Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 30, 2017

3.4

92 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
Tow questions:
1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
    Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in November 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me after I completed level three of foo.bar. There was an informal chat with the recruiter, after which I had a technical phone screen. The phone screen question was of medium difficulty, but the interviewer had a thick accent and I couldn't understand what I was being asked. I spent over half of the interview trying to clarify what he was saying, so I don't think he was left with an accurate appraisal of my ability. Nevertheless, the overall experience wasn't bad, I learned some valuable things, and I'll apply again in six months or so.

Interview Questions

• It pertained to graphs (dfs, bfs). I will keep the full question confidential, but it was within the range of what I was expecting.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

First there was a phone call with a recruiter to talk about the position and background. Next there was a google hangout interview where you talk about your background and technical interview questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google in September 2017.

Interview

There was a coding challenge that was followed by a technical phone interview. The coding challenge tested CS knowledge while the phone interview was more of a think-on-the-fly type of interview.

Interview Questions

• I was given a problem to solve then asked to expand the solution based on new requirements.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Submitted resume over Google recruit site. As a new graduate I was given an email with some links to study on the scale of the coming interview and a bunch of papers about GFS, bigtable and such stuff.. HR reached out to me in two weeks via email after the resume was sent. She was helpful and responsive. During the phone interview, the interviewer got straight forward to coding without asking anything about the resume. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find all the numbers that occur more than n/4 times.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of words, find the longest prefix that applies to all words.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took an online quiz that was relatively simple. Then another that was harder.

Then there were two phone interviews about two questions each.

Went to Google Mountain View in November and had four interviews. Wasn't too easy.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had two on-campus interviews and one follow-up phone interview used as "another data point." On campus interviews went okay, I was able to do the problems but it took me a little longer than I should have needed. The follow-up interview went well in my opinion but probably not well enough to compensate for my mediocre performance on the on-campus ones.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists A and B containing sorted non-unique integers, return the elements in A but not B and the elements in B but not A.   6 Answers
    • Make a data structure for adding numbers, removing numbers, and returning the median. Give the O(n) time of each operation.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen followed by an online recorded programming challenge. The programming challenge was pretty easy in my opinion. Maybe that has something to do with why I got hired. I think it was a very fair challenge though. Not like a hazing ritual but a very straightforward problem to code a solution to.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall exactly the challenge but you had to code something in a tool that recorded you as you typed. And then they can later review how it went.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

There are two phone interview for intern application, and the questions are about data structure and algorithm. And every interview last 45 min, the interviewer will ask you to write code on google doc. And he will describe the problems to you, you should write code on google doc.
    Firstly, the interviewer ask you about the projects in you resume, and you should answer his questions about your project, like how did you implement this project and why did you choose this algorithm to do you project.
    And then they would ask you some algorithm problems and data structure questions.
    Finally, if you have time, you could ask them some questions about their work and their group.

Interview Questions

• How to implement union find?
      longest palindrome   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was difficult at first but once the interviewer warmed up it seemed to go okay. They were tough with technical questions but overall the experience was very pleasant and they were very informative about the company culture