Electronic Arts Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Electronic Arts Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.8

Executive Assistant Interview

Interview

Simple process including pre screening phone calls then in person interview. Phone interviews were anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes and were with a few different people from office all over. They set up interviews via email and confirm which is nice as well as give you all the information on who will be interviewing you and what they will interviewing you about which helps you prepare.

Event Coordinator - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Redwood City, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

EA has a great interview process and it went smoothly. I was applying for a part-time contract job, which was a new role for their department, and although I know I had more than enough experience, they were looking for hospitality experience specifically. It started with a phone interview and I was asked to interview in person after, which took about an hour and overall it was pretty casual.

Sourcing Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Had a recruiter reaching out to set up a phone interview with recruiting manager. The intrrview went well. Did not receive any follow-up email. Followed-up twice with recruiter and once with hiring manager with no answer.

3D Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Redwood City, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Apply on website, get the email after a day to arrange 30 min phone call with recruiter. Recruiter is really nice. After a week, got other appointment with team phone call with art director and one technical artist. Ask a lot technical question and favorite game.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied online via the EA website. About a week later, I got an email requesting a phone interview. In that interview with a hiring manager, we discussed my educational, career, and research history, mostly background stuff, very light. Hiring manager was very kind and responsive.

Following that, about a week later, I had a technical phone interview where I coded in a shared document. General questions relates to different data types, followed by an implementation of a cpp datatype conversion algorithm. Wasn't too challenging, and the interviewer walked me through a couple critiques and the problem itself.

A couple weeks past without response, but fortunately ended with a request for an on-site interview. I met with them a couple days later, had a series of interviews with engineers that I would be working with, both technical and personality interviews, lasting about 5-6 hours in all. I coded on a white board in response to general algorithm questions, mostly pseudo code. Nothing too difficult, and all very interesting and honestly kind of fun. Interviewers were kind and assisted in guiding towards the right solution.

A couple days later, I got an offer and accepted.

Interview Questions

• (Phone interview) Signed an NDA, so no specifics, but I was asked about how I would convert from one datatype to another datatype efficiently.   Answer Question
    • (On-site interview) Signed an NDA, so no specifics, but I was asked about how I would implement a couple algorithms that acted on various cpp data types. Also general algorithm problems related to social media tasks.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Electronic Arts.

Interview

A Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn. and we hopped on a call to discuss the opportunity in depth. The call went well, so then he set me up for a 30 minute phone interview. Before this interview, I asked the Recruiter for a job description, and he said that they didn't have one set up yet, which I thought was odd, but I went with it anyways. I moved forward with the phone interview, which also went well, and my interviewer sent me a personal email saying that he endorsed me for the role.

A week passed by, so I followed up to see what the next steps were. The Recruiter updated me by saying that there was a temporary hold on the role due to internal changes...

Advice to the team: Please be more respectful of your candidate's time by having a solidified plan (including an available job description) before reaching out.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Redwood Shores, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I met with the recruiter first who gave me a tour of the campus then was put into an uncomfortably warm room and spent an hour with several pairs of people. They would tag team questions and some were very probing with their questions and seemed to care about finding the right fit while others just wanted you to jump through technical hoops. One of the engineers, in particular, had a pretty negative attitude and had this strange habit of saying "no, I expected this answer" and then stating something very similar to my answer as though he wasn't really listening. That bit was frustrating but most of the interviews were pretty straightforward. If you've been working on large AAA projects recently then there was no gotcha questions.

Interview Questions

• Using just basic vector math, rotate on vector around another.   1 Answer

Interview

Applied through job portal and got call from HR after a week. Then I had 1 technical interview on the phone with the development director and HR confirmed the offer the next day. Offer letter was sent the following week.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Electronic Arts (Baton Rouge, LA) in June 2017.

Interview

I received a call about a day or two after applying online. It was very laid back as the recruiter went through a questionnaire with me that included questions about my video game preferences, reason for applying, and informed me on what a tester does. We scheduled a date for an interview after.

The interview was also laid back, the questions were more involved though. It was panel style with two of the project leads. Most of the questions were about theoretical testing situations and how I would handle them, other questions were about how I would handle real life situations (how to handle an argument with coworkers etc.). The two guys were pretty relaxed so that helped me relax a little too. They were pretty nice and I had an overall positive experience during the interview and tour at the end.

Interview Questions

• What's a bug that you remember encountering in a game?   Answer Question
    • Let's say that you got a game to test on PC, consoles, and on mobile phone, what ways would you test these 3 platforms differently from another? As in how would you test the PC build differently from the console and mobile build and so on.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Electronic Arts in June 2017.

Interview

I applied online in early May and received an email from a recruiter in mid-June 2017. After the recruiter phone screening, I had two phone interviews with two different hiring managers (there were two open positions for which I was considered).

From the moment I first heard from the recruiter via email, I started sensing red flags. Firstly, when the recruiter first emailed me to arrange for a phone screening, her emails (we had to go back and forth to set a time) were curt to the point of being rude. I brushed this off as merely a difference in communication styles. However, during the phone screening itself, I was again given red flags when she could not even answer basic HR questions about working for EA. For example, "what kind of insurance do you offer, and is there a waiting period?" These are fundamental decision-making questions that recruiters should know. However, I kept telling myself to give it a chance, because maybe she was just new or something.

Then, the next big red flag came a week later during the first phone interview with the hiring manager. The recruiter never got back to me when I told her my availability for phone interviews, yet she scheduled an interview for me without telling me! So, randomly in the middle of the workday, I missed the interview call from the hiring manager. Apparently, she told him about the interview but never bothered to tell me, the candidate, when the interview was scheduled for!

I reached out to both the hiring manager and the recruiter immediately, but I felt like she had already placed me in such a bad situation that, even though it was her fault, there is no way the hiring manager wouldn't look unfavorably on me for it. The recruiter was very apologetic and said, "sorry, I just forgot to tell you I set up an interview." I'm sorry, but how does this happen?! Missing an interview that I never knew existed made me look so bad to that hiring manager.

She went on to say, "well things like this are common at EA. Let's just reschedule you and I promise I won't forget to tell you about the interview this time." Now, I am very understanding when it comes to occasional slips in communication, but the way she said this "happens all the time" gave me a very negative impression of communication at EA.

Finally, she successfully scheduled me for phone interviews with both of the hiring managers. I don't want to say that either of them necessarily gave me red flags, per say, but I did not get a good feeling about the organizational culture. Both managers struck me as very cold and unfeeling. I don't necessarily care about having a warm and fuzzy manager, BUT at the same time I want to know that my manager cares about me as a human and isn't going to take advantage of my strong work ethic. I will say, I was appreciative that one of the managers was very candid about expecting 60-hour work weeks from his team.

I'm not necessarily saying that the culture feel I got from both managers was necessarily bad, but it was definitely a bad fit for me personally. I value work-life balance and want a manager who doesn't just view me as a workhorse churning out reports.

Even if I had progressed to later rounds in the interview process, based on everything I mentioned above, there is no way I would have accepted this role at EA, for any amount of money.

Interview Questions

• Pick a statistical model and explain to me what it does, as well as assumptions it makes, and how you measure its goodness of fit.

Also, a smattering of SQL questions.   Answer Question