Amazon Data Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Amazon Data Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2017

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reston, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Reston, VA).

Interview

Applied Online. The recruiter called first. This was then followed by a technical phone Interview (Most of the questions were related to SQL basics and data modeling). This was then followed by an On-Site Interview (5 Interviews).

Interview Questions

• A lot of the questions were based off the resume.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Amazon

Data Engineer Interview

Interview

Contacted by the HR who then scheduled a phone interview with the team. There was a 30 minutes interview with a member of the team, SQL queries had to be written on the online interface.
    The role called for a person with a atleast 3 years experience!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

First, the hiring manager contacted me on LinkedIn. After which I was asked for my resume and then HR setup the technical phone screening. Interviewer showed up about 10 mins late and took about 1 hour for the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Usual stuff - tell me about your work experience, current project etc.
      Then proceeded to their online SQL coding site. Given sample tables and asked various questions involving Outer Joins & Cross Joins, Sub Queries, Query to fill missing data etc

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon in May 2017.

Interview

This was the first technical interview which happened after the initial screening. The interviewer was amiable and amiable. He explained about the role and the work involved in enough details for the candidate to get an idea. After the mandatory "tell me about yourself" he delved into the technical questions followed by behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. SQL concepts - Joins etc.
      2. DWH concepts - Types of schemas etc.
      3. Scenario based behavioral concepts - How did you handle conflict with your managers at your previous workplace?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out and setup a phone screen for what I think was the Amazon Alexa team here in Cambridge, MA.
    A technical link was provided for the interview. Interviewer calls 12 mins late and we spend the entire time just talking. The kind of work I have done at my company and what kind of innovative solutions I have provided to really challenging problems.
    The interview ended with 5 minutes for a Dimensional modelling problem.
    The entire process was very non-standard compared to other big companies and when you don't move to the next level for such a technical role without even being tested on your technical skills you are bound to have some amount of resentment.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is the most challenging problem you solved at your company?
      2. How did you go above and beyond your role to keep the customers or business owners of your project happy?
      3. What was a way you found a really innovative solution to a problem?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Too long enough for HR to reach out to me, but no HR screening interview, jump straight into a technical interview. After technical interview, I am not interested in further steps.

Interview Questions

• Typical Data Engineer questions with technical questions specifically about Python, mostly detail coding.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview started with job description and duties to perform in the team if selected
    Interviewer then questions on current work roles & responsibilities
    Questions on Databases
    Questions on Datawarehouse concepts
    Questions on Performance Tuning
    After that asked SQL technical questions

Interview Questions

• 1. What difference have you made in current team apart from regular work ?
      2. What are the steps you follow to rebuild a table in database ?
      3. How did you do performance tuning ?
      4. How do you find the skewness of data in table ?
      5. Difference between RDBMS and Dimensional Modeling

3 222 1 01/05/2017
      3 222 1 01/06/2017
      3 111 1 01/06/2017
      3 111 1 01/04/2017

Q: How many customers bought each product how many times during the week?

Product_Id Number_of Customers Number_of_Times

1 20 2
      1 15 3
      1 30 4

Q.
      a) How do you print the usage_amount of previous/consecutive rows
      b) Without using window functions

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon.

Interview

Extremely disappointed with the over process and the approach of the interviewers.
    This was the second time in 4 years I had applied and hoped for a better experience but unfortunately no.

***************
    The first time I was repeatedly interrupted while answering questions and i felt a bit of an ego issue where the interviewer was only willing to hear what his approach of a solution was and there was no update whatsoever after that , not even an email stating I was rejected.
    **************

****************************
    This time I though It might be better but it wasn't. Its a surprise a company as big as amazon can not have a defined recruitment process , I was approached by a recruiter online and was asked if I was interested in applying for a few open roles. I was and I went ahead by sharing my profile.

No one explained what the process would be , I was asked to respond to a small questionnaire and then got an email for a technical discussion . the person taking the interview had no idea what position I was applying for , neither he knew if I had done the questionnaire.
    After this discussion I was told that I would be getting another call for a technical discussion.
    This time the interviewer asked a few SQL questions but was not willing to take answers rather kept saying , can you solve it by a different way.Anyway this was done and then I get an email that I there would be 3rd technical discussion. Again this time as well the interviewer had no idea what position or department i was being interviewed for and asked a few SQL questions that I answered.

A few days later got an email that they are considering other for the role.
    Although I was disappointed by being rejected , I was more pissed off with the entire process where i feel amazon team is just going through the interview process without knowing what they need and how to evaluate people.
    ***************************

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Amazon in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was well coordinated by a recruiter. Recruiter informed priorly what expected in the interview. Interview started with my current experience and then BI questions. Then interviewer started asking Data warehouse questions. I haven't informed to expect DW questions. So, i failed to answer to the full extent. Then asked some SQL coding. Interview was quite cool except DWH questions

Interview Questions

• Asked real-time BI questions and 3 SQL queried and basics of DWH   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Amazon (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. I got phone screen after 1 week.
    The phone screen took 1 hour. 40 mins on SQL problem, asking you write code on a code link.

Interview Questions

• The interview was highly focused SQL questions such as finding the third high, finding the newest one.   3 Answers
    • Tell me one difficulty you met in your experience.   Answer Question