Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Mastercard President and CEO Ajay Banga
Ajay Banga

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The fact that we can work from home or do flex hours means we have a great work life balance (in 170 reviews)

• Professional, allowing work from home (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Some are pure meat grinders with little or no work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Middle management is not focused and not in aligned with senior management (in 29 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Enabled to grow and excel inside and out of workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love that my company cares enough to keep asking as well as providing tools, programs and ways to get ahead. Not just financially but emotionally as well. We have 5 paid days per year to volunteer to any of our favorite charities as well as an expanded pat leave globally...not to mention that #acceptancematters.

Cons

Takes a bit of time to learn about other teams and what they do or how you should align with them

2. "Director"

Pros

Culture, salary, location, resume builder

Cons

Don't have many cons to add

3. "Senior Consultant"

I worked at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Great company, forward thinking. Above average benefits. Opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Occasional pockets of nepotism but overall good management.

4. "Honestly really love working here"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Culture: It varies slightly by parts of the company, but pretty much everyone is kind, helpful, and willing to share knowledge. The identification as a tech company is also very present in the casual dress code, scooters/ping pong in the office, and the frequency with which we are provided food in meetings and events. I genuinely feel like the company cares about the people who work here.

- Work/Life balance: It's awesome. Our maternity/paternity leave policy is awesome, the office is mostly empty by 6pm, the company only lets you carry over 5 vacation days a year which incentivizes you to take vacation. This is part of why I have no intention of leaving this company any time soon.

- Benefits - in a business role (as opposed to development or tech support, etc, which I can't speak to), the compensation, bonuses, and stock options are generous and fair to market averages. 401k matching is fabulous and vests quickly. Also why I have no intention of leaving any time soon.

- We do some cool stuff - Mastercard has a really interesting business model. We do some cool stuff in the tech space, but are also a juggernaut player when it comes to enabling card payments. As a result, we have the money to spend on exploring good ideas, which makes it an interesting place to work.

- Diversity - Mastercard is not kidding around with it's dedication to diversity. It's one of the reasons people come here, but also what makes me want to stay.

Cons

- It's a big company - There's bureaucracy in every Fortune 500 company. I've worked for 3 of them, and this is actually the most streamlined in terms of processes. We also have to do standardized trainings. Every job has downsides, but bureaucracy is a fair trade off for the stability of salary, benefits, and work/life balance, to me, at least.

- It's not THAT big a company - Mastercard is still only around 12k employees worldwide. I actually see this as a plus in terms of how much responsibility an otherwise mid-level person can have, but it does mean there aren't always endless job options at every level in every group in every location.

Advice to Management

The shift the company has taken in the last 7 years or so has been remarkable. It's going to be interesting to see where it goes next.

5. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing company to work for! Competitive salary, above average benefits. A culture that values creativity. Managers care about your personal growth and development. Every day I get to work with bright, motivated people from all over the world.

Cons

As with any large company, change can be slow

6. "Senior Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture of sharing and innovation, many growth opportunities throughout the company (although might not be in the same area), good work/life balance, awesome benefits, valuable work

Cons

At times slow go-to-market from a global/regional perspective

"Technical Lead"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance, and flexible remote work opportunities if your manager is ok with it.

Cons

Tech is a nightmare to work in here, especially if you are trying to innovate. The culture and workflows of technical systems/processes themselves highly incentivize micromanagement. Simply put, it's hard to do a good job, because the correct employee empowerment, tools, and acceptance of ideas from engineers across all ranges of disciplines and experiences simply do not exist at Mastercard. Seldom do I encounter technical limitations, but politics very often grind projects to a halt for months or even years. Also, a vast majority of management does not come from a technical background, so vision is more derived from buzzwords than an understanding of techical value and desired results; precision is lacking when it comes to steering technical goals.

If you like to coast doing the status quo with a decent salary, Mastercard may not be a bad choice. But if you want to innovate, try new things, and be excited by what you're building in your day to day job, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Trust and empower your employees! Innovation comes from all having the ability to experiment!

8. "A company in transition to digital"

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Strong brand & customer base, clear focus on digital

Cons

Can feel like a work in progress at times and a bit more top down in decision making than is best for companies that aspire to digital leadership

9. "Business Leader"

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, people and compensation are pros.

Cons

Be prepared for reorganizations annually

"Great Company Vision; Labor is a Sweatshop"

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Title of this review says it all. The company is doing great things in the world, and they have an excellent vision for how technology can make a difference. Some parts of the organization are learning to embrace Agile, but the culture is far from DevOps. The company, vision, goals, and ideas are inspiring... too bad middle management and the culture hasn't bought it.

Cons

The other parts of the organization are resisting culture transformation.... that's was not strong enough. More than resist, they put forth the effort to fight anything unfamiliar. In the operations side of the house, the people work 60+ hours and are unappreciated, with a performance review process which emphasizes the negative instead of strengths.

Advice to Management

replace them all.