Gartner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 20, 2018

3.5

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Irving, TX).

Interview

I’ve had VERY bad experiences with Gartner interview processes, specifically the recruiters. One particular recruiter reached out to me requesting a call and then he NEVER SHOWED up!! That was back in August, I was annoyed but forgot about it until recently in January when he reached out to me again requesting a call. Silly me for not recognizing his name but yet again we scheduled a call and he NEVER SHOWED UP again! Even when I followed up with him he didn’t respond. The blatant disrespect is shocking to me.

I then got paired up with a different recruiter (I have a friend who works for Gartner and put my name in for a recommendation). She actually showed up to the initial call, but she didn’t send me some information I needed for my next interview and never confirmed it. Small stuff, I understand people forget things, but when I followed up the morning that I THOUGHT my interview was she never responded. She didn’t even respond until a day after the interview, which i personally found very rude.

I think Gartner has a lot of potential from my perspective but this has been a nightmare just trying to get their recruiters to treat me civilly and it’s put a very bad taste in my mouth about the company.39 much so, I no longer am interested in working there.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to sell a client on something or they were looking to you for advice.   Answer Question

Senior Human Resources Business Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Stamford, CT).

Interview

Phone screen—good recruiter.
    In-house interview with the hiring manager and “ HR for HR”.

My recommendation is when HR jobs are open for over a year, that you look at the interview team and make some changes. It seems like the low caliber of talent is blocking top talent from wanting to join.
    Bloated team. Weak HR BPs.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wells, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (Wells, ME).

Interview

I have been in this industry for almost 20 years. This experience rates in the top 2 negative processes ( actually there was no process) No response or followup after telling me that not only was the recruiter impressed with my qualifications for the job that I applied for. But she had submitted my credentials for another role that she thought I would be good for as well.

Interview Questions

• "Can you tell me about your background" ? No problem even though she was looking at my resume and referencing it earlier in the conversation. Had a second call with the exact same person . The call was to discuss the additional role that I had been submitted for without my knowledge. Guess how she started the conversation... "Can you tell me about your background" I politely reminded her that we had already had this conversation? Even thoughI had not heard back from the recruiter, I received an email congratulating me for moving on to the next step in the process. The background check. I was a bit surprised because I had yet to have an interview with the hiring manager. Anyway, I was asked to review and confirm my information and submit. The problem was that there were a couple minor errors having to do with my home address but when I went to correct the issues and submit them. My credentials had already been submitted, In this status. I was prevented from making any changes. When I reached out to the screener and who I believe was her supervisor her. I never got a response.
      Truly shocked at the lack of professionalism from Gartner. HR I had always been a big fan of Gartner. I'd used their data in sales presentations etc. I will continue to do so. But with almost 20 years of channel experience...I'm amazed that I was treated this way. You can't make this up!   Answer Question

Business Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

The first round is the recruiter interview. The recruiter asked about my understanding of Gartner's business and some other basic questions. The second round is composed of two interviews, one behavioral interview, and one case interview. The third round is composed of four back-to-back interviews, one case and three behavioral interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. Recruiter:
      - What do you know about Gartner
      2. Second round: one behavioral interview, one case interview
      3. Third round: 3 behavioral interviews, one case interview

The structure of the case interviews is similar to the ones in the typical casebooks. The business problems are related to Gartner's core business.   1 Answer

Client Partner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Gartner.

Interview

Although they say there are 3 interviews, it is 4. The first 3 are by phone, the final is an in-person interview. The first call you get is a 'feel out' call from a recruiter or their admin. They ask you some general questions such as 'why do you want to leave the job you are currently in' and so on. It was short and informal. From there you will move through each interview generally scheduled a week apart.
    The second interview is with the recruiter. They will ask questions to feel out your work ethic and personality. Following the STAR format is essential for each example, they will be looking for that, as well for it to be explained with quantifiable numbers, if applicable. Ask for feedback (which they will give regardless I'm sure), because they will look for that feedback to be applied in the next interview.
    The third (official) interview is with two area managers that were in the CP position before, and now manage a group of CP's. They will ask the same type of questions as the recruiter as well as follow up with their own related to the previous. Again, it is relatively standard, nothing scary, just follow the STAR format for answering and you will do fine. Be precise with examples and detailed on outcomes.
    Once you get passed the third interview, you will come in for the fourth interview which will be a panel interview. It sounds much more intimidating than it really is. There will be 3-4 people in the room other than yourself and including your recruiter. You sit down in a conference room and introduce yourself, speak briefly and open up with a short PowerPoint presentation about yourself and why Gartner should hire you. After that, you will do a mock phone call for 10-15 minutes, you will get a short scenario and they want you to play it out. See how you are on the phone.
    But do not stress! Everyone has a great attitude (from my experience) and want to make you feel comfortable, they understand it is a long interview process and do not want to bog you down with more stress so feel good and confident going in! They love confident people that are ready to sell themselves as to why Gartner should hire them!
    The interview process is long and can make it stressful but my advice is to relax and have that understanding going into your first interview that the process takes some time.
    Gartner is a great company that wants to train new people and build internally. They take in people with all sorts of backgrounds which makes the environment and people you work with interesting, It is nice to work around smart, motivated people so be ready to come in and work!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you struggled in your job. How did you get through it, what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Customer Relations Interview

Interview

STAR Interview style. First two interviews are over the phone then it will eventually lead to an on-site. They are fairly good with matching you to an open position if they like you.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you've faced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Director of Consulting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY).

