Research Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Research Intern Interview Questions

Research intern interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

3) Poker. 26 red, 26 black. Take one every time, you can choose to guess whether it’s red. You have only one chance. If you are right, you get 1 dollar. What’s the strategy? And what’s the expected earn?

12 Answers

expected earn is 25 cents. 1/2*1/2*1, prob of choosing to guess is 1/2, prob of guessing right is 1/2, and the pay is $1

I would start picking cards without making a decision to reduce the sample size. This is risky because I could just as easily reduce my chances of selecting red by taking more red cards to start, as I could increase my chances of selecting red by picking more black cards first. But I like my chances with 52 cards, that at some point, I will at least get back to 50% if I start off by picking red. Ultimately, I can keep picking cards until there is only 1 red left. But I obviously wouldn't want to find myself in that situation so I would do my best to avoid it, by making a decision earlier rather than later. Best case scenario, I pick more blacks out of the deck right off the bat. My strategy would be to first pick 3 cards without making a decision. If I start off by selecting more than 1 red, and thus the probability of guessing red correctly is below 50%, then I will look to make a decision once I get back to the 50% mark. (The risk here is that I never get back to 50%) However, if I pick more than 1 black card, then I will continue to pick cards without making a choice until I reach 51% - ultimately hoping that I get down to a much smaller sample size, and variance is reduced, while odds are in my favor that I choose correctly. The expected return, in my opinion, all depends on "when" you decide to guess. If you decide to guess when there is a 50% chance of selecting correctly, then your expected return is 50 cents (50% correct wins you $1 ; 50% incorrect wins $0 --- 0.5 + 0 = .5) If you decide to guess when there is a 51% chance of selecting red correctly, then the expected return adjusts to (0.51* $1) + (0.49 * $0) = 51 cents. So, in other words, your expected return would be a direct function of the percentage probability of selecting correctly. i.e. 50% = 50 cents, 51% = 51 cents, 75% equals 75 cents. Thoughts?

There is symmetry between red and black. Each time you pull a card it is equally likely to be red or black (assuming you haven't looked at the previous cards you pulled). Thus no matter when you guess you odds are 50% and the expected return should be 50 cents.

2) A. 10 ropes, each one has one red end and one blue end. Each time, take out a red and a blue end, make them together. Repeat 10 times. The expectation of the number of loops. B. 10 ropes, no color. All the other remains the same.

7 Answers

Suppose you have two covariance matrices A and B. Is AB also a covariance matrix? Suppose that, by plain dumb luck, we also have that AB=BA. Is AB a covariance matrix under this additional condition?

10 Answers

1) Tow coins, P(head)=1/3, P(tail)=2/3, design a way to get the effect of fair coin

5 Answers

Suppose you have 100 GB of data that you want to sort, but you only have 1 GB of memory. How would you sort this data?

7 Answers

What do you see as the current trend of PC gaming?

2 Answers

If you were working in a neat set-up and found that a tool was missing which was needed to complete a task quickly to meet a deadline, what would you do? If no replacement tool was found, how would you handle missing the importatnt deadline?

Why not medical school?

1 Answer

What makes me qualified for this position and why?

1 Answer

The assessment is a mix of IQ questions and a personality test. There are Raven's Progressive Matrices shapes within the test that I did not see coming.

110 of 175 Interview Questions