Public Storage Reviews | Glassdoor

Public Storage Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work-life balance is better than most companies at the DM level (in 36 reviews)

• Starting as a District Manager, you can advance into a Senior DM role and Regional Manager role in a realistic amount of time (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • They don't hire within the company, the highest you could become is property manager (in 135 reviews)

• The District Managers don't even know how to do the basics (in 92 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"An Objective Review"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking – this is the best company I have ever worked for. It is a company and management structure that rewards hard work and people who do the right thing. Integrity and hard work are priceless and the standard daily.
    One of the best parts of the job is that while everyone who works here is competitive with one another, there is a sense of team work I have never experienced before. If you need support – it is there for you if you ask.
    A lot of people talk about the growth potential that PS offers, and I am living proof of how successful you can be here. I have been with the company for just over 3 years and have been successfully promoted multiple times! You won’t find that kind of growth potential in normal retail hours.
    That is another piece of the equation as well – the work life balance is superior to anything I have experience before in retail.
    The best part of the job is you control your own destiny. Hard work, dedication, personal development, and always striving for more from the team you manage are characteristics that are cherished and rewarded here at PS.

Cons

The workload at times can be heavy. It can come in waves, and without a strong work ethic to push through and resolve efficiently there is a tendency to get bogged down in administrative work versus coaching and training staff. Being able to push through and get back to the field is the key.

Advice to Management

The general turn around time for hiring in both the field staff and DM role is becoming progressively more challenging in our improving economy - any changes to stream line hiring for both of these roles would help reduce administrative work and allow more time in the field training and coaching field staff versus constant recruiting efforts.

2. "Corporate"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Public Storage has a great company culture. The people are great to work with and management is approachable and open to ideas. The balance sheet is strong and the company continues to grown and expand.

Cons

The workload can be heavy, but it does tend to balance out.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the modernization of the properties.

"Ok place to work"

I have been working at Public Storage full-time

Pros

Independent work most of the time, not too busy, great coworkers at other properties to help you out, good sales experience

Cons

No bonuses/raises of any kind ever, its corporate job so its tough to get maintenace on property approved so you have to deal with customer complaints over simple things, hard to want to work hard when great work goes unnoticed, company does not promote internally

Advice to Management

Listen to property/relief managers more, they deal w customer's face to face and know what needs improving

"It's Not The Best Job"

Current Employee - Relief Manager in Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Relief Manager in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good. Work by yourself. Pay is good.

Cons

Ridiculous Customers! Cleaning up after people (feces, throw up, trash, etc.) Rats, bugs....

"Property Manager / KTP"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits and set schedule. They do accommodate if you have school and need to leave for a reason related to that.

Cons

This company does not take care of their employees. You are single staffed every day but expected to literally run everything in the store alone, from heaters, cleaning , bathrooms, trash outside. Aside from the cleaning they take really long to fix items. I had a roof leaks in my property for the past 4 plus years because they refuse to fix the roof nor do they care if customer items are damaged. You have no room to move up so once you're a property manager that's it for you !! They never see nah good that you do .. everytime the bosses come around it's way to tell how "what you could improve" not the amazing things you do for them daily. You get one raise a year if that and they now removed the bonuses so you have no room to make extra money. ALSO YOU DO HAVE TO WORK HOLIDAYS AND WILL NOT GET PAID TIME AND HALF.

Advice to Management

Always have 2 people at store, actually fix items when work orders are submit, allow room to grow, appreciate and give feed back when someone is doing good & actually teach what you guys ask for. I was told to check heaters so properties wouldn't flood, but never taught how to do that. To check if timers for lights are right but never learned that.. and the list goes on. I just feel for such a large company that makes so much money that employees and customers would be #1 but it's not the case. Lack of employees is the reason customers get mad and show up during office hours but the door is closed because the ONE employee is on break.

"Notice that all 5 star reviews are from the same time period, almost like a campaign, and say pretty much the same thing"

Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - District Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are well written, but how many employees would really take that much time to write so much, seems more like a recruiting effort. Seriously, about 10 are from the same week, several from the same day. I am on Glassdoor a lot, and that is a phenomena, and completely absurd.

Notice also how they all say nothing negative under 'cons'. Basically stating that you just need a good work ethic to get over the insane amount of work. We were actually told at a divisional meeting that we had to manage our families better so we would have more time for Public Storage...

Cons

They lie, right to your face. Everything in their recruiting is a lie. They will ridicule and intimidate you from the very beginning of the job, and anyone who steps up is relentlessly tormented and fired. I saw the #1 and #3 guys in our division fired for poor performance (seriously!) because they spoke out against management.

Advice to Management

I wish Glassdoor was able to monitor their activity, but please be smart about your decision. This company used to have a 30% - 40% approval rating until they started posting fake reviews. I only just saw this and decided I needed to post the truth. This company is horrible, to their managers, to their staff, and even to their customers. Make sure to read the 1 star reviews as well, you can then make up your mind.

"Not the best, Not the worst."

Former Employee - Property Manager in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Marietta, GA

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours were great. Easy job if you do it correctly.

Cons

Horrible training provided. Pay should be way better. Some facilities need major repairs and upgrades.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better and fix up the properties. Hire people who actually want to work and can perform simple tasks without help.

"What a joke! They post tons of opening and virtually impossible to get hired"

Pros

Lots of job "opportunities" and the positions look to be good

Cons

Way too many job postings, makes you wonder how many District Managers they turnover and why

Advice to Management

Your Senior District Manager team in the Southern California area needs to have better personality. Slow to respond to questions regarding job openings and then when you get the interview all they want to discuss is my personal opportunities instead of the job and other parts of the business. Then I was asked if I was going to move to take a District position that's was 2 miles outside of the 20 mile radius. No Way!! Not for the lousy salary they offered.

9. "Corporate Finance & Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People, People, People, People, People.....are the best. That's what's kept me with the company 25 years. Can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"High Expectations With No Reward"

Former Employee - Relief Manager
    Former Employee - Relief Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are not late shifts to work. You have the opportunity to be an onsite manager with an apartment fro a lower payrate.

Cons

The company created scripts for every interaction with a customer that you must follow and are tested regularly by the District Manager on your knowledge of these scripts. They want you to sell their overpriced boxes and moving supplies to every customer that walks in the door to rent a space with a lousy bonus program that only rewards the top few employees. Public Storage does not care about line level employees nor their customers. I watched them sell off a terminally ill man's unit who was waiting on a government check to make a payment. You also get put in a really bad spot as an employee when a tenant's unit gets broken into. Even if they buy the insurance (from a the insurance company Public Storage owns) the tenant will 9 times out of 10 NOT get a payout. Even after 30 plus units got broken into over a month's time the company did literally nothing to make the property more secure. Also there is no opportunity for advancement. Line level employees will never do better than being an onsite property manager.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and revise your compensation plan so that the bottom line actually benefits from sales of your products and high occupancy.