MassMutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MassMutual Chairman, President, and CEO Roger W. Crandall
Roger W. Crandall

Pros
  • Stable Company, good benefits if you take advantage of them (in 28 reviews)

• Great benefits for a statutory W2 emplyee (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Commission only, no base salary or temporary salary while training (in 19 reviews)

• It is 100% commission based, so the beginning can be very difficult to get through (in 23 reviews)

1. "Good company that is currently undergoing massive change."

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Very strong company with opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Health benefits aren't that good and there are too many people/departments involved in simple tasks.

"Awesome Place to Work"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The ability to build your own business- This opportunity allows you to build your own process, client base and business model. There are opportunities for joint work with other advisers who are experienced.

Selfless management team- They management team here does everything in their power to help you achieve your personal goals in regards to building your own business. They ensure that you are on track and hold you to the expectations you set for yourself.

You get what you put in- This career is not for the faint of heart or those who want something handed to them. If you do not wake up every day to find people that you can help educate and provide solutions to their problems then this isn't a job for you.

Hands on help- There are numerous ways the office and staff help advisors with their business. The training program here has become top notch and is designed to get you up and running as quickly as possible. The staff is exceptionally helpful with marketing events, business coordinating and creating an incredible client experience

Cons

100% Commission Base

This is not a career path for everyone. You cannot sit around and hope for clients to seek you out.

The learning curve is steep but the joint work partners help fix that.

3. "Intern to Financial Advisor"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at MassMutual (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained experience with Salesforce, Box Sync, Selling strategies.

Cons

Near by parking is unaffordable.

Advice to Management

Perhaps include travel expenses in intern's pay

5. "Employee"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Duties were challenging, great colleagues

Cons

Lack of work-life balance, transparency

6. "Great Place to Launch Your Career"

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will not meet a more supportive group of people in leadership roles. They will bend over backwards for you, as long as you do your job, and you do it well; or at the very least they want to see that you're trying.

Cons

Entry-level starting wage does not keep up with industry standards (at least not here in Phoenix).

Advice to Management

Not much except continue to bring MM up to present time when it comes to technology. As well as bumping up the entry-level starting wage, $40k is competitive and an acceptable starting point for any new career. The jump from 38k to 40k is a small jump, but may deliver a great return in employee satisfaction, and overall wellness.

7. "Want to ruin your career, go here!"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The whole life product is good, should be, that's what you are going to be forced to sell. You can sell MML products from almost anywhere, why settle? If it is the right fit, do yourself a favor and interview with at least 3-4 companies. It's easy, call the office, ask for a manager and ask for an interview. Every manager is driven to fill seats, they will likely interview you. Benefits are good.

Cons

Managers and the agency get a huge override on what they call Tier 1 LADL business in your early years. Outside of that, the overrides are drastically reduced. Following the Met purchase, management in both firms are competing to try to win the right to be the only GA left in Upstate NY. The two GAs in Buffalo hate each other and trash each other to their managers. To "win" they have to be profitable and cut costs, which they are doing by firing people with no notice or charging fees to new advisors in excess of $400 per month. You don't have to pay that, find a different company and ask about costs during and if you do not make it. If you fail, and 90% of people do, expect a bill. Want to go somewhere else, maybe keep your clients, expect a battle. MassMutual loves the courtroom.

8. "Executive Assistant/Licensing and Contracting Coordinator"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Enjoyed working in the hub of the business and improving processes and procedures.

Cons

In the process of a business conversion.

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate with your team members to keep open communication and have hands-on training with your team members to assist them in adding value to the business.

9. "Financial Planner"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

MM offers great benefits and job security. I was able to work in Boston, so can't comment much on the Springfield location. I enjoyed the work life balance and was able to leave my work at the office each night.

Cons

I didn't enjoy the amount of red tape, it feels like there are always hoops to jump through to get things done there. I also didn't enjoy working with my managers.

Advice to Management

Managers need to communicate better with their employees. What are the goals, milestones, etc that each employee should be striving for?

10. "I worked hard and it paid off!"

I worked at MassMutual part-time

Pros

It was an exciting environment to work in, with high energy people. You really have to stay on top of it to achieve, but I feel that upped my game, Invaluable learning experience.

Cons

It was hard to have a life outside of work.

Advice to Management

A bit more interaction and leadership would be extremely helpful.

11. "Policyholder Service Consultant"

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Very good benefits program. Treat employees well.

Cons

Stuffy, corporate culture, that does not want to change.