Capital One Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2018
3,453 Interview Reviews

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The entire process felt very well organized. It began with an on-site interview at college. After passing that, they drove us down to Richmond for a power day. There were 3 major parts; a case interview, a technical interview, and a Job fit.

Interview

online assessment 75 mins: 2 sql + 2 programming
    data challenge: HMDA data challenge
    onsite: 2 case study interviews + 1 data challenge presentation
    In the beginning of each round, you will be asked an EQ question (behavioral)

Interview Questions

• Be well prepared for case studies. Many people failed because of terrible business sense. I believe you can find all questions on glassdoor. So make sure to spend time collecting all info here.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA).

Interview

Straight forward questioning based off the STAR method. Each interviewer asked around 4 or 5 questions and I gave detailed responses to each. There wasn’t much back forth, it was all based off how I used a strategic approach and came to a specific outcome. Second to a large panel interview at a major tobacco company, this was one of the toughest interviews I’ve been on. My advice is review any and all material the recruiter sends over, work on specific examples for each question and expect the unexpected. While I did not receive an offer it was a tremendous learning experience and helps with very specific times when I had to use critical thinking solving complicated problems.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you had to conform to a company policy that you did not agree with ?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of how you overcome failure after planning a specific project that delivered less than desirable outcomes?   Answer Question

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Wasn't like any other i've seen on here. Thought it was just supposed to be a Phone screen with the Hiring Manager. But turned out to be two Senior devs.

They had pretty thick accents and their speaker phone kept have interference; making it hard to hear them.

Was quick introduction then into like 50 straight technical questions. No high level, conceptual ,leetcode programming problems or DS and Algorithms. Everything was extremely specific even about technologies/languages even some not on my resume.

Only feedback i got was ok, then next dev fired off another question.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY).

Interview

The usual interview process consists of 4 to 5 interviewers. Roughly half will be behavioral and the other will be technical.

In terms of what the interviews are like, the behavioral ones are just a a set of canned questions to determine that you are able to function as a human being.

The technical portion can vary significantly since it's just a random series of questions. If your interviewer is smart, your interview will be on the more difficult side. Mostly though, the interview process is fairly easy if you've done any work in the real world. The engineers that interviewed me were not very technical and knowledgeable. This resulted in a very easy interview.

If you want to work with the best and brightest, you will be disappointed. If I could lay off half the engineers there, I would.

This place advertises as a tech-oriented company but it's just fancy marketing to attract top talent. The turnover rate is extremely high here. Max career length for my team is 2 years with average being 6 to 9 months.

Process Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

- Initial telephone interview with recruiter
    - Online assessment - two parts
    - 3 in person interviews on Capital One campus

The initial telephone interview was to determine if I were a good match for the position and to obtain any additional information I needed about the job and company. Within two days, I received an email inviting me to take the skills assessment and within 24 hours I received confirmation that I successfully passed. The next phase consisted of a series of 1:1 interviews on the C1 campus where I was presented with three business cases for which I had to provide solutions in a behavioral interview/answer format. The proceeding interviews focused on my job skills, the team, and overview of C1. I walked away with a good impression and it was like they were wanted to impress and sell the position to me, which always is a good sign. It was a very pleasant experience and I'm happy I accepted the job offer (after negotiating salary for a win/win).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to manage a large scale project with limited resources, what actions did you perform to deliver project success and what issues did you face?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in May 2018.

Interview

The HR screening call, pretty informal, then Hackerrank coding questions, all very easy and straight-forward. After that, the technical phone interview, which is awful. The manager on the other end of the phone sounded very intense, unfriendly at all, and failed to clarify questions effectively--basically just repeated questions again and again without any helpful hints. I ended up with a feeling that even if I was given an offer, I would not want to work for him. The best part of this interview process was the HR, very friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• None statistical questions. Only one case study which has 10 follow-up questions on machine learning, data processing, and potential issues with data.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2018.

Interview

This is my first onsite interview. I was asked to do 2 case interviews, 1 role play interview and 1 behavior interview. After lunch, I did not get an additional interview which means a rejection...

Interview Questions

• The role play interview is the flight delay problem again.   1 Answer

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

First round was an HR interview and was mostly about describing yourself/ your resume.

Second round was a REST app project where Hackerrank test cases were used. Pretty simple project even if you've never used the tools before. You have 72 hours to complete it which is plenty of time.

Third round was a technical interview with the master software engineer. She asked around 12 questions ranging from front end tools to java tools. Lots of spring framework and basic java questions. Very easy questions and I answered 11/12 correctly.

Didn't get any further even though I felt it went really well and wasn't really given a reason besides the generic we've decided to proceed with other candidates. Everyone was super friendly.

Universal Branch Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

Easy and kind process. Got back to me in a timely manner. Good company. Make sure you know what you want. Do well because the interview matters! Have a good day.