Google Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Software Engineer In Test Interview Questions

3.5

56 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google in June 2016.

Interview

Before I dive into the interview process, my first advice will be to not confuse the timezone of your phone call. Unfortunately, I did and woke up at 6 AM in the morning waiting for the recruiter who was actually supposed to call me at 1PM. So the interview called me at the specified time. He skipped any question regarding my resume and present me with first question.

Interview Questions

• Log start and end time ( print) when a user connect to a server   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Boulder, CO) in December 2015.

Interview

Over the phone screening interview with a recruiter followed by 1-on-1 phone technical interviews. Adequate performance will result in a second phone technical; outstanding performance will allow you to skip the second. Advancing beyond that results in an on-site review day with several interviews and chances to talk to Google employees. Nervousness is expected during every step and mistakes will happen but you needn't be discouraged by them. Google focuses on having a low false positive rate, not making it through doesn't mean you aren't an amazing person.

Interview Questions

• Implement a data structure X in your favorite programming language.   1 Answer
    • Implement an algorithm to solve X problem in your favorite programming language.   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

A recruiter reached out a number of times to see if there was mutual interest. When I finally responded I was interested, I was given an over-the-phone technical interview. The interview was broken down into 3 parts - implement a solution for some arbitrary problem, come up with test cases for it, and then list the smoke tests for some google product.

After that, the on-site interview consisted of 5 back-to-back technical interviews. There were no real drink, snack breaks - except for a brief 30 minute lunch. The interviewers were rather impersonal so the prospect of working with some of them didn't excite me.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of characters, find the number of occurrences for a given word. The word may appear left-right, up-down at any point in the word (no diagnols).   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google in October 2015.

Interview

I went through by HR in Google. I have to thank the HR for his patient but the phone interview really make me feeling not good. I cannot hear it clearly, and the man was speaking really very fast! Also, he only asked me one question and then stopped the interview.

Interview Questions

• Some array stuffs. Let me calculate the array and then to improve it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Extremely fun and engaging experience that was totally worth it! Definitely the best interview process yet. Some people may find it difficult because the broad topics that were covered but the interviewers are really there to help you along.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me and then there were 2 phone interviews. First one ask to code a function to perform snake sort, and then write unit testing. Second one is a problem regarding one-dimensional array.

Interview Questions

• code a function to perform snake sort, and then write unit testing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

The entire interview process took a long time. Over two months if I'm remembering correctly. That part wasn't so great. However, as stressful as an entire day full of interviews is, I actually really appreciate that now. My stress about technical interviews has always been that if they ask me about something I don't know, I come off looking like an idiot and that is their only impression of me. The 4+ interviews meant that even though I drastically flubbed one, that wasn't their only impression of me. Of course, I still didn't do well enough for Google, but I don't feel like I represented myself terribly because I was able to express different sides and answer a variety of questions.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in April 2015.

Interview

It was moderate.Not too hard. The interviewer asked me a question based on the data structures. I answered it but took a little time to answer it.Initially i went off in the wrong direction but quickly realized it and gave them the answer(correct i guess). This was the mistake i made according to the feedback given.Apparently i have to quick to the answer right. One more question was based on testing.

Interview Questions

• How to test a product and what anticipated difficulties.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me to initiate the process. We went over some basics via email and afterwards we had a phone conversation. That led to a 45 minute phone interview with a current SET at google. There was no personality or behavioral aspects to the interview, it was all programming on a shared google document.

Interview Questions

• They asked to code a question and design test cases for it. They asked me not to share the question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was initiated by a recruiter, who reached out to me via email. He told me that he found me through my LinkedIn profile, and was interested in having a short phone conversation. During that conversation, we chatted about my skills and experience, and he outlined a potential role (SET) to gauge my interest. Once I told him that I was interested, he set me up with a engineering phone screen, which was one hour long.

The phone screen consisted of me talking with another SET. He briefly outlined his experience, and then asked me to talk a bit about myself. This lasted 5-10 minutes, and then we moved on to a programming question. All of the code I wrote was in a Google doc.

About 2 weeks after the phone screen, I was contacted by my recruiter to let me know that they wanted to bring me on-site. They flew me out on a Sunday, and the full day of interviews were on Monday. I then flew back on Tuesday.

The onsite interviews are where they really get a feel for how well you understand data structures and algorithms, and how you think under pressure. The day consisted of 5 45-minute interviews, and a 45 minute lunch. Each interview was basically the same format as the phone screen: 5-10 minutes of getting to know one another, followed by coding questions. It's important to note that the coding questions are all done on a whiteboard, so it is really important to practice coding questions by hand. You really don't appreciate how nice autocomplete is until you're working without it.

After the onsite interviews, each of the interviewers will write feedback about you, and give you a score. This feedback is all given to a hiring committee, who (unofficially) makes the decision of whether or not to hire you. There is still the executive and compensation committees after that, but from what I have read and heard from my recruiter, the hiring committee is the tough one to pass.

Overall, I think this process was pretty smooth. I dragged it out a bit, because I hadn't used Java in years, and I had a big project going on at my current job, but expect the process to take at least 2-3 months from first contact to offer.

Interview Questions

• They requested that I don't share any interview questions, but I will say that a deep understanding of data structures (especially hash maps and heaps) is going to go a long way for you.   Answer Question