Fastenal Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Fastenal

2.2

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Sanford, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fastenal (Sanford, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

They will call you in for interview after you take a drug test and you will speak to that areas district manager. He will then ask you a list of questions and watch how you react to them.

Interview Questions

• what interests you to fastenal? what are your career goals? who was your previous employer and why are you leaving? What would you like from this company to do for you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in North Haven, CT

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (North Haven, CT) in October 2015.

Interview

Initial meeting was very short with store manager then moved to second interview with District Manager. A bit more detailed during the second round, overall descent experience.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Dallas, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

a scripted interview, very mechanical, not very much room for improvisation, expected rehearsed and standard interview answers. Met with two managers in an office there were appx 15 questions. The interview took appx 30 minutes. I was passed on to the next interview. It is a three stage process.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and took an online test that lasted over an hour. Received a phone call to interview with the district manager and store's general manager.

Interview Questions

• How do you see this company overtaking the competition?   Answer Question

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fastenal in November 2007.

Interview

First I interviewed with the District Manager for about 20 minutes. the interview was fairly casual and I did not feel that any of the questions we especially difficult. They asked the usual questions like Why do you want to work for Fastenal? Give an example of a situation when you showed excellent customer service skills. What is your 5 year plan and do you want to move up in the company.

I then met with the general manager of the location I would be working at. This was even more casual. This was more of a meet and greet in which he more or less told me what the job was like. No real hard questions were asked.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fastenal (Kansas, IL) in July 2008.

Interview

My interview consisted of the your basic google search "interview questions" and by the book straight down the line. This isn't a rocket science job. You will be suprised by how much money this company makes, and cuts you an eany meany pile a crap piece. You will hate it. Check out the turnover rate when you get a chance.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal what would it be?   1 Answer
    • What issues did you have with a previous employer, how was it handled.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, go elsewhere. You will be kicking yourself in 4 months when you really begin to realize how frugile and cheap this company really is.

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fastenal (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2010.

Interview

Standard interview questions. Strengths, Weeknesses, where do you see yourself in 5 years, what do you know about fastenal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Fastenal (Sterling, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

In February I submitted my resume to fastenals website and about three days later received an email from Tim Cavanaugh at the Sterling store asking to meet with me. I responded yes and was enthused about the opportunity. A couple days later I met with him and had an informal interview for about an hour. He seemed like a decent enough person and got the impressions that I could work well with him. He told me that they might be calling me and would let me know soon whether I had a second interview with a district manager.
    I drove home about 15 minutes and when I checked my email there was a request to meet with the DM on Monday. I went to meet with John the DM on Monday and interviewed for approximately an hour. He told me that I would be working on establishing accounts in the Dixon area and that he expected we could get about 40% growth within twelve months. I told him that I researched fastenals product line and pricing and questioned the ability of any sales rep to overcome the far higher prices they had in comparison to other suppliers or hardware stores. He told me that they sell the servicing of a customers inventory and that it would be my responsibility to ensure that existing or new accounts were being monitored closely. In my opinion and based on the current economic conditions finding companies that were willing to pay higher prices for fastenals service in the Dixon area and accomplish a 40% growth margin within twelve months was fantasy or John trying to sell me on the job opening. After that we started to discuss compensation and that is where the fantasy and reality were very far apart. I was told I would be paid a base salary of $2,000 per month and if I grew their accounts in dixon at the rate John had proposed I could potentially make another $900 per month for a grand total of $34, 800 per year. I live in a modest home and am a very conservative spender and thought they were insane. If you have a mortgage, car payments, and so on there is no way this position could support most people unless you live in your car. John asked how I felt about the salary as I bid my farewell to him and I responded with I would have to get back to him after I ran some numbers.
    Obviously I never called back. For a kid in college this could be a great opportunity but for an established man like myself this would barely pay the bills.
    Also beware that they will stress relocation to a possible new store in the future if you want to work with them.
    After the interview I landed a real job paying a base of $50,000 a year with bonus commission, fuel allowance, 401K, good insurance, cell phone paid all of which Fastenal did not offer.
    The owners of this company are obviously getting rich off the backs of their employees.
    Steer clear of Fastenal if you are looking for a decent wage and realistic goals set for you.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer followed a list of questions he had printed out   Answer Question

Lack of pay, apparent dishonesty, fictitious goals

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Interview

The interview process was in two steps. First was with the GM and then with the GM and DM. Both were very laid back. I overdressed but I would still recommend this. Very easy going straight forward questions.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fastenal.

Interview

Very easy going interview process. A conversational interview is what I had. Mostly talking about what I feel sales and services was and how the two were related. Basic questions as to where you worked previously and what you did there.