Public Storage Reviews

Updated May 11, 2021

3.7
Public Storage Chairman of the Board and CEO Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Pros
  • "And if I ever have issues that need to be addressed to my District Manager he will take the time to get it taken care of in a quick and timely manner(in 65 reviews)

• "Flexible schedules, great work/life balance, very supportive management(in 64 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No raise from Relief Manager to Property Manager position(in 173 reviews)

• "All district managers and above are hired from outside the company(in 114 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Public Storage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0

Great place to work

May 10, 2021 - Regional Manager in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very stable company, Plenty of room to advance, Work life balance is great,

Cons

Slow to change when needed, the field has very little influence on any aspect of the business plan looking forward.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working for one of the best companies out there!

Apr 22, 2021 - District Manager in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the greatest things about working for Public Storage really fall into feeling that the work that you do day in and day out really matter. Your contributions really can steer the business in the right direction. Work life balance is also very good. Public Storage really allows me to unplug whenever I have PTO. Lastly, the leadership from our peers and managers really make all the difference. I always feel valued and the feedback I receive is always geared to help me be a better manager.

Cons

There are very few downsides. The only downside that I could see bother some, is the distance that it would take to get to your assigned district. Once you're in the district. Properties are very close. but some may not like the amount of travel that they have to do to get there. For me, I don't mind driving, but I can see where others may not like it.

3. 5.0

Job Security!!!

Mar 29, 2021 - District Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

When my friends and family were unfortunately getting laid off or furloughed during the pandemic I had job security. Public storage is a financially strong company that never skipped a beat during 2020. We still received yearly raises, quarterly bonuses, and additional stock. I also felt very safe working the day to day since we had to follow very detailed safety protocols. I am very proud of how Public storage handled the pandemic. I would also have to say another pro about public storage is upper management leaves their titles at the door. Everyone I’ve met and worked with have been very friendly, welcoming, and genuinely wants feedback from you on how we can make things stronger. Not only do they want the feedback they actually implement it! The day to day job is very fast paced, there is always something to do, and you are given the flexibility to run your district how you see fit.

Cons

You have to be okay with knowing the job will never be done. This is something I took some getting used to. If you are one of those people who need to mark everything off your to do list for the day just know there will be a couple things that will pop up and they will go straight to the top of your priority list. Non- priority items will have to get moved around. You can still feel accomplished in your day it just might not be what you originally had planned.

4. 5.0

Better work-life balance!

Mar 12, 2021 - District Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

I had been in retail management for many years when I decided to step out of my comfort zone and take a chance on Public Storage. I'm so grateful that I did and I've never looked back! I was welcomed in with open arms by an amazing and caring leadership team. My peers and supervisors were so supportive and helpful, and really made me feel valued as I learned my role. The work life balance is excellent compared to your typical big box retail and I think it's one of the best things about this position. We are in a booming industry and the company growth has been incredible, even throughout the pandemic. The company is constantly coming up with newer and better innovations to grow the business and I love being a part of that creative energy. With all that growth, comes plenty of opportunity at the DM level, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Managing all the change can be challenging and keeping your hourly staff motivated and engaged takes a lot of work. The hourly staff have very few opportunities for upward mobility, so selecting the right candidate is key. Delinquency management can also create some very difficult customer interactions for the property managers and DMs on a monthly basis.

5. 5.0

I love my job!

Mar 29, 2021 - District Manager in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

I value my career here even more than ever due to the fact that during Covid, alot of my friends and family were getting laid off from their positions and companies were downsizing and closing down and we didn't miss a beat. The company is stable and recession proof and stability is very important to me. I love that this position gives me such a great work life balance- I am a full-time working mom with 2 young kids and I love that my mornings and evenings can be dedicated to them without work distractions. This is not your typical retail position of opening super early and closing super late and being slammed and busy during holidays. We are open from 9:30 am to 6pm on weekdays and 9:30am to 5pm on Weekends and holidays are our slower times so we have more family time. Upper management is very hands on and involved and I always feel supported and heard.

Cons

I would love to be closed on Sundays completely but we cant have it all, right? I would love to see a wage increase for store level employees.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Job Stability!

