Salesforce Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.2

3,055 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Probably couldn't find a better work-life balance anywhere in the bay (in 221 reviews)

• great culture and 1/1/1 is inspiring (in 94 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge but it is supported by management (in 167 reviews)

• Fast paced, expect to be held to quota every month (in 95 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Hard work, but amazing!"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The 1-1-1 Model here (google it) and a tangible benefit that results of it is 7 full days of VTO (volunteer time off) to be used responsibly at your discretion. Matching gifts to a non-profit of your choice.

- Benefits here overall are incredible
    - ESPP is attractive
    - Time off is generous
    - comp package works in your favor- i.e. hard work does in fact = revenue.
    - equipment is all up-to-date and excellent (iPhone as work phone, and MacBook as laptop)
    - Training that consists of bootcamp in San Francisco, and further training at a local hub. Ongoing trailheads and updates also keep you on your toes.
    - Fast-paced environment
    - Great culture
    - Talented professionals
    - Collaborative environment across different segments
    - Brand recognition
    - Smooth employee processes in the background (payroll, time logged, benefit tracking, incentive tracking, employee profile, etc).
    - Continuous acquisitions of companies continues to strengthen our products and offerings.
    - Snacks, events, and happy hours
    - Flexibility and autonomy given to consult with your clients
    - Networking opportunities here are endless

Cons

- You can feel "left-behind" here at times, so it's crucial to stay organized to keep up with the pace, especially early on.
    - Work-life balance (self-induced): it's easy to become attached to your work and your accounts, and it trickle over into your personal life after hours, or on weekends.
    - Difficult quota to hit, but that's for a reason. if this were easy I suppose they would let anyone in.

Can't think of anything else. It's hard to find things wrong with Salesforce, in fact this section took me a lot longer to provide the bullet points above then the pros section.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next, and hope to continue growing my career here.

"Still a lot of opportunity to learn, connect, and chart your own course, but Big Company culture is encroaching."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've spent over 8 years with Salesforce in various management and individual contributor roles, all customer or partner facing. Some of the pros:
    - vibrant, fast paced culture
    - smart, fun, aggressive colleagues
    - management is focused on latest tech trends and staying or becoming a leader for many of them
    - by and large, customers and partners are very positive about the technology
    - good benefits and perqs
    - hip urban culture at HQ
    - a chart-your-own-course mentality that rewards those who aggressively seek out the job they want and pursue it, or sometimes even create it

Cons

After my long tenure and many Dreamforce conferences, I'm nearly fried. To say the culture is fast paced and the focus is always changing is an understatement. The reason Salesforce always seems on top, and chasing the latest trend, and in the press, is because employees are expected to run harder, carry more, cheer loudly, and pivot constantly. It's the world's biggest startup in behavior. But at the same time, with the recent influx of top career sales leaders from Oracle and what appears to be a board-level mandate for doubling revenue, employees are being asked to do even more with even less, fill higher quotas with smaller territories, less help, and the big company bureaucracy is rearing it's ugly head.

Worse still is the politics. When you hire a bunch of smart, aggressive people, and put them in an environment of outsized expectations, throw in a bunch of re-orgs and changing management, and sprinkle with uncertainty and constantly changing priorities, you inevitably get people back stabbing each other and throwing others under the bus to appear smarter and more worthy of promotion.

The few at the top will get very, very rich. The rest will lose the sense of personal ownership and start to wonder why they've given up health and family

Advice to Management

The further you get from the foundational vision of creating great products and ensuring customer success, and instead recruit big company people focused on ego and self-promotion and growing a fiefdom, the more Salesforce starts to become just another Oracle or SAP or Microsoft. My sense is, that's what the board wants. If so, so be it. There will be another innovative and passionate startup to disrupt salesforce some day soon.

"Strategic Account Manager"

Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good at company execution. High quality of people. Great products that work as advertised. Leader in its field. Sales driven organisation.

Cons

High turnover in sales management. Job satisfaction dependent on direct manager. Sales driven organisation

Advice to Management

Appreciate that enterprise sales takes a longer view and often begins with small beachhead wins - stop the aggressive sales culture that creates turnover.

"Best place to ever be fired from"

Former Employee - QA Tester in New York, NY
    Former Employee - QA Tester in New York, NY

I worked at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seriously though, one of the VPs called me personally to tell me there were a round of lay-offs and I would be effected.

They paid us till the end of the month and THEN gave us (a generous) severance.

They even set us all up with a company that specified in helping find people jobs (and professionally re-did my resume) and allowed people access to their work computer for the rest of the month in case they needed Word or something similar.

Cons

I mean they DID let me go, which kind of stunk... but I'm not really angry.

Advice to Management

The Hawaiian language obsession was a little weird, maybe tone it down? Or don't, honestly it was also kind of cute I guess.

"There's Just Nothing Like It"

I worked at Salesforce full-time

Pros

1. The V2MOM - its unbelievable the power of this tool to align an org!
    2. The Culture - it drives diversity, camaraderie and giving back
    3. The Opportunities - from travel to promotion to training and self-improvement

Cons

1. The pace can be intense, manageable, but intense
    2. Lots of acquisitions - how do they fit in? What priority do they take? Is it sustainable?

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the boundaries of what it means to run one of the largest SaaS companies in the world!

Salesforce Response

Aug 21, 2017 – President and Chief People Officer

Thanks for such great feedback! I'm a huge fan of our V2MOM process as well, and I believe the alignment, prioritization, and accountability it drives have a lot to do with our success. You have... More

6. "Best Culture by far"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of Salesforce is one of the many reasons I love working here. You feel included and when you do not, there is a platform to voice that and it is accepted.

Cons

Lack of diversity but it is an ongoing initiative which I value.

