RadioShack Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dean Rogers

2,530 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • You made good money when a new cell phone came out (in 172 reviews)

• The employee discount is good as well especially for the employee cell phone plan (in 137 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management could not come up with a strong enough strategy to really break in to the new world of tech that we live in (in 246 reviews)

• Had to force cell phones on people, and that's not why they were coming into the store (in 156 reviews)

1. "A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Technician Sales Associate in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Technician Sales Associate in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at RadioShack part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay if you are a strong salesman, laid back most of the time.

Cons

Management was always trying to cut costs, and would put unrealistic sales targets, granted management has since changed from when I was there.

Advice to Management

Stop with the high-pressure tactics to sell phones. They are low margin and most people can get a better deal elsewhere.

2. "Store Manager"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Make your own schedule was good.

Cons

salary, long hours, no personal time

3. "Sales Associate"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Fun to learn about new technology. I worked at a phone kiosk owned by radioshack.

Cons

Commissions could be better, I hear commission is different in the store as opposed to the phone kiosk.

Advice to Management

Could be a little more professional

5. "If it sinks i'm not willing to go down"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Round Rock, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, work primarily alone, customers are good at times

Cons

Working alone there is never time to eat, and if and when you bring in food to eat you'll have to eat in the front of the store and on our feet. No time to clock out and have a decent lunch break. LOTS of sales pressure, but it's expected from a company that'll sell you batteries that explode and will fire you if you don't meet your goals that are non realistic.

Advice to Management

NONE, keep doing what you do.

6. "Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people who have been around for a long time. Feels like a family.

Cons

unstable company. Too many ups and downs over the past few years.

Advice to Management

decide if you are in business or not. then commit

7. "Store Manager of RadioShack and Sprint"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at RadioShack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back environment, cool gadgets, and interesting customers.

Cons

Corporate is very unorganized. Lack of support from marketing. Lack if clarity in terms of direction. Employees needs to be treated with respect.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect and understanding that we all have bills and responsibilities. That would go miles to keeping employees in the building and getting an experienced staff rather than training new people every few months.

8. "Out of business"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fleming Island, FL
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fleming Island, FL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sold a variety of things. The schedule had good hours to create work/life balance.

Cons

Went out of business. The hourly was horrible as well.

Advice to Management

N/a

"Store manager"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Discount, dealing with electronic gadgets

Cons

Unstable company, too much work maintaining the stores, Old stores

10. "Wireless Consultant"

I worked at RadioShack full-time

Pros

Benefits, Commission, Environment

Cons

The clients are horrible

Advice to Management

Sorry

"Horrible last year."

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at RadioShack full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed selling consumer electronics; I enjoyed the competitive atmosphere and I enjoyed managing my "own" business with some autonomy. I actually loved what I did... selling electronics, running a small store, managing a staff. I enjoyed looking at our numbers and figuring out (with my employees) how we could increased profits, boost dollar-per-ticket; things like that. It's was a good challenge and it was satisfying.

Cons

Salary is absolutely horrible for most managers. Store managers are expected to work 55-60 hours a week. At smaller stores, managers wind up making about 10 bucks an hour. Bonuses amount to 200-300 bucks a month.. if you qualify for them. Most don't. Manager pay for larger stores isn't quite that bad... up to 60-70K.. but there are few stores that large and those managers tend to hang around.

Salaries, bonuses, and commissions of managers and sales associates have fallen dramatically over the years. As a sales associate back in the late early 00's, I was making 35-45K. In my last year as a Senior store manager, I was making 45K when I reached 65k at one point. And I kept working those 60 hour weeks.

As a whole, upper management and district/regional managers are either incompetent or simply running scared. They don't know what to do with this company and what kind of direction to give it. They pay more attention to the position of a stapler in the desk than the really important parts of the bussiness. I'm talking about 572 and the rest of the region.

Sales plan numbers often make no sense, and it's hard to see very good managers struggling to make unrealistic numbers.

Advice to Management

Stop shoving cell phones down the throat of every customer that walks in the door. Look at stores that work over time and figure out what those stores and those managers are doing right. More incentive pay, particularly for store managers in those smaller stores. Competent store managers should not be making 10 bucks and hour and working 60 hours a week. You can expect that people in this position are going to seriously think about leaving the company, even in an economic downturn.
    I did not want to leave RadioShack -I liked my job. I liked the people I worked with; I liked the customers whom I helped daily. I liked making yearly bonuses at my previous store. I’m grateful to RadioShack for the time I was there and the management I’d worked for over the years. RadioShack was not just a job to me but a career path in which I would have liked to be a District Manager myself one day. But Reginald Weekly was an unprofessional racist bully who offered me no room to grow with the company and showed me little hope for its future. I would think that if RadioShack hired a district manager in that district who put a small degree of effort into growing their employees, instead of just lambasting and threatening them, it could probably double its growth in 2013. I hope this blog helps all of the managers who are afraid to come forward and speak the truth about Reginald Weekly, and I hope it helps RadioShack to see that sometimes you need a soft hand to build profits instead of a shaky fist.

Showing 2,530 of 2,539 reviews