Gap Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2018
1,381 Interview Reviews

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Easy. I went in and we sat in the backroom, he asked me a long series of questions. It was formal but I also felt comfortable, like we were just having a conversation, because he was smiling and laughing with me.

Interview Questions

• How do you value diversity? Why do you want to work for gap/in retail?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

Very pleasant experience! He told me right from the beginning that he did not want to waste my time with a 45 minute interview. I got there 15 minutes early and the interview started about 5 minutes later. Even though it felt like an eternity, from start to finish, it was no more than 20 minutes. As for the interview itself, I'm one of those people who likes to try to "study" for the interview, but with the GAP interview, there's really no need to. The questions are simple, open ended questions. (You could EASILY just make something up if you truly don't know, haha)
    The Strangest part of the interview, was that he made me go onto the floor, pick out an outfit (3-4 pieces of clothing) - like pants, shirt, etc, and just kinda explain why I chose the outfit. He also asked me how I would justify the higher prices of GAP.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe GAP clothing? (EX: Casual, trendy, etc)   Answer Question
    • How would you describe your personal style   Answer Question
    • What Stores is GAP affiliated with   1 Answer
    • What is the general price range of gap?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about some of your previous work experiences relating to this job   Answer Question
    • How would you greet/approach the customer on the sales floor?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle working with someone you don't like.   1 Answer

Head of Brand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Gap (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Short sharp and excellent with expectation of giving a presentation. Had time to prep for the presentation and review it. The topic was a case study of a time that I had success in a campaign.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when...   1 Answer

Stock Assosite Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

They Had me waiting for over an hour and once I had my interview, it only lasted less than 5 minutes. Even if they'll call back, I will not accept the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous job. That's all they asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Gap (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

I was interviewed by one of the managers, but beforehand, I was told to write down my availability. I was then asked a few questions, but she didn't drill me at all. It was honestly quite comfortable, and we shared our own nightmarish incidents with stores we had worked for prior to Gap. The store was pretty busy due to holiday returns, but the other manager had joined in on the interview, but honestly, we just shared simple conversation about customer service.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion, what does customer service mean?   1 Answer
    • Why choose Gap?   1 Answer
    • What does it mean to up-sale?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gap.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy. It was a one on one interview with one of the hiring managers, I thought it was gonna be a group interview. I applied online and got a call back few weeks later to come in for an interview. After the interview she told me that I would definitely be hearing from her but weeks went by and I think a month later I got a call to come in for orientation. I thought it was a little weird.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Five words to describe yourself?
      What is customer service to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gap (Hillsboro, TX).

Interview

I was interviewed at the same time as another candidate, which made the experience a little strange. I was 16 at the time and this was my first interview for a retail store. The interview included questions with terminology that I didn't understand yet, which made it challenging.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you have that are relevant to the position you're applying for?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gap in January 2018.

Interview

Two days after applying, I received a email offering me to come in for an interview. I got to choose from 5 different time slots over the next week. When I showed up, there were two other applicants, so we had a group interview with the Assistant Manager. Each of us would pick a question from a jar, answer it, and let the other applicants answer. We did this for a total of 12 questions, which lasted about a hour. It was more more of a conversation than an interview. Two days later, I got an email with a job offer. If I could offer any advice, it would to be prepared and be yourself!

Interview Questions

• Describe a disagreement you had with a previous manager and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • Which of your past bosses are your favorite and why?   Answer Question
    • How long were you with your previous employer and why did you leave?   Answer Question
    • Who is your favorite designer? Who do you look up to for fashion inspiration?   Answer Question
    • Availability?   Answer Question
    • Why Gap? Why this particular location?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the last time you RECEIVED good customer service. What made it good?   Answer Question
    • What makes a good sales associate?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with working with someone you don't like?   Answer Question
    • What comes to mind when you think of Gap clothing?   Answer Question

Inventory Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Gap (Saint Louis, MO) in January 2018.

Interview

30 min interview that started with general questions about me, and then transitioned to one analytical question, and finished up by seeing if I had any questions. They let me know 3 weeks later. Very friendly and calming interviewer who truly seemed to enjoy her job.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you took initiative.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a time that you experienced failure.   Answer Question
    • There was an especially well selling jacket this year and there are only 50,000 units left. How do you distribute them?   Answer Question
    • Why retail? Why Gap?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst, Corporate Strategy Interview

Interview

I reached out to the recruiter via email because the Taleo system used is a black hole. The recruiter then said he would send the hiring manager my resume. After a few days of not hearing back, I reached out. The recruiter said the hiring manager was looking for someone with a slightly different background. That really made no sense to me seeing as I have the management consulting experience they’re looking for, in line with their job description, etc. So, I don’t really understand their reasoning- unless they're only looking for Big 3 experience, but in that case they should have stated it outright. I was primarily interested in Gap because I’m interested in retail. But their corporate strategy group and/or their recruiter seem to have a nonsensical filtering process. Typically if you reach out to a recruiter you know that you're a very close match to the job description and if there isn't a match I would assume recruiters tell you. As such, at they very least you're scheduled for a first round with the hiring manager as a result of reaching out.