Google Visual Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Google Visual Designer Interview Questions

3.4

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The HR people that work at Google are truly wonderful. Everyone I met or talked to was enthusiastic and encouraging, and they are a real credit to the company. The designers and researchers I met were a different story.

I applied online on a whim, and ended up going through the whole process - which has been described here numerous times so I’ll be brief. I started with an initial phone call from a recruiter, which wasn’t really an interview and more of a ‘hey, how’s it going’ call. My portfolio was strong enough to skip me past the one on one phone interview with a designer and I was given a test project and questionnaire to fill out. The test project was nothing special, a little silly, and was actually kinda fun to complete. Apparently they liked my project, because I was then flown out to Mountain View for an onsite interview. This is where everything fell apart.

I’ve been told that Google has an amazing campus, but you could have fooled me. Mountain View is nothing special - a typical suburb but with 10x the traffic. On the day of my interview I was ushered into a bleak, dark office building - bad carpet, drop ceilings, no windows - and basically locked in a closet like conference room all day. There I gave an hour long presentation and then had a series of five one on one interviews.

The one on one interviews were less like interviews and more like interrogations - there was very little interaction and little to no enthusiasm from anyone. They ask questions and write down your answers. That’s it. One guy didn’t make eye contact with me the entire time he was there. I got the impression that they were all very pleased with themselves for working at Google even though it was hard to get a straight answer about what they actually do all day.

Nothing about the interviews was too difficult but be prepared to answer every pretentious design question in the book. Google may be making strides in their creative departments but it was clear to me that they are still very much driven by engineers. It seemed that they want their designers to be part scientist, which is fine, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of room for the creative process or spontaneity.

There was one interviewer that I really enjoyed. This guy was quite clearly a ‘closer’ - very charming, personable, friendly. In the last 15 minutes of my interview he went on a rant about how inefficient google is and how frustrating it is to work there, which was pretty enlightening and confirmed a lot of the impressions I had gotten in earlier interviews. It was the highlight of my day because I felt like I was actually talking to a human being and not a google-bot.

After the onsite interview they compile all of the answers you gave and send it on to an independent hiring committee who decides if they will extend you an offer. I didn’t make it past the committee and was honestly relieved that the process was over after two months of stress and preparation.

My main takeaways from this experience were a new found appreciation for my current job and living situation and a more realistic view of Google as a company. Never meet your heroes!

Interview Questions

• What is your design superpower?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Google

Visual Designer Interview

Interview

Great and friendly interview laying out expected jobs within my team. My portfolio was reviewed and I was given various question on what I enjoy within design. They laid out some sites that had been previously made and how I would re organize them. They also showed me a contact form and asked me to reorganize the UI.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your strengths and weaknesses within design.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I asked a friend in Google to refer me internally,
    Short after I received a rejection email for the position, while receiving another email from a recruiter who suggested to pass my resume to another group. I agreed happily!
    They contacted me a few days later and scheduled a phone interview with a designer. Everything was neatly managed and seemed very professional.
    They called me at the exact time they were supposed to call.

Visual Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

First round phone interview with the company's recruiter, then a phone interview with a designer, and then a design test. Consider passing all three rounds, they'll then fly you to the headquarter for two rounds of in-person interview.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The entire process took about 3 months. couple rounds of phone interviews, a design exercise, which determines the eligibility to an on-site interview. If you have a referral you might be able to skip a couple of these rounds and receive the design prompt. Only present your best 3 projects instead of going through too many projects that are not relatable.

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, followed by a lunch meeting, followed by a day of interviews.

1. Phone interview:
    A standard discussion about portfolio of work, interests, experience and design processes. With a few questions specifically about the area/project I was applying for. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my design competency.

2. Lunch Meeting:
    Met hiring manager and team director for lunch on-campus. We talked very casually, again about my work, the project I was applying to work on, and more about design systems and projects management. The main purpose seemed to be to gauge my personality and compatibility with Google culture.

3. Day of interviews:
    Presented a homework assignment and portfolio presentation to a group of designers, project managers, researchers and engineers, none of whom where on the team I was applying to join (this is a strategic thing). About 8 people in total. Then, had individual 1 hour interviews with a few of them, each focussing on different areas of connection they would have with a designer like me. In other words, the researcher asked me about design testing, the engineer asked about optimization of assets and flow, the project manager asked about how to deal with conflicting opinions and settle on a good decision, and the designers set me a mini design challenge.

There were no trick questions or brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• As a designer the question I was most unprepared for was asked by an engineer who referred a UX flow I had presented. He then proceeded to go through it with me one step at a time and asked very specific technical questions about what happens on the back end, what transitions happened and questioned why a smile flow was broken into so many steps... It was the most challenging interview I had ever experienced, but made me really think more holistically about UX design afterwards.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did negotiate somewhat and it turned out well.

Visual Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Google.

Interview

Very friendly interview-- Google does a good job making you feel like they want to hire you! They asked for a phone interview to get some general background information about me and then moved on to a technical interview where they asked me about some more of my experience and then more specifically about some of their products.

Interview Questions

• Some unexpected, specific questions about Google products   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me in June to schedule a phone screening. A week or two went by and I had my first initial screening with the recruiter to determine if I had the basic necessary qualifications to handle the job. After i passed my screening I had to send in my portfolio to be screened by a committee. After another week, I was informed that I passed the portfolio screening and I was set up on a phone interview with a lead designer. After a week or so I was informed that I passed the phone interview, and the next step would be the design challenge. I was given a challenge that was limited to 3 hours of working time. I had to provide sketches, low-fidelity and high-fidelity mockups. I was told that a committee would review my work and the recruiter would get back with me on the results. After about 2 weeks the recruiter informed me that I had passed the review and would be coming onsite to interview. Score! It took about a week or so to set up the travel arrangements. My onsite interview consisted of a 1 hour panel interview, (4) 1-hour one-on-one interviews and 1 lunch interview. The people were very friendly and I received several compliments on my work. I thought I had it in the bag. The recruiter emailed me a few days after i returned home and told me I had scored high enough on the onsite interviews to have my things passed on the the hiring committee. If I am correct the hiring committee has never seen you, talked to you or viewed your work. The pass you on to the next committee based on your paper trail alone. About a week after the recruiter told me I would be getting reviewed by the hiring committee, she emailed me and said i didn't get the job. The recruiter was very vague on the reason. That's my google story...

Interview Questions

• How would you collect data (favorite authors, genres, etc) about book readers if it was their initial login to our google books app?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Recruiter contact through E-mail, book a time for phone interview. Phone interview was about 45 minutes, done by a designer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Google (Mountain View, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

1. Initial Contact (email)
    2. Portfolio Review (email)
    3. Interview Questions Round 1 (email)
    4. Interview Questions Round 2 (phone)
    5. 1hr Portfolio Presentaion + 5 in-person interviews with some skills tests/problem solving (on-site for 1 full day)

Interview Questions

• One of the 1 on 1interviewers spent about 30 minutes explaining why he didn't like my work and went through each piece of my portfolio, picking apart each project at the pixel level. Told me up front that he didn't want me working there because I wasn't better than him and he only wanted people to work there who he aspired to be like.   4 Answers