New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.4

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Was very straight forward. Asked about being out going and a self motivator, and a lot of time was spent by them explaining operations. Not too many difficult questions, was a pretty basic interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work long hours and stay late if it means you can make more money?   1 Answer

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New Orleans, LA).

Interview

In brief, this is a pyramid scheme. No compensation until you pass licensure exam. They refuse to discuss compensation until 3rd round interview then quote you a 70k+/yr salary-zero guaranteed. totally commission-based. Super entry-level. Waste of time. Unless you really aspire to work in the CBD and wear a suit to work. Keep your service-industry job or gig with the girl scouts/Mary Kay cosmetics. You'll probably earn just as much and there's more demand! Also you must have your own car so you can traverse the state like a Depression-era salesman. Oh yeah, they want an intense background check on you after Round 1. I completed the same level of detail, addresses, and contacts for my security clearance with State! Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• How would you find leads to meet your weekly/monthly sales objectives?   1 Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Introduced the company first, such as how they work, how they training their agent, then ask you some interview questions and take a assessment test. The whole process spend one week.

Sales Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I was called on several small interviews and was told to take a personality assessment. If I showed that I was good with sales, they would call for the next interview. Where they would further discuss the details. After about two meetings they ask you to take study and take the life and health exam

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (West Palm Beach, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

Thorough but casual interview process. The interviewer was very personable and friendly as well as knowledgeable.NYL seems to be a very ethical company and also very diverse. Overall it was a positive and informative interaction.

Interview Questions

• The 5 things you would like most in a job   2 Answers

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

You have a phone interview, if you pass that process you will be sent to an in-person interview. After the in person interview, just background check and drug screening. The interview process was pretty quick and New York Life seems like a great company to work for.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st interview is you meeting the recruiting partner. He knew nothing about me coming in so I presume it was a recruiter that reached out to me via ziprecruiter. Brief explanation about the company and gives his background and I was asked to give mine. Left resume with him and went to take the personality test. Was asked to come back for the career overview where they lay down the history of NYL, the comparisons with other companies, how clients benefit, and how you would get paid. Based on others who were there, there is no discrimination on who they interview. People of all ages, gender, and ethnicity. It is 0 base salary however if you have a great network and/or can socialize, there is a good chance you could do well. Its not one of those 9-5 jobs where you sit on your tail. You work for your earnings and it can be quit lucrative if successful.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Lengthy but I like that. It shows they are not just hiring anyone. However, they make you start "working" as if you have been officially hired without finishing their hiring process. Unfortunately, after two months of doing work for them and letting friends and family know that I started working there, they have decided they wouldn't want to go forward because of answers on my application. It was extremely unprofessional. I would advise whoever is applying to make sure they get officially hired before starting putting any work and go to training and marketing yourself. I've never experienced such lack of professionalism and carelessness.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you to reach out to your warm market?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I applied through school career fair. Phone screening: describe some project experience, some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation and data manipulation problems (Explain Random Forest to business clients, cross-validation ).

Interview Questions

• some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation(Random Forest).   Answer Question