VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

VMware Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

this is the simplest interview I ever been too....but the real problem is not the interview but the HR's.
I interviewed twice in a month with different teams (NSBU and NSX) in Vmware, dammm simple interviews...but after the interview HR told me that they will revert back to me within a week, one HR even said after the interview that the team really like you and they want you onboard...but after that they never contacted me, I had tried sending them reminder email but no reply....VMware have horrible HR's....I would not recommend this company to anyone.....I don't care how busy there life is but its basic courtesy to reply...I hope vmware teach them basic "Human Resource" management, since they lack it horribly

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screening followed by two hour long technical interviews. Initial screening was helpful because they asked me what my interests were. Technical interviews were medium difficulty, covered topics in data structures and testing.

Interview Questions

• Understanding of data structures, testing to see if I understood where to use certain structures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

First, I had a phone interview with the recruiter, with whom I talked about my research experience and expectations from the internship. Then, I had another phone interview with the manager, who briefed my over what the interview would be like and the kind of questions I can expect. I was also asked about the classes I am taking in college. Finally, I had a technical interview with the project leader.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was so excited about the offer, I forgot to negotiate. :(

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

4 Rounds: Online Coding challenge and 3 Onsite Interview

Coding challenge was easy.
    On-site interviews were difficult. One of the interviewer made me feel very nervous. The interviewer expected perfect and most optimized answers. Second best answer and an idea of the best one does not work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (San Jose, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Four people interview(1 to 1, each people will cost 45 min), please feel easy, they are very nice.
    If you do not have some difficulty, you could communicate with interviewer in time. They will give some tips.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware in October 2016.

Interview

Taken an online assessment, and then had an on-campus interview with two software engineers of the company. Was provided with both object-oriented programming questions and also given some questions in regards to solving a real world problem.

Interview Questions

• Implement a data structure that keeps track of 50 integers. How would you build this data structure to check if an element is present, and if the structure is full, remove the oldest element? There are also no duplicates.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied in career fair and got an online assessment in one week. The OA has 5 questions, you should finish in one hour. It is not very difficult but very time limited. Then I got an onsite interview. There were four rounds, and one of them is about system design. The other rounds consist of CS fundamentals, projects in resume and coding problems. I am not doing good in the system design part.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware in August 2016.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter, and shared the background and skill sets. The coding test was held after a week. It was based on Java and fairly an easy question to be completed by 90 mins. The recruiter was very helpful till the initial stage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in June 2016.

Interview

All day, multiple phases, but felt like it could end abruptly after each phase. Talked with an assortment of managers, and also a couple of senior engineers. I sat for 3 morning interviews, was taken to lunch (not sure if this is normal), and then sat for 3 afternoon interviews. Each interview was different. One person gave me a written programming test, another did a thought experiment, another asked me to whiteboard the solution to a programming challenge, another asked me to diagram the internals of an application framework.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe the internal mechanism involved in the Ruby implementation of enumerables. This seemed to be an off-the-cuff question, flowing from a discussion of various languages, and their strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

First the HR sent me a online coding test, including some multiple choice questions on network and one coding question. After finished it, I have been schedule to a phone interview with an engineer. I was asked to write code on an online editor.