New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,134 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process had three rounds. Two technical rounds to test the knowledge of technologies mentioned in the resume. Both the technical rounds will have at least 2 programming questions related to data-structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Will not disclose because of agreement   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

1st interview is to gauge you as a person
    2nd is about the details of the job
    3rd is compensation and benefits
    It's really not that hard just be yourself and be confident.
    Confident is the biggest problem with interviews. Look up the TED talk on power poses those help a lot.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

too long and complex. multiple people , peer interview and 4 level up management interview. personnel and multiple phone screening. Onsite travel and overnight stay included. technical interview and skill testing as well

Investment Group Interview

Interview

The people that I interviewed with were very friendly and the interview wasn't very hard. The first round lasted about an hour, the second round 2 h. The interview mainly focuses on:
    basic financial knowledge
    communication skill
    statistical knowledge
    project experiences

Interview Questions

• forward pricing, volatility, multi-factor model, asset allocation, PCA   Answer Question

Financial Professaional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Anchorage, AK) in November 2017.

Interview

DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOT OF PROFESSIONAL CONNECTIONS (see below)!

New York life seems like a really great company, but I was very disappointed by their interview process. It takes a lot of time and effort! I spent about 7.5 hours combined before reaching the point where I was told most candidates realize the job isn't for them and walk away... At this point, I walked away as well, which I will explain further below.

I was cold-emailed, asked to come in and discuss the position with the recruiter, but this was really a full-on interview. He told me all about the company and the amazing perks of being employed there. He told me it would take an hour, but it took an hour and a half. My current manager was not happy I did not return to work when I said I would...
    At the end he gave me a paper and asked me to write down the names of others he could recruit after my interviews with him were complete. I really did not like throwing out people's names and contact info. without prior authorization, but I did as I was told.

He asked me to apply online that night. This took another hour and a half. The application is very long. They want to know where you've lived and worked the past ten years (and you cannot leave any gaps), as well as listing extensive previous employer info. and references.

He also gave me a questionnaire to fill out. This literally took me another 2.5 hours. It is very long and extremely hard to write in the small space provided. Get your pencil and eraser ready, because you'll be writing and re-writing each line a several times.

I was called back in two days later for a second interview. This took about another hour and a half before it was cut short. We reached the point where he told me that most people are discouraged and realize the company is not a good fit for them. It was all about networking. I was never told I would need to find my own clients. I figured I might be given leads or something.
    He asked how many friends/acquaintances I could agree to meet to talk about selling them insurance. I gave a low number because I just don't have a lot of personal connections I can confidently rely on. He told me that successful agents are very visible in the community and attended many groups, clubs and organizations. As a college student, my connections are all other college students... People not very likely to buy life insurance...
    From here he told me that I probably wouldn't make it far in the business and asked if I wanted to continue the interview. Discouraged, I left.
    If they know that this is the point where most people leave the interviewing process, why not cover this first instead of consuming 7 combined hours of the interviewee's time...? This really upset me, but I left respectfully knowing that even if I eventually gain the necessary connection, I would never apply here again.

Overall: If he was upfront with me from day-one about the first meeting being an actual interview, and that I would be responsible for bringing in all of my own clients (based on my own connections), I would not have spent a combined 7 hours applying and interviewing.
    Don't get me wrong, it seems like a really good company, and the recruiter was very friendly... I just wish he had been more honest and transparent about the interview process and requirements of the position before I spent so much of my time before getting to the point where he said 'most candidates are discouraged' and walk away.

Interview Questions

• Generic interview questions:

What is your greatest strength?
      What is your greatest weakness?
      Why are you interested in a position with New York Life?   Answer Question

New York Life Response

Nov 13, 2017 – Head of Engagement Communications

Thanks for your feedback. We realize that the interview process can sometimes be lengthy, and we are currently evaluating the issue to find ways to make it a more streamlined experience for the... More

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life in November 2017.

Interview

I have had to do a bunch of assessments. Have to list potential clients, do potential client interviews and much more. I had to have 4 references, and I've also had two phone call interviews which lasted 30 minutes, and one hour. As well as a meeting/ interview in person which lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Why should the financial stability of New York Life be important to you?   1 Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

three rounds of interview and a questionnaire. the first round was about introducing yourself and why do you want to have a career with New York life.You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you can be a perfect fit for this role?   1 Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Interview

Not bad...
    You have to start out selling insurance to friends and family then branch out. 3 rounds of interviews and a questionnaire. They will interview you once, have you take the questionnaire then if you pass, another interview and then another. Tedious...

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

First round was on campus- behavioral, Second round was a Super day in New York- included 4 interviews back to back, all behavioral
    Everyone was very polite, I received an offer 2 weeks after interviewing

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Several step interview process, they don't care about your experience or qualifications they just want bodies. They also want you to harass family and friends in to buying life insurance.

Interview Questions

• Very few traditional interview questions, it was less of an interview and more sales pitch on the position.   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was tough interview process. I went through 4 interviews before I was hired. The first one is them checking to see if you fit, the second is them selling themselves to you, the third is them explaining what they expect from you, and the fourth is to bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in selling life insurance?   1 Answer