Inmar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
L. David Mounts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Benefits are good, business is growing and changing, modern work environment" (in 12 reviews)

• "Good PTO Package, Casual Dress Code" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management had no clue what was going on" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great teams was not helpful and seemed to be very close to management" (in 9 reviews)

1. "I am a full time employee"

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inmar is a great company with great people

Cons

At the present time I can't think of anything negative

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Inmar (More than 5 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, nice office building

Cons

management revolving door- lots of dead-wood managers at low to mid levels, only want to protect their own jobs and appear busy

"Alarming signs of mismanagement and disregard for workforce"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

I came on board as an Inmar employee via one of their recently acquired properties. Coming from a small startup there's something to be said for the job stability a brick and mortar company that has been around for 30+ years can offer.

Cons

It's inevitable that as a company grows, it develops a corporate culture that can be impersonal and bloated, but Inmar really seems to suffer this more than most. It's almost as if they treat Dilbert cartoons as as a model to emulate rather than avoid, and they mold their business philosophies based inexplicably on the teachings of a former air force pilot, in an attempt to generalize non-business management techniques to the corporate world. Inmar is not the Air Force, especially as it makes more acquisitions and diversifies, so too does it retain a workforce that is enormously diversified and less likely to thrive under a rigid model that fails to acknowledge the individual and the unique approaches they may take to optimizing their work productivity.

Inmar also seems to suffer from needless overhead costs, relying on bloated software or third party vendors to manage much of their infrastructure, of which Workday seems to be the biggest offender. To be fair though, in some ways they get it right, as I've seen with their process of integrating newly acquired properties, but there remains much room for improvement.

Also disconcerting is Inmar's transparent and offensive pandering to women in the workforce, with a variety of women's only or empowerment programs. Where are the programs for minorities or the the disabled though? We're not even given Martin Luther King Day off. So much for diversity.

Of greatest concern is what seems to be a subtle disdain (and sometimes blatant disregard) for the workforce by the leadership. It's telling despite being part of a small startup, my health insurance was once 100% covered in-network, but moving to Inmar, not only do you pay a broad range of additional healthcare costs, but they penalize you with higher premiums unless you subject yourself to biometric screening once a year, and if your BMI (already a highly controversial measurement) or waist size isn't within a required criterion, you can expect to pay significantly higher costs for your healthcare benefits. This is the first time I can remember working for a company that literally fat shames you with their healthcare package. Cigna’s healthcare for the Mid-Atlantic region here was also rated as the worst healthcare provider according to JD Powers, another red flag that Inmar is cutting costs wherever they can at the worker’s expense. It's just embarrassing that a small startup can offer me truly generous (and reputable) healthcare on a smaller revenue stream, and yet somehow Inmar, despite being a larger, established company with a larger revenue stream can't seem to match the quality of healthcare we used to enjoy.

Perhaps the greatest insult was the suspension of bonuses for 2018 because we "failed" to meet financial objectives, while the CEO made a show of how he went to the board and pleaded so we could at least get a "tax cut" bonus, something we likely would have gotten anyway given the enormously popular trend of wage increases and additional bonuses initiated by many businesses after the tax cut reform was passed. There's no doubt in my mind Inmar would have suffered a significant backlash if they hadn't at least tossed their workforce a bone here. It really astonished me that they made this announcement at the annual townhall too, which can be described at best as a cultish corporate pep rally, and the level of cognitive dissonance they exhibited. How we can we be motivated to do our best when the company we work for is constantly kicking us in the face?

Even worse, the excuse behind the loss of bonuses (which is calculated with an absurd degree of complexity using a system called TAD or TRIPP) rings hollow as well. Inmar has made a lot of incredibly expensive acquisitions recently that have put a significant dent in profits. I strongly suspect the bonuses of all employees had been raided to help fund these acquisitions, and then on top of that, we are further insulted for not performing up to par based on their financial objectives (which may or may not be realistic). It's remarkable to observe a company punish the entire workforce under a cloud of questionable business decisions made by leadership that most of the workforce had nothing to do with.

These questionable business decisions that have adversely hurt employees, along with a constant effort to nickel and dime us in terms of poor benefits, lack of bonuses and wage freezes, all paint a picture of a business that has very little regard for company morale and taking care of their workers.

