New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,280 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process had three rounds. Two technical rounds to test the knowledge of technologies mentioned in the resume. Both the technical rounds will have at least 2 programming questions related to data-structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Will not disclose because of agreement   1 Answer

Agency Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Okemos, MI

Application

I interviewed at New York Life (Okemos, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

Received phone call on Tuesday, 5/20/14 after they found my resume on line. When she said she was calling from NY LIfe, I told her I've tried selling life policies before (Prudential, MassMutual) and was not successful. She said something like, "Oh, no, this is for sales, this is a position for an agency manager. You won't have to sell, you'll have people under you selling." This caught my attention as I have a management degree. An interview was scheduled for Friday, 5/23/14.

Met the lady and AS SOON as we sat down she confessed that what she told me over the phone wasn't entirely accurate, that I would have to start out in the field selling as an agent for the first year or so and THEN move into management. I should have left right then. ** To me, this is a deceitful hiring practice and should be reported to someone. **

She talked about the job a little and then the office manager came into the interview who turned out to be her husband. He talked about the income potential (sell 50 policies your first year and make about $80k-$110k. When I worked for the other 2 companies I sold maybe 5 policies total, 3 to me, my ex-wife and my son. It's not easy selling life insurance.) He said they expect you to make 15 contacts per day in hopes of setting 2 appointments per day. I asked him how many others he's interviewing and he mentioned some large number (100+) and that he has to interview so many per month or quarter to hit his numbers for a bonus or to maintain his pay by HQ. THIS explains the lying about the job to get you in front of them for the interview. They had me take an assessment questionnaire on a computer in the office. They said they'd let me know about coming back in for a second interview by yesterday or today, 5/28/14. I never heard from them.

I've been licensed since 2000 and don't actively market that I am an agent/broker, but I keep my licenses going. When i do talk to people in general conversations about life insurance, I tell them to buy term, it's a lot cheaper even though I wouldn't make as much in commissions. Everyone always appreciates me telling them that. What I DO try to do is get them to buy more in coverage/face amount (pay off debts, replace a spouse's income for X number of years, college funds for kids, leaving a legacy, etc.) and then round up to the next quarter million mark for the price breaks. (ie: it's cheaper to buy a $500,000 policy than a $490,000 policy.) I'm also able to shop premiums around through a brokerage house (being an independent agent/broker) rather than being a captured agent and only able to sell for one company. Consider that when being recruited. Most captured agents will receive a gradually-decreasing "salary" from their company over the first year as you're 'supposedly' selling policies.

The lure of a very high income is intriguing, but there are too many cons to consider accepting this position, if offered.

Interview Questions

• The only question asked of me was what I want this job to entail.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scranton, PA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Scranton, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

The interview process was tough. There were three different interviews and for me they were all in a span of one week. There was a suitability test that you had to complete also.

Interview Questions

• What would be your number one motivation for having a job like this?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Bridgewater, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

Took long because it’s a process. You go and meet the partner and they tell you about New York life . You have to pass all this background checks then go get your life to sell insurnace

Interview Questions

• What experience do I have .   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Plantation, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at New York Life (Plantation, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruited by local New York Life recruiter. Met once and was offered position. No drug test, no IQ test, no personality test required. Fast and pain free process, which I enjoyed very much.

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Honolulu, HI) in March 2018.

Interview

Filled out a brief questionnaire after the first interview. Based on your answers you’re ranked green (good to go), yellow, or red (probably not the right fit for the job). Was called back for a second interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Three primary steps. FIrst is meeting the managing partner, then you are invited to a weekly/ bi weekly presentation about the company, compensation and how to earn money.

To be honest, when I came for the second meeting which was the presentation, the managing partner did not even remember who I was and believed thought I was there for the first interview with him. That was kind of disappointing because I thought we had a solid connection and talked consistently through email.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Describe your personality traits.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

The interview process was really engaging and direct. They let you know all about the potentials of this job such as money and freedom but at the same time they were realistic with you about what is necessary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

There were multiple steps during the process. First you meet with a recruiter about twice. They tell you the ways you can move up in the company, mentoring, etc. It was a lot of information to take in so then they set up a group meeting called the "compensation package" where they explain things into more depth however you don't do much talking. After the presentation is over they ask that you speak to your recruiter within the next weeks if you are still interested. I met with my recruiter where he asked if I had any further questions. It was a lengthy process because I was not eager to start as I was still in school.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good fit to selling financial assistance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melville, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Melville, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was very casual. I met with one of the partners, he explained the role and what the day to day would be. I ultimately decided not to move forward because the position has no base salary.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process at New York Life is broken down into four separate meetings. It honestly seems like a lot and should be condensed to at least two.

Interview Questions

• Why do you feel this career would be a good fit for you?   Answer Question