Family Dollar Stores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2018

1.9

Performance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Long process..dragged on for 10 weeks..HAd to meet with RVP, LP HR and a phone interview with the GVP. Combination of face to face and phone screens/ received offer from recruiter. They act as if they are hiring you for CEO position. Overall process was grueling because of the amount of time it took before offer was extended.

Interview Questions

• Usual management type questions..Discuss your management style...describe a time when...Shrink   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation..they present an offer,,you either accept or decline

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Houston, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

From what I remember from the interview it was short and sweet, I was greeted by a floor full of U-Boats... So from that i made my point. i see you have a lot of work I can help out a lot! lol

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Harvey, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Harvey, IL) in December 2012.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews, with 3 different managers at 3 different stores. The interviews were easy, not many questions, it was more of them telling you what they expect. I can promise by the 3rd interview I knew exactly what they expected. Anywho, I'd been passed around by the DM and it was definitely a process, but the deal is sealed. I only have some paperwork to do and transfer from the store I intentionally was supposed to work...

Interview Questions

• What can you do to help me at this store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay rate. As I was making 12.50 at my old job I was told to take no less than 10

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Raleigh, NC) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied on-line, had an interview two days later. I met with a store manager who had not seemed to have ever done an interview. I am a very seasoned store manager, so I just started stating questions and answering them.. He loosened up and said he sure could use my help, but I was so qualified that I would get a store manager position instead of an assistant. He also offered information about a store manager who was recently punched in the face by a customer and wanted to be demoted. The next day he called and I was scheduled to meet the DM the following day. She was 40 MINUTES LATE!!!!! When she finally got there I had to leave to go to my current place of employment. She asked me to stay 5 more minutes and she told me another person would call me. Oh, she also said "We just need someone who can work 70 hours a week for a couple months and then go to normal hours once things are under control". The following week another person (title unknown) called and did a phone interview and said how perfect I would be and the DM would call me really soon. She did and left a message about a drug test and some other rambling. I called her back and then her cell phone hung up on me and she called back and it happened again and again. I said screw it and waited a couple hours and left her a message. No call back. Two days later I left another message, no call back. Finally I called the second person who interviewed me and told him I wasn't getting a response from the DM he said he'd look into it and call me back. Three days later, no call from either of them and I have come to my senses about this piece of dirt company. Obviously they changed their mind or something, but seriously how rude! Plus I went to the store two more times and every time it is like a flash rob scene. Like other interviewees I also got the shpeel about extensive internal theft.

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2010.

Interview

I applied online through family dollar's website. There was a very extensive section of personality/work ethic questions and a math problem section. A manager called me the next day from a store that was somewhat close, but one that I didn't select. He asked me to come in for an interview as soon as I could, and I went in a few days later. At the interview, he simply reviewed my application and resume, and asked me when I could work. He said he couldn't offer me the assistant manager position at that time, but said I could start the next day as a store associate/cashier for 8.50/hr. He had me fill out some forms online at the store and do a drug test, and I started the next day.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Richmond, IN) in August 2008.

Interview

The hiring personnel were interviewing in a dirty store at a card table without any privacy in the storeroom of the retail store. I felt my age and my gender was a determining factor in not being tendered an offer. I also feel that my military service and disability also affected my opportunity. I believe they were looking for a young lady to be an assistant to a female manager in a store that was obviously sub-par in cleanliness and customer service. The "good ole boys club" was primarily populated with estrogen, even though the District Manager was male.

Interview Questions

• What are my 5 years goals?   1 Answer
    • Why am I applying for a position at this store?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Quincy, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Quincy, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

store manager was just promoted, had no clue how to conduct the hiring process, the questions he was supposed to ask me he just told me to fill in the blanks,he asked me nothing,told me nothing, then said i was fired when i couldnt start when he wanted me to. he def needs to be trained for the store manager position

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Louisville, KY) in May 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received an email for a phone interview, did a phone interview with district manager. Went in that day for 1:1 interview. Did drug test. Very easy and laid back.

Interview Questions

• Do you mind working truck?   1 Answer
    • Can you work nights, weekends, holidays?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores (Tucson, AZ) in October 2011.

Interview

I live in a small town about 30 minutes outside of Tucson, Az. I had taken a break from retail management & tried to get used to not working but I couldn't handle staying home. I was in my neighborhood Family Dollar & inquired if they were hiring extra people for Christmas. The associate said no but immediately shared they had an opening for an Assistant Store Manager. This was perfect for me, perfect area, perfect smaller size stores. I spoke to the store manager & inquired with her directly & shared my interest in the position & my qualifications. She told me to apply online & I did. No soon after did i get a call from the Store Manager inviting me to an interview. My interview went great, I took a drug test & called the store 3 days later. The manager had great news & said I would be hearing from the DM shortly.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Family Dollar Stores in August 2013.

Interview

I was sent to a location where the interview was conducted
     They questioned my flexibility and integrity etc etc. How capable i was of doing the job etc etc. Interview went well. I got the position of assistant store manager. Not happy with senior management. Need to do more to improve efficiency in stores.