Mastercard Reviews | Glassdoor

1,242 reviews

3.9

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Certain teams have very bad work/life balance where others are just too relaxed" (in 48 reviews)

• "Lots of clustered senior management groups from same nationality on global roles" (in 38 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Product Specialist"

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best work culture and Employee centric organisation

Cons

No Cons to highlight as of now

2. "Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mastercard part-time

Pros

Great company, good pay.

Cons

Not a lot of people my age <25 working there.

3. "Sr. Product Specialist"

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

Great work/life balance, dynamic industry

Cons

Fewer opportunities for lateral moves at more junior levels

4. "Good pay, Not so good culture"

I have been working at Mastercard full-time

Pros

- Good pay package (I guess thats the only reason people stay)
    - Good benefits
    - Flex timings.

Cons

- Slow work env. Some departments in OnT works like some under-developed country government.
    - Company is hugely dependent on contractors. And contractor's dont care of deliverable. They only care of 9-5 and their payment. Quality and timely deliverables are mostly headache of tech leads.
    - Tech leads are being treated as Punch bags. Anything goes wrong, bring in tech lead and drop everything on him/her. At least in my team. There is no one answerable for anything other then tech leads. SSE's, SE's are just there for technical writing for the day and go home without any worries, since they do not have to answer to anyone.
    - Huge disconnect between decision makers and grass root level employees.
    - Executives makes changes every year by their own instincts. Or some new executive joins and tries to make changes like Amazon or Apple, without understanding the dynamics of teams. Specially in OnT.
    - Favoritism is important. If you are your manager's favorite and can do pep talks, you grow.

Another issue is Global mobility department. They keep you on edge all the time. Never provides timely or proper updates. They don't like it if you follow up and expect rude responses.

I am still not clear what is the role of HR in this org. They only talk to employees through managers. If you are not happy with your manager, only way is change role or job.

- There is a great concept of smart move which organization promotes. But, if you apply for smart move to some other location or country, you are immediately being shot down stating no budget. Why do you promote something if you want to shut down anyways?

Advice to Management

- Connect with people who are working at grass root level. Do not rely on your direct reports. Lot of information and knowledge is lost before specific or details reach to top.
    - Global Mobility should learn to keep employees updated on their move or immigration issues. Understand their pain and give them timely updates.

5. "Positive Culture & Incredible Talent"

Current Employee - Manager in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, the culture is very positive and inclusive with a lot of diversity throughout the company, which has been a breath of fresh air and speaks to the level of talent. Most people across the organization are willing to share their knowledge and help wherever they can. And there are so many incredibly talented people in every team - kudos to the hiring practices. Additionally, while I haven't been with the organization for long, it seems like there is a lot of opportunity for growth and longevity. Many people have been with the organization for several years, and have moved throughout different teams. Last but not least, the overall compensation is very competitive with generous vacation, sick days, and even allocated volunteer days.

Cons

Sometimes it's unclear who is in charge of what products or services, and you have to ask around a lot to find the right resources.

Advice to Management

Keep maintaining a positive environment, continue seeking the right talent and promote internal growth. And continue expanding internal product resources and information.

Jan 3, 2019 – Employer Brand Marketing Manager

Thanks for your thoughtful review! We are a fast growing company, and I know it can be a challenge to keep abreast of our growing teams. We are revamping our intranet and will offer resources for... More

"Career progression is slow especially if you are a developer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work from home options and teamwork. People are helpful and believe in the mission.

Cons

Career progression is really slow if you are a software engineer in the tech hub. One of the main reasons new hires leave is also because of this. Pay is also low when compared to the market standards of other fintech companies. The management progresses every year but the engineers and architects are stay put. It kind of became a bit toxic to work at since the past one year. My advice for an engineer would be to not make this company your first option.

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level employees more (not just the organization management) and try to meet the industry standards for the pay. MasterCard used to be innovative or at least tried to be once, but now they just try to jump on the wagon after someone else creates a product or follows what other companies do.

Jan 16, 2019 – Employer Brand Marketing Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. At Mastercard we focus on enabling our employees to achieve their maximum potential. We empower all of our employees to seek development opportunities and... More

7. "Senior Business Leader"

Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Marketing in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing CEO, great corporate culture

Cons

None that I can describe

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Very Poor Senior Leadership, Very Flat Organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High pay. Offers stock awards.

Cons

Senior leaders protect themselves and are not respectful of staff. A lot of new senior leaders being recruited from non-financial industries (e.g. CPG, Health, Pharma, etc) have no clue of the payments industry business and really have nothing to contribute other than talk about what they used to do in their old world.

Some senior leaders very unprofessional in demeanor in dealing with staff, peers, other BU staff during meetings and everyday collaborations. Obvious favoritism at an all-time high in the organization. HR useless — pro management and cannot be trusted to support employees.

Advice to Management

Re-think who you choose to hire & keep as senior leaders. Listen to employee morale. Act immediately on feedback about bad managers (VPs/SVPs/EVPs) - replace these rather than the direct reports who do all the hard & effectuve work everyday.

9. "Is it cheesy to say it’s Priceless?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A forward thinking environment not afraid to put customer needs ahead of the curve.
    This is a relationship based environment that fosters people to be decent with each other.
    I love the ability to take time to make an impact greater than my work through the volunteer time.

Cons

Getting the required tech in order when you first start is a nightmare.
    Other than that, I have nothing else to say that’s a con.

Advice to Management

Maintain this culture of having open feedback, but also an attitude of being kind to each other. It’s the main reason why people stay here for so long.

Dec 20, 2018 – Employer Brand Marketing Manager

We happen to think Priceless is a perfect description! Thanks for the honest feedback. We can always improve our processes and are working diligently to ensure that we give our employees a priceless... More

10. "Project Management"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mastercard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The companies culture was very positive

Cons

Some departments leadership was very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Be more observant of turnover