Arizona State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arizona State University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 26, 2017

2.5

Desk Assistant Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process was very straight forward. You apply for the job. If you're qualified, you get an interview. From there it is all in your hands to make the best out of it.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Applied online. Took them about 4+ months to call me, but I now work there and see that is common.

Phone interview with several members of team. They usually ask about 4 or 5 situational questions. If you are familiar with STAR format, that is the system they follow. A week later I was called back for an in-person interview.

In person interview took place on campus. Panel included my potential supervisor, a member of the team, a person who was doing a job similar to the one I was interviewing for, and another member of the department I was interviewing with. Was called 2 weeks later with an offer. Pay was bottom of the range and firm - no negotiating possible. I accepted because I really wanted to work for ASU and haven't regretted it.

Random Tips:
    I have since been on several hiring committees at ASU and the experience outlined above is commonly how things work. The hiring managers like to have a mixture of individuals on the interview panels to get a more well-rounded opinion of the candidate and they will include people at all levels, not just manager-types. This being an organization that focuses heavily on student engagement and the ability to work with diverse populations, the focus is generally on how well-liked you will be and how easily you connect with people from various backgrounds/job levels. The questions will follow a STAR format and they will be grading you based on how well your response shows job-area knowledge and how your experience relates to the position. The questions themselves are not hard to answer and are very basic. What I have found through working with various committees is that they are mostly looking for someone who can easily do the job with little training, will be well-liked by both students and staff (i.e. have a positive attitude, show initiative, show that you are really excited to work with students and be part of a college environment..they really like positive, upbeat people and will refer constantly to the "energy" a person put forth in the interview) and has as much experience as possible. This is not the type of place, culturally, where they are looking to train someone who has never done the job...experience is key. Even if your experience is just as a student worker or through an internship, you should focus on how that experience will translate well into the position you're interviewing for. Before you go to the interview, really read the job description and think about ways that your experience relates to what they are looking for. They personally screen the resumes and will be looking for well-written cover letters that connect experience to the position they're hiring for. It's a very casual workplace and it's okay to show some personality but we have definitely had people who go overboard. Show that you are flexible, fun and able to get the job done. Remember that it is all about the students and helping them stay engaged and supported.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in a previous/current position that a process changed with very little notice and how you adapted to that change?   1 Answer
    • Please share with us a little about yourself and how this position fitting in your career path.   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The interview stretched across three days and included a reception just for me, attended by students and faculty, hosted by a faculty member at her home. The department chair heavily hinted that I'd be hearing from him with a job offer in the near future.

Interview Questions

• What about ASU attracts you as an applicant?   1 Answer

Student Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied for a job online through the ASU external application website. It looked like processing couple weeks, and I got the phone notice to go with the 45 min. interview in-person at ASU SSV building.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have dealt with the problem?   Answer Question

Web Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The interview process seemed very rushed with conflicting responses. They scheduled a short phone interview, followed by an interview next day and a response a few days later which seemed to contradict the hiring process based on the response provided during the interview. The process felt very staged. I personally found it highly unprofessional.

Laboratory Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The interview process was professional and very straight forward. It lasted about 30 minutes to 1 hour. They had an initial phone interview then a secondary 1:1 face interview and finally an interview with the entire team.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working in this lab?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

Skype interview based on some recommendation from a faculty from a different university to the interviewer who was a faculty at ASU. The professor wanted to make sure I have a deep understanding of the research I am doing and capable of doing research

Interview Questions

• Explain what your research paper was about. Plus more technical questions   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

They flew me out for an on-campus visit. The interview(s) consisted of casual meetings with most of the faculty and some time spent with other graduate students. I'm not sure if it was valuable to put candidates through a gauntlet-style round of 30-minute conversations covering many of the same topics when these could have been done as small group meetings, affording the time for more substantive discussions and experience on campus.

Interview Questions

• Typically asked very basic things about my area of research interest, interest in ASU, interest in pursuing graduate research.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator, Entrepreneurship Design Thinking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Process: 20 minute phone interview (4 people on the call, very rushed), and 2 hour in-person interview w/ a challenge and presentation to the 4 person review team

Result: After personally emailing me to set up the interviews, the hiring manager was unresponsive to follow-up emails after the second interview. Two weeks after interviewing, I received an automated do-not-reply email letting me know I would not be moving forward. Disappointing follow-up after a time intensive interview process.

OFFICE SPECIALIST Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Contacted me with an interview invitation around three weeks after close. Interview lasted approximately 30 mins.

Fairly relaxed interview in which I was asked around 7-9 behavioral questions relating to the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have dealt with a problem at work.   Answer Question