Interview

A joke is the only description for the interview process. Gartner contacts me via LinkedIn begging for me to join their growing consulting firm. I interview. On second interview the recruiter tells me "Wow you had a quick career climb now didn't you... you may be interviewing against others with more experience than you just so you know..." And??? Talk about age discrimination. I felt discriminated against throughout the entire interview process. Constantly making remarks about my age - yet you recruited me to interview?!?! Interviewed over 4 months and finished with a 3 hours panel presentation, which I crushed. It's what I do. I reconnect a few days after the panel and I'm told we will chat "tomorrow to discuss compensation". When we connect I'm informed they screwed up and lost the Job ID... sorry maybe we can hire you sometime in 2018?!??! Ummm... How about No?!?! You definitely won't hire me in 2018 after you displayed how you treat potential human capital. I would hate to see how you treat employees - especially after my cousin who works at Gartner mentioned layoffs. A blessing in disguise if you ask me. Stay clear of their consulting group - they act like they want to compete with the big consulting groups - but they couldn't be more immature in their processes. Not to mention I was discriminated against due to my age. Should I have apologized for accelerating my career faster than the recruiter felt was "normal"? I've worked for 2 of 4 Big4 firms and this was by far the strangest experience I've heard of or come across when it comes to interviewing. And I've had some interesting ones.

Interview Questions

• Nothing... I asked them questions. I could tell they were clueless in recruiting top talent like myself. I am thankful the deal fell through in hindsight.   Answer Question

Sales- SMB Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Fort Myers, FL).

Interview

The interview process started with an informative call, then an hour long interview call, followed by a video interview. This video interview included a sales role play. After these three rounds, there is a final interview day at their headquarters in Fort Myers. While I did not make it to the final round, I was transferred to interview for the client partner role. This means the process will start all over again.

Interview Questions

• What is a time when you were faced with a challenge that you had to overcome?   Answer Question
    • What is an accomplishment you are most proud of?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Gartner (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was incredibly drawn out and lasted in total 6 weeks. I went through with the process due to the positive reviews I've read on Gartner but be prepared to spend some time with this company. Interview included four steps, one with HR, a phone interview, an in person interview and then a panel interview. All of the interview steps were straightforward aside for the panel interview which is basically a crapshoot and can be taken in any direction. If you are interviewing with this company I would ask a lot of questions and be very clear about what the hiring managers are looking for in the final step.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about your sales process and philosophy?   Answer Question

Gartner Invest - Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Gartner (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

This was a cattle call of sorts. An open house with a few newly promoted sales managers (former sales superstars), as well as 2 HR/Recruiter contacts, 3 current account executives and about 14-16 prospective Account Executives,

There was a very nice cocktail hour, as well as a presentation by the Sales and Operations VP and the ability to mingle with Gartner employees afterwards. We were told that it was a highly selective group of which we were basically told we were fortunate to be selected.

At risk of violating the "Community Guidelines," of Glassdoor, I will say that the room was dominated by white men between the ages of 25-35. There were also five white women - four of which were already with Gartner Invest (two of whom were recruiters/HR) . I stood out because of who I am, as I am not white, nor a woman (who were all white) and definitely out of the aforementioned age range - older. Frankly, it almost felt as if I was there to help with their EEOC guidelines/statistics. I mention this because although I felt it went well and there was an enjoyable night, it very much felt like they were looking for white men who were younger than 35. If they're not careful, this is a lawsuit waiting to happen as the managers - specifically Area Sales Managers - did not have more than 18 months of experience in the position. One of them was literally in the position for a month. Congrats to him, but if you have several inexperienced sales managers who were promoted simply because they were great salespeople, it doesn't bode well for the organization. It was a bit of a red flag.

One manager asked me in a bit of a suspicious/condescending tone - "How did you find out about this event?" As if he were surprised I made it through - despite being well qualified, if not over qualified for the position. At that point, the evening took a bit of a darker turn and I wasn't so sure if I was going to make it through. I did not feel welcome at this event at this point.

This was a basic meet and greet for Gartner. I did my best to speak with the various Gartner employees, but did not leave with a feeling that I had accomplished my goal of moving forward to the next stage of the hiring process.

The following day I followed up with all of the Gartner contacts whom I had met. Which was significant, as it was about half the room - about 10 people or so. After what I thought was a very good event and some feedback and contact with a few of the Gartner employees, I wasn't surprised that I was not contacted to move on to a one on one interview and start the hiring process. However, I was disappointed. After a week of no contact after my follow up, I decided to follow up with my HR contact directly and asked about how I would find out if was moving forward in the hiring process. I was told by my HR/Recruiting contact:

"We would love to keep in touch for any future opportunities we have on this team and any other team at Gartner. Look forward to staying connected with you going forward!"

In so many words the HR contact said "Thank you but no thank you. We are passing on you." Which frankly I would have appreciated a bit more directness in the communication, but I realize if I didn't follow up again, I probably would not have heard at ALL from the HR person. She probably needs a little work in rejecting/working with prospective employees.

While I thought the night went well, apparently it didn't go well enough for me to move on in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• So, taking away your skills with networking and prospecting, how do you get sales? What do you do when you don't have any more tricks in your bag - so to speak?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself....   Answer Question
    • How did you find out about this event?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to be at Gartner? What makes you different?   Answer Question
    • How did you find out about this event?   Answer Question