Columbia University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2018

2.5

Construction Administrator Interview

Interview

This was a first interview - I'd been referred by a recruiter for intermediate- to senior-level architect position. Met with an Associate, it turned out that we'd worked at similar offices - but at different times. It was a good, brief & informative interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you've worked on....   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

The initial application was about 3 months before the interview, and then the interview process consisted of one 30 minute telephone interview. Then there was a 1/2 day interview with different groups within department. Offer was made within 2 weeks of interview, and then started a few weeks later. Everything was very professional.

Interview Questions

• What is going to be the most challenging for you in this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No real negotiation. Tried to negotiate salary, and they suggested that there was no room for more.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

Phone screening followed by in person interview with hiring committee, then an all-staff interview. Finally, phone interview with the Dean.

Interview Questions

• Sitting before the entire staff to answer their questions was daunting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation opportunities very minimal

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

Four months from day of application to start date. Received initial call for a phone screening two months after I applied. HR phone screening followed by hiring manager phone screen. The in person interview will take two to three hours. Expect to meeting multiple members of the hiring team as well as cross functional partners during the in person interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiate the salary before you are hired because can expect cost of living increases thereafter.

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. There was a phone screen and then an interview with a group of directors. I interviewed in November . Everyone was friendly and fairly prompt with responses, until after the interview. I followed up a week or so after the interviewers claimed they'd have a decision. No response. I learned they filled the position by going to their website. This was in March so about 3-4 months after I interviewed.

I found this incredibly unprofessional. While at this point I didn't expect have the job, it would have been nice to have known this earlier. It has soured my opinion on them.

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University in May 2017.

Interview

Basic phone screening interview; a bit difficult with multiple people on speaker phone but otherwise good. Standard questions regarding background and experience, no pointless questions and otherwise nothing unexpected.

Interview Questions

• Asked for examples of time when you encountered a difficult situation, etc. and other questions of a similar format.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cresskill, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (Cresskill, NJ).

Interview

Overall it was positive but the process was too long. In total I was invited 3 times and had 7 interviews. Looks like it's a lengthy process across the organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I was referred to the position by someone else. That referral then referred me to HR, which I honestly found to be a little clumsy. If I'm referred directly to the hiring manager, then why does HR need to reach first? Nonetheless, I got invited for an interview with all parties involved. Pretty standard interview that took a couple hours. Salary was a lot lower than expected though, and I was told they were in the beginning stages, so the process was just getting started. In my experience, that's a red flag because they're basically telling you "you won't hear from us for a while." As it turns out, 2 months later and still no response. Poor communication and lack of professionalism. Based on this process, I'm guessing this department of the University is managed in a toxic way. This type of poor communication tends to be indicative of a larger problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Applied for part-time developer in CUIT. Sent a email with resume and got replied in 2 business days. Then got a onsite interview with some of their development team. People are nice.

Interview Questions

• No coding questions. Asked something about projects and some SQL questions.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

Excellent, Dr Arthur Bank at the Bank lab had confidence in me as a freshman, and I gained Lab Experience.