Google Senior Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2016

4.0

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Total process took almost 2 months. One telephonic, followed by the onsite (5 interviews). During this process 5 times recruiters changed. Each time they told me different thing about the reference. Last one said no reference was needed till I'm getting an offer. I took preparation for 1+ month (maths, algorithm, data structures, solving problems from leetcode, glassdoor, reading papers on GFS,map reduce and many more). Interview questions were difficult (as expected from Google) but I solved all of them reasonably fast (from my perspective). 10 days after the interview recruiter told me my data structure/algorithm went well but there were some problem in the coding part of the interview, due to that I was rejected by hiring committee and asked me to reapply in 12 months. This feedback is mostly useless as I code every day at work which are reviewed by peers and I practiced a lot for this interview as well. So I don't know what went wrong in coding part. I don't know if this much time investment worth it or not. I'll probably not reapply in Google.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA, but they were on Graph/DP/String manipulation/Bit manipulation/Encoding-decoding and some design problems.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

I submitted resume through a former co-worker who now works in Google. Within a week I was contacted by recruiters. Since I was available locally (Palo Alto, CA) and had a strong internal reference they found it possible to skip phone screening and schedule onsite interview right away. I had technical interviews with 5 people plus lunch. The questions were mostly open-end designs plus occasional coding of parts of my designs. The interviewers were professional, supportive and friendly. I felt confident about answers most of the time. But with design questions it is difficult to say how well I did. It is always possible to miss an area that was considered important by the interviewer.

Waiting for results took a long time. It was about one month with occasional phone call exchanges with the recruiter. Google contacted all the people I listed as references. Once I had a phone conversation with a potential manager. I expected either additional screening or persuading to join the team but somehow the conversation did not feel like any of those.
    After a month when my expectations on getting an offer were considerably high I got a voice message from the recruiter saying that I was rejected by the executive committee.

Summary: the technical part was good, the subsequent result processing was annoying and somewhat misleading, so it is "neutral" overall.

Interview Questions

• Design distributed backend side for query auto-completion feature   Answer Question