Google Associate Account Strategist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

3.4

146 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

After you're contacted by a recruiter he/she will set up an initial call that's about 15-20 minutes. That first discussion is really just to get to know you a bit and make sure you're qualified to move forward. Be prepared to answer why you're interested in this job specifically (not just because it's google) and why google (the perks alone probably isn't the best answer).

Round 2 is 2 30 minute phone interviews with a manager and current Associate Account Strategist that involve behavioral and hypothetical questions. You're given info on what that means and how to prepare but basically behavioral is "tell me about a time when..." and hypothetical is "what would you do in xyz scenario?" Preparing for the behavioral is time consuming if you're really looking to nail them but not difficult. What I recommend is looking at the job posting and writing down all the traits/skills they're looking for, then turn those into potential questions to prepare for. For example, if the job says they're looking for someone who's creative, then be prepared to answer, "tell me about a time when you came up with a creative solution to a problem." Prepare for about 10-15 of these and eventually you'll realize you have a handful of practiced stories that can be applied to multiple types of these questions. Definitely practice these out loud before your interviews and don't expect to be able to read a story pre written on the spot. For the hypotheticals it's more about your thought process than your answer. Just try to be natural, confident and enthusiastic.

For me the more prepared I was the more relaxed I felt and the more I was able to have fun with the interviews while still conveying my relevant qualifications and competence. You'll also be expected to have a basic knowledge of adwords (also look up Adsense just because you should know the difference) but I didn't get any direct questions about these. It's just good to know beforehand. Remember, this is about getting to know you not whether or not you're an expert in their topics yet so don't go nuts studying this. You're not expected to be an adwords expert. After round 2, you go to the office and have 2 30 minute onsite interviews (same question types and prep as the previous round). Make sure you have good questions ready for all rounds, and consider asking something that gets the interviewer to open up a bit. For example, "what's the coolest project you've gotten to work on at google?" Or "what do you think is the toughest thing about this job?" Try to get them thinking, sharing, and seeing you as someone interesting to speak with. After that round, you're info goes to the hiring committee, which objectively reviews all your interviewed feedback and resume. That takes about a week. The whole process start to finish is about 6 weeks but my recruiter was incredible in speeding up the process because I had other interviews simultaneously. I told her right away that because google was my first choice I wanted to move through the process as quickly as possible before getting an offer from someone else. She absolutely could of have been better about that. I cannot say enough good things about googles recruitment process. From start to finish, they work with you and give you all the info you need right away. Also, my recruiter was so great about answering all my questions and acting as a supportive cheerleader throughout the process. Such a strong recruitment team and I am so grateful!

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

The overall process was clear and smooth. I have been referred by my friend and in few days they called me. After the first phone interview, there was sales mock pictch one followed by a video chat with three different people.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your previous experience and how it may contribute to this current position   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2017.

Interview

I used glassdoor A LOT for my interviews so I'm going to be as specific as legally possible. So I applied for the Associate Account Strategist position online. Then the very next day a recruiter reached out to me, which was suprising to me because I thought that the online process was pretty much a black hole and no one would ever see my resume. Anyways, the recruiter reached out me and asked to set up a phone screening. Five days later, we had the conversation and it was very basic level "why google?" "why this position?" and a brief run through of my resume. A few hours after the conversation, my recruiter said that they wanted to move forward. So we set up a back-to-back phone call with someone currently in the role and a manager five days later. This interview was a bit more specific to my experience and many times started with the words "tell me about a time when..." which I had definitely prepared for based on Glassdoor questions and materials the recruiter had given me. I had prepared for these conversations for about 8-10 hours, by the way. Both conversations went very well and the next day he got back with me to schedule two onsite interviews. Six days later, I met the Google team onsite - I was extremely nervous. I prepared even more with the materials the recruiter gave me and went over everything again in the hotel the night before. I showed up and waited in the lobby and the manager came and met me. We went on brief tour of the building which was actually very cool but I could feel my nerves building. My onsite interviews were...okay. The first went pretty rough...the manager asked VERY specific hypothetical questions to understand how I think and strategize when faced with a difficult task. I thought I handled most of his questions alright but I felt PRETTY flustered! Plus, when I'm nervous, I ramble... The second interview with my "peer" went great. I had answers to all the questions, the interviewer was engaging and interesting and I really enjoyed it. This was one of the few times I was asked about Adwords/digital advertising. After my interview, I was escorted out and waited what felt like years for the recruiter to get back with me on whether I would be moving forward. Actually, I'm being dramatic. Once again, he got back with me the very next day to tell me that they wanted to move forward in presenting my candidacy to the hiring committee. He had a few additional employment questions and then he presented my candidacy four days later. The hiring committee got back to my recruiter six days later and he got back with me that same day to present my offer. In preparation, I would not prep for off the wall crazy questions. I would focus on digital advertising, why you like THIS role, and how your skills translate to help you succeed in the role. Overall, the process was very fast and my recruiter did a fantastic job keeping in contact with me. I also really appreciated things like paying my expenses off within 3 days of me filling out the form and how incredibly friendly everyone was!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a Google employee to this position. A recruiter got back to me in about a week to set up an initial phone screening. Later that week we had the call, it was very brief (about 15 minutes) and she mainly talked a bit for about the role itself (Global Customer Experience, not sales) and asked me about my experience (resume walkthrough type of thing) and one "tell me about a time when.." question. My recruiter was awesome and at the end of this chat she said she wanted to set me up for two more phone interviews with members of the team I would be joining.

