Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends

16,737 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1130 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 400 reviews)

Cons
  • Average Work life balance for all (in 3075 reviews)

• Lot of politics no work life balance (in 620 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for! The sky is the limit in terms of career growth potential . You are in charge of your career. Free coffee as well.

Cons

None so far other than 401k can be a lot better.

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

3. "A challenging professional life with lot of learning!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vast learning opportunities and experience
    Learn to handle challenging client situations
    Travel opportunities
    Ability to rise very quickly in organization based on your skills

Cons

Work life balance is challenging like most consulting companies
    Travel every week can become tiring
    More suited for highly motivated individuals

5. "Great company but should focus on work life balance."

Current Employee - Oracle Functional Analyst in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Oracle Functional Analyst in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Organized company, great culture, great people, and great potential for growth. Fantastic place for entry level employees with good salaries, benefits, and 401k.

Cons

You are expected to work a MINIMUM of 8 hours a day but you are really expected to work 9 hour days. Depending on your commute your looking at a 10 hour workday, everyday.

Advice to Management

I love what I do but it's not the only thing I love to do. If you go to the gym everyday after work like me, shower and eat dinner then you're not left with much personal time. I strongly believe in 7 hour work days and many studies back this up. This leaves an extra hour for commute, which I consider the worst part of my work, and allows the day to be cut into 3 equal 8 hour parts as it should. 8 hours for work, 8 hours for personal, 8 hours for sleep. I truly believe this would create a much happier, healthier and productive workforce.

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accommodating lifestyle for a consulting firm. Competitive pay and a culture focused on building you up and developing you. Great clients and challenging work

Cons

Can be political in the sense that doing a great job doesn't mean anything if you don't have the right people in your network.

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Deloitte (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Learning and training are good

Cons

No career growth and needs to improve

Advice to Management

Retain the best emplaoyees and Alumni

"Senior Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Very good culture and flexible times

Cons

work involves travel and good for bachelors

9. "Audit - Long Hours - Lots of Experience"

Current Employee - Audit Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of valuable experience. Learn something new everyday (mostly from messing up)

Cons

Long hours. For Chicago, if you live in the city and get put on a client in the suburbs expect to have no life during the week. At times there will be across the board layoffs which adds stress to an already stressful industry.

Advice to Management

Allow Audit to work from home more and don't make us come into the office when we are unassigned as other service lines are allowed to.

10. "Worth It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great working environment
    opportunities for growth
    networking
    professional resources

Cons

long process to get approvals

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Auditing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Auditing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to various industries and task, excel your career with top of the accounting firm in the world with enthusiastic people

Cons

Work load is over mounted specially at audit season, you have work over normal working hours to reach where you wanna go.

Showing 16,737 of 17,860 reviews