Advice to Management

No advice to give.

7. "Lead Solution Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Solutions Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great on boarding process, everyone is professional and Nice

Cons

Very busy schedule, peer pressure

"Culture Whack-a-Mole"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Great pay, great offices, great benefits, free and healthy beverages and snacks, and fully staffed coffee bars. The 1-1-1 model of giving back and the company culture are just great. There are worse places to work for sure.

Cons

The Kool-Aid is powerful here and for good reason. Salesforce is a highly visible and very successful company led by a charismatic CEO coupled with an amazing culture. The yearly Dreamforce conference is a thing of wonder. Salesforce consistently ranks at the top of best places to work surveys and for good reason. There are HUGE plus points to being here.

However, there is some serious rot inside of the system around 1) the Ohana (family) culture, 2) inept middle management and a lack of transparency, and 3) equality (aka diversity and inclusion). I’m writing this now before I become too comfortable and too vested to speak up.

There have been many situations where Ohana is the opposite of what I’ve seen in many situations during my short time at Salesforce. Some people and teams are petty and hard to work with.

The Ohana culture comes from the top, and that’s a great thing. Marc Benioff has made some clear and newsworthy moves, which are great. However, the Ohana culture is hit or miss.

There are stories of people one level below Benioff treating other employees quite badly. Also, the company is growing so fast that people who ought not be managers are managers. The ranks are populated it with awful mid-level managers that seem to have no idea how to work with people and lack essential management knowledge and skills. The company is so fast-paced that it’s not possible to take the time needed to learn them either. It’s happened to me, and I’ve heard other first-hand accounts of people in the organization that deal with their co-workers with aggressiveness and passive-aggressiveness, politics, gossip, and a good amount of foot dragging or back-stabbing.

To his credit, when stories of bad behavior and mismanagement get to the top, Benioff shuts it down quickly. I’ve seen it, and the change that comes is swift. But it’s usually just a patch. However, the problem comes from exactly that. The company is growing at such a fast rate that he can’t catch all the rot in the system and make sure it’s fixed. Benioff and his team simply can’t see all of the problems that pop up in varying levels of the company. My feeling is also people don’t want to share the bad stuff with him.

It’s cultural-rot whack a mole. There is a new internal feedback app, but it feels like a bandaid when what’s really needed is surgery and physical therapy.

The culture discourages full transparency. If you complain you’re running a real risk of being ignored or scolded. I’ve seen that happen. After all, it’s one of the best places to work, right? Who are you to complain?! You better suck it up because tons of people really want to be here.

There isn’t any outright corporate warfare between employees and teams because that would be seen as too aggressive. That would be healthier and easier to resolve. What it means is there are a lot of sly maneuvers, working in silos, budget and headcount fights, and teams and co-workers that keep essential information from each other.

I don’t have much faith that their equality team and initiatives can really affect change. Some people on that team don’t have a track record of diversity and inclusion. How can you lead the charge on equality when it’s not an issue you’re vested in? You can’t claim equality is important when you don’t take the time to stop, listen, learn, and act.

The focus is on PR and there is an unrealistic focus on scale. Scale will follow when people can make intentional moves to bring people in. Those people will then refer their contacts. People will see diverse candidates joining and will want to follow. If equality were quick and easy all of these companies would be showing incredible numbers. Instead, there is a lot of talk and waste. Middle managers talk about equality and diversity while still packing their teams with people that look just like them. People flying here and there blowing the budget on expensive programs instead of being allies to people at the company right here and now that need support.

The same goes for public-facing events. With all of the talk of no budget or headcount on a lot of teams. Why blow money on a fancy awards ceremony when the program isn't even one year old? (Google "Salesforce Equality Awards" and you'll find it.) You get great PR, get to expense a trip, get pictures with some influential people, pat yourselves on the back about how progressive you are, have a fancy and expensive party, and reward privileged people with an award. What you’re really doing blowing money that could be used to make a real difference by hiring people who’d shift the needle. Put that money to teams where they can aggressively pursue and hire diverse candidates and pay them a competitive wage. Build an incentive into the system: refer diverse candidates and get a bonus if they’re hired. Hold managers accountable when they pass over qualified diverse candidates.

Right now, what I'm seeing is lots of great PR, feel good moments, and no real moves shift the numbers.

Other points:

HR is pretty awful. Getting through a recruiting cycle takes forever in many cases: tons of candidates and lots of work for the recruiting team coupled with hiring managers and teams that don’t make moving the candidate through the pipeline a real priority. As a result, you have candidates languishing for weeks.

How they handle issues around budget and headcount is awful. Lots of last minute decision making and lots of demands without the matching budget so a lot of stress.

How they deal with contractors is the antithesis of the Ohana culture. They should really rethink and fix how they work with them.

Advice to Management

I write this because I care. I hope that they actually read it, take it seriously, and fix things now. This is an important moment for Salesforce.

I’m rooting for the company, and I hope to find a team where mismanagement, hypocrisy, and waste are at a minimum. Until then I realize how good I’ve got it, but, shake things up and fix it or else it’s going to get worse. It’s sad seeing a company that’s so magical lose a lot of what makes it great.

Salesforce Response

Apr 25, 2017 – EVP, Global Employee Success

Thank you for this detailed feedback. There are a lot of important points in your review, and I would love to meet with you to discuss your experiences in person. If you are open to it, please reach... More

9. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Salesforce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your colleagues feel like family, the benefits and perks are top notch, and there are a lot of opportunities to take on new challenges and move around within the company.

Cons

Large company, red tape, too many systems and apps

10. "Design Lead"

I have been working at Salesforce full-time

Pros

Brilliant team to work with. Great benefits. Awesome manager.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons at this point.

Showing 3,055 of 3,238 reviews