Macy's Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

1. Featured Interview

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

Got an over the phone interview. The interviewer was super nice and helped me feel comfortable. The questions were relatively easy and after, I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• How many years of customer service/sales experience do you have?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

The interview is brief and takes place in the administrative offices. One of the managers will sit down with you in an office and ask you a pretty standard litany of interview questions. From my experience, hiring takes place on the spot. Waiting for a call back is a formal "no".

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you encountered a conflict with a fellow employee or peer. How did you handle said conflict?   3 Answers

Cosmetics Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Macy's (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I applied in store on one of their computers in the back office. I was notified within a day or two via email that my application was accepted and I scheduled a time to meet. When I showed up for the interview, I was pretty early so I had to wait a little bit since they were having a meeting.

I did not get to meet with the actual Cosmetics Manager. I met instead with a different manager who said they would have her call me after the meeting. The actual interview went fine. The manager read questions off of a packet of papers and wrote down the main bullets of my answers. I thought my direct sales experience in the past gave me a good edge, as well as experience in theatre makeup.

Unfortunately, I never got the call from her. Instead, over two months later, I received an email letting me know that I did not get the position. Well...duh. I wasn't holding my breath. Overall I left that initial interview feeling "meh" about it answering a list of questions with just a little conversation sprinkled in. I was wishing I could have met with the actual Cosmetics Manager. But I understand schedules are busy.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable interacting with customers/touching other peoples' faces?   Answer Question
    • It has been a while since the interview but there was a question: How would you keep customer retention to your counter?   Answer Question

Cosmetics Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Called me for an interview in 2 days. Did not get the job though. They were looking for someone more permanent. The manager was very nice with the questions and understood me when I stumbled.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I called a 1800 number to have an interview over the phone. The interview took about 20 minutes and they offered me the job on the spot. I never had to go in to the store for a face to face interview-which I liked. You are expected to work 2 nights per week and 3 weekends a month.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you solved a complex problem   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw another coworker doing something unethical?   Answer Question

Fine Jewelry Sales Associate Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Macy's (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

At the Herald Square Macys, the interview process is in a room with your interviewer along with other applicants and interviewers at different tables in the same room. Very easy, google-able questions. However, the interviewer cut me off when I said I could work all day every day except Saturday and Sunday. They have no flexibility whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to make a hard, but right, decision.   Answer Question

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Macy's (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2018.

Interview

Awesome very nice I been telling family to apply for this position so far so good. Looking foward to working for company seem like this is a great opportunity. If your looking for a job applybonline answered in one day.

Receiving Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke Pines, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's (Pembroke Pines, FL) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied through Indeed.com. I received a phone interview and was immediately hired. Talk about amazing. Didn't even have to sit face to face with a manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

I applied for what was listed as a part time position for a "Retail Support Associate" online, although the name the employees actually use is more like "Merchandising Associate," "Flex Support," and so on and so forth. The phone interview was relatively easy and the interviewer was nice although I was nervous and it was my first job I ever applied for (the only experience I previously had was volunteering and I used examples from it multiple times in my answers).

I applied for this and another position, and basically learned that the job listings that Macy's puts online aren't necessarily always available, because the part time retail associate position I applied for wasn't available (only full time), and the retail stock support position was only on call instead of part time. The interviewer couldn't tell me how often I'd find shifts on call, but I took a risk and accepted the retail stock support position anyway. After the training process my manager told me that the Macy's store I applied to often needed merchandising help, so I got literally any shift I wanted on any day. Although I don't have the" part time" or "full time" title for benefits, I get just as many hours as them if I want, which is perfectly fine with me. If your store needs extra help and you care more about making money on the side than receiving full-time benefits, than being an on-call retail stock support associate is definitely a great way to work as many short or long hours as you want as there's always something that needs to be done.

Beauty Counter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Macy's.

Interview

Went ok. They only ask very standard interview questions and very little about your experience. The second interview was a repeat of much the same questions just with the counter manager.