Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

23,916 reviews

3.8

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Great company to work with, if you like traveling !!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A good place to work on.

Cons

A lot of traveling, you need to sacrifice the personal life in traveling.

Advice to Management

Doing great !!

2. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always has opportunities to growth, ample training sessions, top notch clients, benefits, recognition, good place for networking.

Cons

Varies project to project and on your lead.

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

4. "Great place to work"

Pros

Great people, benefits and interesting work.

Cons

Long hours and significant travel.

5. "Business Technology Analyst"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, Good collaborative teams

Cons

Work can become monotonous, Bad hikes

6. "The best firm to springboard your career"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Assistant in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Assistant in Detroit, MI

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training, networking, methodology, and client base. It’s a great line on your resume. The scale of the firm allows for resources that simply aren’t possible at other firms. Cathy Engelbert is a superb leader.

Cons

Expectations can be unreasonable. Consistent with public accounting in general, all engagements are understaffed. While some people sit unassigned, others are working long hours. Too much reliance on third year professionals to provide feedback to management about staff.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my time at Deloitte.

Take a moment to evaluate the influence given to inexperienced seniors over the careers of staff. This is often the first professional leadership experience for them. Their inexperience is sometimes projected onto the staff, and it can cause significant harm.

Keep pushing the cutting edge tech and employee initiatives. This is a great firm.

7. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Exposure to good technologies and work

Cons

Work environment is tense and not at all relaxing or fun

8. "Great!"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Very positive work environment with predictable growth

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Typical politics of large company

9. "Professional at Deloitte"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Professional and helpful colleagues
    Very good quality processes
    Friendly and all inclusive environment

Cons

Work life balance
    Salary is not linked to your real worth

Advice to Management

Link salary to real worth of an employee

10. "Employee Culture in Consulting"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Supportive Management
    Culture of collaboration
    Pay and benefits

Cons

Hours in consulting can be cumbersome