NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

NVIDIA Systems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at NVIDIA

3.2

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA.

Interview

First HR contacted me, then there is the first phone interview asking project experience and background, with a simple string swapping question, explain virtual memory, later it's the second interview, asking project experience and background again, explain virtual memory again, simple lnked list add/remove question, then on-site interview, 6 interviewer, 45 minutes each, I explained my project experience 6 times, with algorithm, data structure, virtual memory, CPU cache, debugging questions.

Interview Questions

• swap an extermely large integer array in bits, cannot use bit operation because too slow.   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for NVIDIA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

First is a phone screen, ask me about a Dynamic Programming problem. Such as there is a list contain some numbers less than 10, such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.. but don't know how many. How can you find the biggest one. And when I finish, the man try to change the difficult level of this question such as if there are more than 100 number in this list, or if i define the number as a int, how can i do if the number bigger than the limit of int...seems he want to ask me until I cannot answer the question...

Systems Software Engineer Interview

Interview

maze traversal and back tracking
    how does a debugger work?
    semaphores, mutex, spin locks
    mutexes and spin locks in interrupts
    top halves and bottom halves in interrupt
    implement strlen function
    count freq of characters
    encoding chars into numbers for eg. abc -1 def -2 etc

why padding is needed in struct
    difference between interrupt and exception

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

3 phone interview, 2 technical and 1 interpersonal with the hiring manager. First phone interviews technical question was to write a binary search tree class in C, it should implement insertions, deletions and search functions. Second interview technical question was to implement a clipping algorithm in pseudo-code that could handle more clip windows than were supported in hardware. Third interview had a number of personal and moral questions. Made it to the on-site. Was asked to write my own implementation of Tail in C, was asked to write an algorithm in C that would determine if a point lay within any polygonal bounding area, and was asked to write a function that could print any UTF string in reverse. Lunch interview where I was allowed to ask question about the company, and then a personal interview with HR and the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Definitely the point contained within the bounding polygon. Was expecting to be asked a question about a point bound in a rectangle, but not bound by any polygon.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Campus - job fair. Got an interview call. Lasted 50 minutes. Most of the questions were core systems questions and one coding question at the end. Started from interrupt handlers, to priority inversion to pipe-lining ,etc. Also asked about earlier projects, work experience. Asked synchronization problems like consumer producer and mutexes.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement semaphores / mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Should we implement mutexes in interrupt handlers ? Can we sleep an interrupt ?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

2 phone interviews, 1 onsite

Interview Questions

• basic OS stuff, implementation of strstr & sprintf, interrupt handler, synchronization design   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had two interviews, and both were on the phone. One interview was with a manager; second interview was with a software engineer. The manager asked me some high-level questions about my background, experience, and interests. The software engineer asked me a couple of (fairly simple) technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a page size and a number, align the number with the nearest page.

(Note: This was a phone interview question. The interviewer and I used an online document to share ideas about this problem.   7 Answers
    • Implement memcpy.   4 Answers

Negotiation

The offer was very competitive; I didn't feel interested in negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clarita, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clarita, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I only make it to the second phone interview. In the first phone interview, I was asked to write a short program. In the second phone interview, He asked several question about my resume.

Interview Questions

• write a function to set a particular field of register to the desired value. ( For example, set bit 3 - 10 of a word to the given value)   3 Answers
    • Say the program you are running has stack overflow. You want to know when and where this happens, but you don't want to use debuggers, because they slow. How would you do this?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2008.

Interview

Largely C, bit manipulation, OS/memory, debugging related questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NVIDIA (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

My interview with Nvidia consisted of a phone interview, a programming test, being flown out for a day of interviews on-site, and then being flown back out to interview with a second team.

I applied for the job through a friend who works there. After interviewing with his manager I was asked to complete a programming question via e-mail within 30 minutes and send him the response. This question was designed to test my knowledge of memory management and the C programming language.

All arrangements were simple and handled over e-mail with the recruiting coordinator. They made a reservation for the rental car, hotel, and airline tickets, and I had to pay and submit the hotel and rental car for reimbursement along with gas and meal charges.

I interviewed with 7 people during my first trip out and was asked a variety of technical questions from programming, to systems architecture questions. I was also given a wide opportunity to learn about the company, the product I would be working on, and what the culture is like at Nvidia.

I was declined an offer from this team based primarily on the time frame that I would be available on and the fact that they were looking for someone to start almost immediately and to ramp up quickly, but I received an offer to interview with a second team within the company that was much more established.

For my second interview I met with 3 individuals from the new team and it was very similar to the first time. Plenty of technical questions and opportunity to ask about other aspects of the company.

I would highly recommend you be familiar with C, developing on multi-core systems, and have a very good base in UNIX systems programming.

Interview Questions

• Implement a linked list structure and insert routine in C.
      Make it thread safe.   1 Answer
    • Implement a function for compare and swap in C. Use this function to implement linked list insertion. How could you take advantage of hardware caching to implement this.   Answer Question
    • Implement a reader-writer locking system.   Answer Question
    • Implement the function strstr which returns a pointer to the first occurrence of one string within another.   Answer Question
    • Implement a function that takes a list of signed integers and looks for the consecutive subset with the highest sum.   Answer Question

I declined the offer based on the fact that I had a similar offer from another company and I had overall heard better things about the on-boarding and ramp up experience with that company.