Inmar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
L. David Mounts

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits are good, business is growing and changing, modern work environment (in 11 reviews)

• Some of the people are great to work with but they are slowly leaving the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is clueless about what goes on day-to-day with employees (in 12 reviews)

• Great teams was not helpful and seemed to be very close to management (in 9 reviews)

"Growing company"

I worked at Inmar full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, business is growing and changing, modern work environment

Cons

Favoritism is rampant, career growth is for a select few. Pay is not competitive, and raises are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Think outside the box - evaluate current employees skill sets to see if they are in the best position, or if there are other skills they could be utilizing. Give people the chance to apply for ALL opportunities within, rather than suddenly promoting people to jobs that no one else had the opportunity to try for. It's demoralizing. Quit valuing/glorifying people that work 80 hours a week and have no life.

"Not what I expected"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

Great benefits and lots of vacation days

Cons

You can not change departments for a year

"Good people left because of bad managers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Inmar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Bonuses based on Department Performance
    • Good PTO/401K
    • Work from home 1 day (might be going away, current management has expressed that they
    prefer face to face)
    • Good developers (those who are left)
    • Good CI Tools and testing environments.

Cons

To sum it up, "People leave managers, not companies." I don't expect the corporate culture to change, but I do want to warn any developers who might apply here.

For those who are researching what it’s like to be a .NET Developer for Inmar here in DFW, here are some things you should know:

1. If you want your career to grow at Inmar, do not question the management.
    2. See point one.

Cons:
    • Micromanagement
    • Managers who are not engaged in helping employees
    • Valid criticism is cast as employees whining.
    • If employees do not agree with the environment, it is “their problem.”

To get an idea of what it’s like to be a developer here, here are some things that have happened since I joined:

• You'll need thicker skin, as you'll hear some mild racist/sexist/profane comments from managers from time to time. Not the worst things I've heard, but still inappropriate for the workplace, and especially from management.

• The management will talk about you to other subordinates. On multiple occasions, management would come to DFW developers and complain about the issues with other Supply Chain teams. The DFW team is not immune to this, as they learned that management would also vent about the DFW team to the Winston Salem teams. Even within the DFW group, management will express negative personal opinions about subordinates to other subordinates.

• Open door policies are not being followed. On two separate occasions, individuals who emailed higher ups in the course of regular business were instructed to stop. All information to Winston-Salem was supposed to be routed through management first.

• Management has instructed the DFW team that the current Web Forms to AngularJS conversion had taken too long, and was too costly, and the conversion has taken a back seat, with little to no resources going forward to continue the conversion. So if you are looking to work with newer front end technology, don't come here. We are regressing in that area.

• Management has indicated the plan is to move all healthcare returns to a single platform being developed out of Winston Salem, and the intent is to shutter both the Web Forms and AngularJS sites once this roll out is complete. However, this begs the question: Once the conversion is complete, and all healthcare returns is being run out of Winston-Salem by the Supply Chain platform, will there be a place for the DFW developers? Judging by the current management philosophy, the answer is probably not.

• In April 2017, employee rankings and merit bonuses were displayed for all to see during a meeting. The rankings did not tie to performance, but the perception of the individual, and what management has said about the individual (see earlier bullet point). Ironically, this was done during a meeting to talk about employee career goals and advancement.

• Promotions are for the loyal, not the competent. Even if you are verbally promised a promotion, if you make the mistake of openly expressing doubts, kiss that promotion goodbye. Why work hard for management that doesn't care about you?

• Management simply does not have the required skill set to manage people. Some managers are smart technically, but have adopted the “My way or the highway” approach. Some managers are just completely out of touch, having never learned the system, but were elevated due to loyalty than skill.

• Instead of the carrot and stick approach, you will instead get two sticks. Individual career guidance is completely lacking, other than to not question management. We're closing in on the year mark since the "new" career plans were announced, and there seems to be no movement on this at all within the DFW group.

• On occasion, management will sit over developers’ shoulders and tell them how to code, down to where to put spaces and line breaks (this happened to a colleague of mine). Or they may ask them to move, and management will sit at the developers' desks and code, leaving the developers to sit and watch on the sidelines. You can expect management to spoon feed you code instead of developing processes and guidelines for the group to grow.

• Management will routinely violate scrum processes, inventing hallway requirements for developers to do in addition to their normal sprint work, and bypassing the product owner entirely. This leads to added work that is not reflected in the sprint velocity, and therefore you won't get credit for the work completed. At the next sprint planning meeting, you'll be asked to do more to pick up your velocity.

