and keep facial hair groomed well if you have any.
    Next, be social but NOT crazy. Don't feel like you have to force things including acting overly social. Put your best foot forward and attempt to introduce yourself to the room including the recruiters. The next piece of advice I would definitely recommend is to volunteer to be the speaker of your group during the games. You don't get that many opportunities to stand out during the group sessions so this is the most crucial offer you have to get to make a statement. I volunteered to speak for my group and be sure to show off your personality as best you can. This I believe was exactly why I got singled out later on.
    Next, the group interviews. I was led into a room with two recruiters and about 5 other candidates. We were each asked the same question and got to answer one by one down the line. My advice? DON'T ramble. They are looking for a clear concise, yet personable answer that doesn't take 20 years to listen to. One person in my group kept going on and on and on and you could feel the tension cutting through the room. It was awkward. When listening to the other candidates, keep in mind...the key is to stand out. If someone is talking about a similar story or answer try to quickly tailor yours to something else. It's easy to get lost in the group if too many people are answering in similar ways. Only you know you the best. Be courteous of others while sitting and make eye contact as best you can while answering. Sometimes it's not what you say it's how you're saying it.
    Lastly, if you get called out into the hallway and led to an individual interview continue to be smiley and approachable and YOURSELF. These recruiters just want to know your purpose behind why you want to work for their company. Everyone has a purpose behind the passion, don't be afraid to share that. I had an excellent time with my recruiter and we instantly connected. Now here's the important part that I hope all will pay attention to.....I did not get fingerprinted or tested further after my one on one. They assured me that nobody that day was (own personal experience others may vary) and that I would know something within the next four days. They told me by email. They walked me out and wished me well.
    Anddd what would you know 4 days later I got an offer in an email inviting me to accept the CJO. I'm very excited and am awaiting official training dates/background screening info.
    Y'all everyone's experiences are different. Every interview session has a different layout. I can't wait to meet everyone in my future training class! My entire application to hiring process took a total of just about two months.

American Airlines Flight Attendant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines.

Interview

I needed to share a review, but I am only at the very beginning of the process. I applied on 05/16, got an assessment to do a few hours later and now, I'm waiting to see if I passed it to do the video interview.

Is there anyone that could share a timeline? I've seen many posts but I was wondering if there's anyone else that just applied too! Thank you!

Interview Questions

• It was mainly situationals and behavioral questions.   139 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Disclaimer: I am still waiting to hear back for a CJO (Job Offer) or a TBNT (Thanks But No Thanks) letter. However I did make it to the Face-to-Face and did the reach test/was fingerprinted.

Video Interview:
    For the video interview, they will email you saying you have 5 days to complete your interview. This is done through an application (for your computer or phone). An automated voice will ask you a question and you will have to answer within the time limit. If you finish before the time limit, you are able to click the next button, otherwise it continues itself and cuts you off. Take the advice of others on glassdoor, dress similar to a flight attendant. Females: I wore a white shirt with a black blazer and my hair in a bun. Simple with no jewelry. I did a light layer of red lipstick. Males: I hear it's best to be clean shaven, wear a button up, blazer if you feel the need. If you have multiple piercings, keep it to one set (one in each ear) and remove any other ones.

Important: Review questions on here that people got in their Video Interview. I gathered all possible questions here and studied. Every question that I was given in the video interview, I had an answer for because I knew it was coming.

Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5): See Below

Preparing for Face-to-Face Interview:
    Congrats! You've made it. You should get an email stating that you have passed the Video Interview. You may be getting multiple emails so be patient but also don't be afraid to email the Talent Advisor. You will get an email or call; they will be asking for information so they can prepare your flight out. You will get an option between two days out of the week (these dates will be about 2 weeks out from when you receive the email). You can pick whether you want to fly in the same day of your interview or the day before. They will do their best to fly you out same day if that's what you ask. However, if your flight will arrive too close to the interview time then they will ask if they can fly you before (This happened to me). You must pay for your hotel and find transportation to the interview if you choose to go the day before.

ACTUAL Face-To-Face:
    Whew. We are here.
    If your location is the same as mine; your interview will be located at the Training & Conference center. They did not state the building. I asked a security guard and mine was held in the Falcon building. You enter a room, two people will be there to greet you. Someone behind a desk, signing you in (Remember! Bring a passport and ID - or passport receipt and ID) and a beautiful Flight Attendant who will act as the host. You will be asked to sit at the front-most tables that are closest to the screen. There are about 8 people to a table. An opening introduction is made by the host and the recruiters (about 6) come in and introduce themselves.

You will play the game Who's Who? It's really easy and how to play doesn't really matter so I'll skip that. The important thing to note is that the recruiters are walking around and observing you working together. They are taking notes! So just be aware. Then there is a break (about 10 mins) where you can use the restroom and snack on the food provided. Then you will be called by a recruiter for the group interview. They call 8 of you randomly and lead you into a separate room. Another person you haven't seen will be there.

Group Interview: You will be asked about 3 questions.
    -1) Tell me about yourself. Why do you want to be a FA?
    -2) When was a time you dealt with a difficult customer?
    -3) Random Question, drawn from a pile of cards.

