Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends

16,399 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Awesome Firm to work for with good work/life balance (in 1104 reviews)

• fantastic place to start / grow your career (in 397 reviews)

Cons

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

"Wonderful place to work!"

Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work - comp and benefits
    Great culture
    Flexible with travel projects
    Good place for people networking
    Recruiting is okay process

Cons

Over killing with project and internal initiatives
    No work life balance
    Less visibility with leadership
    Takes time to understand process and settle

3. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Deloitte still has the best benefits equal to or better than similar size companies and they continually seek to improve their employees quality of employment.

Cons

Unfortunately, I found some of the benefits others were awarded were not available to all on the same levels.

Advice to Management

Give a good explanation to employees as to why benefits such as working remotely and flex time do not apply to all.

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved working at this company because of the people

Cons

Their training program is lacking

6. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Perks, Steady Opportunity Growth,

Cons

Hours, Work Load, Time, Travel

7. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Generous PTO
    Leadership supportive of professional development opportunities.

Cons

Utilization requirements make it extremely difficult to use provided PTO

8. "Associate Director"

Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Leader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart people, flexible work environment and lots of opportunities for growth and development.

Cons

Can be intense and political.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on people and culture.

9. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Campus Recruiting Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Campus Recruiting Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible, innovative, supportive, challenging, motivating.

Cons

None that I can think of.

10. "Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great firm and opportunities to grow

Cons

Challenges of being part of a big organization stays.

11. "Compassionate Professional Company"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Advisory Services in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant - Advisory Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You own your career and professionals want to support you.

Cons

Long hours and working over the weekends.

Showing 16,399 of 17,497 reviews