New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,113 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Campus Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process had three rounds. Two technical rounds to test the knowledge of technologies mentioned in the resume. Both the technical rounds will have at least 2 programming questions related to data-structures and algorithms

Interview Questions

• Will not disclose because of agreement   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

Several step interview process, they don't care about your experience or qualifications they just want bodies. They also want you to harass family and friends in to buying life insurance.

Interview Questions

• Very few traditional interview questions, it was less of an interview and more sales pitch on the position.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward... there were two interviews over the phone, and then the final decision. Between the beginning of the process and the end, it was 3-4 weeks total.

Agent Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It was tough interview process. I went through 4 interviews before I was hired. The first one is them checking to see if you fit, the second is them selling themselves to you, the third is them explaining what they expect from you, and the fourth is to bring you on board.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in selling life insurance?   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hooksett, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Hooksett, NH) in October 2017.

Interview

This was a very casual experience where the interviewer did not make me feel stressed. The questions asked were done in a way where i felt completely confident in my answers and where i was comfortable talking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carmel, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Carmel, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

It started off with a typical interview process. The manager gave a good background and summary of the company (which was more like a sales pitch for their products) and standard questions. The interview eventually led to him asking me "how many people do you know in this area?" It was explained to me that these people, my friends and family, would be my first clients and ultimately lead to the success or failure of my client network. At that point, I told the hiring manager that I waasn't comfortable asking my friends and family to be my clients, or rely on them for the success of my work. I told him I wasn't the right candidate for the type of position, hoping to end the interview right then. He got very defensive, and explained how I should want to "help" my friends and family, and continued on with what was more of a sales pitch than an interview. I had to stand up to let him know I was serious about ending the interview because he would not stop going on about how I should "want to help" my friends and family. If you are considering this position at NYL, know that you are paid on commission only and will be expected to bug the people you know to sell their services. Though you are working "for" NYL, you will ultimately be on your own. It's definitely not for everyone.

Interview Questions

• How many people in this area do you know.   1 Answer

Commission Sales Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

You will meet with the managing partner who has ultimate decision on your hiring. His or her success depends upon your success. They will attempt to make sure you are a good fit for both the career field as well as the company.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

It only took 1 min to ask me if I had any sales experience. And then the manager told me they don't sponsor h1b and then let me go. It was a rainy day and I drove 3 hours to long island for this interview. It was really a bad experience.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life (Roseville, CA).

Interview

There was a series of four interviews. A homework assignment was to interview 10 friends as prospective customers. My wife was asked to come to one interview with me. It was not high pressure.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to see that I'm stable, professional and willing to prospect for new business.   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Received phone call, schedule in person interview right away. In person interview was all about motivation to make money. Took online personality profile. Mandatory 2 hour seminar with other candidates

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (Edison, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. I only went for the first round, I'm not very interested in a sales job. It was very casual, they asked about me then explained their 3 year training process and how various sales quotas would have to be met throughout the training program. He informed me there would be later round interviews if I was interested in the position.