Goldman Sachs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017
3,493 Interview Reviews

3.2

Technology Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Applied in late July 2017 for Summer 2018. Received Hackerrank technical assessment which was 2 questions, not particularly challenging and was about basic string and array manipulation. Still waiting to hear back, will edit.

Interview Questions

• Basic string and array manipulation   1 Answer

Equity Sales Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

First two round over the phone. Standard fit questions regarding the role. Last interview was at the Gs office where I sat with a couple of analysts and the MD discussing how I fit the role.

Payroll Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ).

Interview

Applied online, and a recruiter emailed me the next day to schedule a phone screen. the following day another person reached out to schedule the interview - which ended up being the following week. met with 4 people for 30 minutes each. recruiter called me after the interview to see how it went. later that day she asked for my college GPA and current salary. 2 days later was told they did not want to move forward

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for a financial services company, having never worked for one before   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

Accelerated IB interview, got return offer for another interview. Interview was not too bad and everyone was pretty nice. Would definitely recommend. Very much a get to know you type of conversation.

Interview Questions

• Simple NPV of $1 with a 10% discount rate over 10 years.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2017.

Interview

After a live coding challenge using CoderPen, I came in for a three-hour on-site interview with four different interviewers. They concentrated only a little on technical questions and more on diving into the projects I'd worked on, what decisions I'd made on those projects, and why.

Interview Questions

• How to fashion a SQL query to connect the departures and arrivals of boarding passes to make one contiguous journey.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a technical interview through screen sharing. First, walk me through your resume, tell me about your projects. And there were many technical concepts questions. After that coding.
    The interviewer was really nice and she tried to comfort me throughout the process since I was really nervous. Even if I didn't get an offer it was a valuable experience.

PWM Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT) in July 2017.

Interview

1-2 interviewers with 2 30 minute sessions. The recruiting agent told me to come on the wrong day of the week resulting in me spending another day in Salt Lake. The E-mail confirmation had the correct day, but I entered the day on my calendar during the phone call. Double check the dates.

Customer Service Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

Had 1 phone screening with Recruiter, 3 onsite in person interviews, then 1 final phone screening with Human Resources. Then they started a very in depth 6 point background check; credit, employment, addresses, education, compensation, drug

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you faced a difficult situation at work and how did you over come it?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

After I submitted my online application, I had a Hirevue interview for 2/3 divisions I applied for (Investment Banking and Management Divisions). The interview lasted about 15 minutes. I had 5 behavioral questions and 1 question for each division.

Strategic Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Goldman Sachs (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a Strats Analyst position. Didn't get an offer and I didn't personally have a great experience, but it might just not have been the team for me.

Background: Non-target school, STEM background, some coding experience. Applied online on a whim and did a coding challenge. I'm pretty sure I applied for another position (Tech Analyst, but don't remember). Surprised to get asked to do any interviews.

After recruiter reached out, had some technical phone screens. Each was pretty much the same, answer some behavioral questions, then one or two technical questions with a mix of CS, numerical analysis, and statistics. Some interviewers seemed really engaged and pleasant to talk to, others weren't.

Flown in for an NYC interview. They put you up in a nice hotel next door, but honestly, you don't really get too much time to enjoy the city or the Hotel. Everything is paid for though. Bombed this in person interview, though in hindsight all the problems were actually pretty easy and I definitely should have been able to do a lot better than I did. Some interviewers obviously cared more than others, some were nicer than others (that's how it goes). That being said, if you're not the type to work in a bank, don't apply. From what I gathered from hearing from all my interviewers and throughout the process, working a strats job is not some magical coding master piece. The technical aspects to what you're doing is fundamentally easy and once you have the background, you're not going to run into a bunch of super interesting problems. Your goal is maximize revenue and you have to be good at it. If you're looking for an adventure where you get to explore new tech at your whim, this is not the job for you.

My suggestion as far as studying: know algorithms for math type stuff (root finders, basic numerical diff eq, linear algebra), statistical programming, and dynamic programming. Basically, if its used to maximize revenues, chances are you could expect a question on it.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions probably about easy-medium leetcode/hackerrank/ctci. Much of it was math/background focused. Also make sure you know why you want to work at Goldman.   Answer Question