VMware Project Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 1, 2017

3.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

1. Contracting company called me for a phone screening
2. Phone Interview with Hiring Manager from hiring company
3. Phone Interview with the rest of the team from hiring company
4. Onsite Interview with hiring company
5. Wait....
6. Offer was made by phone by contracting company

Interview Questions

• Can you describe what a typical project looks like, and list out all the major stakeholders, and key elements?

Can you tell me about a recent project and how you directly impacted that project in a positive way?

Can you tell me a time when a project didn't go your way, or you missed a deliverable?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was reached out to by a recruiter for a short screening. Very simple. I then went to meet with 3 members of the VMware team in Palo Alto. It was all a bit rushed, they proceeded to ask me a number of questions. It was mostly stuff on background, no case studies were involved. Curious about why VMware.

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Detailed and structured interview process with at least 3 people

Interview Questions

• Why you want to join company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Smooth and accomodating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Recruiter initially contacted me via LinkedIn. After I replied stating I wanted to discuss the position, a job description was emailed to me and the recruiter set up a phone interview for the following week. Interview was standard and went well. Recruiter said my information was being passed to the hiring manager who would contact me. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter saying they decided to consider "other candidates who were a better match". I give them points for at least following up to let me know.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specifc cross-functional project team project you led and the organizatons involved.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

1st Conference call with HR to understand the expectations and work profile
    2nd Conference call with Hiring Manager and Matrix Manager from US focussed on basics of Project Management, kind of work done, situations faced and tools knowledge and their usage
    3rd In Person Interview with 3 people in Bangalore office checking if the candidate would be a good fit for the team and assess other basic skills and personality.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (New Delhi (India)) in October 2016.

Interview

Extremely well organised and friendly.The talent acquisition person was well informed on the subject of discussion and background on the person taking the interview. I had 4 rounds of interview- Phone, telepresence and Webex in a matter of 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a certain project scenario where you cost and time is running out of control? How to handle customer relationships during this period?
      What proactive plans would you keep in hand   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2014.

Interview

Interview process went for about more than 2 1/2 months with 6 rounds & A PPT presentation...if you have abundance of patient..and you are willing to wait... Be prepared for Last minute surprises..like interview getting cancelled..after your reach the premises..

Interview Questions

• Very basic project Questions. but also the trick is..Be prepared for Onsite Interview. Since he/she may not understand..how or what you do...as a project manager..they expect some different approach like lean...agile practices...that they expect you to implement in that project...like i said most of the indian companies..we only adopt what the organisation expect out of us...   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2013.

Interview

I had forwarded my resume via an employee referral.
    1) Almost 2-3 weeks after sending over my resume, I received the first call. It was a telephonic screening done by a recruiter from the HR department.
    2) A week after that I had a tele interview by my hiring manager who was based out of the US. She asked me generic stuff about my current profile and PM processes I follow. Because of the similarity in my current profile with their requirements, she sounded confident of my candidature.
    3) A week later I had another tele interview round by my hiring manager's manager i.e. a US based Director. He seemed to be a pretty smart guy and asked me situation based questions like "what would you do if I gave you a day to prepare a status presentation for a project which you know nothing about" etc..
    4) A couple of days later, I was asked to appear in another tele interview. The Bangalore based local Director(an NIT + IIM-L grad) interviewed me and asked me about my interest areas, career goals etc..

A week after all of the above, I was asked to come down to their Bangalore office since most of their US based guys had flown down here for that whole week. Here's what happened in the F2F interviews which followed:
    5) Met up with the US hiring manager. She was brimming with enthusiasm and appeared to be a very smart lady. She kept on showing me samples of work that I'm expected to do(status presentations etc.). We had a detailed chat about PM processes in VMware and at my current job.
    6) Met up another US based Director(of Indian origin). An IIT-KGP + IIM-A combo, he seemed to be a very sharp intellect. Asked me many tangential questions such as "why don't you aspire to be a Solution Manager instead of being a pure-play a Project Manager" etc..
    7) Met up with the local Director(#4) again. This time he spoke to me for almost 30 min re: the work environment and what I should expect at VMware Bangalore.

The whole process lasted 2 months starting from forwarding my resume to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions

• Why don't you aspire to be a Solution Manager instead of being a pure-play a Project Manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered an astronomical "Total Earning Opportunity per year" figure. Much of that was filled with cash variables, insurance premium and stock units. I declined the initial figure offered to me so they bumped it up by another Rs. 50k per year. Overall didn't give me much scope to negotiate and I had to unwillingly accept the offer.