Advice to Management

Slow down on the acquisitions already and start reinvesting back into the happiness of your employees (I've always believed a happy employee is also a productive employee). Find ways to reduce overhead costs and use those savings to help improve wages and bring worker compensation up to industry standards (at minimum).

Reduce the corporate bureaucracy and help foster an environment that is less likely to promote tribalism and encourages cooperation instead.

Stop unequally punishing good workers along with the bad. Stop micro-managing certain departments (especially IT) and improve the process of reigning poor or horrible managers in.

Either revamp or stop with the idiotic OKR requirements and this Flawless Execution nonsense that is straight out of a Dogbert Management Handbook.

Improve worker benefits so they’re not an insulting and borderline racist joke. Stop pandering to certain groups at the expense of others.

Stop burdening our infrastructure with layers and layers of bloated software from third party vendors that contributes so much waste and inefficiency.

"Remaketing Sales"

I worked at Inmar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good PTO Package, Casual Dress Code.

Cons

Terrible Work Environment almost to the point of it being a hostile work environment. I worked there for two years and was set up to fail on several projects. I was constantly thrown under the bus and was left off important emails and documents almost to the point where it felt intentional. I was berated by my manager publicly in the office. The directors play EXTREME FAVORITISM. I would be called into my managers office and blind sided with an issue and have no chance to defend myself. True story, on a Friday before I was supposed to go on PTO, my boss sold some product and had me go into the warehouse in June and count pallets. When I came back to my desk he was in his office watching golf on his computer. Most managers will take all the credit for your work and use your reports against you. I would drive to and from work in silence. I had reach a point of feeling so degraded and unwanted it change my whole demeanor and personality my personal life and relationships began to suffered. I finally jumped ship and got on with another company. The sad part besides management, I enjoyed what I did there.

Advice to Management

Change the culture. This goes all the way up to department VP positions otherwise you will continue to loose talented employees who don't make managers favorite lists...

"Think Twice Before Saying Yes"

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation -- you get 4 weeks upon starting. There are incredible talented people at Inmar who are very generous with their knowledge and experience.

Cons

There is one decision maker -- Inmar's CEO; no one else across the organization is empowered to make decisions.

There is no strategy in place so tactics are constantly shifting and spinning in circles is the norm.

Inmar has not taken the time to integrate the companies from their many acquisitions so process and products are not streamlined and defined.

It is an expectation to be available to respond to email at all times of day and weekends too. There is no work/life balance.

"Account Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great PTO; benefits are reasonable cost

Cons

Management is non-supportive and their is no loyalty to employees. Work-life balance is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Get in the dirt with your team.

Inmar Response

Apr 5, 2018 – Inmar's Response

Inmar focuses on providing competitive benefits and works to keep rising healthcare costs at a minimum for our team members - thank you for providing feedback.

We must openly and productively... More

7. "Best company I’ve ever had the pleasure to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive of employees’ learning new skills that will directly benefit their job, even reimburses books purchases. Generous tuition reimbursement. Promotes from within. Ample opportunity to learn about new products and company initiatives. Fantastic team, positive leadership, open doors at all levels.

Cons

Few opportunities to work remotely, even with cloud-based software conducive to doing so.

Advice to Management

Please list openings internally prior to external posting. Some positions have been done in reverse. Value internal culture and product knowledge as much as industry experience. Develop salespeople from within.

8. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

Overall company activities are getting better.

Cons

Lack of management support. Lack of direction.

Advice to Management

Put leaders in place that will truly lead.

"Inside Inmar"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

Abundant opportunity for overtime
    Temperature controlled facility
    Bonus Program

Cons

Incompetent supervisors
    Complacent and biased managers in some departments
    Poor insurance coverage and benefits for warehouse employees

Advice to Management

Live true to the "values" and seek to build leaders within the company. Provide opportunity for growth! Train and further develop your current leaders.

Inmar Response

Mar 13, 2018 – Inmar's Response

Professional development and training are central to Inmar's associate experience, including monthly training for supervisors and managers and other training provided by our Talent Development and... More

10. "Work"

Current Employee - Scanner in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Scanner in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good enough pay and paid holidays

Cons

Inconsistency and outdated equipment that don't work correctly.