Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 11, 2017

2.5

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Informally met to discuss possible research opportunities. We reviewed previous projects that people have done, and discussed what kinds of projects that I would be involved in. Met some members of the lab.

General Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Referred by a current staff memeber. One on one interview with manager on site. Extremely comfortable environment. Got tour of facilities immediately. Overall very positive experience with staff and management.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you have experienced, either given or recieved exceptional customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

10-15 minute phone call where PI discussed their research and asked questions regarding my interest and availability. This was followed by a 20 minute in-person panel interview, where I was asked about my background, future goals, and tested on my Spanish proficiency.

Interview Questions

• What position are you most proud of?

What is your biggest professional weakness?

How would you deal with a patient who is not fully aware of the research goals?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Today, many companies have an involved interview process starting with screening interviews, which often take place on the phone, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews, and even third interviews. In addition to a hiring manager, you make meet with managers, employees, and other staff.

Interview Questions

• In addition to a hiring manager, you make meet with managers, employees, and other staff.   1 Answer

Admin Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

very quick, simple. Questions were basic. I didnt go in with any prepared form of how to answer the questions. I met with two individuals who were very easy going and the interview was more conversational. They wanted to get to know me to see how I'd fit in with the atmosphere of the workplace

Interview Questions

• Availability, Summer plans, Interest   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cresskill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (Cresskill, NJ).

Interview

Overall it was positive but the process was too long. In total I was invited 3 times and had 7 interviews. Looks like it's a lengthy process across the organization.

Senior Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewed by phone with hiring manager, 2nd interview with technical person. Interview was very casual and chatty. Technical issues were covered.
    I later traveled to NY (no travel reimbursement) to interview in person. I met with several members of the team and the hiring manager. This was basically 5 hour long interviews.

Hiring manager checked my references, slowly. Eventually, I received an offer from the hiring manager. This was contingent on a background check and reference from my current employer.

I provided all this and there were innumerable delays, eventually resulting in me declining their "formal" offer.
    Process was way slower then I anticipated.

Interview Questions

• Various technical questions and standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Network Technician Interview

Interview

It is more important to connect with the interviewer who will be one of your supervisors than to truly prepare for any questions they might ask. Learning how to use Nagios, VersionGet or having a general understanding of Network operations

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.
    phone interview followed by an on-site interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Talked about my future plan, current research interests, why I was interested in the lab. There were also a few other behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Research Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got an email back from the PI a week later and scheduled a Skype interview the following week. He was very friendly and the interview was easy and conversational, but the position ended up going to someone with more experience.