Google Engineering Practicum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Engineering Practicum Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

2.9

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google in October 2018.

Interview

two back-to-back 45 min phone interviews with google doc

Timeline:
Offer-Nov 7
Potential Project Identified-Dec 18
30-min Host Matching Interview-Dec 21
Team Matched-Jan 3

Interview Questions

• String manipulation/array qs; leetcode easy level problems   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Two tech-based interviews, one hour each. The interviews required to know basic algorithms and data structures but you need to know them well in order to be able to tackle the questions. Binary Search Trees, Arrays, Sorting algorithms... the implementation of these and their time complexities are essential.

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I applied to attend the ACM Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing. Part of the application is submission of a résumé. A few days after I submitted my résumé, I found I could not attend the conference. However, a few months later, I got an email from a Google Recruiter encouraging me to apply to the Engineering Practicum Internship whose application was due three days later. I quickly jotted some responses to the essay questions, assuming I would not be selected for further consideration. A few days later, I got an email asking when I'd be available for an interview. There were two back-to-back 45 minute technical interviews. Part of the interview process is signing a non-disclosure agreement which prohibits discussing details of the actual interviews. A week later, I was asked to submit a transcript, and verify that I was eligible to work in the United States. The next day, my recruited called to offer me a position and walked me through the steps to accept it.

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Interview

I applied in October and was contacted in November notifying me that I would have back to back 45 minute phone interviews. I had the interviews in November. About a week after the interviews, I received an email saying that I was moved to the hiring committee. Almost a month later, I had to contact my recruiter because I had not heard anything. The next day, I received a call from my recruiter saying I had received an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was about object oriented design. It was hard to come up with a sensible design under pressure with not much time.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was satisfied with my salary and did not negotiate.

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in December 2014.

Interview

A Google recruiter visited my school and talked about some of the internships offered--engineering practicum was one of them. I applied online, got an email for an interview and scheduled it accordingly (interview scheduling is 3-4 weeks from email). I can't talk in great detail about the questions but they do tailor it to your level. They're two back to back interviews (~45 min each), if you're a freshmen one will be semi-technical and the other technical, if you're a sophomore then both are technical. Make sure to know your data structures for sure if you've learned them. You code on a Google doc that they set up for you, so practice doing coding questions on a whiteboard but also typing them down in a document as well. The interviewers were very nice, especially my first one. This was my first technical interview too, if that helps.

Interview Questions

• There was a question that I couldn't have possibly have prepared for beforehand, but tested my ability to learn and get down fundamentals. Don't try to memorize answers, but make sure you fully understand the things that you learn.   Answer Question

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online early October, and got selected for two phone interviews a week later or so. I provided them with dates I was available to interview, but didn't hear back from them. The day before my last requested interview date, I emailed my recruiter to ask if they were still scheduling me an interview, and they asked if I could do it the next day. So my back-to-back interviews came as a bit of a surprise. I was told that my first interview would address my resume and projects I've done in the past. Instead, I got a coding question that threw me off a bit. The second interview was also coding, and the interviewer was pleasant to ask questions to.

In late November, however, I was notified that Google wanted me to do a third interview because they were missing some information. So I interviewed a third time a week later, which had a superb interviewer who tailored to my level. I progressed to the hiring committee (probably the most anxiety-provoking part), and got an offer the day coming back from winter break.

Interview Questions

• Can't disclose them, but Google provides applicants with some resources to practice beforehand that are pretty helpful.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't even try to negotiate

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online and 3 weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter that they would like to interview me. The interviews where 2 phone interviews of 45 mins each with a shared Google doc to be used as white board for the coding questions. Remember to buy a headset to facilitate the coding part while talking on the phone

Interview Questions

• Signed a NDA so I can't really reveal the questions. Just remember that HashMaps exist and they have O(1) lookup time. They were all algorithm design questions. No behavioral questions or chatting. Both of my interviewers went straight to the point and started the coding questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

You first submit your application online. You do have to write three short essays. If you are selected from there, there are 2 back to back technical phone interviews. They will be with google engineers, and you will have to code in google docs that both you and your interviewer will see. It's not too bad, just try not to get nervous and flustered like me.

Interview Questions

• They were similar to problems found in cracking the coding interview, which is a great resource to prepare.   1 Answer

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in December 2014.

Interview

I submitted an application (essays + resume + transcript), got a phone interview (2, 45 minute interviews), and then was sent to the hiring committee for review. I was interviewed by software engineers and assisted through the process with a recruiter who was awesome. Overall, everyone was very encouraging and kind, even when I did not get a final offer. Very impressed with the interview process overall.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, so I can't mention specific questions asked, but the interview covered reading/interpreting code, theoretical algorithm questions, and writing code. What you will find online is pretty representative of the interview questions. Also, your recruiter will send you a powerpoint presentation with topics to study.   Answer Question

Engineering Practicum Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google in November 2014.

Interview

Two 45-minute technical phone interviews, using google docs as the whiteboard. The first interviewer was more helpful, but both were polite and friendly. The first one asked a couple questions about my resume, but they focused mostly on the actual technical questions. The interviews were back to back, so the process was a little tiring. It was a decent experience for someone who hasn't done many technical interviews before, and they got back to me quickly about a decision.

Interview Questions

• Go through a sorted list and print the integers 0-99 that are missing from it   2 Answers
    • Convert a decimal integer to hex   2 Answers