Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 35 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field (in 124 reviews)

• We do a great job of making that week incredible for all of our district managers and above (in 85 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Csr1 in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Housing is provided at most locations

Cons

You are on site this can be a con as well

3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very challenging but never boring work. Have been with company for many years and always undertaking something new and challenging. While it is a demanding environment you are rewarded well. Don’t feel pigeon holed as I have been exposed to all areas of the business which is unique to an organization so large. Exciting to come to work each day and not burdened with repetitive day in and day out tasks. The people are excellent and excel in their jobs and are always willing to assist others. This company is strong financially and is well positioned to continue to lead the industry.

Cons

Benefits are average and would love to be able to add spouse at reasonable cost.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I appreciate the Flexible Work Schedules since I commute a long distance. They also offer Lots of opportunity for advancement. All of the employees are friendly and Helpful. They seem to genuinely care about the employees and their families.

Cons

Long Commute and no rideshare

6. ""A" Property Manager"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No night, two days off at a time, DM usually is willing to work with days off. Busy season during the summer, the rest of the time is pretty slow. Apartments on property isn't bad but the age of the facility makes a difference for how nice it is. For most getting fired is a challenge. Team work is mostly dependable. OT- Overtime is almost always available.

Cons

Retaliated against if sales of merchandise , locks and mostly insurance isn't at they're ridiculous expectations. High turnover rate. Cannot get promoted any higher than Property Manager if you start in the field. Almost impossible to use vacation. The pay isn't great compared to the amount of work that has to be done. Property Managers have no authority at all. Took away incentives program but expects the same incentive with no rewards for upselling or going out of the way for the team and customer. Call center usually gets store employees yelled at contantly for making reservations customers dont want. Sometimes takes months to get work orders approved and fixed by vendors. Borderline false advertisment company.

Advice to Management

Give property managers more authority to make decisions at the property they run since they're the ones at the facility and with the customers. Property Managers know the property better than someone that's in a different state. The average property manager should make no less than $14 hr. Relief manager should make no less than $13hr. Raise the cap of Max pay for field employees (relief and property managers)

"Greedy, careless company!"

Former Employee - Property Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-little supervision
    -if you're lucky, a large apartment for free
    -wide array of tenants

Cons

Most of the properties are worn down but the company is too greedy to fix things. They're too busy buying out all the competition. When my tenants would have items ruined from snow or rain management would say, "just offer them plastic sheeting to cover their things. We're not replacing anything." They could care less about their customers let alone the employees. Each tenant is just a number and is easily replaceable. The company is ALL ABOUT the share holders, not employees or tenants. Not to mention there's no room for growth. You start as a relief manager and you can become a property manager next but that's as high as you go. They tell you in the interview, "we only higher upper management positions from outside the company. Why you ask? Because while we struggle to make ends meet at minimum wage they pay their upper management close to, if not over, six figures a year. Complete garbage!

Advice to Management

Maybe respect and take care of your employees. Stop treating your customers like numbers. Granted this company will never improve. I moved out of state and needed storage for about 2 months and the employees here had the same complaints as back home.

8. "A friendly work environment"

Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service Coordinator in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Customer Service Coordinator in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at the Public Storage Corporate offices because there's a friendly work environment. It a place where you can be established and grow. Management is great and very approachable.

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

9. "Worst place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working here

Cons

Public Storage is the worst and most frustrating job I have ever experienced. There is no employee appreciation and they make it clear you are easily disposable. The customers that call in are also absolutely rude and mean. Public Storage has very unrealistic expectations for their sales employees. This place is a miserable place to work and I would never recommend anyone to work here.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employee and stop holding sales to such unrealistic standards.

10. "Great place to work independently"

Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Castro Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Property/Manager in Castro Valley, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence
    Great team
    Customer interaction
    Great opportunities
    Great 401k plan
    Employee discounts on numerous things
    Set schedule 9:30-6pm
    Work in different stores everyday
    Monthly meetings to help you where you struggle
    KTP that guides you through any struggles

Cons

Not many holidays off.
    Driving far out
    A lot of computer interaction
    I don't really have any cons .

Advice to Management

More holidays off

"District Manager"

Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - District Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stock options were a nice incentive.
    Pay was good.

Cons

Having a remote market, meant constant travel (a lot of overnights).
    Working in the cold, hot and rainy weather (lock cuts and auctions).

Advice to Management

Please recognized solid performers.