Deloitte Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends

15,682 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Great Place to start your career - Carefully read the cons"

Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - AMS Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

These folks know exactly what they are doing. They set high standards, and consistently deliver.
    Their project expectations and planning is excellent. The top level management folks are extremely smart and have a great sense of vision and planning. If you go to company social events (which are very frequent by the way), it is quite easy to have conversations with upper management people (Partners).

Deloitte's hiring pattern is very consistent. For the young starters, they hire smart, well spoken, and subtly aggressive candidates. They have excellent training and knowledge management. They have a well oiled and empowered HR and Tech Support group. Things get done pretty fast.

Their paid time off program is really great, and pretty straight forward. No messing about.

They have a big social responsibility program that encourages volunteering. It also presents a great opportunity for youngsters to take event organizing responsibilities. This can be very very useful. Once, I volunteered for an event where we painted rooms for an orphanage center. There was a young guy who did the organizing. We were 10-12 people, with 3 senior executives actually doing paintwork. Quite unique.

I have personally seen that Deloitte's top talents tend to start young, spend a 3-4 years, then take a hiatus to pursue a Graduate Degree (typically an MBA). The firm sometimes re-hires these consultants after their MBA with generous financial incentives. They offer much better packages to folks graduating from top universities. Sometimes they can offer huge joining bonuses.

I worked in the IT consulting division.They tend to get top-end projects. On projects, the average age seems pretty low. A lot of 20-somethings, then there are a handful of 30-40 year old people and some senior Management folks.

Beginner salaries can be a bit low. (which is expected. It takes some time to build credibility in the Consulting business)

Overall, a great place to start your professional career. If you pay attention, you will get seasoned very quickly.

Cons

Work-life balance can become poor, especially during tight project timelines (This is expected in the Consulting Business). The employees have a significant amount of "firm-internal" training and knowledge contribution tasks. There are annual goal expectations. It can get tedious if you continuously work on high demand projects.

There is intense competition, especially during targeted promotion/milestone years. There can be some backstabbing. It's part of the experience. It is not as bad as it sounds, and seems manageable.

A lot of times, being young and inexperienced has it's flaws. The company has a simple way of seasoning consultants. They get pushed into high pressure situations, and they learn fast, and quickly start managing their own work. But they tend to be blind towards intricate details, especially in complicated IT product implementations. This has an interesting effect. If someone is able to do the hands-on work, everyone else tries to piggy-back on that person for their actual work. The hands-on guy gets overwhelmed, and others try to use him/her as a key resource.
    -- I personally went through a crunch project, and found a number of people "managing expectations" (piggy backing), while a handful of people actually knew the end-to-end solution and did the hands-on work.
    This created a lot more work and mental anguish than needed. Because of the expressed pressure, the hands-on guys have a hard time building and growing their reputation and subsequent performance evaluation rating. This also affects the project execution timelines.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you thoroughly read through your employment agreement and understand the implications. In recent years, they have started hiring for specific projects ONLY. This falls under a particular "AMS service line". In this case, if your assigned project gets into a problem, you are exposed to the risk of employment termination.
    Their HR and Management are very helpful, and they will try to get you a new project. But there are several constraints like location, your skills, and limited time. I went through this, and it was somewhat unnerving. This was one of the reasons I ended up leaving the company.

Advice to Management

I have high regards for the Senior Management in this company. I think they are the market leaders in the industry, especially with their consistent high standards.

Personally, I think they should strongly encourage some "end-to-end" hands-on responsibility in the IT consulting division. There are very few hands-on guys. I have seen a lot of segregation of duties between people that causes endless heartburn during crunch project timelines.

2. "Public Accounting"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

team camaraderie and continuous learning

Cons

struggles with work life balance

"Deloitte Consulting Strategy & operations"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant - S&O in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant - S&O in New York, NY

I have been working at Deloitte (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good variety of projects. Added value to profile as Deloitte S&O alum

Cons

Compensation is not the best in the industry even though the quality of projects and other opportunities are.

Advice to Management

allow more flexibility to work from remote locations

5. "Opportunities abound, work-life balance isn't just a buzzword"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility!
    Respectful, sharp people
    Great benefits

Cons

To succeed you need to be entrepreneurial and self-driven; some people struggle with this
    Sometimes you don't have a lot of choice in projects you're given

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on well-being. It's appreciated.

6. "Specialist Master"

Current Employee - Specialist Master in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Specialist Master in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, increasing employee benefits

Cons

work-life a challenge if you want to advance

7. "Business Technology Analyst"

I worked at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Varied projects, lots of valuable internal trainings

Cons

Learning new skills can be slow - work and skill building gets stagnant if the project is not the right fit

8. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recognition for good work delivered

Cons

Work life balance is impacted, travel

9. "Happy to say I have been a Deloitte employee for 6+ years"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

- Peers want to be here and want to do well
    - Generous pay and benefits
    - Extensive educational opportunities

Cons

- Significant travel (can be a pro or con depending on life situation)
    - Large organization to navigate (domestically and globally)
    - You will earn your pay

Advice to Management

Be transparent as possible with business model shifts and overall firm performance.

10. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Always a new challenge, really smart people

Cons

The travel can be difficult at times

"Business Technology Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Deloitte full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, Projects, Forward thinking, Big is better

Cons

Promotion happy environment, Many incompetent people higher up in the ladder

Showing 15,682 of 16,692 reviews