New York Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.4

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Life (Glendale, CA).

Interview

Lengthy but I like that. It shows they are not just hiring anyone. However, they make you start "working" as if you have been officially hired without finishing their hiring process. Unfortunately, after two months of doing work for them and letting friends and family know that I started working there, they have decided they wouldn't want to go forward because of answers on my application. It was extremely unprofessional. I would advise whoever is applying to make sure they get officially hired before starting putting any work and go to training and marketing yourself. I've never experienced such lack of professionalism and carelessness.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you to reach out to your warm market?   Answer Question

Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Contacted by a template recruiting email, thanked them but said I wasn't into sales, asked to meet me anyway and was told there are other positions, met, peaked my curiosity, went through four more rounds of meetings / interviews, did full background and financial check, was offered a position in management once I proved myself as an Agent. (Which I later learned it's still all about sales no matter how you slice it.)

Basically, I was "sold" by master salespeople to be a salesperson when I said I wasn't interested in a full-time sales position. How 'bout that?

Interview Questions

• More along the lines of personality-type of questions, what I wanted for myself / family, am I willing to put in 80 hours a week to succeed, etc.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

I applied through school career fair. Phone screening: describe some project experience, some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation and data manipulation problems (Explain Random Forest to business clients, cross-validation ).

Interview Questions

• some statistics fundamental problems (hypothesis testing, p-value), and model interpretation(Random Forest).   Answer Question

Electrician Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY).

Interview

Interview process was good was asked of basic electrical questions and then told about the company and what to expect benefit stuff like that. We went over all the safety and Hazards of the workplace always showed around the facilities in the parking lot showing where I wasn't going to be parking and then told where I was going to be driving over all the interview was great

Interview Questions

Negotiation

good very easy

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

My first round of interviews was a phone interview. The call was very casual and was based on getting to know me. They asked basic questions about where I attend school and how I am involved on campus and in my past jobs. I had time at the end of the call to ask my own questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• What is your comfort level on a scale of 1-10 with using Microsoft word, PowerPoint, excel, and access?   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Life (Memphis, TN) in February 2017.

Interview

There are 3 interviews. The first one is opening and more of a sales pitch. The 2nd is all about compensation. I have not had the 3rd interview but I'm willing to bet that it's another sales pitch situation

Interview Questions

• What are four things you are looking for in a job?   1 Answer

Financial Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at New York Life (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Very straight forward, you drive the interview and they check to see if you researched the company by asking you what you know about them. Additionally, you are prompted to ask questions and they try to answer any questions you might have about the position.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to tell me about myself and also why I chose to apply for the job.   1 Answer

Senior Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Life.

Interview

Great interview process. Very informative. Met with different managers across the organization. Definitely great place to work. Many opportunities for growth and would recommend the company to external candidates.

Sales Interview

Interview

They will bring almost anyone in there--there was almost no screening beforehand. There was a test, which was not accurately described by the person who led me into the room to take it, which was focused on a candidate's attitude towards sales, insurance, and selling to people you know.

After the "test", I was informed that the person I had come to see was "in a meeting with corporate" and would see me the following week. Surely I understood, right?

Of course no one called. I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• Do you agree or disagree that insurance salespeople are honest?   2 Answers

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Life (Huntsville, AL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview and a brief introduction of each of the interviewees and the interviewer. During the interview they also had shown what they had to offer. By the end we were asked to do a test and complete a background check.