Google New Grad Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.5

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via email. First phone call was an informal conversation with the recruiter regarding the position and advice for doing well. Following that I received a technical coding challenge. A week later, I received a call saying they stopped hiring for the role.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

I got an email from recruiter to take a coding challenge and survey. It is better to get used to hacker rank environment. Coding challenge was for 60 min with 2 programs.

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Google phone interview. Got a phone call then use a shared google doc to code. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. The interviewer asked my publication first, then asked an algorithm question that how to find the longest path in a travel flights path which is a directed acyclic graphic.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest path in a travel flights path which is a directed acyclic graphic   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

1. 15 mins HR call - This usually contains a chat about background and the HR explains how the interview process will be
    2. Online Hacker rank Test (Pretty Easy) - Has 2 questions to be solved in an hour
    3. Technical Phone Interview - This is upto the interviewer allocated to you. Sometimes they are very cooperative. Mine was a little uptight and did not acknowledge my conversation

Interview Questions

• 1. HR Round was about background and projects and experience
      2. Technical Phone Interview was a twisted coding question   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was pleasant, but the questions were hard, even my interviewer said he doesn't like the solution that Google provided him with. I had fun talking to my interviewer and I thought I did great, but it seems like there's still room for me to improve.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I had a Google chat interview with video on and then a google doc to code in. My interviewer had been working at google for 10 years, which I really appreciated since he knew what he was doing and had clearly interviewed people before. He was a great interviewer! We talked things through in the interview and got along great. He wasn't a know-it-all like I've experienced in a lot of tech interviews. If I answered it and it was slightly off he would simply tell me what might happen and why it wouldn't be ideal.

Interview Questions

• If you had a list of countries and their population, create a random generator that picks a country but takes into consideration the population. So a country with a higher population has a higher chance of being chosen.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I talked with a recruiter on campus and he had me apply on the website. Shortly after applying, I received a message from a recruiter with a link to a coding challenge. After getting past the coding challenge, the recruiter contacted me again explaining the interview process and we set up a 45 minute phone interview with an engineer. Nerves got the best of me and I made too many mistakes so I didn't get past the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest challenge that you've faced so far?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

A quick online coding test, followed by an email to get my background and set up a phone interview. Did the phone interview and was contacted a few days later that they wanted me to come in for onsite interviews. After several calls setting up the interview and describing the process, I was flown to San Jose and had a series of four 45-minute interviews. Google paid for all travel expenses and meals. I felt like I did well on three of the interviews but bombed the last. It didn't help that there was a shadow interviewer present.

Interview Questions

• Each interview had one or more questions in a different area. For me, the interviews were broken up into questions about algorithms, design, bit manipulation, and operating systems.   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

Recruiter emailed 4 days after I applied to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview happened a week and a half later (November 7). Phone interview consisted of coding on a blank google doc for the question of: given an array of n integers, check if the array has two nearby duplicate numbers (meaning if a [2] = 3, Then check if 3 occurs at most two positions after. Started with brute force approach and it took a long time and with hints to get the program to run in O (n) time with Dictionary. Used c#.

Interview Questions

• given an array of n integers, check if the array has two nearby duplicate numbers (meaning if a [2] = 3, Then check if 3 occurs at most two positions after.   3 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Coding Challenge/Personality Test: two problems that are timed. one of them was a fairly easy array problem, second problem was a little tricky (also consisted of arrays and searching through a "file")

Phone Interview: 45minute technical phone interview. Started off with an combination/permutation problem.

Still waiting to hear back... (been a week)

Interview Questions

• Given 3 coins of different values, print all the sums of the coins up to 1000. Must be printed in order.

ex: coins(10, 15, 55)