Ulta Beauty Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Chicago, IL) in April 2018.

Interview

Within a week of applying, I was invited to interview with the company. They set aside several days for interviewing and I was offered a specific date and time (which did fit into my schedule). The first interview was a group interview with another applicant and the assistant store manager. The store manager was unavailable to interview this day due to some circumstance. Two days later, I was invited to a second interview with the store manager. This was not a group interview and I was asked nearly identical questions but had a much more frank conversation with the store manager about my experience and career aspirations. Overall, both interviews were fairly casual and more like a conversation than formal interview. The next Monday I received a call from management offering me a position at the store!

Interview Questions

• Are you passionate about beauty?   6 Answers
    • Please give an example of a time you worked as a team member. Please give an example of how you dealt with a stressful situation.   Answer Question
    • Please give an example of unexpected feedback you received from a boss or teacher. How did you use this feedback?   Answer Question
    • How do you give great customer service?   Answer Question
    • Describe yourself in three words/adjectives.   Answer Question
    • Has your schedule changed? How many hours are you looking to work?   Answer Question
    • Can you stand for at least 5 hours without sitting? Can you lift 50 lbs? Are you able to occasionally climb a ladder? Can you balance? (and similar physical work questions)   Answer Question

Contract Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2013.

Interview

Only one interview with the Director of Talent Acquisition. Discussed company culture, structure of the talent acquisition team and the scope of role and specific needs of the the team.

Interview Questions

• No real interview. Have know the Director for years and they were familiar with my experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Arlington Heights, Cook, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

Basic interview questions. They focus a lot on guest service and role playing situations. Be prepared to discuss how you would lead the team/leadership style. Also as a lot of questions about past experience based off of your resume.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a guest asked you about a skin care line that you knew nothing about and no one was around to help you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

short-they don't budge much on salary negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

The entire interview process took me six months. I had several interviews with the district manager. a phone interview with HR, and two additional interviews with ither store managers. the actual interviews were very normal compared to other retail manager interviews. Although I was interviewing for a General Manager position and was told that was the position I would be getting until it came time for the offer letter, where it stated my position as assistant store manager. disappointing, because I had invested six months into the interview process and had already made plans to relocate to a different city for the job. so i took the position. I had 13 years experience, and was treated like a child once I got there. Horrible.

Interview Questions

• All questions were normal retail manager interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for a higher salary. which they took a day to get back to me on, and they met my requirement.

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Kansas City, MO) in April 2015.

Interview

Very relaxed and comfortable. Asked me about previous work experience, how would I react in certain situations, any experience with their products and services I had, things like that. The manager was very positive and answered questions thoroughly. I applied online and they called me the next day. Explained the job and what I would be expected to look for and do. Discussed the hours I would be working.

Interview Questions

• What is your work experience?
      Do you have experience with our store and/or products and service we offer?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager of Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in June 2016.

Interview

I had two interviews. The first was very easy, the manager was polite. After asking me a series of questions she told me I should answer the questions in a start, middle, and end try of way. The situation, how I handled it how it worked out. She also told me to think of how my role model manager would answer the question. It was about an hour long. My second interview with the District Manager was only 20 minutes. I introduced myself, talked about past work, and answered a few questions.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time when you created a solution to a problem at work   Answer Question
    • How would I handle a disagreement with an employee   Answer Question
    • How I would go about solving a problem in the work place   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online from Indeed and was directed to apply on the Ulta website. I was contacted my phone. It took a while to get the initial interview set because they would call me when I was working my current job and refused to utilize email. I had to go through an interview with the general manager and a few days later a manager at another store as a secondary. It took a week and a half to get the call offering the job after the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would make a business decision without all of the pertinent information needed.   1 Answer

The pay rate was only $16 an hour and that was after it was supposedly "bumped up" for my experience level. It turned out to be that I was going to be on the sales floor helping people with drug store cosmetics and other basic things, no real managing or business acumen needed at all. It was a position better geared for an 18 year old with Walgreens experience. I was not pleased!

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Spokane, WA) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied on Indeed.com and got a call 2 days later to set up an interview. Had my interview on Wed. with GM then she set up an interview with the DM 2 days later. Hired later that day. It was a typical interview what are your strengths/weaknesses, tell me about a time when you had to resolve a problem with a customer, how do you add on sales, tell me about your coaching experience.

Interview Questions

• I think that the what is your weakness is always the hardest.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was called with an offer a few hours after interview with DM. Offered a low number tried to negotiate didnt work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screening type interview first, then the real one. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and the general manager from another store sat in on the interview. I was basically asked the typical scenario and how did I handle it type of questions. Overall the interview went good and she said she'd let me know after she interviews a few more people.

Interview Questions

• How did I motivate my employees to sell?   1 Answer

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

Applied for position and got a call literally within minutes. Had an interview the next day. Pretty pleasant experience. Was hired within a week and started within two. I was never told that I was being hired for Operations until I started training. Also wasnt told that I would have to be available at 5/6 AM for Truck, Ad, or Planograms. Which I later found out wasnt even in my job description. I was actually doing the job of two people. Also found out (after being hired) I was offered almost $4.00 less than the person I was replacing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations

Associate Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ulta Beauty.

Interview

The interview process went fairly smoothly. I applied online and was contacted by the GM for a face-to-face interview. She was friendly and explained what she was looking for and the basic responsibilities of the position. She told me she would pass on my details to her newly hired DM, and we would most likely do a phone interview. The DM was not as quick with getting back to me, but the interview was standard. I then had a second phone interview with a different DM. I was called by the GM with an offer.