Macy's Store Management Executive Development Program Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Macy's Store Management Executive Development Program Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Eugene, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

30 minutes behavioral, then 30 minutes sales related scenario questions. Then there was a second round which I think would have lasted a whole day but I didn't move on to that round.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you faced a challenge and what steps you took to overcome it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Macy's

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Macy's (Miami, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quick and straight to the point. The executives I had spoken with were very open thus making it as easy- flowing, stress-free interview. I would definitely suggest learning about all their current projects

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time where you worked on something and it did not go the way you had planned   Answer Question

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's in March 2015.

Interview

I initially submitted my resume through the business college's career website. I didn't even visit Macy's at the career fair (not even sure if they attended), but I received an on-campus interview. I would highly recommend going to the pre-interview info session the night before. There was a panel of individuals who held different positions throughout the company. I learned a lot of information that I was able to bring up during one of the on-campus interviews the next day.

The next day there were two 30-minute interviews on-campus. One was with an HR rep, which consisted of mostly behavioral questions and why I liked Macy's and what I knew about it (this is where the information from the reception the night before was useful). The second interview was a business exercise. I had to analyze sales data for several employees and choose one to coach based on their recent performance. I think I chose the one who had the greatest deficit of reaching the sales goal.

For the on-site interview I was flown to regional offices out-of-state for a two-day event. The first day consisted of presentations about the company, a store tour, and a dinner at a nice restaurant with some of the current Macy's employees. The second day involved interviews with two full-time employees, a business acumen exercise and a group exercise. Both interviews were mostly behavioral and extremely conversational. One interviewer even mentioned that she was impressed with my level of preparedness and thanked me for doing basic research (so I would definitely recommend doing this). It wasn't as deep as their recent stock trends, but more so about company values and initiatives that reflect them.

The business acumen exercise involved analyzing a mock sales report for a store and its departments and choosing three departments to focus on improving in the near future. The group exercise was with 5 other candidates, and we each represented a different department almost "fighting" over who should get a newly hired associate. The same two interviewers observed the exercise.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

The interviewers were all great. The interview includes a typical behavioral interview, and a case interview where they give you sales stats on several sales associates and asks you to analyze them and who you would coach and why.

Interview Questions

• The case question was difficult. Be prepared to role-play speaking to an employee about strengths/weaknesses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through college recruiting. I met a recruiter on my campus and was directed to apply online through my college's career service website. I was then contacted for the initial interview, which consisted of a 30 minute behavioral interview and a 30 minute business case. The night before the interview I attended a "pre-night" session. This is crucial! Go to this. The case involved selecting an employee to invest time in coaching to improve overall sales. I then was contacted for an on-site interview. We had a webinar the Monday before the event that had some information on logistics. The on-site interview is a two-day process. The first day consists of an orientation, a tour, and a networking dinner. The second day consists of our interviews: 1 behavioral, 1 based on questions they have about you from the online assessments, an individual business case, and a group exercise.

I met some great people throughout the interview process and learned a lot, but one of my issues was that during the webinar, one of the recruiters told us that there is a job for each of us if we were the right people. This is a little misleading in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to convey something unpleasant to a supervisor.   Answer Question

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's in October 2014.

Interview

Started at the career fair then had two phone interviews; one with the recruiter, the other with a District Manager. Was invited to the onsite interview the next week. It is two days and expenses are paid. I recommend you make an effort to build relationships with the other candidates and employees. While they are not officially reviewing your performance during meals and transition periods, your behavior will have an influence on their perception of you.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview

for on-campus recruiting there were 1 parts to it: situational and behavioral

Interview Questions

• situational is a little unexpected -- there is no prep you can really do for it.
      they give you about an in-store example and want to see how you handle it with employees and such.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Interview process was straight forward. It consisted of 3 interview steps. The first two interviews were very straight forward. The first one was a phone interview and the second was a webcam interview, both mainly consisted of behavioral based questions. The final interview was a two day on location interview in the district/regional offices. The first day was getting to know the program and the second day consisted of 5 different interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Spoke with a recruiter at a campus job fair, received an interview. Interview was two parts, a case study then a behavioral. For the case, I received a list of 5 employees on my "team", and had to decide which one to coach based on a short bio and sales stats. The behavioral was fairly straightforward, but I was asked questions at a fairly rapid pace.

Interview Questions

• The case. Was only given 10 minutes to come up with an answer, then had to give a 5 minute presentation.   Answer Question

Store Management Executive Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

There was two 30-minute interviews:

1) One will be a behavioral based interview.The best way to prepare is to think of good examples from your work history that may relate to job functions of the program.

2) The second interview is a coaching exercise. You will have about 5 minutes of instruction, 15 minutes to review the data and plan your presentation, and 3-4 minutes to present your plan to your interviewer. For this activity, you are in the role of a Sales Manager and tasked with reviewing your four associates' scorecards and personality profiles, and determining which one you would like to coach to increase productivity for your department. You will present a coaching plan for this person to an interviewer. They will be assessing your analytical, interpersonal, and presentation skills during this interview.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer a lot of behavior questions, but also know why you want to work for retail!   Answer Question