Arizona State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arizona State University Interview Questions

Interviews at Arizona State University

2.4

Desk Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Applied online at the university on-campus job site. Manager scheduled a phone screening within a week of application. If selected, called on-site to meet with manager and discuss shifts and responsibilities.

Senior Manager In Library Interview

Application

The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

It was fine. The committee ended up never confirming yea/nay on the job after I went through all the rounds with references contacted. It was very disheartening, but maybe I dodged a bullet with that kind of communication.

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Basic situational questions were asked. Calm environment, very comfortable. It was a one on one interview with a manager. They kept the interview friendly and not intimidating. The questions were similar to most customer service position questions. They want to know how well you work with others and if you’re overall personable.

Communications Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

My experience interviewing with ASU began positively, but ended on an extremely negative note. This account will surely be longer than others to hopefully bring light to their “organized interview practices”:

I had two amazing interviews with a “panel” of interviewers, which consisted of one phone interview and one video conference. The questions I was asked mainly focused on my experience, and emphasized how I’d preform in certain situations. I was not given any account from the interviewers during either interview regarding what, exactly, I’d be managing if hired for this role— however, this didn’t bother me as much as I now realize it should have. From the beginning, I was clear and upfront that I was a candidate that was relocating to the area from across the country, and the team seemed to be receptive of this and even excited for me. Up until my following unpleasant experience, I sincerely loved the team and thought we’d work well together.

The part where this turned negative was the fact that AFTER these two interviews, I was seen to be “disqualified” via my light quantifiable experience. I mean, my resume details my “years of experience” in full for the corporate positions I have previously worked, but I was asked by a director/coordinator of the department via email to send over an account of the “exact amount of hours and months” and “a summary of tasks completed” for my collegiate extracurricular roles in an attempt to ensure qualification for the “exact year requirement needed for the role per HR requirements”. Bonus: I was also asked to specify whether these roles- dubbed “volunteer roles” (ex: RA and sorority positions) had been “paid/unpaid”. I’d give a bit of leeway for a corporate office to mix up extra curriculars as potential ‘paid/unpaid’ positions, but this interview in question was for a role at a collegiate organization...which makes you wonder, “really?” One would hope that the "panel" had reviewed my credentials prior to the initial interview as my experience was said to be "great” for the role, but since I was later found to be a “year short” I was asked to give a detailed account of my extra curricular roles and their descriptions/tasks to try to “make up for the gap”. I found this practice odd and highly disorganized, but I complied as best I could.

These odd and somewhat insulting questions regarding my extra curricular activities “volunteer roles” were asked leading up to and ON my moving day via email from the director of the department. Throughout the process, it almost seemed as though jumping on a quick call to give this additional information was frowned upon so I was subjected to untimely and intrusive “back and forth” email chains that stretched this process out to the point (almost a month after the first interview) where I was unable to answer “ASAP” because I was literally in the middle of moving. I figured I’d answer this “moving day email” as soon as I had reached my destination just in case there were any additional arbitrary “follow up” back and forth emails to follow that I needed to respond to “ASAP”.

After 3 days of driving, I tried to respond as best as I could to the email sent to me on my moving day 1 business day earlier. In an attempt to set needed boundaries with this director, I also politely added that “if there were any other questions that needed to be answered ASAP on my part to move this process forward to please CALL ME” (as my wifi had not be set up yet and I needed time to unpack after my move.) This, I felt, implied that I (understandably) could not be glued to my email in order to focus on wrapping up my move to the area.

After this final reply politely asking for all future ASAP questions or communications to be directed to a call, my prior 3.5 weeks worth of effort were thrown out the window. These weeks featured two interviews, an odd “email only” reference check, and a very strange previously detailed back and forth of untimely and seemingly intrusive “final follow up questions” via email. I was then sent a generic rejection email from someone I had not even built rapport with in the panel of interviewers I had spoken with previously. This tactic felt extremely disingenuous and unappreciative of the time I had spent as an applicant who had shown "exactly what they were looking for."

In conclusion: My unpleasant experience interviewing with ASU seems to follow the negative experience of others who have shared a similar odd “cop out” is received late in the interview process- after everything seems to be at a stopping point. This “cop out” I personally experienced made the department I interviewed with seem extremely disorganized and unsure of what their hiring priorities/strategies were. Setting necessary communication boundaries is not applauded nor appreciated, I suppose (how ironic), when interviewing with ASU which makes me feel like I dodged a bullet in terms of actually working for this disorganized organization.

Interview Questions

• Describe a way you created a new “communication tactic” in your organization   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2020.

Interview

one day interview. first one hour presentation, then one hour with search committee, and then with senior faculty members one by one. roughly 5 hours in total. long but doable.

Event Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

15 minute phone interview to screen first round candidates. The people interviewing were friendly and polite. The questions were relevant to the position. They made clear that I could only be considered based on what I said in the interview. In this type of interview, it's important not to skim over your relevant experience.

Report Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in December 2019.

Interview

I first went through a phone interview, then in-person with the managers of the program, then about 2 weeks later I was found out I was hired from a phone call from the program manager. During the interviews I was asked behavioral interview questions and asked to explain past writing/graphic design experiences which I included in my application package.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What was your past graphic design experience?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Easy questions: applied online and got the interview. Interview was on time and the managers were very polite and good. Got the offer after a week.The interview process is a multi-stage process for hiring new employees. The interview process typically includes the following steps: writing a job description, posting a job, scheduling interviews, conducting preliminary interviews, conducting in-person interviews, following up with candidates and making a hire

Interview Questions

• What are key components in regression? Strength and weaknesses ? do you like to work in a team?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

There is a like rotational interview so you get to talk to people. Use a lot of examples and be genuine! They are looking for caring and authentic people that they can trust with a lot of responsibilities.

TA Interview

Interview

Very straightforward. Was referred to the position by a professor. Interview process consisted of filling out paperwork and ensuring that I met the minimum GPA requirements. Process took about two weeks.