Viasat Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Viasat

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Viasat.

Interview

Had an recruiter phone interview, followed by hiring manager phone interview, followed by an in person half a day interview on campus. There was an hour panel interview after which I had several one on one conversations with individuals from the panel. It was a thorough but quick process. There was ample opportunity for me to ask questions. In fact, come prepared with well thought out questions you want to ask as it is encouraged and shows your interest.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a few homework questions ahead of time and had to prepare a presentation with my answers. I then presented in front of a panel and had to answer follow up questions on the fly.   1 Answer

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Denver, CO).

Interview

Interviewed with HR then went on to phone interview with hiring manager. Found this to be extremely unprofessional and poorly organized. The hiring manager canceled my interview twice at the very last minute. For our third rescheduled interview I never received a call and when following up was told 3 hours later after sending an email to reschedule that he had something come up last minute and the position had been filled. This lack of consideration and professionalism should indicate this is a poorly run organization with no regard for others

Interview Questions

• Stay away from this company. Extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate   1 Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Viasat (San Diego, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

It was a lot of work trying to get ViaSat to even notice me. My first interview with them was with a software engineer over the phone with a variety of technical questions.

Since then, I haven't heard back from the company. They have already given out all of their offers for the year and told me that they would get back to me if they had any rejections. I don't expect them to get back to me.

From speaking with this software engineer, I learned more about his experience at the company. One of the main things that stuck out to me was that roles are not as rigid as much as he would like them to be.

Interview Questions

• What is the main differences between Java and Python?   2 Answers
    • What is the difference between a process and a thread?   1 Answer
    • What are the 4 main concepts in Object Oriented Programming?   1 Answer
    • How would I create two buttons in HTML, give them properties in CSS, and give them functions to execute when they are clicked?   1 Answer

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds screening, architect and final low level. All face to face in Chennai, technical little tough, i have done well, initially they said got positive feedback but later after one week they said rejected without proper reasons. Dont know what is there expectation u need little luck too.

Interview Questions

• mostly on what we are current working   2 Answers
    • second round logging framework some architect questions   2 Answers
    • third fully low level java related basic questions   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Denver, CO).

Interview

Had the typical phone screen like everyone else.

Conversed with some lady on the other end and was NOT impressed by this company at all. The other person didn't have a clue as to basically anything that went in the software development world. Like other reviewers experienced, the person I spoke to seemed very unprofessional. In the end, I decided to not pursue the on-site interview since I did not want to work with those kind of people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viasat (College Park, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

Information session at University, followed by on-campus interview. There after, the candidates who get shortlisted will be called ofr on-site interview at their main location.Based on the performance of the on-site interview, decision is made whether to hire a candidate.I was interviewed on-campus during september 2014 but they haven't responded even after two months. Overall, it is difficult process but you can learn a lot through the process.

Interview Questions

• They asked about some new network protocol which we were unaware of.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

5 hours of technical interviews

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly expected like many other interviews, linked lists some OS concepts etc.   1 Answer

location

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Asked me regarding my project experiences - a game I made. He asked me about a comment I made regarding how I learned how to implement the tick on my resume to measure every moment of the game. I answered.

He then asked about my internship etc.

Then he asked a programming question, how to implement a function (in any language) that returned in index of a fibonacci sequence. Very straightforward and easy, however, I had difficulty understanding what he wanted at first. After thinking I understood what he wanted I made an assumption (that the fibonacci array was passed in) but evidently it was not. When I gave my code he asked where my array was passed in. I responded by saying I assumed it was passed in. He condescendingly responded by saying with an amusing facial expression "Umm... No I didn't...". Was it inappropriate? Probably, I wasn't phased though. I recognized I had difficulty figuring out exactly what he wanted and what was passed into the function. Regardless I fixed it and he checked and the function turned out correct.

We then had 3 minutes left and he asked my if I had any questions. I thought for about five seconds and said I didn't, I was familiar with the company and my role. He responded indignantly and this time a bit rudely stating: "Well if you have no more questions we should just end this interview right now" and smirking.

It was amusing, I again wasn't phased I just didn't quite understand why he was attempting to be such a jerk. Hence, I asked questions I didn't really care about to get him to lighten up again. The note we ended was a bit better.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were standard phone interviews initially, then they flew me down for an in person interview. This was one of my first interviews upon graduating college so I wasn't quite sure what to expect other than there might be fizz buzz questions. While I think I did ok on that portion, I wasn't ready for them to scrutinize my resume.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about operating systems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viasat (Carlsbad, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

The initial phone screen consisted of questions regarding the use of interrupts, what a RTOS meant, UML usages, software design process.

The onsite wasn't that aggressive, standard C and C++ type questions, if you've prepared it wouldn't be a problem, what's a volatile variable, how is it used, the use of static, C++ access specifier.
    Whiteboard problems consisted of implementing strcat, create a function that would shift an 8bit lower nibble with the upper nibble. It wasn't nothing terribly complicated.
    Other than the hiring manager, everyone seemed ill prepared and was basically reading off the information from my resume. The campus and environment seemed very nice. The employees I spoke too seemed stress free.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Viasat (Germantown, MD) in March 2012.

Interview

The entire proces moves very fast and they make decision within 24 hours after the on site interview.
    People were nice, interview questions are easy.

Interview Questions

• OS concept, database design, challenges you had and how you overcome   1 Answer