Micron Technology Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Design engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great collaborative environment to solve difficult problems.

Cons

The cafe food can be better.

"Heavily passionate about my job but have a bad taste in my mouth after the recent “performance” review."

Current Employee - Dram Product Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Dram Product Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunities for strong problem solvers.
    Easy to make friends with coworkers.
    Work is very interesting on an RND team - my dream job.

Cons

Team sizes are decreasing every year.
    Responsibilities are increasing.
    Product life cycle goals were just recently crunched in half - accelerating all work.
    Very few “team leads” are capable of leading a team - most people in the lead positions are voluntold.
    Heavily skilled and passionate employees are being pushed out the door due to the most recent “bell curve performance ratings”.
    Morale is very low right now.

Advice to Management

Offering a severance package to people who got 2s on the performance review of 2018 was absurd. It was one thing to implement a reduced profit sharing %, but pushing hundreds of honest, dedicated, and skilled employees out the door for no reason went way to far. Do not repeat this in 2019 or you will likely lose the rest of your knowledgeable workers in DRAM Product Engineering: whom are already slim-pickings as is.

3. "Process enginner"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment, Good programme's to train the new hires and motivate them.

Cons

too cold in the office

"It used to value the employees and treated them like family for their loyalty."

I worked at Micron Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people work there and most of them very knowledgable.

Cons

Collaboration is one of the core values, but the new way the system has been setup, there will not be much collaboration between colleagues in order to get a higher score on the incentive pay and annual review.

"Dead End Company"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits for Boise

Cons

Company only cares about upper management and how much money they can make. Employees are expendable and not appreciated in any meaningful way. New CEO is clearly not interested in the companies success.

Advice to Management

Remove Sanjay and get things back to the way they were with employee moral.

"The culture is changing"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology (More than 3 years)

Pros

Let me start by saying I love the work I do every day. It’s fun, exciting, challenging, co workers are great, etc.. If it wasn’t for my management structure, my team and I could be significantly more productive and my outlook would be completely flipped.

Cons

Unfortunately over the last few years, things are changing. Managers and senior management are leaving left and right. Their replacements are often quick placement instead of correct placement if they are even replaced. There is a lot of leadership talent in non- manager rolls begging for the opportunity to prove they cane do the task, but are never afforded the opportunity. Instead, you end up with unqualified managers and with no leadership skills who are good at managing up, and terrible leading those below. This has lead to huge moral problems in the company. That along with review process where they force a bell curve which means you’re competing with everyone else in the company to just get a meets expectations. The curve is as follows, forced to each manager whether their team is 3 or 30 headcount:
    0-5%. - 1 and immediate termination
    10% - 2 and performance improvement plan or separation package
    60% -3 and you get to keep your job until the next culling
    20% - 4 increased bonus (140%)
    5% - 5 greater increased bonus (200%)

These will probably change before the end of FY19 but we won’t be informed until near the end of the fiscal year. Like in 2018 we were tolds 2s were safe, until you got a 2 and given a PIP impossible to meet (like obtain a college degree in 3 months).

It feels like we don’t matter anymore. We’re just another line item in some sheet.

And forget getting raises! I have my PM title but I don’t even do PM work anymore. I’ve consumed roles from 3 other people who have left the company and haven’t made a penny more for th added time and effort. Having both early morning 5:30am and late night 8:00pm meetings. I get a cost of living increase once a year, but due to increased insurance each year, my net increases are in the $40 a month range.

Long story short, your happiness here can be directly related to the quality of your Manager. I’ve had amazing managers, 2 who left the company for other opportunities because they couldn’t handle their managers. One I lost due to a re-.org because my department had lost so many leaders in 6 months and the reporting structure got severely messed up. It still is messed up with poor communication and no leadership/direction.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate how you review your employees. Some people are failing because you keep dumping more work on them. They fall behind then they get fired. Look into why your employees are leaving. There are exit interviews, do you even look into why someone has decided to leave? If a high performing team with no churn loses 1/2 its employees after a new Manager is placed on the team, maybe look at the managers performance and not criticizing the team who are choosing to stay. They’re running with 1/2 the resources necessary just trying to keep their head above waters. Do your job so we can do ours.

"Times are a changing"

Current Employee - Director in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Director in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work in different areas, great upward mobility, Boise is a fantastic place to live

Cons

Too much influx of outside talent vs hiring from inside, makes those who have helped the company survive and flourish for the last 40 years feel like they are unworthy of the new regime.

"IT Software Engineer"

Current Employee - IT Software Engineer in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - IT Software Engineer in Boise, ID

I have been working at Micron Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and hr process.

Cons

There is a “rating” system of 1-5. It’s forced bell curve. If you get below a 3, you’re offered a severance or put on probation. It’s on a team-by-team basis. If you’re on a team of three, one person gets dinged, even if the entire team is performing well. So we have a highly technical company that apparently needs to brush up on statistics.

Mountains of technical debt. Software practices are far behind industry pace.

9. "Equipment technician"

Pros

Very great place to work

Cons

Haven’t been there long enough

10. "Multiy Craft Maintenance Technicians"

I worked at Micron Technology full-time

Pros

Is always looking to get new and knowing employee. The wags are extremely good.

Cons

Most time it's about education, when it comes to rases.

Advice to Management

Be willing to to look at over all performance of your employees.