Controller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Controller Interview Questions

"When hiring a controller, a company will look for candidates who have the business mindset, accounting experience, and essential soft skills to oversee the entire accounting department. Before interviewing for a controllership, prepare to answer questions not only about your knowledge of accounting, but also about your management strategies, communication skills, and knowledge of business operations."

Top Interview Questions

Sort: RelevancePopular Date

How far apart is the hour and minute hand a 3:15?

6 Answers

7.5 degrees

360 degrees on the clock. Each number is 360/12 = 30 degrees apart from one another. at 3:15, the minute hand is at 3 while the hour hand is 15/60 = 1/4 away from 3. So (1/4) * 30 = 30/4 = 7 + 2/4 = 7.5 degrees

The previous two answers are incorrect. If it is 3:15, the hour hand and minute hand are in the same orientation. Therefore they would be 0 degrees apart.

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Imagine you make a very complicated calculation in excel for a client who is going to make a decision. After you reviewed it a couple of times you notice you are going to save the client $10 million in taxes. You give it to your senior and your partner, who review your work. They agree on your calculation and tell the client about the tax savings and the meeting to finalize the transaction is tomorrow. It's 9 o'clock at night and you are finalizing the paperwork, and you suddenly realize you made a careless mistake on excel and instead of putting a minus, you put a plus, so the client is not going to save $10 million, but is going to owe $10 million. What do you do? How do you handle the situation?

2 Answers

What's the accounting equation? It wasn't difficult but it was unexpected and resulted in me having to ponder for several seconds to recall the information to mind

2 Answers

Can I balance a high stressed work environment and role being that I was a single mother.

What is an accrual?

2 Answers

They asked a question that was somewhat confusing at the time but made a lot of sense later. They asked how I would deal with monitoring the work done by payroll administrators even as I was not their supervisor but was still responsible for the accuracy and quality of their work. Ironically, this question rang in my ears for a long time--it was definitely a dilemma.

3 Answers

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

How did you handle a group member who didnt pull their weight?

2 Answers

Name the 4 most important financial statements and their uses.

1 Answer

When you're under a lot of pressure and tight deadlines, how do you manage your stress level?

1 Answer

Describe a time when you were pulled in many directions.

110 of 7,702 Interview Questions