Goldman Sachs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2018
4,070 Interview Reviews

3.2

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First Round was online on Hackerrank, two questions. First one is vector dot product.

Second one is tricky, which is to find the total number of pairs in array = k. I passed 5 of the test cases except 1.

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Received a straightforward hackerrank with 2 questions. 5 days later I was sent a hirevue link where I answered 4 purely behavioral questions in front of a webcam. 3 weeks later I attended one of GS's superdays.

The superday consisted of 2 interviews, both 45 minutes long. I was told that one interview was supposed to be technical and the second behavioral, but I think I ended up with 2 behavioral interviews because I didn't answer any technical questions. In both interviews, the interviewers went very in depth into my resume; nothing was off limits, so make sure you know every detail of each project listed on it.

I was initially told I would hear back in about 1-2 weeks but I heard back exactly 3 weeks after my superday with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a team member wasn't contributing after being confronted about his/her lack of contribution?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

There was an unusual video Interview. You answer the questions and you are recorded answering them. Mostly situational questions were asked and there were no technical questions in this round. Would recommend with a webcam by yourself before attempting.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Online interview through HireVue and HackerRank. HireVue interview asks questions of how you would react to different situations. HackerRank is a multiple choice math test ranging from linear algebra to stochastic processes.

Financial Analyst - Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Washington, DC) in February 2018.

Interview

First round was through HireVue. It felt very impersonal. The questions themselves were fine but they gave you 30 seconds to read a question (which each had about 4 follow ups included) and then 2 minutes to fully answer said question and all of its follow ups. I had applied for both IMD and Securities division (the questions are below).

About two weeks after that, I ended up being contacted to attend the Superday in Washington DC for the PWM - IMD role. They flew me out to DC and gave me a 9:00am-1:00pm "schedule" with literally no other details other than that it was 9-1 and who to ask for at the reception desk (a person's name that I never actually got the chance to meet). From there, it went down hill.
    My first interview lasted 30 mins. I was instructed to wait in the room for the next interviewer. Waited over 15 minutes when the interviewer rushed in, sat down, and started asking questions and never even introduced herself to me. She was rushing the interview and asked me about 4 questions total, then asked if I had any questions for her, and then she rushed out. Waited in the room again and a guy came in, also seemed a bit rushed, and asked me mostly behavioral questions. He informed me that he hadn't even looked at my resume at all, so he asked about my background mostly. He told me I probably had a few more interviews, so I asked him if I had time to use the restroom before the next round and he said yes. Came back to find him waiting by the room to tell me that it turns out he was my last interview. He quite literally ushered me to the elevator and told me they would contact me within the next few days. However, I had to go retrieve my coat and bag from the coat closet, and noticed the other two candidates were still in interviews.

I've been through a few Superdays at this point, so having a first and second round within one day is not abnormal, but not being transparent about that to the candidates is certainly unprofessional. Not to mention that there was no one actually running or supervising this event. On top of that, all three interviewers had only been working with Goldman and in that office for a year or less than a year. So I was flown to DC and stayed in a hotel for a night for about an hour and a half of rushed interviews. It left me with a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the PWM division and Goldman Sachs as a whole.

Here is (basically) every question I was asked:

1st interview:
    Tell me about yourself.

If I was off the grid for this past year (no access to news/media), give me a high level overview of what has happened in the world/financial markets. (semi technical)

If I had 25 million and was your client, how would you invest it? (technical)

Do you work better in a team or as an individual?

Tell me about a time you worked well with a team.

Tell me about a time you were innovative.

Tell me about a time you solved a problem.

Give me 1 strength and 1 weakness.

Why PWM?

Interview 2:
    Tell me about yourself.

Asked about each section/experience on my resume and what I did/what I found interesting about working at certain places.

Why I wasn't returning to where I interned.

Why Goldman Sachs and why PWM?

Interview 3:
    Walk me through your resume.

Give me 1 strength and 1 weakness.

Tell me about a time you worked well with a team, and also about a time you didn't work so well with a team.

