Google Technical Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Technical Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.3

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in February 2017.

Interview

Applied through employee referral... first call with recruiter was just general screening questions, followed by 2 phone interviews.

The two phone interviews are very dry. The interviewers basically read through a list of pre-defined questions and note down your answers. They're technical, one for system troubleshooting and one for project management. They will not give you any feedbacks or drilldown questions to your answers.

Unfortunately I didn't answer one of the questions too well, but overall, I felt that this interview process is dumb. Why don't they just send me to one of the test centers to test my knowledge instead of sending humans to conduct interviews? There're little to no human interactions whatsoever with the interviewers. They simply read off a list of questions and note the answers regardless of what you said. They do leave some time in the end for you to ask them questions though. I guess that's the only benefit otherwise I don't see any points in these phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• General project management questions. Check out PMP, Six Sigma, and PRINCE2 frameworks.   Answer Question
  • General TCP/IP questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY).

Interview

Brief phone screen that led to on-site interview in the Mountain View office, which consisted of five interviews throughout the entire day (mix between behavioral and technical). Phone screen was with somebody in the role, and consisted of describing how to architect a vague feature that Google currently implements. On-site behavior interviews concerned themselves with how to manage people, and technical interviews covered basic algorithms and structures.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a team that had conflicting paths on how to proceed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Long, unfortunately due to my busy schedule. It seems they would have sped up the process for someone who wanted it. Two phone interviews and then flown out to Mountain View for five interviews in a row. Some technical in nature, some not. They interviewers were amazing, but my recruiter was on vacation the day of my interviews and I wasn't let in to the building on time to start.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Pre-screening with recruiter, potentially to be followed with phone and on-site interviews.
    The recruiter was highly unprofessional since the very beginning. Communication was inconsistent and sporadic, feedback non-existent. After an initial response asking me for times to schedule an in-person interview, I got no follow-up response, despite my periodic attempt to reach out via email, until I got a final template-based denial email.

It is concerning that a company like Google manages its screening and hiring process this way, using external and highly unprofessional recruiters to select its talent. Is this a sign that the venerated tech giant has already passed its peak, and is now on its way to an inescapable decline? Maybe my expectations were too high, but in the end, I might have just dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Run of the mill questions with the recruiter, nothing challenging or different from the standard superficial questions you'd be asked elsewhere.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was flown out onsite to Mountain View. No phone screen. My resume was a perfect match for the job and they didnt want to lose me as i was looking for jobs.
    It was a full day of interviews - 5 rounds + lunch.
    Great experience
    I was like a kid in a toy store

Interview Questions

• All the general PM questions - How do you manage a project? How do you manage a slip? when to escalate? how do you get through a tough delay?
      All possible general PM questions and variations. They also wanted me to give examples from my experience on how I managed situations
      Answer Question
    • Describe and whiteboard a continuous deployment system.
      Describe and whiteboard a continuous build system.
      Answer Question
    • How would you write code for something you knew nothing about?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Was Referred by a friend. One recruiter call followed by a phone interview with a TPM. 5 onsite interviews. Recruiter was very helpful and gave updates regularly. Results came only after a month after all the committees had approved

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Google in June 2016.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews with onsite multi contact interviews. Heavy concentration on ensuring that candidates are a good fit for the culture. Multi contact interviews were a full day with some information from one meeting needed for the next. Attention to detail required to properly relay the information.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project where you worked with difficult clients and how you overcame the challenges   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Longish process, but handled with care and precise expectations laid out. In the end according to feedback, the fit was not ideal, although they liked me and knew I could do the job. The people I met and spoke to, from the recruiter to handlers to greeters and team I interviewed with on site were all super cool and obviously dedicated. On site was a four hour multi-one-on-one including lunch meeting affair.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Direct Google recruiting process. The initial call and high-level interview was by the recruiter, who knew the specifics of the job very well. Very friendly and comfortable conversations preparing me for the interviews. This was followed by two interviews: the first by another Technical Program Manager with similar skill sets. It was detailed and friendly, where the interviewer got interested in the technologies that I had been working on. This was followed by an interview with a Director for the Technical Program. Very warm discussion that continued for about 65 minutes, followed by a comment stating that he was happy about the confirmations that he about the skills that I had defined in my resume. The recruiter mentioned multiple on site interviews as the next step. Still waiting on the on-site interviews...........

Interview Questions

• Converged Infrastructure technologies and how I worked with the vendors on my projects/programs   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Two Phone Screens, 5 on-site interviews, 1 additional phone interview after on-site. I reviewed a bunch of Life@Google Youtube videos to get a sense of their culture as well as the interview process. Cracking the Technical Interview and Cracking the PM Interview helped me organize my thoughts and practice my responses.

Interview Questions

• How would you build global system to upgrade software on a fleet of machines?   1 Answer