Google Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Program Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Google

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Google (San Jose, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I met with 6 interviews as well as the recruiter that was sherparding me around on Google campus. Was asked a variety of excersises to design different service offerings or how to determine if a change in an existing service should be analyzed for potential deployment. Overall the folks I met during this loop were not particularly impressive.

Interview went well but I came away with the impression that they were only interested in folks with heavy focus on the advertising space. Also felt that they were very focused on my age and that was a major factor in not being made an offer. Interstingly at some point their internal systems were set to move forward with an offer because I was sent a questionaire asking why I had declined the offer and how it could have been improved.

I definitely came away enjoying the process and would have been interested in exploring an offer if one had been made.

Interview Questions

• If a change in a product made Google less money over all and even would reduce the revenue of partners but might save money for the consumers should Google still do it?   5 Answers
  • Calculate the value of adding adds to a previously ad free web property.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

The first two phone interviews went well, took 4 weeks. I was later called for an onsite interview. This was a program manager position, something I have done was years. Two people interviewed, one was some engineeing project manager, the other was an architect of some sort. The engineering project manager was very arrogant from the start, he was asking questions in the name of testing the edge of my knowledge, however except a few questions, many were irrelevant to the job for which I was being interviewed. He wouldn't let me think or finish my answers and asked questions that can be easily answered by looking up a manual or help available in software packages. The second technical interview was much better and I thought I did well. I got a mail saying I di n't make it. The inside of the offices didn't look very exciting or anything. I didn't see dogs or snakes or other pets. My current company which is bigger than Google and Microsoft and competes with Google in the cellphone space seemed like a much more practical and friendlier place to work for. I would rather go fulltime with my current company. I do not think I will ever interview with Google again. I recommend interviewees don't get discouraged if you are not selected.

Interview Questions

• Not many difficult questions, but the interviewer woukd not let you think and answer.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with recruiter then had 30 interview with hiring manager

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

1. Recruiter screener (contractor): Pleasant, straight forward and helpful in providing next steps. Also provided context guidance which was also straight forward. To prepare to explain in detail how managed a couple of key projects. How handle obstacles and measure success.
    2. Next level mixed. Pleasant but rushed. I had read here in Glassdoor that they don't give you time to think and it's true.

Interview Questions

• Asked about process for sensitive confidential work.   Answer Question
    • This is more about advice: There is a lot of info on how to prepare for a Google interview. DON'T overdo it. Stay focused on a couple of deep examples. Don't offer solutions. They are looking for informed decisions based on data and if you have a lot of experience at another company you might fall into the non-Googly trap with your suggestions and this is a definite show stopper.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Google recruiters are the toughest part of the process, because they are so slow in their communications. YOu have to pursue THEM, it's almost a test to see how much you want the job. The interviews themselves are difficult; they want to make sure you can think critically.

Interview Questions

• Creating efficienies - what are efficiencies, and what would you do in this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

They reached out to me through a cold call for a Program Management role in their HR group. The role was based on making internal improvements to their processes in the ERP. Their culture was open and fun, but hard working. Many employees were still there when I checked to make sure of directions the night before at 8 PM.

Interview Questions

• Estimate how much money we make on click through advertising.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

4 interviews; 2 hiring committees; sign off from CEO

Interview Questions

• Give 3 examples of how you would improve this program.   2 Answers

Negotiation

I didn't feel that negotiation was even an option.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Horrible experience interviewing at Google. Whole process took 3 months. Recruiter would always call late or forget to call entirely. Had two phone screens and a round of on-site interviews.

Overall, it seems like the whole interview process at Google needs to fixed and everyone (recruiter, interviewers, hiring committee) need to be held accountable for getting things done on time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

The whole process took about 9 months. I interviewed with a three people in the group the position was with and got very good feedback--except that they couldn't make me an offer because I was 9 months away from my graduation date. I kept in touch with the recruited and after about 7 months got an invitation for another round of interviews. Again, I got great feedback from the recruiter but no response from her until about 6 weeks later she told me the job was offered to someone else.

The interviews themselves were very straightforward and mostly behavior. They definitely want to know if you are a fit for the company and the position. Expect to interview with people in your future team and with their business partners as well. The second round may include some casing, but those are short and simple. What matters most is how much you know about the company, the business of Google, and how well you fit with their culture.

Interview Questions

• A case on what is the size of the domestic market for cell phones.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

The interview went well and the team and job seemed like a great fit for me. Recruiter kept in touch through the first week and through my on-site interview, but after my last phone interview, I have not heard anything either way. Google recruiters were handling it so well but have not contacted me either way after the last phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain how a project in the Telecommunications industry is similar to the Software industry.   1 Answer