Feb 21, 2021 - District Manager in Hampton, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

In an ever changing environment my job still being here tomorrow is not something I have to worry about, we have been here and are not going anywhere! We SAFELY stayed open during a Pandemic and continued to pay our employees at a higher rate during the transition! Public Storage consistently looks for new and innovating ways to better our business not just for the Guest but for our internal guest (our employees!) As well! One of my favorite parts of my job in the last two years has been travel, it has allowed me to learn from Leaders throughout the company at multiple levels and experience new cities at the same time. I have been able to travel to multiple States and Districts to support transitions and new acquisitions while continuing to prep for my current role. In a Management position I expect Leadership, Honesty, and Accountability, the team I work for strives for these values daily and is not afraid to push me to be a better Manager and Team Player each day.

Cons

In a environment such as ours you have to be able to stay on your toes, we DRIVE innovation, we DRIVE positive results, we DRIVE change this job requires flexibility on all fronts this job is for Leaders who are actively involved and can pivot in a moments notice.

HR

We appreciate your feedback, thank you.

7. 5.0

Great Compny

Apr 14, 2021 - District Manager in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great independence . There is a great team of DMs and SDMs who help support you along the way. The company is very well run and recently has started to make quick work to improve technology and employees jobs. The caliber of DMs and above is impressive and makes you want to succeed here.

Cons

Audits are stressful and lock cuts and managing plowing expectations in the winter can be difficult. It is hard to take an unexpected day off of work because tasks will still be due and if no one is watching your district things still need to be completed on time. There is a salary cap, although it takes a few years to reach it is a little disheartening.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best Career Decision: Life Changing!!! (Former Store Manager @Walmart)

Feb 19, 2021 - District Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Flexible, Generous PTO balance, Generous Stock Plan, Great People: As a district manager at Public Storage, I got my happy back. I am assigned to a complex district(that I love) and I still have the flexibility to enjoy my loved ones. I have nights and weekends off. I work from home on Thursdays. I have the ability manage my district the way I see fit. The success of my district is up to me. The best part is that I have a Regional Manager who has my back through it all. She is supportive , inspires confidence and accountability. And to top it off, we have fun reaching company goals. Stress level is minimal. I love it here and looking forward to the next steps! Overall great company that continues to acquire new portfolios across the country. A company that's here to stay.

Cons

Yes. I took a pay cut when measured against my Store Manager salary @ Walmart. The biggest difference is the annual bonus. Annual Bonus is given in the form of unvested stock awards. Not necessarily a con but an adjustment for sure.

HR

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Public Storage as great company to work for and be a member of a great team

Apr 8, 2021 - District Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am a full time District Manager for almost 27 years for Public Storage. #1 reason to be a long term employee is the team of employees who work for Public Storage from our CEO to our Property Managers, a great team of people who care of each other and support our goal to provide a great storage experience for our customers. Our culture is very supporting from all levels of my company. I will always recommend Public Storage for your career and personal growth to be a better person and leader.

Cons

Every company has opportunities however Public Storage is 100% transparent to listen and show support for all employees.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

7 Great Years and Counting!

Feb 19, 2021 - District Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

After 7 years I’ve seen industry innovations, improvements to processes and then more tweaks to make the already great culture even better! PS and our management teams absolutely listen to our customers, our employees and we use feedback for the purpose of bettering our customer experience, solidifying our place as the leader in the industry and improving the work life of our employees. Supervisory support, check! Work life balance, check! Recognition for a job well done, check! A place to grow your career, check! Best of all, the people! As a DM we are able to drive results through coaching diverse teams of people, all coming together with a common goal, solve our customers storage problem, with the right storage solution, at the best price and with the best customer service! Like I said, 7 years down and excited for many more!

Cons

With our growth strategy, constantly acquiring more square footage, and dominance in the industry you could be left behind if you’re not up for the challenge of keeping pace and keeping your team engaged. If your the type that engages your team daily, builds a culture within your team of support and growth then you’re golden.

HR

We appreciate you sharing your feedback, thank you.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,387 Reviews