TJ Maxx Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TJ Maxx Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at TJ Maxx

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Burlington, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

After submitting my application online through the app [Snagajob], I received a telephone call the next couple days for an interview.
Met with the manager and retail associate in the back room/office at the TJ Maxx.
Questions weren't too hard but you had to think. So have your answers ready with 1-2 examples each.
Some examples are:
Tell me about yourself?
What does customer service mean to you?
What does teamwork mean to you?
When's the earliest you can start?
Do you know anything about TJ Maxx?
Do you have any experience in retail?
Do you feel comfortable offering the TJ Maxx credit card to customers at checkout?
The interview is about 30 minutes. You're asked to fill out a worksheet- job experience, etc.
Don't forget to bring your resume and references!
If you do get to the orientation- bring your SSI & ID card

2 days later the manager calls me and asks if I can come to orientation. 12 pm SHARP!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for TJ Maxx

Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Daly City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The hiring and interview process took about two weeks. First it was a phone call briefly discussing availability and experience. Then was an initial interview with the human resource manager, then I had a second interview with another manager. They do background check and call your sources.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you see your coworker not doing their job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Maria, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Santa Maria, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

They called me for an interview within a week I believe, but took at least two weeks to make me an offer. I went in and interviewed with a current manager and they asked me a series of pretty basic questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer that was difficult or upset?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Mount Laurel, NJ) in September 2012.

Interview

I filled an application in store, and got a call in week. It was my first job. I interviewed with the assistant manager. It was simple, as I didnt have any previous work experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was none. I was given a little bit over minimum to start. I was content.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Interview went very well. Very casual, the hiring manager was very kind and really wants you to know how great it is to work at TJMaxx. The interview is nothing to stress over, they just really want to get a sense of what kind of person you are and really get to know you. They are really looking for someone who is flexible and has good availability.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Houston, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The first initial interview was a group interview, the second interview was a one-on-one interview with the store manager. The first interview was my first group interview, frankly I still prefer individual interviews, and I'm not a big fan of group interviews because I feel like you have less of a chance to shine, and be noticed; and its harder to make a lasting impression on the interviewer. The group interview was alright, though having had other group interviews since then, I feel like it was a bit amateurish. We mostly introduced ourselves, our desired position, and some personal information about ourselves. Then we watched some company video. I do think that they made us wait for too long until the interview started. The interview was suppose to begin at 1pm, and it ended up starting around 2. Overall, it was pretty standard. Same can be said about the individual interview.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions they asked me are the same standard questions; where I worked before, if I had any customer service experience, what customer service meant to me, if there was an instance where I had to deal with a rude customer, things of that nature. I was also asked to state my availability, and what position interested me the most. Again, most of the questions where pretty standard. Most retail stores tend to ask the same questions. If you've done one interview you've pretty much done them all.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Davenport, IA) in November 2014.

Interview

Asked associates at service desk to tell someone I was there for an interview. Asked to wait breifly. Only 5 minute wait for manager to come greet. Sat down and asked questions by current manager on duty. Was told they would not make callback until all application references had given professional input on me

Interview Questions

• What does teamwork mean to you?   1 Answer
    • What was the best customer service you ever received/provided?   Answer Question

Merchandise/Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at TJ Maxx.

Interview

Took a week. I applied in person with an application. Called them to schedule an interview. The questions were very simple and straight forward. I was called the next day for a job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

I went in to drop off my job application. The hiring manager wasn't in that day so I gave it to the store manager. He wanted to interview me already so if you're dropping off your interview, make sure you look decent because you never know what would happen!! I didn't feel prepared for the interview and I said "um" a lot. I thought I messed it up but I got a call two weeks later and got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Manteca, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TJ Maxx (Manteca, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Had a group interview with just one other person, got called to do a second interview the next day it was one on one. They called me a week later to offer me the job, today is Wednesday I have orientation on Monday.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This is a part-time seasonal position with a possibility of being hired on part-time permanent. Starting at $9 an hour.