John Deere Interview Questions | Glassdoor

John Deere Interview Questions

Updated May 15, 2017

Summer Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottumwa, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Ottumwa, IA).

Interview

The local John Deere plant in my town offered a summer internship for graduating high school seniors. It was open to surrounding towns. HR was very helpful going through the application process and even came to my high school to talk to the students interested. After the application deadline I got an email that I had been selected to interview with the assigned date and time given to me. The email was quite unprofessional as it was dated for the previous year and addressed me by the incorrect name. The interview was to consist of 3 30 minute sessions of interviews with a panel of engineers. 2 of the sessions were supposed to be behavioral questions and the other was supposed to be about my resume. There were two other candidates being interviewed the same day I was. We were sat down by HR and were briefed on what the interview session were going to be like. Each of us were placed in a separate conference room and after the 30 minutes was up we would rotate rooms. There were two engineers in each conference room. Although they said 2 sessions would be behavioral and 1 would be about my resume, all of them contained behavioral questions with little to no concern about what my resume entailed. The questions asked were typical behavioral question you could find online. They told us we would know if we got the internship within the end of the week, which happened to be 3 days. However, it nearly took a week and a half for them to get back to me and let me know they were not going to select for the internship.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had two conflicting priorities and how did you resolve the conflict?   Answer Question
    • Explain the greatest conflict of your life and how you overcame it.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a group situation when someone did not participate?   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Moline, IL).

Interview

There was a two-round interview process. My first round interview was at a conference with a panel interview with two interviewing me. The questions were general behavior questions where you explain your resume and answer basic questions. I heard back within the week and was informed I'd be moving on to the second stage. For the next round they fly you to HQ in Moline, Illinois. I was interviewed in a one-on-one stay with two different interviews. I was offered a position within the same week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked on a project within a difficult group. Most of the questions were group orientated.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moline, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at John Deere (Moline, IL).

Interview

All behavioral question and there could be some technical questions depending on your position eg Architect. It is straight forward. They use a STAR method that they want candidates to answer questions with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to overcome a difficult task? What did you do? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

First round phone interview with the hiring manager and one developer. This was just a chance to go over your resume and brag about anything you've done in the past. I just listed out any accomplishments or other things I did that I was personally proud of. It went well, so they immediately invited me for an on-site interview, flying me out there to Champaign, IL.

The interview on-site was more technical, with the hiring manager and 3 developers. Mostly, it was behavioral questions, i.e. "how did I handle x when y happened" or "Name a time you didn't agree with your boss and how did you handle that?", etc. The final question was a problem solving one -- design a game from specifications given to you, but the specs are given in chunks (like real development usually is). The basic requirements are given, design the object oriented structure of what the back end may look like(for example, you have your main hero object, and enemy objects, but they may both inherit from a more generic character class, or implement the same interface, however you decide to design it). Then they come back with more specific requirements, so adjust/add to your design. About 7 rounds of that.

Got a call back a week later with a rejection. They apparently just had more experienced applicants.

Interview Questions

• Design a game from the object oriented perspective (see review).   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at John Deere in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. Process took 2 months. Went through a series of 3 interviews. Overall everyone I talked with seemed very interested in getting to know me and trying hard to sell the company to me. I enjoyed the process and felt like they really were glad they hired me.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at John Deere.

Interview

This was a shorter pre-interview in their selection process at a career/job fair. If they like the applicant they then enter more interviews for John Deere to decide if they like the applicant. It was a great process that was very well run with great interviewers.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at John Deere.

Interview

Approached them at a university career fair. Offered an on campus interview the next day. It was a behavioral interview with one other person. Overall it was a basic process, but the interview was very unnatural and awkward. It didn't feel like a conversation because the interviewer was buried in her notes the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you designed something that didn't work out as planned.   Answer Question

Development Program Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at John Deere.

Interview

Really nice process! I interviewed at my college campus and then at headquarters! Everyone was friendly and the process of a full day interview was not as bad as I had thought it was going be! They do a good job breaking up the day and making everyone relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when the task you had was unclear, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere.

Interview

I went to a career fair and talked to a recruiter. After 2 weeks, I got an email saying I should apply online. Then received two phone screens, about 2 weeks apart. Both behavioral. Was asked about team projects and experience. A day after I did my last phone interview, I received an offer.

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at John Deere.

Interview

The process was pretty easy. Deere came to campus for the career fair and I talked to them then. A few days later I got an on campus interview and then an on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Coolest project you worked on
      How you work on a team