How closely do you follow the markets/do you know what they are doing? (I think this was supposed to be technical? who knows)

Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly and how did you do it?

---

It was quite clear they didn't really know what to ask in the interviews and did not meet or collaborate with the other interviewers to make sure I wasn't being asked the same thing over and over again (which I was, if you read the questions above). Again, it was also clear (not just because they each told me) that all of my interviewers were very low level and not quite sure what to do. I just had the Superday, so haven't gotten an official response yet, but I think I can assume I won't be getting it.

That said, this whole process seemed like an embarrassment for Goldman Sachs, a company I expected would handle things in a streamlined and professional manner.

**Also, to be fully transparent here (and hopefully this was/is irrelevant to their decision), my second interviewer was the only woman I saw in the office, and I was the only female candidate.

Interview Questions

• If you had a sick classmate that obtained a copy/answers to an exam and said they wanted to use them to study, what would you do? (and what would your thought process be, how would you approach them, etc)   Answer Question
    • If you were in a fundraising group that focused on diversity, how would you promote inclusion?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you were excited about a project, and how did it impact the result? (why were you excited, what did you do because of that, etc)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you didn't have enough information to make a decision? (what did you do about it, how did you end up making the decision, what was the result, etc)   Answer Question
    • Specific to IMD: In the investment management division, do you feel like you would work better behind the scenes with data and research, or working directly with clients, and why? (and how do your experiences and skills fit into that, etc)   Answer Question
    • Specific to Securities Division: What asset class interests you the most and why?   Answer Question

Software Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Went to a recruiting event for college students. I did not do enough prep for the technical portion, read the question wrong and did poorly. I was not very upset about this as I was looking at this as a way to build up interviewing skills. I assumed they would not contact me. A few days later they invited me to another event to interview and then called the day before to change the invite as they were confused about who I was. After about a week they called me at 5 or 6PM, left a message and when I called the next day at 9AM they forgot who I was, thanked me for going to the event they uninvited me to. I appreciate the recruiters made an effort to be more personable in an awkward situation, but they messed up repeatedly.

Interview Questions

• Some HackerRank problems. Nothing crazy but there is a short time limit which means you need to be sure to read the question clearly   Answer Question

Operations - Associate/Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in February 2018.

Interview

First applied online in October 2017, phone interview in November and finally onsite interview in February 2018. Phone interview was straight forward and recruiter was very accessible throughout the process.
    Onsite interview was a series of three, 30 minute interviews with a Product Manager, Associate and finally a Program Manager. Good interviewers, highly engaged, asked good questions and gave thoughtful answers.
    Know your resume, have solid examples of experience with a clear narrative and practice your "elevator pitch".

Strats Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

After passing HackerRank and the video interview, I got invited to superday.
    There were four 45 minute back to back interviews. Each interview was supposed to test one of you skills/qualities. Some of the things they were testing in the interviews:
    - Ability to explain a difficult concept to a non-expert
    - Interest/knowledge of news
    - Writing code by hand with some direction/help
    - Integrity (will you report cheating/misconduct if you see it?)
    - Probability/statistics knowledge
    I found the probability component very difficult. The brain teaser that I was asked seemed impossible for me to be able to do on the spot. I suggest practicing many probability concepts and brain teaser to prepare.

Interview Questions

• How do you write a function that takes the square root of a number without using any built-in exponential function?   Answer Question

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

There was an online hackerrank which had easy coding questions. The next step was a hireview which was all behavioral. The in person interview had two rounds. First round a combo of behavioral and technical and second was round was all technical.

Summer Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Irving, TX) in February 2018.

Interview

Hackerrank coding challenge followed by Hirevue interview.

Later I interviewed at GS Irving office in Texas. Had 2 rounds of 45 mins each. The first interview had questions related to my resume, Machine learning, probability and coding. The second interview focused on puzzle-solving and a few other banking-related questions along with behavioral ones.

Interview Questions

• Minimum number of races to find the fastest horse among 25 races and a racecourse where 5 horses can be raced simultaneously.   1 Answer