Google New Grad Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google New Grad Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.5

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

I got an email from recruiter to take a coding challenge and survey. It is better to get used to hacker rank environment. Coding challenge was for 60 min with 2 programs.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (San Bruno, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Google phone interview. Got a phone call then use a shared google doc to code. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. The interviewer asked my publication first, then asked an algorithm question that how to find the longest path in a travel flights path which is a directed acyclic graphic.

Interview Questions

• Find the longest path in a travel flights path which is a directed acyclic graphic   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

1. 15 mins HR call - This usually contains a chat about background and the HR explains how the interview process will be
    2. Online Hacker rank Test (Pretty Easy) - Has 2 questions to be solved in an hour
    3. Technical Phone Interview - This is upto the interviewer allocated to you. Sometimes they are very cooperative. Mine was a little uptight and did not acknowledge my conversation

Interview Questions

• 1. HR Round was about background and projects and experience
      2. Technical Phone Interview was a twisted coding question
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

I had a Google chat interview with video on and then a google doc to code in. My interviewer had been working at google for 10 years, which I really appreciated since he knew what he was doing and had clearly interviewed people before. He was a great interviewer! We talked things through in the interview and got along great. He wasn't a know-it-all like I've experienced in a lot of tech interviews. If I answered it and it was slightly off he would simply tell me what might happen and why it wouldn't be ideal.

Interview Questions

• If you had a list of countries and their population, create a random generator that picks a country but takes into consideration the population. So a country with a higher population has a higher chance of being chosen.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I talked with a recruiter on campus and he had me apply on the website. Shortly after applying, I received a message from a recruiter with a link to a coding challenge. After getting past the coding challenge, the recruiter contacted me again explaining the interview process and we set up a 45 minute phone interview with an engineer. Nerves got the best of me and I made too many mistakes so I didn't get past the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest challenge that you've faced so far?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

Recruiter emailed 4 days after I applied to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview happened a week and a half later (November 7). Phone interview consisted of coding on a blank google doc for the question of: given an array of n integers, check if the array has two nearby duplicate numbers (meaning if a [2] = 3, Then check if 3 occurs at most two positions after. Started with brute force approach and it took a long time and with hints to get the program to run in O (n) time with Dictionary. Used c#.

Interview Questions

• given an array of n integers, check if the array has two nearby duplicate numbers (meaning if a [2] = 3, Then check if 3 occurs at most two positions after.   3 Answers

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Coding Challenge/Personality Test: two problems that are timed. one of them was a fairly easy array problem, second problem was a little tricky (also consisted of arrays and searching through a "file")

Phone Interview: 45minute technical phone interview. Started off with an combination/permutation problem.

Still waiting to hear back... (been a week)

Interview Questions

• Given 3 coins of different values, print all the sums of the coins up to 1000. Must be printed in order.

ex: coins(10, 15, 55)
      2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied via a referral. A couple days after applying got an email that had a two online coding questions plus a small survey. The coding questions were pretty simple. Got a call from a recruiter to setup a phone interview with an engineer. Got a call later from the recruiter saying they weren't going to move forward with the hiring process.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I interviewed at Google in September 2016.

Interview

There was an initial HR call describing the whole process of interviewing.
    First Round - Coding challenge with two questions to be solved in one hour. Level of questions was a bit tough.
    Second round - Phone interview with an engineer. She asked me two coding questions and some background information related to my projects.

Interview Questions

• 1. Optimal minimum cost problem
      2. Given an array of n+1 integers in the range of 1..n, return a single duplicate element present in the array.
      1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn and was asked to apply online. The recruiter was really nice and we set up a brief screening phone interview where I was told about the position and was informed of what the upcoming interview process would be like. After that I had a week to schedule a time to do an online code test. There were maybe three different problems that I solved on an online IDE. A few days later my recruiter emailed me and said I passed that test and they wanted to set up a technical phone interview. I did that interview about two weeks later. Mine was only one problem and I wrote the code on a shared Google Doc. I had a hard time understanding the interviewer as he had an Indian accent and the phone connection didn't seem to be too good.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the problem exactly, but It was a problem that had to do with a grid of cells and some cells were healthy and some cells were infected.   Answer Question