• There could be interesting legal issues in terms of intellectual property because management is handing out code (Enterprise Service Bus) to developers. Some of the developers expressed concern that this code may have been taken from management's previous employers, as the code did not seem to match up with the claims that management “had coded it over Thanksgiving” The fact that a) management would rather code than help employees, and b) this is a possible legal grey area, raises concerns for me.

Advice to Management

Management thought we left due to technology differences. The truth is that we left because we didn't feel respected, and got tired of managers that didn't exhibit the slightest interest in helping the team. The "my way is the only way" management approach ruined the working environment.

"There are better places in Dallas Fort Worth area, much better"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

- Compensation is good, bur not enough to "sell your soul" - see CONs
    - Benefits are OK.
    - 401K
    - Bonus - depends on the department performance, but also on overall company performance and on how much you were able to "please" your management.
    - PTO is pretty good, but the new policies require to take half of day PTO for 1 hr doctor visit and "royal" approval in advance.
    - Work from home day - is good, while it lasts, It is going away eventually, as management does not like it.
    - Some advance technologies in projects - like Azure, Service Bus, if you are lucky to be allowed to work on those projects.

Cons

Where do I start ...
    - Management is preaching about culture and values, but in reality it is very different in Fort Worth branch.
    - Micromanagement, to the point of tyranny.
    - Intolerance to critique or different opinions, no matter how valid they are.
    - Focus on "shiny" and "flashy" projects, while real business issues are swept under the rug.
    - Several legacy projects hangs there for years, taking a lot of efforts to support and maintain, and developers are not allowed to spend time to upgrade/migrate those. Oh, and time tracking is getting very strict.
    - if you are unlucky to displease the management, you will get stuck with one of those old technology projects in the support mode without a chance to get out
    - At the beginning of each year a lot of talks about career development and skills advancement, but then NOTHING is done, - no mentoring, no coaching, and questions about that are considered as bad attitude and whining.
    - if you voice your own opinion, you will be singled out, isolated and placed into the environment so you will quit eventually.

CONs got much worse in the last year or so, management seems to be not able to actually manage people, so they trying to "govern" them ... so much for the "cutting edge technology google wanna-be company"

Advice to Management

I don't think this review will change anything,
    three people leaving in couple of month, and not even one question asked about what is the reason of leaving?
    I guess management is not interested .

Everybody is replaceable, true, but the cost of the replacement may vary.

Aug 31, 2017 – Inmar's Response

Transitions, such as the one your team is undergoing, can often be challenging and unsettling. Great Teams! continues to work closely with management to help the team work through changes in a... More

"sales representative"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

Stretches your knowledge. Be prepared for a big learning curve, which is good.

Cons

Clique-like atmosphere. Have to be "popular" with the right people. Tons of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Tell your managers to not get involved in the clique-like behavior.

"Trade relations rep"

Former Employee - Trade Relations Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Trade Relations Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at Inmar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was really good

Cons

Management was terrible. There was favoritism and the manager trained poorly and expected you to get the specifics of the job based on the poor training. It's very micro managed. Management were sneaky and would lie for their favorites to keep them out of trouble. Great teams was not helpful and seemed to be very close to management.

Advice to Management

Get new, fair, and honest managers.

7. "Inmar"

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The auditing position is great. Flexible hours, good pay and benefits, and very low stress position. Allowed to do my job without any problems.

Cons

Lack of communication at times. Not with direct superiors, but with benefits and other departments.

Advice to Management

Make communication a priority. Like I said though, the problems are very limited.

Jul 24, 2017 – Inmar's Response

We are fortunate to have your talent, positive energy and commitment to continuous improvement on the Inmar team! Effective communication is critical for success. As our company grows, we constantly... More

8. "One of WS's largest employers"

I have been working at Inmar full-time

Pros

Casual dress; relaxed atmosphere in most departments; above average benefits; great location in downtown WS

Cons

Frequent changes to roles and team structures

9. "Great Company to work for !"

I worked at Inmar full-time

Pros

Great management and employees. Very good incentives and raise

Cons

There were none, great company!

Advice to Management

No advice needed

"Accounting Managers and DIRECTOR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Inmar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear Jeans to work everyday and you can quick, find ANY job knowing that it has to be better.

Cons

Worst place ever to work

Advice to Management

WAKE UP

Aug 18, 2017 – Inmar's Response

Numerous avenues are available for you to share your perspective productively with leadership, in support of our first value that "Teamwork and positive energy produce the best results." Our EVP... More