Salesforce Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Salesforce Co-CEOs Marc Benioff and Keith Block
Marc Benioff and Keith Block

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (Outside of sales it seems)" (in 337 reviews)

• "Salesforce is a great corporate citizen with their 1-1-1 pledge" (in 132 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is hard if you don't meet targets" (in 220 reviews)

• "Being a remote worker can be tough as you are a bit on your own to build relationships in a fast paced environment" (in 89 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Please are great and super supportive. When you join the company, everyone is there for you, to help you learn and do the best you can. 6 months in, it's still the same.
    In addition, the culture of the company is great. Not only are you encouraged to support your colleagues but you're also encouraged to help the community. Volunteering is a big part of the company and trust and customer success are one of out most important values. We're not just saying it. We're actually practicing it too.
    In addition, for such a large company, we're moving lightning fast, we 3 major releases a year. This dictates a fairly fast pace for planning, developing and releasing.

Cons

I was asked that question when I interviewed candidates for an open position and I had a hard time answering the question.
    There are the typical large company issues such as many groups to coordinate when working on something, a bit of politics and bureaucracy and a lot of processes.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Wow - what can I say?"

Current Employee - Training in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Training in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management. Exciting work. Great teammates. Best job I've ever had.

Cons

Lots of work since the bar is set high.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"A wonderful company that is starting to not be so wonderful"

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salesforce is a destination company and there are few places where you will find so many truly interesting and gifted people in one firm. There is a real effort to continue to promote the company's values, including trust and equality. Support for philanthropy is significant (although I would agree with the reviewer who noted that "volunteer" activities are often anything but voluntary but rather expected/required. (Not to say that giving back is anything other than positive, but it's just worth noting that most company activities include it as part of the agenda.)

The customers are interesting and the tech is pretty solid. The benefits are what you would expect from a firm that wants to hire top talent, in other words, extensive and high quality.

The company continues to grow at quite a fast rate, and that is an imperative. The acquisitions are part of that and it's quite clear that they are necessary since there is only so much organic growth coming out of the core businesses. If you are in a "good" territory / team / department, this may in fact be a dreamjob. There are quite a lots of employees who are able to devote many hours (days) to volunteer causes, company social functions, training opportunities and so on. This is particularly the case if you are employed in one of the hub offices.

Cons

The rapid growth and the pressure around quarterly metrics is starting to come at the expense of cohesion and quality. The annual reorganization of the business is quite disruptive and is particularly problematic in business areas where the sales cycles are longer, like the more heavily regulated verticals or larger enterprise environments where aligning stakeholders and building vision takes time. You can work your &#$# off here and have all that worked handed off to someone else in a new fiscal. Happens a lot.

Above the mid management/senior director level, the political environment resembles the Hunger Games. The lack of capable management and the lack of transparency around career progression / promotion are a drag on the business and a significant business risk. The departures of more tenured people should be very concerning to leadership; just look at the difference in the reviews of new (<1 year) employees and those with 5 or more years of experience. It's not a positive marker. There is a reason that the employee survey now asks about the "psychological safety" of our workplace. Leadership should be commended for recognizing that this is a problem, but now needs to actually do something to fix it. Just adding a feedback app and calendar reminders to use it are probably not going to get the job done.

Once you are hired, progression within the company can be difficult. There is a policy that all internal transfers should be lateral in terms of grade and compensation, even if an external candidate with the same credentials would be offered significantly more compensation and a bigger title. There is a sense that the only way to get a promotion is often to threaten to (or actually) resign and unfortunately, plenty of evidence that this is an effective strategy.

Advice to Management

The company's attention to culture, values and social justice are admirable. Recognize that those efforts also create an expectation within the firm that ALL management will demonstrate those values - something that is far from reality. This is not a problem that is going to be solved with Trailhead. Cultivating good people managers who can support and develop talent within the company should be as much of a priority as sales, and great management talent should be celebrated and rewarded. Likewise, those who treat people poorly, have significant attrition or staff departing for other teams should not be retained in management positions.

"Good employer that makes themselves look great through extensive marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are in the right business area, maintaining a good work/life balance is very easy. There are some employees spending as much as 50% of their time on volunteer activity - literally logging more than a thousand hours of volunteer time a year. The support that the company offers its employees in times of need is exceptional, and the care and understanding of middle management is genuine. I care for all of my team members well being, and support them personally and professionally as much as possible. So do my colleagues.

Cons

Underneath the facade, Salesforce is focused on perception more than reality. VTO isn't volunteer time off at all. It's voluntold time on-top (of existing work load) for most of the company. We have targets for VTO set, but many business units aren't staffed appropriately to actually take the time off. Instead it's just adding work load on top of our existing work load. Also, the company really exemplifies the wealth gap, with those at the top heavily rewarded with expensive trips, awards (including cars, watches, etc.) while the majority of the company is paid somewhere around the 75th percentile of industry. We once had a travel freeze but the company still sent the top 100+ employees to a big shindig in Hawaii - and they broadcast it and insisted that everyone across the company "tune in" to it remotely. Wow.

Advice to Management

Focus more on results and less on perception. Eventually the wrong (or right, perhaps?) person will see behind the curtain.

Salesforce Response

Mar 1, 2019 – President and Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave this detailed feedback. We believe it's important to gather our leaders together twice a year to align on our business priorities and have tough conversations... More

"Dreamjob"

Current Employee - Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits (6 months pat leave), Foundation hours, unlimited PTO, work life balance, alternative medicine covered by health, great people, great facilities, work from home, company events,

Cons

its a sales and marketing heavy company and probably why it's doing so well. But with that comes the stereotypical sales and marketing personalities...

Advice to Management

Don't recognize people that worked long hours and didn't get any sleep. One shouldn't have to sacrifice like this to be recognized... where were you when they needed help?

"Amazing Company"

Current Employee - LMTS Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - LMTS Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance
    Employees feel Ohana
    Amazing management
    All over Innovation

Cons

Doesn't match FANG Companies compensation

7. "Awesome company and culture"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great values, diverse culture and perks

Cons

Very competitive and lot of politics

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture

8. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work in my view

Cons

Hard to move across teams compared to other companies

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company that seems to care about employees workload.
    Company that seems to care about employees well-being.
    RSUs
    Good Bonuses
    Great opportunities.

Cons

It can feel like a large company at times with red tape.

Advice to Management

Keep caring about your employees and the work we are putting out as a company.

10. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Supplier Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Supplier Relationship Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, culture, flexibility, volunteer opportunities, growing rapidly,

Cons

Time zone difference between HQ and other sites