Here is where it got interesting. They send you a rather lengthy email describing Google's interview procedures, how to prepare, and a bunch of links to information related to products knowledge (AdWords in this case). So in preparation for this interview I spent about half of my time getting very familiar with the product, and half of my time with general cognitive ability and hypothetical situation prep. This position was a bit of a stretch for my previous experience so I had to work really hard to come up with supporting evidence that I would be a good fit for the role.

The phone interviews were 30 minutes, back-to-back. My first interview was with someone who had been there a few years in a role similar to what I would have been in, and the second interview was with a manager. To start, there were zero product knowledge questions asked (not to say your interview won't have them, just know mine didn't). They were 90% "tell me about a time when.." questions, and 10% hypothetical situations. I did ok in the first interview and recovered with a good explanation as to why I wanted the job. The second interview did not go so well. In particular there was on hypothetical question asked where we were on completely different pages about and it made for an unfortunate vibe to the whole interview.

In the end, as I said my previous experience was a stretch for this role, and my difficulties came from having relatively weak experience examples when they asked "tell me about a time when." I was expecting a lot more product knowledge based on the prep information I was given, and I was also expecting more personality related questions or Googleyness. However, I prepared as best I could and overall it was a really good experience. Naturally a couple days later my recruiter called me with some bad news, but I want to stress how awesome she was and everyone involved (minus one unenthusiastic interviewer) made it a really smooth process. They really do everything they can to help you get the job because A.) they selected YOU because they like you, and B.) it is in their own best interest to have their candidate receive an offer because it looks good on their part. So everyone is on the same page.

The key here is confidence, personality, and preparation. When talking to your recruiter you should sound like there is no other job in the world for you, and just be yourself. When preparing for the phone interviews, do a little product knowledge prep, but really nail down those situational answers. Just google typical interview questions and answer as many of them as you can. You will be asked questions you have not come across so just stay calm, be confident in your response, and ask for a moment to think if you need it (my recruiter highly encouraged this). They will poke and prod at your answers so be prepared to go into detail. Getting caught up in a weak response is the best way to not make it through. They want to see your methodology for problem solving, there is no right answer, just the best one you can come up with.

Again, stay calm, be confident, and prepare those situational responses, I guarantee you will have a better fate than I did. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• I signed a NDA so I can't reveal exact questions. It doesn't matter anyway, each interview is different, just google most common interview questions and nail down as many as you can (at least for phone interview stage)   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

The initial interview process wasn't too difficult. I had a phone screening and then had to schedule two back to back phone interviews. A few behavioral and critical thinking questions were in the initial screening but it was mostly generic questions. Anything on your resume is fair game.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online. The next day, a recruiter reached out to me for transcripts/potential interview times. After submitting the request information from the recruiter I was told she would then pass it off to the hiring team for a decision. After about five days, I heard back from the recruiter saying that the hiring team decided not to interview me.

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online, then had a phone screening (brief interview), two back to back phone interviews, then two back to back in person interviews. Then, your application is submitted to a committee review stage, and a final decision is made.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral based questions as well as some critical thinking questions involving the role. I signed an NDA, so I will not disclose specifics.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone screen, 2 phone interviews (30 minutes each), 2 onsite interview (one 2v1, one 1v1), hiring committee. Unfortunately, I did not make it past the onsite interviews. Recruiters quick to return decisions within one week. They are helpful in sending information for your 2 phone interviews. I was kind of thrown off on my onsite 2v1 interview. I thought it would been more product knowledge but it wasn't and increased my nerves. Experience for an individual is different. Don't rely solely on Glassdoor for interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA so cannot discuss questions but can say its mainly product knowledge, hypothetical situations, behavioral. They want to see how you think..   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Ann Arbor, MI) in March 2016.

Interview

The process was very quick. They flew me to Ann Arbor, but oddly enough I had a skype interview while there. I enjoyed my 2 days in Ann Arbor and the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Sell me something, anything.   1 Answer

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google in March 2016.

Interview

Very positive interview experience! Google really makes the extra effort to provide the applicant with resources necessary for a great experience.

The interview process:
    1. Recruiter Phone Screen
    2. Phone Interviews
    3. On-site Interviews

After the phone screen, I had two phone interviews. One with a member of the team I applied for, and the next was with the Manager.

The on-site interviews were in a similar format. 1:1 with a member of the team, followed by a 1:1 with a manager.