New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,238 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process had three rounds. Two technical rounds to test the knowledge of technologies mentioned in the resume. Both the technical rounds will have at least 2 programming questions related to data-structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Will not disclose because of agreement   1 Answer

Agency Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

Application

I interviewed at New York Life (Okemos, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Received phone call on Tuesday, 5/20/14 after they found my resume on line. When she said she was calling from NY LIfe, I told her I've tried selling life policies before (Prudential, MassMutual) and was not successful. She said something like, "Oh, no, this is for sales, this is a position for an agency manager. You won't have to sell, you'll have people under you selling." This caught my attention as I have a management degree. An interview was scheduled for Friday, 5/23/14.

Met the lady and AS SOON as we sat down she confessed that what she told me over the phone wasn't entirely accurate, that I would have to start out in the field selling as an agent for the first year or so and THEN move into management. I should have left right then. ** To me, this is a deceitful hiring practice and should be reported to someone. **

She talked about the job a little and then the office manager came into the interview who turned out to be her husband. He talked about the income potential (sell 50 policies your first year and make about $80k-$110k. When I worked for the other 2 companies I sold maybe 5 policies total, 3 to me, my ex-wife and my son. It's not easy selling life insurance.) He said they expect you to make 15 contacts per day in hopes of setting 2 appointments per day. I asked him how many others he's interviewing and he mentioned some large number (100+) and that he has to interview so many per month or quarter to hit his numbers for a bonus or to maintain his pay by HQ. THIS explains the lying about the job to get you in front of them for the interview. They had me take an assessment questionnaire on a computer in the office. They said they'd let me know about coming back in for a second interview by yesterday or today, 5/28/14. I never heard from them.

I've been licensed since 2000 and don't actively market that I am an agent/broker, but I keep my licenses going. When i do talk to people in general conversations about life insurance, I tell them to buy term, it's a lot cheaper even though I wouldn't make as much in commissions. Everyone always appreciates me telling them that. What I DO try to do is get them to buy more in coverage/face amount (pay off debts, replace a spouse's income for X number of years, college funds for kids, leaving a legacy, etc.) and then round up to the next quarter million mark for the price breaks. (ie: it's cheaper to buy a $500,000 policy than a $490,000 policy.) I'm also able to shop premiums around through a brokerage house (being an independent agent/broker) rather than being a captured agent and only able to sell for one company. Consider that when being recruited. Most captured agents will receive a gradually-decreasing "salary" from their company over the first year as you're 'supposedly' selling policies.

The lure of a very high income is intriguing, but there are too many cons to consider accepting this position, if offered.

Interview Questions

• The only question asked of me was what I want this job to entail.   1 Answer

Agent Interview

Interview

Hiring process was simple and straightforward-met hiring manager at a networking event, and spoke to him a few times. Took a quick computer test and was given an offer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult--they only care about who you know so they can use you to get more business   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process is lengthy, but not difficult. First stage was a company presentation with questions regarding education, experience, and insurance or financial background. A little bit of family information questions were asked, but nothing prying or of a deeply personal nature. Second stage is the compensation overview. It took an hour and a half and it is quite detailed and fairly complex. I have not attended the third interview yet, which will be on the marketing plan and should take an additional hour. I expect an offer to follow.

Interview Questions

• The hardest question, but age old in interviews, that was asked was "tell me about yourself."   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Roseville, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

There were four or five thorough interviews. The manager took his time to know me, explain the opportunity and allow me to "interview" him, as well. He even had my wife come in for one interview, to introduce the company and explain the income opportunity to her. The hiring manager was my working manager after being hired, and was very easy to work with.

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Stockton, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Interview1: Introductions, just getting to one another.
     Interview2: Introduction to Products and how they are marketed.
     Interview3: Compensation Conversation

Be sincere, genuine, and a go-getter.

My recruiter was knowledgeable, professional, and easy to talk to. Does his job well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Stiff. No Negotiation.

Agent Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Applied online, received a call from a manager about 2 days later, went in for an interview the next day. Very professional, yet relaxed interview that asked the standard questions. Took about an hour and a half, and had to fill out a personality test at the end. Very good experience, however I wasn't interested in the company and did not go in for a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Kalamazoo, MI).

Interview

Three interviews first one you have to submit your information in order for them to perform a background check. 2nd interview they talk about compensation. third interview they offer you a job. If you show up to all three of the interviews and can pass a background check they will offer you a job.

Negotiation

100% commission don't let them let you think otherwise.

Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Annapolis, MD).

Interview

The recruiter contacted me after discovering an old resume I forgot I had on careerbuilder.com. I am always open to hearing offers and this was a chance to work in a field and actually utilize what I studied in college.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions due to the unique circumstances during my interview. An agent stepped in to retrieve a file and it turned out we knew each other. An offer was made on the spot after he vouched for me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The interview turned very informal once another agent popped his head in the office and he recognized me. It turns out I knew him through some friends. I was offered the job on the spot pending background/credit check.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I was referred by a friend in the company whose partner was hiring. 5 step process. Felt very good about the process, however I felt they put too much emphasis on the potential for income and not enough emphasis on what the job actually entailed.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty standard personality questions nothing very technical.   1 Answer

Negotiation

no room for negotiation and no compensation until you prove yourself a valuable employee

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life (Schaumburg, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Solid interview. Went for two meetings and after the second meeting I gathered all the information I needed in deciding that this was not a job for me. I was expected to work when I am away from work. Your free time and weekends are spent generating leads and socializing with clubs and local events.

Interview Questions

You generate your own business under the New York life name. No base pay strictly commission