VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 5, 2017

3.2

76 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

They would hold four rounds onsite mostly in open area. In each round, there would be one-on-one interview with probably a manager of each team that is hiring. They either ask you to write on paper or whiteboard. You will discuss about your projects.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I asked an employee to refer me, first I got an OA to finish.
    The oa is quite hard, but I got the onsite chance.
    The onsite questions are all from leetcode, and all hard questions, you should prepare a lot for that.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

This was the online screening interview question. This was a 75 minutes interview. I was asked to answer three questions. This was a referral from a friend. The recruiter demanded to do this online interview as soon as possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

4-round on-site interview. 3 round in the morning and we had lunch, then one round in afternoon. The interviews are independent, all of them are combination of behaviour questions and coding questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. number of islands
      2. word break
      3. os basics
      4. network basics   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware in August 2017.

Interview

I was sent a coding challenge by hackerrank to solve. This was given more than 2 weeks of time. The test was much harder than expected and involved question which were not relevan to my domain

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

this is the simplest interview I ever been too....but the real problem is not the interview but the HR's.
    I interviewed twice in a month with different teams (NSBU and NSX) in Vmware, dammm simple interviews...but after the interview HR told me that they will revert back to me within a week, one HR even said after the interview that the team really like you and they want you onboard...but after that they never contacted me, I had tried sending them reminder email but no reply....VMware have horrible HR's....I would not recommend this company to anyone.....I don't care how busy there life is but its basic courtesy to reply...I hope vmware teach them basic "Human Resource" management, since they lack it horribly

Interview Questions

• add 1 + number given in linked list
      lca of bst   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by two hour long technical interviews. Initial screening was helpful because they asked me what my interests were. Technical interviews were medium difficulty, covered topics in data structures and testing.

Interview Questions

• Understanding of data structures, testing to see if I understood where to use certain structures.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview with the recruiter, with whom I talked about my research experience and expectations from the internship. Then, I had another phone interview with the manager, who briefed my over what the interview would be like and the kind of questions I can expect. I was also asked about the classes I am taking in college. Finally, I had a technical interview with the project leader.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was so excited about the offer, I forgot to negotiate. :(

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 Rounds: Online Coding challenge and 3 Onsite Interview

Coding challenge was easy.
    On-site interviews were difficult. One of the interviewer made me feel very nervous. The interviewer expected perfect and most optimized answers. Second best answer and an idea of the best one does not work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Four people interview(1 to 1, each people will cost 45 min), please feel easy, they are very nice.
    If you do not have some difficulty, you could communicate with interviewer in time. They will give some tips.