Cardinal Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Cardinal Solutions President & CEO Kelly P Conway
Kelly P Conway

Pros
  • Provides great work-life balance for employees (in 14 reviews)

• The events are usually monthly and can range from family friendly outings to movie nights (Dark Knight Rises this year) to sand volleyball happy hours (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Though they advertise otherwise, the majority of the work is staff augmentation - sometimes very long term (in 4 reviews)

• Not a reflection of the company, but of the business model itself (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company and work experience"

Current Employee - Staff II - Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Staff II - Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take great care of employees. Your happiness is paramount and it is made known through constant lunches, dinners, parties, events, fun, and great culture building.

Cons

Long contracts at the same client.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

May 2, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the kind words! Cardinal Solutions cares about its employees and we do everything we can to make them happy. As for long contracts, maybe it's because the client really LOVES you and ... More

2. "Lack of projects"

Current Employee - Staff Consultant II in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant II in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The fridge is stocked with pop all of the time and sometimes yogurt
    Fresh fruit
    Company events happen frequently
    Company sports teams

Cons

Takes a long time to be placed at a client, yet they keep hiring people
    Mundane Bench Action Plan sheet

Advice to Management

Get something set in stone for an employee before hiring

May 2, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Patience you must have, padawan... Judging from your level, you are new to consulting. "Bench Time" is a common thing in the consulting world. Enjoy the downtime and make good use of it! You can ... More

"Great people"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've gotten to work on a variety of projects with a lot of smart people for a bunch of different companies during my years here. There are lots of company events like a golf outing, Reds night, family picnic, happy hours, poker night, etc. Good, consistent management. If you're looking for a consulting company, this is a good one! You get to do work for large companies while belonging to a smaller, less bureaucratic one.

Cons

Sometimes you get placed at a client company for a very long time, unsure of when the end will be, but you can also end up working out of the main office a lot, too.

May 2, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for the great feedback! Cardinal Culture is one of the best things about working here. We are always trying to find new things to do to bring our employees together. As for being on a ... More

5. "Principle Consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant I in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant I in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company to work for! They focus on personal development and education, while providing rewarding and challenging placement opportunities for their consultants. Unlike many other consulting agencies, they don't just place independent contractors, rather have a bench for there staff PMs and BAs. Highly recommend them.

Cons

Like most consulting agencies, while on assignment, can feel isolated from company.

May 2, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the great review! Trying to keep employees engaged is a top priority for Cardinal. It's why we created The Culture Club. We'll keep striving to keep employees connected no matter where ... More

6. "Your average consultant, but a bit more fun"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbus, OH

I worked at Cardinal Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, smart developers. , but in a mostly good way- because most people are out at clients, the office becomes a bit of a fun clubhouse. They don't micromanage, but they organize fun events to keep their consultants loyal.

Cons

A little bit "bro"-y culture, but that seems to be going away. If you are a Microsoft developer you will have more upward mobility; they accept and can easily sell Java developers but overall it's a Microsoft shop.

7. "Managing Consultant"

Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great atmosphere, very intelligent people, lots of activities both professional and social. Promotes from within. Company keeps expanding to other cities.

Cons

Salaries aren't competitve, 401K matching is only 2% of salary. Expected to work OT get promoted. If you are strictly a technical person and not a people person.... look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Do whatever you can to raise the salaries given to the employees. Train the sales staff the art of negotiation.

8. "Personal Development Here"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I signed on with Cardinal two years ago for a stable, comfortable work place and opportunities for career growth. Sometimes the pace is pretty demanding at the client, but I have continued to grow professionally and am happy with the firm. The other Cardinal consultants are top notch, and they make me feel welcome and like part of the overall team. I especially like working with other Cardinal consultants.

Cons

The pay might not be the highest around, but the benefits are absolutely excellent.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of team-building activities and a very pro-family organization. Forward-looking and approachable management. Not afraid to dive into the latest trends. Will pay mileage expenses at a certain point.

Cons

Some of the clients are not the easiest to work with. Benefits are average, possibly a bit below average (insurance, bonuses, etc.).

Advice to Management

Keep looking forward and continue pushing the latest dev trends. Possibly look into less expensive health insurance and a stronger 401(k) match.

10. "I chose Cardinal and it was the best career decision I've ever made"

Current Employee - Staff Consultant II in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Consultant II in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Upper management and leadership is very transparent about goals. Money goals, and growth goals. Large focus on culture among all staff, including who they hire. They want the best of the best and it's apparent by who you work with on a daily basis. There's no one looking over your shoulder and micromanaging your every move, but you do have constant support if you need it from a designated team lead. The trust makes motivation of a job well done very easy. It's an honor system, just get your job done and make the client happy. They understand you have a life outside of work and allow you to balance everything easily. Because they hire top notch staff, everything is done well and there's a solid team atmosphere (the bar is set high!). Consistent and timely company meetings, and one-on-one's with your team lead. Also, the technology is latest and greatest, they are always looking at what's new and upcoming in the industry. Very impressed with this group.

Cons

It's a work hard, play hard mentality. So be prepared to work hard, but when you're being taken care of as an employee, I don't think that's a con. Sometimes communication can be a challenge because you may work with remote Cardinal employees at other offices, so it's important to have regular round tables to keep everyone included.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on transparency. I love that the top dogs (Kelly and Mike) make their rounds to the different offices and are easy to talk to. All of your employees understand this is a business and the goal is growth and profitability. I would stay at this company as opposed to others because of the flexibility and how I'm treated as an employee. A place like this is hard to find.

May 10, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'll tell Kelly and Mike to keep up the good work on their respective tours! ;)

"Culture is on the decline"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Cardinal Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management still has concern for employee well-being when it doesn't interfere with the bottom line
    Free food
    Smart People
    Friendly People

Cons

Culture seems to be on the decline
    Management seems to be willing to sacrifice employee well-being if it benefits the bottom line
    CTO is too interested in his own opinion to listen to the experts around him

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. Listen to your employees.