Google Software Development Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

3.5

88 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

Phone interview:
The Interviewer was late for 20 mins... Ask nothing on my resume.
Tow questions:
1) A string consists of ‘0’, ‘1’ and '?'. The question mark can be either '0' or '1'. Find all possible combinations for a string.
2) Give you a text file, remove duplicated lines.
    Follow up: If the file is very large, general hash map takes too much spaces, come up with a better solution.

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

First there was a phone call with a recruiter to talk about the position and background. Next there was a google hangout interview where you talk about your background and technical interview questions.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. Submitted resume over Google recruit site. As a new graduate I was given an email with some links to study on the scale of the coming interview and a bunch of papers about GFS, bigtable and such stuff.. HR reached out to me in two weeks via email after the resume was sent. She was helpful and responsive. During the phone interview, the interviewer got straight forward to coding without asking anything about the resume. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Given a sorted array, find all the numbers that occur more than n/4 times.   2 Answers
    • Given a list of words, find the longest prefix that applies to all words.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Took an online quiz that was relatively simple. Then another that was harder.

Then there were two phone interviews about two questions each.

Went to Google Mountain View in November and had four interviews. Wasn't too easy.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Had two on-campus interviews and one follow-up phone interview used as "another data point." On campus interviews went okay, I was able to do the problems but it took me a little longer than I should have needed. The follow-up interview went well in my opinion but probably not well enough to compensate for my mediocre performance on the on-campus ones.

Interview Questions

• Given two lists A and B containing sorted non-unique integers, return the elements in A but not B and the elements in B but not A.   6 Answers
    • Make a data structure for adding numbers, removing numbers, and returning the median. Give the O(n) time of each operation.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen followed by an online recorded programming challenge. The programming challenge was pretty easy in my opinion. Maybe that has something to do with why I got hired. I think it was a very fair challenge though. Not like a hazing ritual but a very straightforward problem to code a solution to.

Interview Questions

• I don't recall exactly the challenge but you had to code something in a tool that recorded you as you typed. And then they can later review how it went.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

There are two phone interview for intern application, and the questions are about data structure and algorithm. And every interview last 45 min, the interviewer will ask you to write code on google doc. And he will describe the problems to you, you should write code on google doc.
    Firstly, the interviewer ask you about the projects in you resume, and you should answer his questions about your project, like how did you implement this project and why did you choose this algorithm to do you project.
    And then they would ask you some algorithm problems and data structure questions.
    Finally, if you have time, you could ask them some questions about their work and their group.

Interview Questions

• How to implement union find?
      longest palindrome   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Google (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

It is an OA and Survey. People should do the OA first and then do the survey. The OA contains two problems. The first one is easy to answer and the second one is very long and hard to understand. You shoud use DFS to answer the second question.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in January 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview after the online OA, I got two questions for the phone interview and they are easier than I expected, all easy level questions in leetcode. However, I have a bug for the second question and didn't find it by my own. Got rejected after a week.

Interview Questions

• Data structure and easy algorithm questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Madison, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter will setup a time where you can take the Snapshot Survey (~20min) and coding sample (1 hour) over a 2 week period. If they like that response, they will setup 2 phone call interviews and then if they like those, they will invite you on site.

Interview Questions

• I am unable to share the questions from the coding sample.   1 Answer