Boston Consulting Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017
1,210 Interview Reviews

3.7

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

I submitted my resume, cover letter, and answered some short answer questions (e.g. describe your proudest accomplishments; describe a time you had to assume a leadership position) through their online application portal. I was invited to interview a few weeks later. To help prepare for the interview, BCG offered webinars and one-on-one mock interviews with current consultants. The first-round interview day was well-organized and ran smoothly. All candidates interviewing around the same time waited together in a room where there was coffee, tea, and snacks, as well as other consultants to chat with. We were all given little notecards with bios of our two interviewers and information regarding next steps. Both of the interviews involved a set of fit questions and a case. Depending on the interviewer, the fit portion can be more conversational or feel like you are just answering a list of separate questions. Both of the cases were as expected--challenging and with a few complicated charts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a teammate or someone you were leading who was underperforming.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

applied through summer program, first round got two case interviews with fit. flew by very quickly. about 10minutes on fit and rest on case. very conversational in nature. i talked through a lot of my though processes and my interviewer helped guide me through which avenues to explore.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Boston, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

Standard first round: 2 45-min interviews.
    Each starts with a personal experience interview where they ask you questions based off of your resume. Then you proceed into a case that your interviewer has selected...which seems to usually be in an area that they have worked or know well. Lastly, they ask you if you have any questions for them.
    I have not heard if I have a second round interview yet.

Interview Questions

• When beginning a new job, was this ever unstructured and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Two interviews back-to-back: 10 minutes of fit, then about 30 minutes for the case, then 5 minutes of Q&A. No solid time-keeping from interviewers. Cases involve chart-reading and require knowledge of business concepts.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone to change course. 2) Tell me about a time when someone challenged your authority.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The process was very smooth and everyone there was professional. I interacted with two interviewers and one recruiting assistant. Received rejection letter in 2 business days. They were able to give me some feedback over the phone afterwards and that was very helpful.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Oh wow...where to begin? First of all, I was contacted for an initial phone interview. I rearranged my schedule to have this phone interview. After waiting on the phone (I had to dial into a number), I received an email that they needed to reschedule to the next business day (Reschedule #1) . The next business day, in the morning, I again rearranged my schedule to have this call, and minutes before the call they asked to move the call to the end of the day (Reschedule #2). Come the end of the day, again after rearranging everything to have this call, I get an email that they mistakenly meant the next day instead of today for this rescheduled call, so the call would have to be moved to the next day (Reschedule #3). At this point I'm very frustrated and can't afford to keep arranging my schedule for all of thsee call attemps. Honestly, of this was any other company, I wouldn't have even continued with the process after all the rescheduling.

Finally, we had our call and on the call she asked that if I had any other jobs that were moving along faster than this one that I would be transparent and let them know. She said she would send me an email requesting writing samples. Days later I received this email, only after letting her know that I was expecting an offer from another company. Days later after sending in my writing samples I got a generic rejection.

I'd wish that if they're asking me to let them know we need to move the process that they'd also understand I need to be kept in the loop as well, instead of just receiving a generic rejection days later.

After this experience, I wouldn't apply here again in the future or recommend that anyone else does.

Interview Questions

• What skills from your previous post ions make you a good fit?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

initial phone interview, followed by an 8 hour task to analyze a data set and report findings during the next webex interview.

The problem is that BCG does not respect your time during this process. First, the dataset provided had no 'solution'. They asked me to predict an outcome when the training data showed in every way that it was a randomly selected subset. Second, after providing a technical explanation of the work I did on the data set I was informed that they were simply testing me on presentation skills. I found that the interviewer is likely not interested in critical thinking or problem solving talent. Further, the interviewer refused to provide me with any insight into the data set I was tested with. That shows little respect for my time.
    In short, don't waste your time unless you really want to work with these guys. I don't. I'll stick with real Science!

Interview Questions

• Business knowledge and experience. Everything surrounded how well I would fit there line of thinking.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group.

Interview

Initial phone call first, then one on one interview, and then called back for a more relaxed getting to know you interview. Amazing experience even though I was denied. BCG is a fantastic company and anyone would be lucky to work there.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me how you are able to stay organized in a hectic environment?   Answer Question

Presentation Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

The interview process was a month-long process speaking with many different people. The overall experience was very professional, and the interviewers are nice and understanding. I went through a about five interviews.

The first two interviews were on the phone and the conversation was mainly what we were both looking for and questions about the company. From there, the interviews moved to interviewers in my department. It is with these interviews you need to prepare for. The third interview was meeting my manager and she asked basic interview questions. The fourth interview they test you on how you handle different situations. Be prepared for anything they throw at you. If you are an experienced designer then you will have no problem.

All in all, it was a very thorough process, but I enjoyed it because it felt like they care about who they hire. It said a lot about the standards of BCG.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself.   1 Answer

Mobile Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Boston Consulting Group (Atlanta, GA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview consisted of 6 calls with various direct and tangent contacts to the role. The process lasted over a series of 17 days and to 3 hours time. I feel that their process is a little onerous for persons that already have a full time job. The process spread over weeks and I need to reach out to them to get feedback about their decision. The conversations went well and ended each round with good feeling about my skills and fit but did not move forward to the final round with upper management.

Interview Questions

• What trends are you seeing in the mobile space related to EMM?   Answer Question