Important: They want you to keep it short! Do not ramble. Provide an answer to the question - do your best to circle it back to customer service. Stay composed. This interview process is more based on how you act than the actual questions itself (which are very few).

You will go back to the room for a presentation on salary, benefits, day in the life, etc. They tell you that at a later day you will be finger printed and possibly given a job offer. They will say after the presentation everyone will be called out one-on-one to review resumes and ask a few more questions.

As others have stated, it's a lie that you get fingerprinted on another day. Some went home and others (like myself) were taken to a separate room after the one-on-one to fill out info for a background check, do a reach test and get finger printed.

You will hear back from them in 1-2 weeks. I went to the F2F on the 3rd and am still waiting to hear back. hope I helped.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Flight Attendant?   3 Answers
    • --Possible Random Questions:
      ~~~How would you interact with others? What's a quality a FA should have? What was your last travel experience? What does customer service mean to you? Positive role model? What are your hobbies? Last Facebook post? What do you know about AA? What company comes to mind when you think of great customer service? Importance of the uniform?   1 Answer
    • Possible Questions for Video Interview (You're only asked about 5):
      1. Why do you want to be a flight attendant?
      2. What was your best/worst customer service experience?
      3. What can you bring to the company?
      4. Can you adhere to the no piercing, tattoo, or extreme hair policy?
      5. What is the importance of the uniform?
      6. Tell me about a hard situation you had to adapt to?
      7. What do you forsee the challenges of being a flight attendant?
      8. How did your last job help you prepare to be a flight attendant?
      etc. etc. review glassdoor! :)   1 Answer

Flight Attendant Interview

Interview

I applied back in July, after about a week I received my email to do a video interview, the questions were exactly what everyone else has explained.. if you get invited to a face to face the person in your group interview is actually the person who saw your video interview. After a long 3 months I received an email being invited to the face to face interview which I went to on October 18th, 2017. At the face to face we did a group activity with everyone at your table, then went off into group interviews & then individual interviews... nobody found out that day if they moved forward or not. Two days later I received an offer email which I accepted on the same day. I have yet to hear anything else back about when training will be starting or anything but the experience was amazing and everyone at American was amazing!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a flight attendant?   11 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at American Airlines (New York, NY).

Interview

Hi guys! Just want to share some my personal experience for interviewing for FA with AA. It was a long journey but luckily I made it to my CJO. I did tons of reading on Glassdoor and Forums. I hope my suggestions can help!
    TIMELINE
    F2F 10/11
    CJO accepted 10/14

About VI
    Glassdoor helps a lot.
    Read questions other listed. Exactly the same.
    tips: smile,be confident , dress professional exactly like a FA.

About F2F
    -1st Table Activity. Act you are friendly and easy going person. Stay normal communication with your table mates. Should your willingness to do group work

-2nd Group Panel. this is the KEY step that decide you get selected or not . Please do your best to get prepared to answer the •question:Why you want to be a FA with AA? Please compose your answer with:
    -what's your future career related to AA
    -how much you know about AA
    -how your personal background make you qualify to be FA with AA
    ( I think I did a great job for this question.by telling them my great passion how I want to commit in travel and hospitality filed. How I understand travel people's needs. I also did tons of research showing I know AA well. Including: history. staff positive feedbacks. Reputation in aviation industry)
    •your customer service experience. Please do a simple and easy understanding experience( don't try to put too much information out there to say you deals with tons of customer before. Be specific and example list)
    •the last one is a random questions that you have 30second to react

About 1on1
    As I said on last paragraph. They select people after the panel . You will be called out . Either to send out to shuttle to go home or go to a 1on1 interview. If you go 1on1 and then go to Reach test and scan your IDs . That means you are 80% in.

some important tips
    1. Dresses 100% or 120% like a FA.,from head to foot. This is how you presenting your self . Very important .
    2. Do researches . Practice questions like 100% you are in the interview. Show your customer service professional skills as much as you can.( past experiences examples highly preferred . I even watched tons of FA you tubers video and some other customer filed youtuber videos . Great help!
    3. Be confident and smile properly . Be flexible to do questions.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

Face to face interview. Group interview, getting to know each other, then small group interview, three questions, two are the same for everyone, and one is random. Then one-on-one interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at American Airlines (Dallas, TX).

Interview

First you do a assessment that is multiple choice on what kind of person you are and how you would handle certain situations. If you pass that, you do an online video interview with 5 questions. If you get through that, you are invited to a group interview. It is very rushed. You do a small activity with a group where you have a fun fact about yourself and people have to guess which fact belongs to who. Try to be the person who presents, they like to see people taking charge and not being afraid to talk in front of others. After the activity, they do the group interview where you are asked 1) say a little about yourself 2) describe a time at work where a customer wasn't happy, how did you handle the situation 3) this question was randomly picked and you had to stand up to read it and answer it. the question I got was tell us about your most recent travel experience. After the group interview, you are brought back to the room with everyone and go through a power point about American and about working at American. After this you are either walked out or brought to an individual interview (they lie and say there are no individuals taking place). If you don't get the individual, you will receive an email within the next few days saying you didn't get the job. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• Describe your self and tell us why you want to be a flight attendant.   Answer Question