TransPerfect Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TransPerfect Co-CEO Elizabeth Elting
Elizabeth Elting

Pros
  • Connect with people around the world (in 15 reviews)

• Great people, good company culture (in 29 reviews)

Cons

1. "Solid company. Great people. Visionary leader."

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is definitely the leader in its space. Always ahead of the pack on the technology front. Constant growth every year since its inception. And the people here are truly the best and brightest, and the backbone of what makes this company so successful. CEO Phil Shawe is a true visionary and inspiration, and is the epitome of “lead by example”.

Cons

The other owner, Liz Elting, calls herself the “co-CEO”, which all of us who work here know is a complete joke. She has about as much to do with the success of this company as our Starbucks barista on the ground floor of our office building here. She filed a lawsuit claiming dysfunction and deadlock, which everyone here knows is complete nonsense. She is simply attempting to leverage a higher buyout price for her shares. She has ridden the coat tails of Shawe and the employees here for every dollar that she has made from this company, so it’s of no surprise to anyone here that she is trying to squeeze even more money out before she bolts. Ironically, even though we are in the middle of this huge lawsuit with bad press, outrageous attorney and consultant fees, and overall stress on the company, the company still continues to grow each quarter and each year! This just shows that Ms. Elting had nothing to do with the success of this company in the past, and her dysfunction and eventual exit will have no affect on the company moving forward, since she never did anything here in the first place.

Advice to Management

Liz Elting is simply an annoyance, and she needs to go away as soon as possible. Everyone here knows that Shawe is the true leader and visionary.

"Solid company being held back"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is great. Plenty of room to grow within departments. People who work here are truly the cream of the crop. CEO Phil Shawe is an incredible leader and visionary.

Cons

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the other owner of the company, Liz Elting. She calls herself the "co-CEO", but her saying she is the co-CEO of this company, or claiming to have anything to do with the success of this company is the equivalent of me saying I'm an expert in Chinese culture and history simply because I ate Kung Pao Chicken last night. She has been a complete roadblock to the true potential of this company, and everyone who works here knows that.

Advice to Management

Ms Elting needs to stop pretending like she is this amazing businesswoman and leader, take the money for her shares, and exit the company as fast as possible. Without all the attorney fees, unnecessary outrageous consultant fees, and stress Ms. Elting has brought to this company over the last few years with her frivolous lawsuit, the sky would be the limit for our company.

"Amazing people and environment despite current situation"

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries and benefits are good. The best part of TP is the people and the work environment. Creative, energetic place where you get to work with amazing people and develop relationships that extend beyond the workplace!

Cons

The behavior of our Co-CEO, Liz Elting, is very disturbing. To sit here everyday, and watch her paint one picture to the press, and then behave in the completely opposite direction, is very concerning. She is trying to paint herself to the press as this amazing businessperson and leader, constantly barking about integrity, while at the same time she is destroying this company from the inside out. It's obvious to everyone who works here that all she cares about is cashing her shares out for as much money as possible, touting herself as this incredible leader, while at the same time attempting to burn this place down on her way out the door.

Advice to Management

The "co-CEO" needs to stop lying to the the press, and maybe channel all that time and energy into actually doing something to contribute to the daily production here at this company. Then maybe she can actually earn some of the false adoration she plants for herself in the press and to the public.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing top-notch technology in localization industry; training team and project management team is good enough to provide lots of support to new hires; summer Fridays are offered with flexible paid/non-paid days off as long as you can figured your coverage out; employees are nice; cross-functional teams are supportive; work are challenging and projects are fun

Cons

Senior management is not listening to the middle management/entry level teams and act like they know everything of what is going on; typical agency culture where what matters the most is cutting corners, pressing vendors and being cheap; systems are old but not updating fast enough with the cutting-edge technology; Sales are being praised but who did the most job: project managers and engineers are greatly devalued.

6. "Good company"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard play hard culture, nice colleagues

Cons

Limited perks, limited career opps

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers and awesome location (NYC office).

I had a hard time finding a job straight out of school because it seemed like companies were all looking for someone with experience. My heart was set on getting into project management so it was a tough road for me. TLS (Transperfect Legal) gave me a chance and I've been here for 3 years now! I've learned so much and continue to learn something everyday.

Cons

It does get crazy at times but that obviously comes with the job of project management. Gotta keep the clients happy!

Advice to Management

Continue strengthening and encouraging your teams to make sure everyone's satisfied with their career. So far, so good! Keep it up.

"review"

Current Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TransPerfect (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair compensation, ability to relocate once you are more senior, flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Long hours, some bad management.

9. "Director, Business Development"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A ton of opportunity if you are a hungry salesperson. There are a ton of companies TransPerfect does not work with that you can go after.

Cons

There are a lot of companies that TransPerfect already has relationships with. There is also a lot of internal competition.

Advice to Management

Enforce territories more clearly.

10. "Interpreter"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Tempe, AZ

I worked at TransPerfect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are very nice and you get to meet a lot of people from all over the world.

Cons

No benefits, no PTO, no pay raises.

11. "Spanish Interpreter"

Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TransPerfect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible job hours
    Easy calls
    Great team

Cons

Complicated software
    Tedious clients
    Supervisors dont get along with workforce management